|homepage||sevenstring guitars||sevenstring registry||photo gallery||subscription||spy|
|07-06-2012, 08:17 AM||#1|
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nashville, TN
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Darren Hippner 8 string classical
Brief & Accurate Description of gear/guitar: Here's something that doesn't pop up everyday. This guitar was originally commisioned by Andrew Schulman in 2008 who is a prominent 8 string player out of New York. This is a players guitar as it has some light nail marks and string dings in and around the bridge from playing (there's a ding on the back too). It also has some finish haze from where he used a leg cushion with suction cups on the bottom bout. You have to have the sun reflecting correctly on the guitar to see it or any of the nail marks. I've tried to show this as best as possible in the pictures. This guitar new would run 4k+ and be about a year wait. It plays great with low action and no buzzing. The sound is big, warm, and deep. The low strings really move some air and add a huge depth of sound. Comes with a fitted softshell case. Feel free to ask any questions.
Modifications (if any): none
Accessories (hardshell case etc): softshell case
Location (City,State or City,Country): Nashville, TN
International OK? : no
Contact Info (No Phone #s) PM on here
References (eBay or other forum userid): on here
Price (include currency and if firm/obo): $1900 shipped/pp'd to the states
1) String length - 652mm, as per Gilbert system - edge of nut to mid-
12th fret: 326mm. From mid-12th to front of saddle at first string,
compensated approximately.5mm-.7mm, and saddle is angled back
.5mm to the bass side.
2) Fret placement - Gilbert system.
3) Fretboard width at the nut - 66mm.
4) Fretboard width at the 12th fret - 76mm
5) Depth: Bottom Bout - approximately 100mm
Depth: Upper Bout - approximately 100mm
6) Bottom lower bout width - 368-370mm
7) String spacing at the nut -
Center-center, 1-6th - 43mm
Center-center, 6-7th - 7.5mm
Center-center, 7-8th - 7mm
8) String spacing at the saddle -
Center-center, 1-6th - 55mm
Center-center, 6-7th - 9.5mm
Center-center, 7-8th - 9mm
Saddle width - 2.5mm
9) Saddle standing straight up (not slanted backward).
10) Bridge wood high enough along saddle length so right
amount of saddle shows over edge. (not too much or too little
along length of saddle, especially at 7th and 8th strings).
11) Saddle material: Wooly Mammoth Ivory
12) Nut width - 4.5mm
Preferred nut material: Cow Bone
13) Lip at nut - 5mm from 1st string to edge
14) Neck thickness'
3rd fret - 19.8mm
9th fret - 21mm
(Neck shaped with slightly less mass on treble side portion and a
more rounded portion from center junction of neck on bass side).
15) Traditional non-elevated fretboard.
16) Tung oil for back of neck.
17) Radius in fretboard - about 24", minimal radius but not flat.
18) String holes in bridge - 2 hole type for 1-6, 1 hole type for 7 & 8.
19) Action -
1st string/12th fret: 3mm
6th string/12th fret: 4mm
7th & 8th strings/12th fret 4.8-5mm (the saddle has to be one
19) Carved (beveled) side slots on the head where the
strings meet the rollers and a square (Hauser) style ramp to facilitate
the angle of nut to roller string stretch so none come in contact with
one another which may hamper the tone and cause rattling while
20) Gilbert's. Tuning gears very smooth at each post.
21) Frets - Dunlop 6150 (a little wider and lower than the 6105),
please make as smooth as possible and make sure there is no
sharpness especially at treble side edges).
22) K&K undersaddle pickup
23) Single soundport, alla FritzMueller