homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
TheGuiltyUnpunished

danenachtrieb is just really nicedanenachtrieb is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Tuning backup to standard and changing styles

dude i just realized the other day that in my bre core phase i was in when i bought a seven, I have never played a seven in standard tuning. seriously. as i keep pushing myself away from the whole "core" thing i realized HOLY SHIT i really like playing in standard. from now on im writing in standard fo sho. I guess with the whole deathcore thing, I was really into it because it was new(if you dont count suffocation) and really heavy and it was very popular but now i've realized that it is a fad and im checking out before my band gets lumped in with it. actually lately ive been writng shit like cradle mixed with aborted. hope that turns out good. anybody else checking out of deathcore or feel what im saying?
danenachtrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-22-2009, 11:44 PM   #2
Banned

Anthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud ofAnthony has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I'm the opposite haha. I can't write in standard for shit now if it's metal.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 12:34 AM   #3
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
I switch back and forth all the time (gotta get a second 7), I love writing metal tunes in standard.

For some sweet progressive/grunge/metal, check out my band:
www.facebook.com/wearenihilistcrane

Our debut ep will be available April 1st!

For all my solo stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/brianharrigan
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I've only ever played in standard except for my backup-backup 6-string which is tuned in 5ths. I really would like to spend more time with the 5ths tuning but have been way too busy lately.
troyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
I know most of the deathcore bands drop tune, but Winds of Plague, for the most part, play 6 strings in standard tuning FWIW.
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 01:54 AM   #6
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Cant forget about Unearth

Also, I think Whitechapel plays in Drop A
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 01:59 AM   #7
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
I don't see how you can get lumped into "-core" by playing in dropped tunings, sure the "-core" bands use those same tunings but they're "-core" because of their sound, not their tuning.

The majority of the metal stuff I write is in some sort of dropped tuning because I really like the interval it creates with the bottom 2 strings. Drop tuning hate is ridiculous
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #8
ss.org Regular

vigil785 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabguitarist View Post
I don't see how you can get lumped into "-core" by playing in dropped tunings, sure the "-core" bands use those same tunings but they're "-core" because of their sound, not their tuning.

The majority of the metal stuff I write is in some sort of dropped tuning because I really like the interval it creates with the bottom 2 strings. Drop tuning hate is ridiculous
+1

I used to always play in standard but when I first got into lamb of god I realised how much I liked writing in dropped tuning. Now I dont like writing in standard.
vigil785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 02:23 AM   #9
Sir Roger Moore, KBE

Bungle is a glorious beacon of lightBungle is a glorious beacon of lightBungle is a glorious beacon of light
I used to make my own tunings and stuff like that a few years back. Then I realised that it sucked having to change tunings every time I wanted to play a different song (it was that or get 15 guitars haha).

Now my sevens are in standard and my sixes are in standard most of the time too, maybe drop-D for certain songs and occasionally D standard if I've got the strings on for it.

Actually I just tried Dimebag's 1/4 step down tuning the other day (actually, tune down to Eb and then go up 40 cents) just for shits and giggles.

Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
ERG Ambassador

lucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to all
I prefer playing in standard. I used to be a dropped tuning whore back in the day but I prefer playin in standard nowadays. But I ocasionally play drop tunings.
lucasreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
---

abysmalrites is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, drop tunings =/= 'core. They can make things a lot easier if you're playing extremely technical brutal death.

But, even though that is the case, I like my standard tunings.

These self-conceived walls close in upon us
And we shall never see the light of day
abysmalrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
Such a strange numb

-mouse- is just really nice-mouse- is just really nice
i dont really like playing in standard... I have to at least be a half-step down to feel comfortable....
-mouse- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #13
TheGuiltyUnpunished

danenachtrieb is just really nicedanenachtrieb is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by abysmalrites View Post
Yeah, drop tunings =/= 'core. They can make things a lot easier if you're playing extremely technical brutal death.

But, even though that is the case, I like my standard tunings.
I didnt mean to say they go hand in hand even though it definitely sounded that way, sorry. Im just saying my playing and writing are both changing severely.
danenachtrieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

TheAceOfSpades1 will become famous soon enough
After trying out numerous tunings I found my comfort zone is a half-step down from standard. That is what all my instruments are tuned to besides my Jeff Loomis signature 7-string which is in standard. (ironically Jeff himself plays a half-step down...)
I thought about the idea of getting a 6-string to tune to open D to play material from Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" album and see what I could do with that tuning but I don't have the money for that anytime soon.
TheAceOfSpades1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 04:46 AM   #15
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Seeing as my only guitar that is a sixer has a F as it's lowest string, I don't think I'll be keeping my future 7 (or 7s) in standard.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 06:50 AM   #16
---

abysmalrites is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by danenachtrieb View Post
I didnt mean to say they go hand in hand even though it definitely sounded that way, sorry. Im just saying my playing and writing are both changing severely.
It's all good. My other guitarist used to be stuck on drop tunings as well... then he joined my band and we play in A standard. He's big into the -core scene, especially since his other band plays in that genre. I agree with you - changing from drop exclusive playing to standard tunings can have a big effect on your playing.

These self-conceived walls close in upon us
And we shall never see the light of day
abysmalrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #17
Headbobbing Galore

Xanithon is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by abysmalrites View Post
Nile.
/thread

I love playing dropped tunings, its really fun to mess around in.

Xanithon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #18
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
^ Yeah. Tool and Nile both play in dropped tunings-Drop D and Drop A, respectively.

But I do know what you mean about the guys who drop tune for no reason other than to do boring chugs with one fingered powerchords.

I play in an all fifths tuning, so I can do that all over the fretboard with little effort, but I really prefer to play other types of chords, because I've heard way too many powerchords. Yes, they are a great way to fill out the root note and sound great through distortion but they are very vanilla (to me at least).

As always, IMHO

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
SS.org Regular

Mindcrime1204 is just really niceMindcrime1204 is just really nice
I keep almost all my axes in standard... I jam with a lot of different people and its just easier that way for me. I have a 6 layin around in CGCFAD for the ones that are scared of 440
Mindcrime1204 is offline   Reply With Quote