homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
SS.Org's Irish Guy

777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Do you need guitar lessons? (rant)

so im talking to this girl ive been seeing and one of her mates/ex-bf is in a metal band who i saw play in town recently, hes pretty good but tbh i think me and him are on the same level.

Now this girl has seen me play (youtube vids etc) and says to me "hey "name" is teaching do you need lessons?"

I was really offended by this and the conversation continues onto "but hes been playing 20 years!" I changed the topic but i think its kinda ignorant to say someone whos been playing 20 years is automatically better than someone else whose been playing less time... maybe he is slightly better but anything he has i could practice and get down........

Didnt help that hes her Ex-bf, made me feel like im ....ing shit

Know what i mean

/rant
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #2
Smokestack Lightning

telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Yeah, I think you overreacted a little bit. Seems to me like she was just getting the word out for him.

edit: How long have you been playing? Just curious.
telecaster90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
SS Contributor

cyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
if you think you know everything, then you're probably wrong. i don't think you can ever stop learning things when it comes to music. always nice to pick up tips from more experienced players.
cyril v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

defchime is a jewel in the rough
I recently started getting theory lessons (from my sister) because I realized how little I knew about guitar and music for that matter.

I don't think people need lessons, but you should know your theory. BUT I have still yet to have seen someone play some Spawn of Possession just by looking at the standard notation....there is no goddamn way you can play technical death metal just by looking at the sheet music, I dont even care if you know absolutely everything about music, it can't be done.

so in conclusion, you dont need lessons as long as you dont challange people who do know theory...would this guy be teaching you what a D chord is? or what because you dont need to know how to play a D chord to play guitar lol.
defchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:31 PM   #5
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
Keep learning, at all times. She probably figured you're serious about guitar, she knows someone who's really good and wants serious students, maybe you'd be interested? I would. I've had many different teachers with different experiences, you can't buy that sort of thing.

- edit - It's worth mentioning that most of my guitar lessons have consisted of discussing guitar playing, and playing together using concepts we'd just discussed, rather than actual practice. 99% of my technique is self taught, so is my repertoire. Doesn't mean I'd be anywhere near the player I am without getting lessons.

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
SS.org-er

caughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I too would probably be a little miffed if I were you, but it's probably irrational annoyance, fuelled by the fact that he is an ex of hers.
caughtinamosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #7
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by defchime View Post
there is no goddamn way you can play technical death metal just by looking at the sheet music, I dont even care if you know absolutely everything about music, it can't be done.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
SS.Org's Irish Guy

777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of777 has much to be proud of
I forgot to mention im getting 2 lessons a week in music college
777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
I forgot to mention im getting 2 lessons a week in music college
I've taken lessons for 12 years, still do.

- edit - Sorry, misread your post. Thought you said you DID take lessons in college. My bad.

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Gives Life Meaning

White Cluster is a name known to allWhite Cluster is a name known to allWhite Cluster is a name known to allWhite Cluster is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ask her if she wants to take dick-sucking lessons from your ex-gf..That should shut her up...or make her leave
White Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
SS.org-er

caughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud ofcaughtinamosh has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Cluster View Post
Ask her if she wants to take dick-sucking lessons from your ex-gf..That should shut her up...or make her leave
OK, this is what *not* to do is you want to be a guinea pig for such activities.
Unread 09-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #12
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
She clearly either didn't know any better or she's just promoting him because he's giving guitar lessons.

Don't beat yourself up over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by defchime View Post
I don't think people need lessons, but you should know your theory. BUT I have still yet to have seen someone play some Spawn of Possession just by looking at the standard notation....there is no goddamn way you can play technical death metal just by looking at the sheet music, I dont even care if you know absolutely everything about music, it can't be done.
The sheer false-itude of this statement boggles the mind...
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 11:07 PM   #13
Parker über alles

yingmin is a splendid one to beholdyingmin is a splendid one to beholdyingmin is a splendid one to beholdyingmin is a splendid one to beholdyingmin is a splendid one to behold
Is she really an accurate judge of ability? Would she know enough about music to say with any level of authority which one of you is better? Most girls who are not musicians (for that matter, most PEOPLE who are not musicians, and even many who are) have a very skewed perception of what makes someone a good musician. She might think he's a better guitarist for reasons that are meaningless to somebody who actually knows music.

I have a problem cn this mod ke the eicoli and the infantry cn a blow dies what can make?

excused for the errors but are Italian
yingmin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 04:13 AM   #14
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
I understand why you got offended, and that makes perfect sense to me - i think most of us would be caught a bit off-guard, and have a similar reaction.

That said, do you feel You personally need lessons?

I don't necessarily need lessons per se, but I would like to get lessons again so that I can learn in a structured environment and further my playing abilities.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:32 AM   #15
Singlecoils = tr00

Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
I don't necessarily need lessons per se, but I would like to get lessons again so that I can learn in a structured environment and further my playing abilities.
Exactly. As I've said before, there's a difference between what you need and what you'd benefit from.

Unread 09-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #16
dotlike

loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.loktide is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
this.

loktide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #17
Geek-chic

liamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Ask her if she wants to take dish-washing lessons from your ex-gf..That should shut her up...or make her leave
Fixed
liamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #18
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
To take the thread title a bit literally, I don't think anyone needs lessons from anyone else as such, but yet of course I believe guitarists should learn about certain things and of course have good technique as to prevent/reduce the risk of injuries.
The best players are always the humble guys.
They got good because they stayed humble and knew they could keep improving.
I always tell myself I'm a pretty mediocre player even if others don't think so, just because it keeps my motivated to improve.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #19
ss.org Regular

katierose is a jewel in the rough
Does this girl play guitar? No. Tell her to get back in the kitchen. Maybe she was just trying to be nice and it came off wrong. Either way I wouldn't let it get to you.
katierose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by katierose View Post
Does this girl play guitar? No. Tell her to get back in the kitchen.
Awesome
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:47 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
If I had the money and time I would always be getting lessons.
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

SerratedSkies is just really niceSerratedSkies is just really nice
Quote:

Seriously, this would have been my answer if you had not posted it first.

I found myself in a similar situation the other day. I was "attempting" to teach my ex a thing or two about guitar playing, but she's a former scene chick so we really didn't get any further than a chug or two. A friend of my younger brothers was interested in purchasing an old RG7321 that I had laying around, so I told him to come through around the time we were... "chugging". I told him to plug in and give it a go and try and get the feel for the guitar. He proceeds to play some generic sounding folk-metal bullshit, and for some reason my ex had to shout out that this kid was better than me. Now, naturally I was pissed, but even this kid looked at me, looked at her, and just shook his head. I grabbed the 1527, comitted to 5 minutes of wankage, and totally shut her the .... up. The problem is, this girl can suck a dick... you see where I'm going with this. She'll still mention that this kid can play better than me, simply to piss me off, but don't worry. I keep the pimp hand wayyyyyyy strong, for real.
SerratedSkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:15 PM   #23
SS.org-er

I think that the bottom line of this thread is as follows -

Poontang comes before all else. It is your main priority. Stray from this path, and face the consequences.
Unread 09-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

Axel is a jewel in the rough
Hmm yea in my experience most girls aren't a good judge in musical ability. I remember playing Bach suites and challenging tremolo pieces for my ex and she would yawn and ask me to play Hotel California.

Personally I think everyone could benefit from lessons. I'm 31 and about to finish a DMA degree in Classical Guitar and I also give lessons myself and my students are always amazed when they find out that I still take lessons.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to improve and truthfully a teacher's personal skill level rarely is a good indicator of how good a teacher they are. I've taken lessons from amazing players who can't teach for shit and taken lessons from decent players who have taught me a lot.

In fact I recently took a few lessons from a guy who is only like 21 years old and definitely learned something. It's hard to be an expert in every style of guitar so even if you feel lessons are no longer needed chances are you're limiting yourself or you're simply wrong
Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
ss.org Regular

Luuk is just really niceLuuk is just really nice
Yeah.. I started guitar when I was 12 years old or so.. Never wanne listen to that guy, at age of 14 I quit guitar lessons for 3 years. 'cause I could learn metalsongs on my own.. Now I'm having lessons in jazz for almost a year. Like a lesson each 3 weeks or so, I'm learning so much every lesson, it's great.

On the other hand, why do you guys even bother when a chick says that somebody else is better than you? Fact is, there's (almost) always someone better than you in a specific style, so what! Enjoy your guitar, don't feel it as a competition.
Luuk is offline   Reply With Quote