homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-24-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Ibanez rulez!

courtney2018 is a glorious beacon of lightcourtney2018 is a glorious beacon of lightcourtney2018 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Last.fm

I was just getting my daily dose of DVICE and I ran across a post about Last.fm, which can be found here. I've never heard of Last.fm, so I was wondering if anyone here has heard of them.

Apparently you can load up your music and it gets streamed to listeners. When it does you get a royalty for that. Also, if you have an album to sell you can do so thru this site, and you get a royalty for that as well. There are other sites that do this as well.

Anyways, just wondered if anybody has ever heard of this place. It's new to me. I'm considering putting my stuff up. I currently only have it at myspace, but nothing is currently for sale.

Any thoughts? Is there a better place? I have a few more bookmarked, so if you know of other places like this list them in your post.

courtney2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-25-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Oneiros will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
yea man, I am oneiros777 its great site great new music to listen to by similarities
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #3
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yeah, last.fm is great! I've had a link to mine in my sig for some time now. I didn't know about the whole "uploading your own music" thing, though.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 03:58 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

Oneiros will become famous soon enough
you can upload, I had it uploaded with my ex band,
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 04:04 AM   #5
Ibanez rulez!

courtney2018 is a glorious beacon of lightcourtney2018 is a glorious beacon of lightcourtney2018 is a glorious beacon of light

I was just trying it out. Typed in "Steve Vai" and see what else they played after the first Vai song. Lots of good bands, but everyone is a major act. I was hoping that hear some unsigned, independent talent.

How does that work? If say someone from here uploads their music on their with hopes that someone is going to listen to it, how do people know the music exists if it's not linked to other big acts?

Oneiros, I tried to search for you on there, but it came up with nothing. Maybe I'm not looking in the right area?

Unread 01-25-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by last.fm
Artist similarity is, in many ways the basis of how Last.fm's recommendation system works; if somebody listens to a lot of Radiohead and your band, other people who like Radiohead will be recommended your band as well. In this way, Last.fm automatically assigns similar artists based on the listening habits of all its users. If your band hasn't been listened to much on Last.fm yet, you can help the system along by assigning similar artists yourself in the label control panel, under Music Setup.
Last.FM - FAQ
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Far too opinionated

ukfswmart is a glorious beacon of lightukfswmart is a glorious beacon of lightukfswmart is a glorious beacon of light
I've been using the service since the days of Audioscrobbler, although I rarely use the radio and artist recommendation facilities as I just want to log my track play history for now
ukfswmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #8
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.
last.fm is good, but what you get is based on what other people are listening to -- No real comparison. Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music is another good site that provides music with similar "musical DNA". I tend to use Pandora more, but last.fm has a better player, community, and will accept your band's music.

There's also Amie Street Music. If you're looking to get "air time" of your music, you can also sell your tracks there.

Ray

P.S. I'm ElRay on Last.fm too.

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
ElRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 05:34 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Luan is just really niceLuan is just really nice
I won a cd over there.
Luan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #10
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Yea I've been using LAST.Fm for several years now. Sometimes it's just fun to see charts and things of the music I listen to, etc. I don't use it for recommendations, I just like stats of my stuff and what my friends listen to.

I didn't know you could upload music and get royalties and stuff, that's good to know.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Guns N Guitars

Zoltta is a name known to allZoltta is a name known to allZoltta is a name known to allZoltta is a name known to all
I think the question is, who HASNT heard of Last.fm? Great site and great way to keep track of music.
Zoltta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 07:02 PM   #12
No More Mr. Nice Guy

Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.
I'm a big user of Last.fm. Here's mine: Mawdyson’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #13
Ibanez rulez!

The other places that I've got book marked for uploading your own music and selling are PureVolume, GarageBand, and of course the popular SoundClick.

It would be nice if you could single out the unsigned and indie music from the mainstream. Maybe you can and I just haven't figured out how to do it yet.

Unread 01-26-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
There's also a company called TuneCore, who will submit your stuff to iTunes and other music services.

Oh, and while we're at it:

Organical – Music at Last.fm

darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #15
Seeking not Found

chaztrip is a glorious beacon of lightchaztrip is a glorious beacon of lightchaztrip is a glorious beacon of light
Last.FM

Just came across this site.....
Last.fm – The Social Music Revolution

seems OK. I have seen some of you on here use it.... Pro's Con's?? Do you like it? Use it much?

Thanks!!
chaztrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 05:38 PM   #16
Ze..

oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.oompa is the epitome of metal.
aye been using it for some years, back then it was just called audioscrobbler. the problem is that you need to have your music tagged properly, and unless your a maniac audiphile perfectionist like me it might require a heavy one-time job with your music collection and a tag program. as i started out maybe 10% of my music was tagged so i probably lost some 30-50k songs or something there, but nowadays even the stuff you dl is tagged everywhere, so its less of an effort today.

as for pro's its easy to use, you get a plugin for winamp or foobar2k or whatever you use and set it to auto login and then you dont notice anything and you can check different stats on the page. its cool that you can find all kinds of groups for tagged genres and find new music. like if you find a dude with good compatibility and say.. you both listen to alot of alice in chains and soundgarden and you see that this guy also listens alot to this band stone temple pilots.. well you get the idea.

its interresting as well to me to see what i really listen to at home. i spend most of my day at work listening to music on a portable player, but there are addons to transfer stuff from portable players to last.fm as well. get an account and try it out, if you find out that you dont care after a few months then just uninstall it =)

Eat Shit. Billions of flies can't be wrong.
oompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 07:31 PM   #17
Far too opinionated

ukfswmart is a glorious beacon of lightukfswmart is a glorious beacon of lightukfswmart is a glorious beacon of light
Use the search, foo'!

Like Oompa, I've been using this since the days of audioscrobbler; there have been some odd bugs along the way, but by and large it works great. I always used the iTunes plugin until they released the standalone app that automatically scrobbles your iTunes plays; that seems to work fine too. And tagging your music isn't an issue if you've bought it all

Now that the iPhone SDK's been released, I cannot wait for a Last.fm iPhone app that will run on a device that isn't Jailbroken. iPod play counts are scrobbled when you sync, but since the music on the iPhone has to be managed manually, the Last.fm app won't pick up on it, which sucks. But! Hopefully an iPhone version will be out not too long after June
ukfswmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #18
No More Mr. Nice Guy

Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.
I use it all the time.

Here's mine: Mawdyson’s Music Profile – Users at Last.fm
Unread 03-10-2008, 09:38 PM   #19
Mostly Harmless

ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.ElRay is the epitome of metal.
If you like last.fm, check-out Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music

Similar idea, but the catalog music based on what the call it's DNA (hence the original title of "The Music Genome Project". So, when it's picking songs, it picks ones that have a similar DNA to the ones you used to create the station.

Last.FM just matches what you listen to with what other folks listen to. So, if the only entries for "My Favorite Technical Metal Bad" are made by a guy who really, really likes Broadway Show Tunes, that's what you'll get as a recomendations based on what you listen to.

Ray

The Ultimate Question: What string gauge is needed for 18.84# of tension when tuned to E2 on a 27" scale guitar?
Unread 03-10-2008, 10:23 PM   #20
Seeking not Found

chaztrip is a glorious beacon of lightchaztrip is a glorious beacon of lightchaztrip is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfswmart View Post
Use the search, foo'!

:

Dude I did..... I looked for Last.fm, LastFM, Last and FM and nothing came up

Maybe it was down.... any way thanks much for the info... site looks cool.
Unread 03-11-2008, 09:09 PM   #21
Mostly Harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaztrip View Post
Dude I did..... I looked for Last.fm, LastFM, Last and FM and nothing came up
I think it has something to do with the minimum search string length. I found the one old thread I knew about an added tags to it an this one.

Regarding Oompa's post about loading your profile, I made a smart play list in iTunes that selected all songs with more than 1 star, played it 24/7, changed it to more than two stars, player it, etc. so that all starred songs appeared in my profile the "correct" number of times.

Ray

Unread 03-11-2008, 09:23 PM   #22
Seeking not Found

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElRay View Post
I think it has something to do with the minimum search string length. I found the one old thread I knew about an added tags to it an this one.

Regarding Oompa's post about loading your profile, I made a smart play list in iTunes that selected all songs with more than 1 star, played it 24/7, changed it to more than two stars, player it, etc. so that all starred songs appeared in my profile the "correct" number of times.

Ray
Thanks Man!!!!
Unread 03-15-2008, 05:04 AM   #23
No More Mr. Nice Guy

I made an SS.org group on Last.fm!

Sevenstring.org – Groups at Last.fm

Check it out. Nothing on there yet, but once it has at least 10 members it'll have charts calculated on a weekly basis like normal accounts. Those of you who have a Last.fm, join up!
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #24
Ibanez Fanboy

amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Hey Mike, whats Last FM?
amonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2008, 06:35 AM   #25
No More Mr. Nice Guy

It's this program/plug-in that you download and it scrobbles all the songs you listen to and makes charts listing the number of times you've listened to artists and songs. Click the link in my sig. for a better idea.