homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-04-2009, 06:13 PM   #26
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIce View Post
As unhelpful as it may be, this still sums up this topic pretty well. Basically, endorsements don't come before success (in 99% of the cases or more, anyway). Ibanez is also, from what I've heard, very hard to get endorsed by either way, much moreso than ESP or Schecter for example.

- edit - However, smaller and less known companies are easier to deal with, if you're only looking for free guitars. They're also easier to contact. I got major discounts from a swedish guitar company for making soundclips of their guitars. I'll be doing some videos and clinics for them later this year (which, by the way, is an AWESOME way of promoting yourself), and after that I'm pretty much set as far as free instruments go. So unless you have to be endorsed by one of the giants right away, this is an alternative.

But then again, it's silly to be chasing endorsements before you reach any success with your music. Focus on establishing yourself and making good music first, then when you start touring for longer periods an endorsement may come in handy.
I'd rep you again if I could. Absolutely right. Already rich and famous people get free shit handed to the left and right, no one was there when they were coming up an really needed it... and, of course smaller companies are easier to get to help you out, and a lot of their custom shops are really good compared to their production shit. First Act, for instance.

That guy's vid was quite informative, and I applaud it... but keep one thing in mind, the amount of time and effort that goes into a lot of that might be better spent just working and saving for the guitar, etc. While there's a lot of overlap there with what your band needs anyway, 60 extra hours chasing an endorsement (which saves you $200 on that $800 guitar) might just be better spent working extra hours at your IT job where you yank down $20/hr. and just going to the guitar store and buying the damn thing.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM   #27
SS.org Regular

toolsound is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Another thing to note about endorsements is that it is a business move. The idea is this: If we give this guy free guitars and ask him to play them exclusively, more people will notice our name and be more likely to buy from us. You may be in a big band, or you may be insanely good at guitar, but if you don't give a company exposure then there's no point in endorsing you.
toolsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 10:22 PM   #28
SS.org Regular

B36arin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by kung_fu View Post
"We need a name! Give us a name!"
Sorry man, I can't. I don't know the guy well enough, and don't know if he'd be ok with me posting his name here. All I can say is that he's an amazing guitarist, which you're likely to be if you're being endorsed by Ibanez.
B36arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #29
Vulcan Lute God

kung_fu is a name known to allkung_fu is a name known to allkung_fu is a name known to allkung_fu is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by B36arin View Post
Sorry man, I can't.
I understand. Having just watched that particular episode of seinfeld (see picture), i was just looking for an excuse to say that.

David Warren Brubeck (December 6, 1920 December 5, 2012)
kung_fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:13 AM   #30
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B36arin View Post
Sorry man, I can't. I don't know the guy well enough, and don't know if he'd be ok with me posting his name here. All I can say is that he's an amazing guitarist, which you're likely to be if you're being endorsed by Ibanez.
I'm sure he doesn't mind publicity if he's trying to make it with his music, but yeah, if you have personal reasons not to show us pics of a brand new never before seen LACS guitar, that's... fine.

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #31
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
I'm sure he doesn't mind publicity if he's trying to make it with his music, but yeah, if you have personal reasons not to show us pics of a brand new never before seen LACS guitar, that's... fine.
No, it's not, post some ....ing pics of this beast!

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #32
SS.org Regular

B36arin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
He's doing quite well.

I don't have any pics. I'm not the photographer type, and I've only seen the guitar gigged once. I tried to have a friend take a picture with his cellphone, but it was from 20 metres away and with a really shitty camera, so it's a worthless pic.
B36arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #33
ss.org Regular

Rob Balducci is a jewel in the rough
Hey ya! I am new to the forum and have been looking around and I came across this post.

I am an Ibanez Endorsee and I have been for 15 years now. There is alot of things being said in these post that are not really true. So I will just tell you my story and maybe that will answer your questions.

First off I am endoresed with many companies and what I tell everybody is, even if I was not endorsed with these companies I would be using the product. There are to many players out there who I call endorsement whores... they want endorsements and thats it. That is not the way to go.

My Ibanez endorsement started about 15 years ago, I won a few guitar contests in New York and was able to secure a D'addario string endorsement and I was playing Ibanez guitars. I met one of the reps backstage at a Zappa Universe show. I had cass of my music and I handed him one. I followed up with him and was persistant in calling and got through and he liked my playing. I was teaching guitar and still do and I was in a band that was playing out a lot. Endorements usually start off with paying reduced prices and you work yourself up. My endorsement started with reduced cost on guitars. One thing I must say about Ibanez is they really support up and coming artists. They endorsed me at the time and I think it says alot about them standing behind players who they think are good and take a chance on them.

My career progressed and I was about to do my first solo cd called Balance this was around 1994 or 1995 and I asked if I could get another guitar but one that was not an artist model etc.. i did not want to use another players guitar etc.. They said yes and I got a purple usa custom etc..

I started doing clincis and gigs.. and my relationship progressed. Now my guitars are made at the LACS and have been for some time. Ibanez makes the best guitars in the world and they very much support artists who are not selling millions. I do not sell millions, but I keep busy doing gigs, teaching, clinics etc...

Thank
RB
Rob Balducci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #34
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Balducci View Post
Hey ya! I am new to the forum and have been looking around and I came across this post.

I am an Ibanez Endorsee and I have been for 15 years now. There is alot of things being said in these post that are not really true. So I will just tell you my story and maybe that will answer your questions.

First off I am endoresed with many companies and what I tell everybody is, even if I was not endorsed with these companies I would be using the product. There are to many players out there who I call endorsement whores... they want endorsements and thats it. That is not the way to go.

My Ibanez endorsement started about 15 years ago, I won a few guitar contests in New York and was able to secure a D'addario string endorsement and I was playing Ibanez guitars. I met one of the reps backstage at a Zappa Universe show. I had cass of my music and I handed him one. I followed up with him and was persistant in calling and got through and he liked my playing. I was teaching guitar and still do and I was in a band that was playing out a lot. Endorements usually start off with paying reduced prices and you work yourself up. My endorsement started with reduced cost on guitars. One thing I must say about Ibanez is they really support up and coming artists. They endorsed me at the time and I think it says alot about them standing behind players who they think are good and take a chance on them.

My career progressed and I was about to do my first solo cd called Balance this was around 1994 or 1995 and I asked if I could get another guitar but one that was not an artist model etc.. i did not want to use another players guitar etc.. They said yes and I got a purple usa custom etc..

I started doing clincis and gigs.. and my relationship progressed. Now my guitars are made at the LACS and have been for some time. Ibanez makes the best guitars in the world and they very much support artists who are not selling millions. I do not sell millions, but I keep busy doing gigs, teaching, clinics etc...

Thank
RB
Good of you to post, as you have first-hand experience! I'm kind of wondering though, relating to what I've heard about John Petrucci getting endorsed through a cassette aswell back in about 1990, is it possible that Ibanez as a company has grown to such proportions and is so established now that the chances of getting endorsed your way has slimmed out? After all, 15 years have passed in your case. I'm just asking in case you know anything about how they deal with new endorsements today.

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:14 PM   #35
ss.org Regular

Mikeibz is a jewel in the rough
Hello all.....I'd be happy to try to answer questions as times permits. I work in Artist Relations at Ibanez....many of the threads hit on valid points, but the truth is, there are many different scenarios that come up and we do look at every endorsement package that comes in. GENERALLY, we do look for artists that tour extensively and are signed to major labels or major independent labels. Touring in small, regional circles is usually not enough as well. There are many very talented individuals who are just not at the exposure level that makes sense for us to become involved in an endorsement capacity. We utilize many of the endorsers in our advertising, clinics and promotional campaigns, and it wouldn't work if we based it solely on being proficient at the instrument. We do deals from every level, from cost on to the provided custom shop instruments that many of you see in this forum or on stages throughout the world.

The address to submit packages is on the website, so if you do submit something, please keep the above info in mind. In addition, it doesn't hurt if the artists are already using Ibanez gear. I can't tell you how many letters I get with people featured in photos with Strats or forget that the letter says "My band loves Schecter..." Please proofread your stuff before you send! haha

Mike
Mikeibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #36
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeibz View Post
Hello all.....I'd be happy to try to answer questions as times permits. I work in Artist Relations at Ibanez....many of the threads hit on valid points, but the truth is, there are many different scenarios that come up and we do look at every endorsement package that comes in. GENERALLY, we do look for artists that tour extensively and are signed to major labels or major independent labels. Touring in small, regional circles is usually not enough as well. There are many very talented individuals who are just not at the exposure level that makes sense for us to become involved in an endorsement capacity. We utilize many of the endorsers in our advertising, clinics and promotional campaigns, and it wouldn't work if we based it solely on being proficient at the instrument. We do deals from every level, from cost on to the provided custom shop instruments that many of you see in this forum or on stages throughout the world.

The address to submit packages is on the website, so if you do submit something, please keep the above info in mind. In addition, it doesn't hurt if the artists are already using Ibanez gear. I can't tell you how many letters I get with people featured in photos with Strats or forget that the letter says "My band loves Schecter..." Please proofread your stuff before you send! haha

Mike
Thanks for that post man! Great insight!
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 07:26 PM   #37

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Quote:

Mike
Thanks Man!!!!

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:07 PM   #38
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Great info.
Zombie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:14 PM   #39
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
GENERALLY, we do look for artists that tour extensively and are signed to major labels or major independent labels. Touring in small, regional circles is usually not enough as well. There are many very talented individuals who are just not at the exposure level that makes sense for us to become involved in an endorsement capacity.
/thread.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #40
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
We couldn't even get an ibanez rep to respond to anything on the ibanez forum yet we got 2 legitimate responses to this thread on a completely outside forum.

Man I love ss.org.

Thanks for the info guys!
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #41
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 105 reviews
This place does rule.
Adam Of Angels is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #42
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Quote:

Mike
I totally knew who you were when you joined this place.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Unread 09-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #43
Kenyon class of 2014

Dusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of lightDusty201087 is a glorious beacon of light
Woah, glad I came upon this thread. Being as I'm currently a "lifer" some of this info will come in handy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
That guy's vid was quite informative, and I applaud it... but keep one thing in mind, the amount of time and effort that goes into a lot of that might be better spent just working and saving for the guitar, etc. While there's a lot of overlap there with what your band needs anyway, 60 extra hours chasing an endorsement (which saves you $200 on that $800 guitar) might just be better spent working extra hours at your IT job where you yank down $20/hr. and just going to the guitar store and buying the damn thing.

But if you don't have an IT job and your job is marketing yourself and your music, then it could pay to get an endorsement.

"But man is to such an extent partial to a system and an abstract conclusion that he is prepared deliberately distort the truth, prepared to see nothing and to hear nothing, simply in order to justify his logic." - Fyodor Dostoevsky (Notes From the Underground)
Dusty201087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #44
ss.org Regular

Vstro has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick View Post
You need to be incredibly lucky to get an Ibanez endorsement.
or play tons and tons of shows!
Vstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #45
ALL HAIL DJOD

^Exactly.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Unread 09-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #46
Overlord of Music

screamindaemon has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesebuiscut View Post
We couldn't even get an ibanez rep to respond to anything on the ibanez forum yet we got 2 legitimate responses to this thread on a completely outside forum.

Man I love ss.org.

Thanks for the info guys!
So true. Maturity, humour and intelligence goes along way.

Now back to practising on my S.

Originally Posted by Djpharoah
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMM
Wait, Jesus plays an Ibanez?

Obviously - he only plays the best.
screamindaemon is offline   Reply With Quote