homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Guitar student of mine wants to learn some Dream Theater... suggestions?

I have a student who has taken lessons from me for a while. he's a pretty solid player! he could use a little more attention to accuracy and precision, but he's got a solid repertoire of techniques going.

anyway, he told me he'd like to learn some Dream Theater to boost his chops. i'm not a huge DT fan (anymore, i used to LOVE them), but i dig Petrucci's playing. plus, as a teacher, i would MUCH rather work on this stuff than some Job for a Cowboy bullshit hahaha

i think he could play most all the riffs, but probably not any of his REALLY intense solos. the more chill melodic ones, i'm sure he could do, but no Glass Prison arpeggios or anything like that.

so far i was thinking of Pull Me Under, Home, and maybe Overture 1812 (or whatever.... 1st instrumental on SFaM). any other ideas?

oh, and p.s., he plays a 6 string, although he plans on making the right choice and buying a 7 this summer!
HumanFuseBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Geek-chic

liamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Octavarium solo.
Long, big phrasing, slow for the most part, but with some pretty fasst picking as well.
liamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 10:58 AM   #3
APEX

Esp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud of
"Lie" - dead easy for the most part, If I remember there is some crazyness at the end, but the end of the song is just a big open progression that is ripe for some improv. Once he gets his 7 of course, it will be a nice incentive for him to buy one
Esp Griffyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Willard

willybman is a jewel in the rough
yeah, pull me under is great, my teacher taught it to me when i was taking lessons.
willybman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #5
SS Contributor

TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
the count of tuscany from Black clouds and silver linings is a wicked tune and very do-able for someone whos just getting into dream theater - playing wise that it

other than that LIE is a wicked tune
TimSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:08 AM   #6
Oh, herrrrro......

shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.
main solo break down for erotomania.... i still teach that one....... mainly the lick in 5's.
great for timing, and for intense playing.....
hell, the whole song is a winner to me.
and definitely for the alternate picking..... the ending to this dying soul.
shaneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Geek-chic

liamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to behold
Scarred and voices have good solo's, it will help with his wah-control also.
liamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Fionn is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
as i am (train of thought), tis a bit intense but something to aim for? you say petrucci, why not try some stuff of his solo record like Glasgow Kiss or Jaws Of Life, some serious stuff there, as well as simpler melodies.

+1 for Erotomania, such an awesome tune!!!

Perfection at Blistering Speeds! TM
Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:29 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

vontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to beholdvontetzianos is a splendid one to behold
The solo from Another Day is another awesome one to work one. The one alternate picking lick is a little intense and is something to work towards, but the rest is very melodic and challenging.

If he's getting into Dream Theater, maybe a few Liquid Tension Experiment songs will be cool to work on as well. The first that comes to mind is Biaxident, as it's really not that difficult to play and is an awesome song overall.
vontetzianos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 11:34 AM   #10
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
On top of what's been mentioned, how about the following...

'Another Day': A good one for both rhythm and lead, and the solo would be a good primer for some of Petrucci's more intense stuff.

'Surrounded': As above, and if he's into extreme delay effects (like me!) the solo is an absolute blast!

'The Silent Man': This is a great exercise in acoustic rhythm playing, and it means he'll always have a song tailor made for open-mic nights in his repetoire (I used to play this one with a female friend back in school, with her singing and me playing guitar).

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #11
ss.org Regular

Luuk is just really niceLuuk is just really nice
Beyond this life.. awesome song, clean and distortion parts.. and pretty hard solo.
Luuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.HumanFuseBen is shredding to new heights.
awesome suggestions so far! keep em coming, thanks a lot!
Unread 07-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #13
I Am the Table

renzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of lightrenzoip is a glorious beacon of light
I'm surprised no oe has suggested this yet:

But yeah, "Another Day" is not such a hard song and it's great for both rhythm and lead.

DARK LEGACY - Progressive Power Metal from South FL!
renzoip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #14
The Cockhammer

Severance is just really niceSeverance is just really nice
Fatal Tragedy is the first I learn and i learn it front to back at like a 1 and a half.
Severance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 05:57 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

Crometeef is a jewel in the rough
i've always been a fan of the overture solos. i started on them years ago and it's still challenging to this day haha. man i need to practice more. trolling forums and youtube has totally owned my practice sessions!
Crometeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

Bleak is just really niceBleak is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
If you're looking for something rewarding, but not overly challenging, check out his solo for "Wither"
A great solo, and one of his easier ones. Good luck!
Bleak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #17
Deftones Guru.

BrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to behold
Damage Control and Curve off of JP's solo album. Those are sick.

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, Jakke and -42.

I am Poi; The Ipu pounding, Ukulele shredding rapey clown, who ruins childhood dreams of balloon animals!
BrainArt is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #18
Guitar Popcicle

AK DRAGON is just really niceAK DRAGON is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezShredderB View Post
+1 to those

another day
Wither
Forsaken
AK DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Nazca is a jewel in the rough
I'm suprised noone's mentioned Under a Glass Moon. Very fun song to learn and play.

There's so much awesome stuff in the John Petrucci repertoire. The list would be too long.

Check out LTE, his solo album, Explorer's Club. He's got some pretty cool stuff on Rock Discipline.
Nazca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2009, 09:50 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

oh yeah man, glass moon is awesome! good idea...
Unread 10-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

liquidtensionJP is on a distinguished road
Under A Glass Moon, 4 String Sweeps, Some Double Stops, Bends, tapping Trem work, its a great solo, there is a really good video of JP playing that solo by himself on youtube.com I would say thats one of his hardest solo's to play along with erotomania's last solo, and the sweeps in glass prison, thats what I found the hardest!

Good Medium / hard solos are As I Am, Caught In A Web, Peruvian Skies (bit easier) Endless Sac, umm. trying to think Another days a good one! Home

Good Luck man

Maybe run through some of petruccis chord stuff, its really interesting!

All the Best!
liquidtensionJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #22
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
Ytse Jam?

Some others I'd recommend are Trial of Tears, The Silent Man (dead easy and sounds great), These Walls, Sacrificed Sons and Scarred.
Xaios is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #23
SS Contributor

cyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to beholdcyril v is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 31 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezShredderB View Post
+1 for this, exactly what i was going to post.
cyril v is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:12 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Ytse Jam
Erotomania
Scenes from a Memory Pt 1: Metropolis

Back when I liked playing that sort of music, those are the ones that I learned.
pink freud is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #25

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
+1 to Under a Glass Moon

Metropolis Part: 1
Take the Time the whole song. Great tune for cleans, rhythm, and solo is great as well.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote