homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #1
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Toto Appreciation Thread

Go on... admit it, you love Toto!

.... yeah

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
there is only 1 song....

Africa

hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
haha no way man!

my dad prefers Hold The Line but Rosanna is definitely my favourite

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #4
Banned

hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.hufschmid is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Swear your love

Just the good old metal rock of the 80's, I'm a fan of this thype of music, like Warrant or DEF LEPPARD, china etc...

hufschmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

xtrustisyoursx is just really nicextrustisyoursx is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
TOTO is actually in my top 5 fav bands. People always think I'm joking, but it's true. I just watched one of their dvds yesterday
xtrustisyoursx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
Not banned

Origins is just really niceOrigins is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Im a big fan of Toto.
I dont care if it sounds lame or anything.
Great songs, between rock, jazz, fusion, pop..
They have the secret to write great melodies!

I have a 2 CD live and a best of for now
Origins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Woopah!

Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.Leec is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
I love them. I went to see them live on the Livefields tour. Such a shame they've completely broken up now.

As Leighland Sklar said on their last dvd (which has got to be one of the best live performances by anyone), we live in a time in which old rock bands are revered and placed upon pedastals, and many of those bands cash in by doing reunion tours and just playing old material, or promising fans 'the new stuff is just like [insert fan-favourite album title]'. Toto kept pushing forwards, and each album showed a huge development.

Excepting Kimball (who didn't need to change), the rest of the band really kept up technique-wise with the present day as best they could, and did pretty bloody well at it. Much better than other rock staples. Lukather and Phillips' work with Sherinian is particularly cool and worth checking out.

youtube.com/ibanezcassidy - My YouTube channel. Guitar vidz.

www.soundclick.com/leecassidy - Let me squirt my music into your ears.

"You might as well be suckin' Wes Borland's no-talent dick if you play with any more than six strings on your ....ing guitar." - A Blabbermouth genius.
Leec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #8
Geek-chic

liamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to beholdliamh is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
God I bloody hate that rosanna song, but most of the other stuff they do is pretty awesome.
And steve lukather is one hell of a player
liamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Banned

Koshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of light
I do love Toto! The work they did for the soundtrack of Dune was terrific!
Koshchei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
:O

Excalibur is a jewel in the rough
I wonder who inspired this
Excalibur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 02:59 PM   #11
Ex Whiny Bitch

Steve Lukather did

Unread 05-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

Deadfall is a jewel in the rough

been done here I guess...didnt see it on search so diggeth
Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 05:21 PM   #13
Ex Whiny Bitch

^ one of the most impressive solo arrangements I've ever seen.

Unread 05-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Deadfall is a jewel in the rough
yeah..that guy is a monster
Deadfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 05:48 PM   #15
Not banned

Origins is just really niceOrigins is just really nice
Yeah, amazing guitarist
However Im a bit disappointed about his version
It doesnt sound as good on acoustic guitar I think
Origins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Another appreciation thread and no mention of "Hold the Line"!

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #17
Ex Whiny Bitch

I mentioned it!

Unread 05-10-2009, 05:55 PM   #18
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar Symmetry View Post
I mentioned it!
That one's for your Dad then

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #19
ouh...

Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.
My friend got me into this band. he swears by them as the best band in the history of music. I must say I think they are fantastic, haven't managed to grow on me that much though!

Check out my Myspace for some fusion and prog! www.myspace.com/ianeiderbo
Seedawakener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 06:08 PM   #20
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
It's all about Hold the Line, and Georgie Porgie. And Pamela... and so forth.

Plus I got to see them live last year before Steve Lukather pulled the plug.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 06:14 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

davisaur is on a distinguished road
best band in the world, no doubt.
davisaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #22
The Viking himself

stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/stuh84 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Lukather is one of the guitarists I really look up to, in terms of his control over guitar. I think Toto are awesome, and Rosanna is one of my favourite guitar solo's to play, a good mix of melody, impressive fast parts, and singing vibrato. Great stuff all round
stuh84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
ouh...

Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.Seedawakener is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davisaur View Post
best band in the world, no doubt.
And there he is.

Check out my Myspace for some fusion and prog! www.myspace.com/ianeiderbo
Seedawakener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2009, 08:35 PM   #24
ss.org Regular

Curt-Platt will become famous soon enough
dave this idea rocks.

rosanna, rossana
Curt-Platt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:39 AM   #25
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
The fact that this topic only reached 3 pages, is a shame on behalf of humankind...

I honestly think Toto is, in the most objective and strictly analytical way, the best "mainstream" band ever. They are more technical than a lot of technical bands, and they're more catchy than most catchy bands. A lot of people only think of Rosanna, Hold the Line etc. (which are good too), but they barely scratch the surface of all the different harmonic and stylistic explorations this band has done. They're really like a more catchy version of Dream Theater. Their material sure ain't easier to write/play than DT.

Btw, for those who didn't hear it, Falling In Between (the record, not the live DVD) is pretty ....in schweet, way to go down in a blaze of glory. Recommend it to anyone (both Paich and Philliganes are on it, best of both worlds I'd say).

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote