homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

gomes will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Metal bands using b tuning?

Hi!

I am trying to make up a list of B tuned players (to look up their tabs afterwards on guitar pro's msb).

Here's what I got, so far:

Novembre
Steve Vai
Emperor
Soilwork
Arcturus
sun caged
at the gates
edge of sanity
fear factory
carcass
arch enemy

Anyone willing to add some to the list?
gomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-14-2006, 01:53 PM   #2
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Soilwork actually uses C. Drop-D down one whole step is the current popular "metal tuning".

You know, for those losers who aren't cool enough to play sevens.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.
Amon Amarth (at least "Fate of Norns")
Makelele is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
that guy

Dylan7620 is just really niceDylan7620 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles
Soilwork actually uses C. Drop-D down one whole step is the current popular "metal tuning".

You know, for those losers who aren't cool enough to play sevens.
thank you.... lol, no, but seriously.... this is the tuning all the kids use that go "chugga chugga *dissonant high notes*" and repeat. you'd be suprised at how many 'guitar players' i know that don't know what a standard tuning is.

and not all of vais songs are in B either just FYI, he changes tuning more than i change my underwear

oh unearth, and slipknot (they use drop b, and sometimes drop A)

"are there gonna be snacks? i heard there were gonna be snacks."

Last edited by Dylan7620; 04-14-2006 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Dylan7620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #5
ss.org Regular

thanks

Soilwork uses b tuning, at least until figure number five. I am aware some of the bands use other tunings on different albums/songs..
Unread 04-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #6
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Soilwork & Arch Enemy used B tuning on earlier releases, but both now use C.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 02:38 PM   #7
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hey, I use drop-C

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 02:40 PM   #8
je t'aime

David has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud ofDavid has much to be proud of
lets not forget the ever so obvious Dream Theater... psh
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 02:49 PM   #9
F'king ............

distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.distressed_romeo is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Type O Negative use B standard for everything. Linear Sphere and Biomechanical use sevens. Jed Simon in Strapping Young Lad tunes to B, although Devin tunes to an open C chord.
Tom Kopyto uses either B or Drop A on the seven, and D on the six, as do Adagio (sans the drop A. Inner Road is D standard on a six string).
Kings X use BF#DGBE occsionally, although I can't name any songs in that tuning off the top of my head.
Incidentally, I always thought Carcass tuned to C...

Define 'well-adjusted'...

http://farsideguitars.blogspot.com/
distressed_romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 02:53 PM   #10
Lord Super Awesome

Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.Shannon won't break the oath.
Feedback Score: 17 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by distressed_romeo
Jed Simon in Strapping Young Lad tunes to B, although Devin tunes to an open C chord.
Not so....both use CGCGCG tuning for SYL. Check out their "Ask The Band" section of the SYL forum.
Quote:
Nope.....everything is in B. This is the bancd that got me interested in B tunings in the earlier 90s.
Shannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
SS Contributor

No ConeSS will become famous soon enough
In Flames' "Come Clarity" is Drop B/Bb with their 6's.
No ConeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 03:23 PM   #12
I'm your huckleberry

noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.noodles is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Kings X use BF#DGBE occsionally, although I can't name any songs in that tuning off the top of my head.
All of "Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous" is in AEADF#B, played on a Yamaha Ty Tabor Drop6 (26.25" scale). Ty told me he used a standard ten gauge set.

Noodles
Division: American Metal without the suck.
kxksales@gmail.com
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 04:48 AM   #13
5/4 > most

Akrin is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
All of "Please Come Home Mr. Bulbous" is in AEADF#B, played on a Yamaha Ty Tabor Drop6 (26.25" scale). Ty told me he used a standard ten gauge set.

Basically all of King's X's stuff is Drop D, down various amounts - from D to A

"I was always interested in the 'little black dots.' You know, the idea that you can take a piece of manuscript paper and write on it and have a whole orchestra at your beck and call - That's creativity."
-Steve Vai
Akrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 08:12 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Roland777 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Fredrik of Meshuggah tunes down half a step and uses .009-.052.

Mnemic uses B standard. And if you want a shred rhythm-challenge, try The Berzerker's "Forever". (B standard there too.)
Roland777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland777
Yeah, but with the Ty reference, he's talking about a 10-46 set on a 6-string, tuned down to A

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #16
ss.org Regular

Amorphis (Early)
Cryptopsy

Can't remember anymore
Unread 04-17-2006, 05:16 AM   #17
this godles endeavor

omentremor is a jewel in the rough
Cryptopsy
Jag Panzer?
Nevermore
Devildriver
Machine Head
Sepultura
Darkane
Hypocrisy
Mercenary
Ra
Stone Sour
Soulfly
James laBrie
Magnitude 9 (I think)

All various incarnations of B tunings
omentremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #18
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Can't believe no one has mentioned Sevendust, the drop-b king.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 07:37 AM   #19
you fail me

forelander is just really niceforelander is just really nice
Quote:

Mnemic uses B standard. And if you want a shred rhythm-challenge, try The Berzerker's "Forever". (B standard there too.)

I'm pretty sure that berzerker are in A standard, at least that's what Luke mentions on the DVD.

Jetzt liegst du hier, ganz regungslos, in meiner hand und meinem schoß, du bist so kalt...
forelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 08:33 AM   #20
ERG Ambassador

lucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to all
The new Soilwork record is tuned to B, I tried some songs and they fit on my seven string guitar. Unless they are using C live they are still tuning to B on their record.

Sepultura tunes to Bb on some songs but they also tune to D standard and Drop-C on some of them.
lucasreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #21
Not so local lefty

Pauly is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pauly is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pauly is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pauly is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pauly is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pauly is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Pauly is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
And if you want a shred rhythm-challenge, try The Berzerker's "Forever". (B standard there too.)
All the Bezerker stuff is A standard. Check the DVD and the site, it has all the tracks from the 1st album tabbed.

As for bands...

Fear Factory were B standard until Obsolete
Slipknot used Drop B for all but 1 track of their self-titled album, and then the following albums were usually either Drop B or Drop A.
Bolt Thrower

I skimmed over the thread but several of the bands like Morbid Angel, Nevermore and Cannibal Corpse use Bb not B.

I R LEFTY!

Left-handers come visit!
http://forum.leftyguitartrader.com/
Pauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2006, 08:41 PM   #22
this godles endeavor

omentremor is a jewel in the rough
Enemies of Reality by Nevermore is definately in B standard.
Nation Album by Sepultura is in drop B
omentremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 03:10 AM   #23
ss.org Regular

Miss UV will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Definitely B!

Gorefest (on "False" at least)
Miss UV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 04:46 AM   #24
ss.org Regular

bibz is a jewel in the rough
Nevermores 7 string stuff is in b flat, dead heart to godless. Im sure it was so they could still play the older e flat 6 string songs.

Hypocrisy - Virus is in Bb (7's)
Scar Symmetry - Symmetric in Design also in Bb (7's)
However there new Pitch Black Progress is in B, with dropped A on atleast one song
bibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2006, 05:13 AM   #25
moo7

moojimoo3 is on a distinguished road
i can think of two right now i think

Dead To Fall (use B)
Parkway Drive (use B too) Parkway drive are the autrailian unearth.qoute by adam D himself on metal injection, each of the bands myspaces are;

www.myspace.com/parkwaydrive
www.myspace.com/deadtofall

hope it helps.
Arooj

Loving to get a RG1527
moojimoo3 is offline   Reply With Quote