homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree52Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-21-2009, 01:43 PM   #51
ss.org Regular

a7stringkilla will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
[QUOTE=DDDorian;1470733]a7stringkilla - unless you want this thread to turn into yet another flamefest that eventually gets locked, try not to be so heated, yeah? I see your point, and metal_head666 isn't exactly being diplomatic, but I don't want this to go the way of every deathcore topic ever.

i dont know, man. sometimes i read some of the stuff on here and i think it is a Flamefest! HA, get it!!!!!! please dont think im a dick or anything cause to be honest, i really was trying to help the guy. i would rather people not latch onto their favorite era so tightly that they become somewhat dilusional and attack everything current. sometimes you gotta be blunt with people to get it across though.
a7stringkilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #52
plays guitar??

thinkpad20 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
brutal =/= good
good =/= brutal

You can have one without the other, or you can have both. There are plenty of very very good brutal bands and there are many who are really not very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaeolian View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Martyr, as they can be pretty atonal at times.
I was thinking of bringing them up but Mongrain's vocals can make them hard to tolerate for some. Same thing for Heafy's vocals for Capharnaum...

Bands: Solecism (progressive death) | Kisama (black metal/post-rock) | Kuroi (brutal death)
Guitars: Aria|Ibanez|Jackson|Peavey|Washburn
Rig: Guitar -> Fractal Axe-FX Ultra -> Carvin DCM150 -> Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12
Clips: soundclick|netmusicians|youtube

Last edited by thinkpad20; 04-21-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
thinkpad20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #53
SS.org Regular

willyman101 is a jewel in the rough
Well, although I'm not contributing bands I have to say... what's wrong with metal being melodic? It's either you see melody as an abomination when it's related to metal or you're really just talking about metalcore bands. But what I'm saying is, is that no one in their right mind should find a fault with melody in heavy music. It's what makes it good and not just noise like non-metallers think.
willyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #54
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by willyman101 View Post
Well, although I'm not contributing bands I have to say... what's wrong with metal being melodic? It's either you see melody as an abomination when it's related to metal or you're really just talking about metalcore bands. But what I'm saying is, is that no one in their right mind should find a fault with melody in heavy music. It's what makes it good and not just noise like non-metallers think.
agreed whole-heartedly! i feel like metal is metal. some is good. some isn't. some is melodic. some isn't. the need to dissect and classify only causes unnecessary drama.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #55
Banned

metal_head666 is headed in the right direction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a7stringkilla View Post
youre one of those guys i laugh at everytime i come across one. its 2009, get with the ....in program. "oh back in my day.......", .... that, this is your day too if youll let it be. dont run around being pissed cause the world left you behind. and even if music was better in the 90s, which it wasnt, what the .... are you gonna do about it. dude, heres a word of advice, dont be one of those bitter old ....s that everybody hates because your life WILL SUCK.
I'm 25. This would be my "era" but the era of good death and black metal has passed. A new genre needs to emerge.
metal_head666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #56
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_head666 View Post
I'm 25. This would be my "era" but the era of good death and black metal has passed. A new genre needs to emerge.
now that i know your age i completely disagree. in this day and age you tend to have to sift through a lot of bullshit to find the good shit. it seems to me that either you have completely different tastes from me... OR you're lazy...

Unread 04-21-2009, 08:50 PM   #57
Golderak is King

Alex-D33 has much to be proud ofAlex-D33 has much to be proud ofAlex-D33 has much to be proud ofAlex-D33 has much to be proud ofAlex-D33 has much to be proud ofAlex-D33 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Neuraxis !

YouTube - Neuraxis - Darkness Prevails

Oh!!!! Yawhhhhhh !!!! don't have a clue
Alex-D33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:09 PM   #58
ss.org Regular

Quote:
well then just listen to the new stuff through blown speakers and there you go, just like the old shit! dude, youre too young to be saying shit like this. take a step back, go play some sports, lift some weights, mingle with people who dont give a shit about metal for a while. and yeah this is your era, storm through it, dont walk backward staring at the past. its gone!
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #59
This is bat country

Raoul Duke is just really niceRaoul Duke is just really nice
Ignite the Ibex - 8 string Insanity

Ignite The Ibex on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

We share a prac studio with them, they're crazy!

I don't think it's nice, you laughing. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. Gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
Raoul Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:44 PM   #60

sevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Exclamation

The point of this thread is to introduce each other to bands that are atonal and/or groove-oriented. It's not about bashing a certain genre, or defending a genre that's not even under attack. So let's put aside the squabbling and get back to business...

In case my last recommendation got overlooked, y'all should check out my friends' band Johnny Cage is a Fake (RIP ). Some atonal riffage, off-the-beaten-path vibes, and some slam-worthy shit too. They formed a new band called Tiger Flowers.

Positive rep for positive contributors!
sevenstringj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 09:46 PM   #61
Dread-I Master

^ exactly...

why is there a flame war every time someone doesn't agree?

Unread 04-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #62
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenstringj View Post
The point of this thread is to introduce each other to bands that are atonal and/or groove-oriented. It's not about bashing a certain genre, or defending a genre that's not even under attack. So let's put aside the squabbling and get back to business...

In case my last recommendation got overlooked, y'all should check out my friends' band Johnny Cage is a Fake (RIP ). Some atonal riffage, off-the-beaten-path vibes, and some slam-worthy shit too. They formed a new band called Tiger Flowers.

Positive rep for positive contributors!
thanks for slapping me back on track, thank you. in case you missed my recomendation, check out Yyrkoon.
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #63
Banned

metal_head666 is headed in the right direction.
Quote:
well then just listen to the new stuff through blown speakers and there you go, just like the old shit! dude, youre too young to be saying shit like this. take a step back, go play some sports, lift some weights, mingle with people who dont give a shit about metal for a while. and yeah this is your era, storm through it, dont walk backward staring at the past. its gone!
I appreciate classical like Wagner and I hate pop/rap. Does this mean I have to get with the times? No, I recognize good music when I hear it.
metal_head666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:04 PM   #64
This is bat country

Quote:
thanks for slapping me back on track, thank you. in case you missed my recomendation, check out Yyrkoon.
Checked them out they're pretty cool

Remind me alot of Aborted

Would Aborted be considered "Anti Melodic" anyhow check them out if you haven't

I don't think it's nice, you laughing. You see, my mule don't like people laughing. Gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him. Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...
Unread 04-21-2009, 10:10 PM   #65
Dread-I Master

Quote:
I appreciate classical like Wagner and I hate pop/rap. Does this mean I have to get with the times? No, I recognize good music when I hear it.
yes. but there is good "rap" out there. i personally like to make the distinction between rap/hip hop, rappers/MCs--respectively...

Unread 04-21-2009, 10:37 PM   #66
ss.org Regular

Quote:
thats the thing, youre still in the hardcore metal mind state. you like classical and hate rap. some rappers are really good with phrasing and pop is great to listen to, especially if youre writing songs. trust me when i tell you there are no better songwriters than pop and country writers. stop thinking so musically and just listen to and enjoy music for a while. you might be somewhat refreshed when you start writing again.
Unread 04-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #67

Meldville is just really niceMeldville is just really nice
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Let's stay on track here, folks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpad20 View Post
nooooooooo (well yeah they are more technical but they are also a bit boring...)

Besides the obvious (Deeds of Flesh, Decrepit Birth, Malevolent Creation, Immolation, Decapitated, Morbid Angel, Gorguts, Hate Eternal, Origin, Skinless, etc... I could go on) a few you'd almost certainly like, some you've probably heard of:

Kronos (CHECK THEM OUT NAO if you like your brutal death metal super catchy/groovy)
Defiled (very neat, very atonal!)
Intestine Baalism (ok, it's melodic at times but listen to it and you'll see why it doesn't ....ing matter)
Genna Apo Kolo (also super groovy)
Benighted (very groovy but a little more experimental/tech)
Ulcerate (super Gorguts-esque tech)
Gorgasm (RIP somewhat standard but lots of fun brutal death)
Infected Malignity (now a sort of metalcore-ish band, but their first album The Malignity Born From Despair is straight up high quality Suffo worship )
Infernal Revulsion (great brutal death/slam)
Soreption (tech stuff, haven't listened to much but it's pretty cool)
Inhuman Devotion (very techy brutal slam death... cool stuff)
Woundeep (somewhat Origin-esque... very fast brutal death)
Disconformity (SLAM! ....ing catchy)
Terminally Your Aborted Ghost
Swarrrm (super weird grindcore/death metal... their vocalist is ....ing insane)
Visceral Bleeding (very spastic tech-death, gets a little repetitive/boring at times though)
Yattering (brutal tech death, somewhat experimental)
Atheritic
Hate Plow
Sinners Bleed
Hyonblud
Internecine
Jasad
Karnak
Animals Killing People
Torso....
Mithras

so many more but I'll leave it at that... sorry I stopped typing descriptions but it was getting a little tiresome

Also... feel free to check out my brutal death metal project Kuroi:

Kuroi on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
One of the best posts in the General forum in a long time. Lots of little-known bands in here, and a few I've not checked out myself. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubarhax View Post
The new Ulcerate is amazing
Agreed. I made a topic on it a few weeks back, this band is so good it hurts.

I made a few recommendations in the "brutal death metal" thread, but I'll slap a few in here too:

Wormed (Spanish brutal-as-.... death metal. Spastic yet lots of groove. myspace.com/wormed)
Degrade (slam-style brutal death. Production leaves a bit to be desired, but still jammin')
Bodies in the Gears of the Apparatus (spastic grind stuff with a little crust influence at times. They called it quits too early IMO)
Success Will Write Apocalypse Across the Sky (formed out of BITGOTA. Similar death/grind feel but with better production and more straightforward DM influence)
Internal Suffering (sick DM from Columbia, recently moved to the US)
Meldville is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #68
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meldville View Post
Wormed (Spanish brutal-as-.... death metal. Spastic yet lots of groove. myspace.com/wormed)
Wormed owns so ....ing hard.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #69

sevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Ľour_Bass View Post
Wormed owns so ....ing hard.
Toad metal!

Regain the Heart Condemned get their atonal grind on. I remember a friend of mine playing an older recording of theirs for me, and I nearly fell off the chair it was so goddamn heavy. Their new album seems a step down, but still pretty good.

Discordance Axis were interesting. A friend of mine gave me a CD of theirs a while back--it had something like 50 songs on it. Some were maybe 12 seconds. LOL but .
Unread 04-23-2009, 12:50 AM   #70
This is bat country

No one has mentioned CAR BOMB

Not really death metal but crazy none the less

CAR BOMB on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
right_to_rage likes this.

Unread 04-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #71
SS.org Regular

jaredowty is a jewel in the rough
The only truly melodic metal band I like is Evergrey (the older stuff, nothing post Inner Circle). Most melodic metal bands sound cheesy to me - although my favorite bands have a nice balance of heavy and melodic, like Opeth, Cynic, and Nevermore. As far as power metal goes the only band I really like is Demons & Wizards. I don't like any of the "melodeath" bands like In Flames or Mercenary.
jaredowty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #72

I just came...

Unread 05-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #73
Avant Temporal

right_to_rage is just really niceright_to_rage is just really nice
Um... Thall? Vildhjarta get pretty atonal most of the time. Psyopus is another fav.
right_to_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:26 PM   #74
The Dragonrider

WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.WarriorOfMetal is pretty damn metal.
Has it really taken 3+ years before anyone has mentioned Portal?

WarriorOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2012, 11:46 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfMetal View Post
Has it really taken 3+ years before anyone has mentioned Portal?

LOL

It'd be FAR better if you could make out what the .... they're playing. I actually HATE when talented bands use so much distortion that it's nearly impossible to discern anything. I wanna hear the dissonance, not the fizz so much.