homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #51
midnight toker

antiochband is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissing View Post
TBH I don't notice it, and that bothers me because I can usually pick it out pretty well.
really? It's the first chorus, second verse sung by Rob. He sounds like Rihanna for a second

Obama is a long-legged mack!
antiochband is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #52
Medicine Chief/RHLC©

Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.Groff is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiochband View Post
really? It's the first chorus, second verse sung by Rob. He sounds like Rihanna for a second
I can *kinda* hear it now that i'm at home with good speakers, but the Youtube'd audio makes it sound terrible, not to mention Rob's not usually all that sober when he performs (I like Machine Head, but man was he ....ed up when I saw them live a few years ago)

AHHH MOTHERLAND!

All hail soviet Arktanistan-Groffistan!
Groff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #53
\m not jesus land m/

CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.CrushingAnvil is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Holy shit, I'd heard that guy was a shredder through and through....but that was ....ing terrible...

I think what happened is he knocked the volume knob on his homosexualist Dean...

Whoever said "the best things in life are free" hasn't played an 80's RG" - TheSixthWheel
CrushingAnvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #54
midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissing View Post
I can *kinda* hear it now that i'm at home with good speakers, but the Youtube'd audio makes it sound terrible, not to mention Rob's not usually all that sober when he performs (I like Machine Head, but man was he ....ed up when I saw them live a few years ago)
for any youtube vid, just put in &fmt=18 at the end of the URL for best quality

Unread 12-05-2008, 02:02 AM   #55
SS Contributor

Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.Jongpil Yun is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esp Griffyn View Post
Well Dime wasn't the cleanest player, and he was never all about the kind of super Cooley-esque dedication to practising, he was about rocking out. He never sounded amazin, played the fastest or the cleanest when he was alive so I don't think Trivium are really desecrating his memory or anything. I don't really like Trivium, but it's more Dime to bash it out than to learn it note for note and try and execute it perfectly, since he never did that anyway.
Actually, I'll have to disagree. I'm not a big Pantera/Dime fan, but the guy could play live. I mean, he really had the skills to do his stuff. We're not talking Dragonforce here.

Whether it's laughable or irrational, this is the path that ALL great men walk!
If there's a wall in our way, we'll destroy it!
If there's no road, we'll pave it with our own hands!
The magma in our hearts is blazing like flames!
Who the hell do you think we are?
Jongpil Yun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:23 AM   #56
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushingAnvil View Post
Holy shit, I'd heard that guy was a shredder through and through....but that was ....ing terrible...

I think what happened is he knocked the volume knob on his homosexualist Dean...
They are quite good actually. That was just REALLY terrible playing by both of them.

"I'm back, babeh!" ಠ_ಠ
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 03:57 AM   #57
Elderly juvenile

DavyH is a glorious beacon of lightDavyH is a glorious beacon of lightDavyH is a glorious beacon of light
Play the best solo in the world, your dog hears it. Play the worst, it's on YouTube.
DavyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:15 AM   #58
Banned

killiansguitar will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyH View Post
Play the best solo in the world, your dog hears it. Play the worst, it's on YouTube.

....ing hilarious.......

But true.
killiansguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 04:21 AM   #59
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
I wish that wasn't so true
How I know that feeling
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #60
Oh, herrrrro......

shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.shaneroo is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
this should be on the list of "quotes of the year."

we all have our good days and bad days..... i've even heard guthrie suck it up at a clinic (by suck it up, i mean play quite well by human beings' standards).

anyways, yeah, the solos weren't good, but these guys don't suck, and negative publicity is just as good as positive
shaneroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #61
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneroo View Post

we all have our good days and bad days..... i've even heard guthrie suck it up at a clinic (by suck it up, i mean play quite well by human beings' standards).

anyways, yeah, the solos weren't good, but these guys don't suck, and negative publicity is just as good as positive
Hey, praise from Shane Gibson's got to mean something.

"I'm back, babeh!" ಠ_ಠ
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #62
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:

But you don't have bad days right?
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 08:29 AM   #63
SS.org Regular

Espaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of light
HAHAHAHA!!!!!! that is the BEST SOLO EVVAR!!!! well.. no.. I don't have the speed to play the way they do on the record, but I could've done that :P hahaha

they didn't suck on solos when I saw them in 2006 I think it was.

and all hail auto-pitch gone wrong on the vocals
Espaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 08:57 AM   #64
I am with Jesus!

Kakaka is a glorious beacon of lightKakaka is a glorious beacon of lightKakaka is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughesJB4 View Post
But you don't have bad days right?
Check his musicvirtuosity.com lesson, which is pretty cool actually, and you'll see him nodding and closing an eye while playing the arpeggios slowly, he hates playing it slow.

I like Trivium first 2 CDs completely, except for "Dying In Your Arms". Don't like The Crusade much and Shogun too.

They defined metalcore with the first 2 CDs, that was very cool. The Crusade started to unplease me because of the old-school-thrash-rooted sound, and they were using Seymour Duncan Dime PUs, a big mistake.

These dudes aren't the tightest thing in the world when it comes to live singing, but the playing is always standard, specially for Corey.

As for Machine Head, well, I like Trivium better.
Kakaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #65
Metal Teddy Bear

auxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to all

I was just called a, "Probably pimple faced nerd who can't get laid" for saying that Trivium sucks on the video. Man, people are really profound on youtube.
auxioluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #66
midnight toker

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxioluck View Post

I was just called a, "Probably pimple faced nerd who can't get laid" for saying that Trivium sucks on the video. Man, people are really profound on youtube.
listen- the bottom line is, fans of a band will purposely tune out the bad shit that their idols do, just as detractors of a band will pick out every flaw.

My main issue with Trivium is there blatant plagiarism and suckassery of Metallica and other thrash legends. Matt Heafy has certainly accomplished more than a lot of us have at his age, and that counts for something. But until they find their own sound and stop trying to pose as Hetfield & co., they will get zero respect from me.

Unread 12-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #67
Metal Teddy Bear

auxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to all
I agree 100% on that one.

They could be really good if they stopped with the Metallica ripoff.
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #68
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variant View Post
Heafy's solo was executed okay, a bit Kerry King-ish in its composition... Cory was yeah, a little sloppy... we all have our bad days (most of mine ), but they nailed the two part harmony on the 'Domination' outro, so okay. I know they're all better guitarists than myself. So, I'm going to take the high road and choose not to on them.
I don't really like Trivium but I agree with most of this here... They always strike me as being a bit too contrived. Then again, having done the thrash thing the first time round I get a lot of deja vu.

Rob's vocals were, erm, interesting.

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #69
Banned

winterlover will become famous soon enough
Quote:
listen- the bottom line is, fans of a band will purposely tune out the bad shit that their idols do, just as detractors of a band will pick out every flaw.

My main issue with Trivium is there blatant plagiarism and suckassery of Metallica and other thrash legends. Matt Heafy has certainly accomplished more than a lot of us have at his age, and that counts for something. But until they find their own sound and stop trying to pose as Hetfield & co., they will get zero respect from me.
i love you for that post of sheer wisdom
winterlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #70
Augmented Chords!

TonalArchitect is a glorious beacon of lightTonalArchitect is a glorious beacon of lightTonalArchitect is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

Yes, people really are profound on Youtube.

I'll just pull my santa hat down over my eyes and think about Batman fighting a bear. -TomAwesome
TonalArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:08 PM   #71
Metal Teddy Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonalArchitect View Post
Yes, people really are profound on Youtube.
Fair enough. I was really tired and pissed off at my computer and figured Trivium was an easy target.
Unread 12-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #72
Augmented Chords!

TonalArchitect is a glorious beacon of lightTonalArchitect is a glorious beacon of lightTonalArchitect is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:

Quote:

This, quoted for truth and general awesome.

Now I know this wasn't their best night nor is this best the most well-loved on this board-- though some do appreciate them-- but how ridiculous would any of you think it was if people went to your concerts only to discuss whatever flaws or shortcomings they could find in your playing, regardless if you're playing clubs or arenas.

If they absolutely are terrible every night, then this might have some merit. But even Dragonforce, now well-known for their less-than-exemplary live performances, have conflicting accounts: some shows being awful, some others being good.

Quote:
Fair enough. I was really tired and pissed off at my computer and figured Trivium was an easy target.
I know, I've been there, though the only Youtube post I made gave a song name.

I've been trying to get away from the "these dudes suck" thing; it's not always easy.

I'll just pull my santa hat down over my eyes and think about Batman fighting a bear. -TomAwesome

Last edited by TonalArchitect; 12-05-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
TonalArchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 02:00 PM   #73
ss.org Regular

Luuk is just really niceLuuk is just really nice
I've seen trivium three of four times.. and I have to say, their playing isn't as perfect and tight as 'shuggah..
But I did have a good time everytime I saw them. Lots of energy comes from the band..
Luuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2008, 10:48 PM   #74
SS.org Regular

RevDrucifer is a jewel in the rough
I dig Trivium. I've got Ascendancy, heard a few tracks off Crusade (didn't really care for them...) and a few off the new one, which so far, I'm diggin'.
I've watched a ton of Youtube clips in the past and generally, you hear a lot of bad vocal nights...

I've been watching some stuff from the recent tour and Heafy's definitely gotten better live with the vocals.

And yeah, that clip with Flynn was definitely terrible...there must have been some bad luck surrounding that gig as everyone sounded terrible.

This clip, however, shows the guys tearin' it up live-
RevDrucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2008, 01:35 AM   #75
ss.org Regular

ILdÐÆMcº³ is a jewel in the rough
I like Trivium a lot, From Ember to Inferno and Ascendancy were great all the way through. The new albums are pretty good but I only like select tracks off of them, they don't seem as cohesive.

That was indeed awful. It sounds like their left hands weren't in sync with their right hands. They probably should have spent more time warming up, that or they need to do some wood shedding.
ILdÐÆMcº³ is offline   Reply With Quote