homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-31-2008, 08:45 AM   #1
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mnemic's latest album is the shit! - F# content

Absolutely badass!!!!!!!!!!!

I know it's probably old news because it came out in '07, but i hardly ever see Mnemic get a mention here.

They're using 7 strings this time around though so they're now worthy of this forum!

They're tuned to 8 string tuning though (F#) and their usual 6 string butchery in B standard. Crazy stuff. I ....in love that tone! They're also using the Line 6 HD heads DI'd.

Anyone else heard it/got it/dig it?

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just a ....ing lunatic" - Stephen Fry

Recording. Mixing. Mastering. ReAmping. Editing
Mattayus is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-31-2008, 08:53 AM   #2
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
no doubts
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 08:57 AM   #3
SS Contributor

TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.TimSE is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
i really cant stand the new singer he sounds like hes trying to make himself puke whenever he shouts/screams
good clean voice tho

as for tone id like it with a bit more clarity but ya it ownz
TimSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Metal Teddy Bear

auxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to allauxioluck is a name known to all
I got the CD when it first came out.

Psykorgasm is still my fav song. And I hated the vocalist at first, but he grew on me after awhile. I do miss their old singer, but his clean vox aren't as on key as the new guy's. They still have badass breakdowns in their stuff, and the 80's sections are positively
auxioluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Dan

Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.Dan is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
im always going to be a Audio Injected Soul man. I know that they rushed the writing and recording of it, but there are some gems of riffs and harmonies in there. The new album to me just sounded a bit.. bitty. Really dont like the new singer, i just dont think he suits the band at all
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Was that Passenger or whatever it's called? I seem to recall they were really pushing the slicker, poppier stuff with that one, and while I'm not a huge fan of the band I thought that sound suited them better than their previous stuff.
DDDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.Mattayus shreds in his sleep.
Yeah it's The Passenger.

It's a strange mix - They somehow got heavier and softer at the same time. It's a slightly heavier production, the guitars sound crisper and i guess djentier in a sense, not to mention alot of the music being in F#... but the new vocals clearly made the band write in a slightly more melodic direction.

There isn't quite as much pummeling ferocity as there is on the first two albums, but it's still damn heavy. But some of the songs break out into an almost Staind-like chorus, which was a bizarre direction for them to go in i thought

"The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a lack of education or of a lack of verbal interest is just a ....ing lunatic" - Stephen Fry

Unread 10-31-2008, 11:43 AM   #8
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Wow just listened to some of their tunes... deadly! Sounds very sick.

Soundcloud - New clip 9/16/2014
sakeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Sir Groove-A-Lot

You just checkin them out for the first time dude? if so check out Liquid, Door 2.12, and Deathbox. Some of my favourite songs. Deathbox in particular is possibly one of the heaviest songs i've ever heard in my life

Unread 10-31-2008, 12:28 PM   #10
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I think I heard that album once. I remember not liking it too much, but I may have to give it another spin. I love MSP and AIS, though.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:33 PM   #11
ERG Ambassador

lucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Im addicted to this album since it came out last year. Awesome shit.

Although Im into lower tunings and stuff I must admit that Im not that much into 8 strings and F# or F tunings as I find it easy to sound like shit. I prefer tuning as low as Ab (the lowest I tuned sometimes). But I would like to say that these guys manage to KILL with the F#. It sound heavy as .... and very well played and placed into the sound. So, what Im trying to say is that Im not against super low tunings but I do think that you have to be clever to make it sound good.

Anyway, Mnemic rules and this records rocks. Especially "The Shape of the Formless"
lucasreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
Sir Groove-A-Lot

I know exactly what you're saying man. A lot of bands that are down in F or whatever sound the same. It's hard to find a distinctive tone down that low, but Mnemic have managed to pull it off in such a tasteful way on this one

Unread 10-31-2008, 12:37 PM   #13
I am a meat popsicle

chimp_spanner is a splendid one to beholdchimp_spanner is a splendid one to beholdchimp_spanner is a splendid one to beholdchimp_spanner is a splendid one to beholdchimp_spanner is a splendid one to behold
Vocals were the main thing that put me off this album, but some good riffs no doubt.

Still, they won't ever top tracks like Ghost, Mechanical Spin Phenomena and Tattoos in my eyes

Chimp Spanner on teh webz:

Homepage
MySpace
Soundclick
My parents!

chimp_spanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:38 PM   #14
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
You just checkin them out for the first time dude? if so check out Liquid, Door 2.12, and Deathbox. Some of my favourite songs. Deathbox in particular is possibly one of the heaviest songs i've ever heard in my life
I'm going to make a trip to the record store today to see if they have some of these.

Soundcloud - New clip 9/16/2014
sakeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:42 PM   #15
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Liquid is on Mechanical Spin Phenomena, the other two mentioned are on The Audio Injected Soul.

Both albums are equally unbelievably kickass. Which is surprising. Usually bands have a debut that makes waves but could be better, and that's where the second one comes in and patches things up, But their debut sounds every bit as good, in both production and song writing, as the two follow-ups

Unread 10-31-2008, 12:50 PM   #16
ಠ_ಠ

Marv Attaxx is a name known to allMarv Attaxx is a name known to allMarv Attaxx is a name known to allMarv Attaxx is a name known to all
Holy shit, I just heard those guys for the first time!!
Those guys kick major ass!!!
I think Deathbox and Ghost are my favourite songs now

EDIT: Damn, their old singer looks like Brad Pitt in the deathbox vid
Marv Attaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I didn't get the new album but I have the first two, in which I know 1 guitar player uses a 7-string and the other uses a 6-string. Are they both using 7's now???

For anyone who is just checking them out definitely listen to "Liquid".

Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 12:56 PM   #18
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Oh i always thought they both used 6s tuned to B standard until now. I know on the latest album they're DEFINITELY using 7s

Unread 10-31-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
ss.org Regular

Julko will become famous soon enough
Listened at myspace, like it
Julko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #20
Sir Groove-A-Lot

A run down of the bands' rigs -

The Official Mnemic Message Board - Mnemic Guitars and equipment

Unread 10-31-2008, 01:07 PM   #21
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Yep.

I wasn't a huge Passenger fan, I like that they dipped into F# territory but some of those songs just seem forced to me. I'm looking forward to the next album.

Come join me over on the Mnemic board!

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 02:19 PM   #22
2[H]4U

m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
DOOR 2.12!!!

m3ta1head is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
Sir Groove-A-Lot

Hell yes!

DEATHBOX!!!

Unread 10-31-2008, 03:31 PM   #24
2[H]4U

m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/m3ta1head is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
JACK VEGAS!!

My favorite mnemic song
m3ta1head is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #25
Needs a better rig..

SirToastalot is a glorious beacon of lightSirToastalot is a glorious beacon of lightSirToastalot is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattayus View Post
Hehe, I compiled that list, with help from Rick of course.
Nice to see people appreciating it beyond the Mnemic forum.

Mircea used a 7-string in standard tuning to record MSP, there were photos of them at Tue Madsen's Antfarm on the old Mnemic website. He used the Ibanez S7420 whilst Rune stuck to a six-string Heartfield Fender.
If I remember correctly somebody who posts here owns that guitar now.
They gigged with those guitars for most of their 2003-2004 tour cycle.

They switched to using six-strings tuned to B soon after recording TAIS. Mircea got a Caparison Dellinger deal and Rune eventually joined him.

Fast forward to 2006 and they're using majorly tuned down Caparison Dellinger 7's and Ltd 607Bs to record Passenger.
SirToastalot is offline   Reply With Quote