homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-12-2008, 03:59 PM   #1
Cherokee Warrior

TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Want a record deal? Think again...

Myspace.com Blogs - Albini speaks the truth...... - All Good Things MySpace Blog

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=268162
Seven Strings to rule them all, Seven Strings to find them, Seven Strings to bring them all and in the music bind them.
TonyFlyingSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Knowing some people that seem more than eager to jump into the trench that Albini describes, the real tragedy is that for people getting into that situation, their naivete is equal only to their belief that- even knowing all that crap- it will most certainly never happen to them that way... oh yes, they'll be far too successful to be screwed-over.
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
That's why I'd be going with a small, non-major label, or no label at all.

I'm in a bit of an advantage as I've taken classes in music business and know the inner workings of a record contract/label. As a result, none of that was news to me.

The best bet these days is to pay for your own recording (or do it yourself if you're skilled enough) and sign a distribution deal, if anything.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #4
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven59 View Post
That's why I'd be going with a small, non-major label, or no label at all.

I'm in a bit of an advantage as I've taken classes in music business and know the inner workings of a record contract/label. As a result, none of that was news to me.

The best bet these days is to pay for your own recording (or do it yourself if you're skilled enough) and sign a distribution deal, if anything.
That's my plan on both counts... small label or no label. Record myself, sell myself. Tours ehhh don't have time anyways.

"Ah, she's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro" - ZB
Soundcloud - New clip April 19
sakeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #5
im leaving ss.org

Xtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud ofXtremevillan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
If I do sign it may be with Willowtip...

LOL IM SO FAR AWAY
Xtremevillan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

thedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakeido View Post
That's my plan on both counts... small label or no label. Record myself, sell myself. Tours ehhh don't have time anyways.
our band is going the same route. we're recording ourselves (well i'm stuck doing the recording), having a local studio mix and master it. then we'll sell it ourselves. small label assistance would be appreciated but thats about it. and yeah, i can't see us touring for more than a weekend at a time
thedownside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #7
SS Contributor

shadowlife is a glorious beacon of lightshadowlife is a glorious beacon of lightshadowlife is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
Knowing some people that seem more than eager to jump into the trench that Albini describes, the real tragedy is that for people getting into that situation, their naivete is equal only to their belief that- even knowing all that crap- it will most certainly never happen to them that way... oh yes, they'll be far too successful to be screwed-over.
So very, very true...

"There's no reason for a guitarist to have a big ego. You should love the instrument more than wanting to be a rock star."- Randy Rhoads
shadowlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 08:18 PM   #8
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Ouch.

That was pretty eye opening.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 08:27 PM   #9
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
On the plus side, there's some really badass larger "indie" labels around Toronto area that apparently are pretty fair, and I wouldn't sign anything that would include screwing us around, and would result in getting on some amazing tours with some amazing bands.

One can dream...

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
Banned

Josh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud of
That is truly chilling. Living the "high life" of a "rock star" is sure an expensive ride!!
Josh Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #11
SS Contributor

Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Ancestor is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Honestly, this was written some time ago. I think a lot of rules have changed. Anyone who is an obviously outstanding player has a much better chance of recognition than ever before.

Hopefully, people will start to do their own business and keep all the money for themselves. Vai had a great interview to that effect.

And besides, I would STILL do it! Ha! :/
Ancestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #12
The Fusion Guy!

jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancestor View Post
Honestly, this was written some time ago. I think a lot of rules have changed. Anyone who is an obviously outstanding player has a much better chance of recognition than ever before.

Hopefully, people will start to do their own business and keep all the money for themselves. Vai had a great interview to that effect.

And besides, I would STILL do it! Ha! :/
Yeah, I recall first seeing this article almost a decade ago. The big labels are taking fewer chances and signing fewer artists than they used to. Pretty much, the big labels are now only relevant if you are a generic teen pop artist, hip-hop diva, or one of those blow-dried fake country singers coming out of Nashville these days. Or if you have some kind of TV tie-in.

The problem facing artists who self-release or do distribution deals is that they don't get any of the promo that the big labels do. Also, royalty advances are a form of indentured servitude, in a way, but they can also keep an artist going in the early days. Otherwise, it's strictly what you can do out of your own pocket. Since record sales are way down across the board and clubs are closing left and right (in the USA, at least), I think we're headed back to the really old days when being a musician was, by definition, a marginal, low-paying profession. The glory days of the big rock tours were probably nothing more than a blip on the radar, in the longer picture.

Check out my home page: www.councilofone.net
jacksonplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
Banned

Josh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud ofJosh Lawson has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonplayer View Post
The glory days of the big rock tours were probably nothing more than a blip on the radar, in the longer picture.
Probably not such a bad thing, imo.
Josh Lawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 01:04 AM   #14
The Fusion Guy!

jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.jacksonplayer is deemed true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Lawson View Post
Probably not such a bad thing, imo.
I don't know. I'm old enough to remember the pre-MTV glory days of arena rock, and it was pretty amazing that even the mid-level bands that came through town could play to 10,000+ people. So much great music (and a lot of crap, too) got played before so many people--it was really an entire subculture that has largely disappeared, IMHO. Clubs are undoubtedly better places than sports arenas to see bands, but there was a lot of good stuff going on in the heyday of the arena tours and the LP. Music simply does not play that kind of cultural role anymore--it's a disposable product now, just a bunch of background noise for most people.

On the other hand, it's a lot easier to get your own music out there for the handful of people who are interested.

Unread 09-13-2008, 02:07 AM   #15
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
I've read that before. Terrible, but true.

I agree that music isn't as important to the masses anymore, which doesn't help.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 02:15 AM   #16
Arktanian Diplomat

Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.Zepp88 is the bastard son of Dio himself.
Quote:
I don't know. I'm old enough to remember the pre-MTV glory days of arena rock, and it was pretty amazing that even the mid-level bands that came through town could play to 10,000+ people. So much great music (and a lot of crap, too) got played before so many people--it was really an entire subculture that has largely disappeared, IMHO. Clubs are undoubtedly better places than sports arenas to see bands, but there was a lot of good stuff going on in the heyday of the arena tours and the LP. Music simply does not play that kind of cultural role anymore--it's a disposable product now, just a bunch of background noise for most people.

On the other hand, it's a lot easier to get your own music out there for the handful of people who are interested.
I agree with you completely man, I'm too young to have even seen the "club" scenes in the 80's and 90's, I was just around to watch the many clubs and venues in my area close down and with it the scene is a shadow of what it once was.
Zepp88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 04:35 AM   #17
Ascaris

abyssalservant is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
TOURS ARE LIFE
I'd have to lose a lot more money on tour than I did even on my first tour to even THINK about regretting it. Up there with the best experiences of my life, filth and lack of money all the same.

"Abyssalservant is so grim, he bleeds black and sweats chainmail. Surrender all your virgins!" -quartie
abyssalservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 10:46 AM   #18
The Fusion Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepp88 View Post
I agree with you completely man, I'm too young to have even seen the "club" scenes in the 80's and 90's, I was just around to watch the many clubs and venues in my area close down and with it the scene is a shadow of what it once was.
When I was growing up, kids largely defined themselves by the music they listened to. Regular kids--not musicians, not music junkies--went to concerts all the time, and it was a regular part of the social scene. Clubs have always played more to adults because of the minimum drinking age, but arena shows were for everybody. People *obsessed* over albums--reading all the liner notes, studying the covers etc.

The amount of money that level of business generated allowed the music industry to hand out big money to bands, albeit on terrible terms. That's all gone now, and it was already starting to disappear when Albini wrote this article, though it wasn't as apparent then. MTV is really what started the whole process. It initially jumpstarted a lot of business in the '80s, but it had the side effect of making music more of a 'passive' experience like watching a sitcom. It killed a lot of the concert business overnight. And I believe the concert experience is where the 'soul' of music is.

BTW, I hate to sound like an old man with all the "back in my day" stuff, but it helps to understand that the decline of the music business is a long-term thing and not solely related to downloads or video games.

Unread 09-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

thedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to allthedownside is a name known to all
Quote:
The problem facing artists who self-release or do distribution deals is that they don't get any of the promo that the big labels do.
this is true, to there scale. but there are allot of options for a good artist to successfully market themselves without the big labels. especially with the options available on the net, you can cheaply/easily exposuse your music to allot of different people. while an artist that before might have gotten LARGE scale marketing hype from a label will not be able to get that kinda hype on there own, smaller bands that would never get the big push from a label now have allot of tools at there disposal to market themselves.
thedownside is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 05:54 PM   #20
The Fusion Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedownside View Post
this is true, to there scale. but there are allot of options for a good artist to successfully market themselves without the big labels. especially with the options available on the net, you can cheaply/easily exposuse your music to allot of different people. while an artist that before might have gotten LARGE scale marketing hype from a label will not be able to get that kinda hype on there own, smaller bands that would never get the big push from a label now have allot of tools at there disposal to market themselves.
That's very true. The problem is that there is no other form of promo that adequately replaces radio, which is the exclusive preserve of the major labels. With radio, you get to "push" music at new audiences, whereas most new forms of promo require the public to effectively search you out. Because of that, the potential return is not nearly as high, even though the resulting audience you can get is highly motivated.

Pop music has broken up into a zillion small niches, none of which seem to have a large enough audience to provide a comfortable living for the artists, even without all of music industry bullshit. I don't know how all this will shake out, ultimately. It may be that the recordings become more of a 'bonus' than the primary item for sale. But how an artist makes a living like that (apart from already established artists), I have no idea.

Unread 09-13-2008, 06:57 PM   #21
Classical & Metal

bulletbass man is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Music isn't any less important than it was 20 years ago. I think the difference is that the general population no longer has a favorite band. Pickup the average ipod. It has 80 artists yet only 200 songs. Of course this is a slight dramatization but you get the point.
bulletbass man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 01:37 AM   #22
Decibel Guitars

darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.darren deems you false, flexes, and cancels you.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
This article has been around for a few years, but it's still no less true.
darren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #23
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletbass man View Post
I think the difference is that the general population no longer has a favorite band. Pickup the average ipod. It has 80 artists yet only 200 songs. Of course this is a slight dramatization but you get the point.
For mainstream genres, it's going to be almost impossible for fans to have a favorite artist eventually if we revert back to a singles era where exposure is a revolving door and most artists' careers are "one and done."

Sure, the public is fickle, and therefore the record companies are going to be even more fickle about signing and retaining artists.

The process Albini describes may not change as much as it will be abbreviated, or maybe the artist will assume more expenses up front and companies will say, "you can record your whole album, but we're only paying for songs X, Y, and Z because those can be singles- you're on your own for the filler."
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 08:47 AM   #24
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
i totally agree with jackson player, since mtv came on the scene, it took a lot of wind out of live concerts

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 03:28 PM   #25
Double Edge FTW

Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.Regor shreds in his sleep.
If my band were ever to 'make it big', I'd wanna record it without the support of a label, and basically sign a distribution/promo deal with a label. And I know this'll never happen to be, because I wanna retain the rights to my own songs. I'll take less income, but I don't want to get screwed like some ppl (Dave Mustaine) who can't play their own songs on a CD-ROM that's included with Guitar World because his former record company would have to get a cut of it. In addition, I wouldn't want my music ending up in some commercial or TV show that I didn't approve of.

.... that. I'll keep my musical integrity, or I'll stay a Med Tech
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote