homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree1471Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-19-2009, 02:20 PM   #751
SS.org Regular

pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/pink freud is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnImpulse View Post
I love Ki. Its gotten a lot of ipod play time, but i think youre right. I read somebody saying on here that Devin knows what he's doing, but, and i could be very wrong here, i dont get the impression that he does. I think hes an extremely intelligent, extremely talented dude whos trying to make sense of a senseless world through music. The fact that sometimes he does things I dont agree with or understand musically only endears him to me more, because its all so obviously genuine. Shows hes human. Just another dude trying to get his shit together. In many many ways he inspires me and gives me hope. Thanks for posting the video!
Gotta remember, we're talking about a guy who PURPOSELY went off his medication to make an album.

I think one of the best things about his music is that you can't really tell if there even IS a meaning or not.

Mountain is about his dog dieing. Wouldn't know that based off lyrical content. Earth Day is supposedly about nothing at all.
pink freud is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #752
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Devin Townsend - Addicted... behold kiddies: album cover!

Song Titles:

ADDICTED
UNIVERSE IN A BALL
BEND IT LIKE BENDER!
BEAUTIFUL CRUSH
HYPERDRIVE
WILD HEARTS
IH-AH!
THE WAY HOME
NUMBERED
SOULS AWAKE!
OM

Looks like 'Hyperdrive' and 'Om' are going to get some reduxing.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:28 PM   #753
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Different but still totally cool

(・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:31 PM   #754
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Devin rules
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2009, 10:35 PM   #755
ss.org Regular

tbird11 is a jewel in the rough
can't wait for this record to come out, i really enjoyed "ki" does anyone know a release date?
tbird11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #756
ss.org Regular

bibz is a jewel in the rough
I think its selfish to project what you want on an artist. Devy just has to be as devy as possible, and he's learning that. It's a rollercoaster being a fan, thats what I love about true artists, they cannot just rehash stuff, always challenging themselves to see what they can/can't do.

It's the effort and the underlaying voice that I hear.
bibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:14 AM   #757
Shred like a mofo

lefty robb is just really nicelefty robb is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I heard some serious David Gilmour there in the opening...
lefty robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:25 AM   #758
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud ofwannabguitarist has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Of course he knows what he's doing; he's writing the music he wants to write

And I really like what I'm hearing in the video
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:49 AM   #759
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esp Griffyn View Post
He still has that fire, and his talent is amazing (shredding away like that while talking) but musically he seems a little lost. If the next album is heavy but with the "pop" elements it could be cool, sort of an Accelerated Evolution MKII, but an "Andrew Lloyd Webber" musical and then an album of "spacey new agey" stuff will just blow. I can understand wanting to get away from SYL, because it was just so one-dimensional, but I just don't get why he is so desparate to distance himself from the albums that have really stood out in his solo career, such as Infinity, Terria and Synchestra. A lot of people felt that Ki was missing that special something, that it wasn't a classic and wasn't Townsend at anywhere near his best. If he is still angry and still has the musical ability then he still has the potential to do something awesome, but this concept of releasing 3 dire albums and one potentially decent album really blows.
I don't think he is really lost, he's explained it many times. he writes the music which comes into his head. As far as I know he doesn't sit down and write songs as such, he puts the things on paper which he has floating around in his mind.
Deconstruction was supposed to be a purge, just as Ki and Addicted (which has already been recorded) were. It was going to be a ridiculously heavy album, all balls out and mental. But it didn't turn out that way, it turned more into a heavier Ziltoid thing, with less (or even no) humour.
I think he was trying to please some people with the Deconstruction idea, but he realised he doesn't have to and wants to focus on what he really wants to do.

as for Ki, I really like most of it.
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:23 AM   #760
Ha Ha...alliteration

awesomeaustin is a glorious beacon of lightawesomeaustin is a glorious beacon of lightawesomeaustin is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
great vids

awesomeaustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:34 AM   #761
Banned

Variant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himselfVariant is deemed true by Crom himself
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmosh View Post
I don't think he is really lost, he's explained it many times. he writes the music which comes into his head. As far as I know he doesn't sit down and write songs as such, he puts the things on paper which he has floating around in his mind.
Deconstruction was supposed to be a purge, just as Ki and Addicted (which has already been recorded were). It was going to be a ridiculously heavy album, all balls out and mental. But it didn't turn out that way, it turned more into a heavier Ziltoid thing, with less (or even no) humour.
I think he was trying to please some people with the Deconstruction idea, but he realised he doesn't have to and wants to focus on what he really wants to do.

as for Ki, I really like most of it.
I think some people are missing what it means to play from the heart. It's not play to an audience (expectation-wise), it's not to play to your abilities (technicality-wise), it's not to play to your strengths (writing-wise)... its playing from your heart.

Also... Ki kicked ass. It'll probably go down as underrated like Physicist because people had the wrong expectations from a guy who's never treadled a straight path.
Variant is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:48 AM   #762
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
i love physicist too, and it's interesting to hear he's going to be playing some songs off it for the upcoming tour
Unread 08-20-2009, 04:48 AM   #763
ss.org Regular

Luuk is just really niceLuuk is just really nice
Finnaly more info, thanks!

Hyperdrive will be sounding something like this:

If I remember correctly she's also gonna sing it on the record.
Luuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 04:52 AM   #764
Empty

PostOrganic is a jewel in the rough
As much as I enjoyed Ki... I'm really looking forward to hearing something slightly heavier and catchier from Devin. Can't wait.

Wonder what the meaning behind that cover is... definitely different and interesting.
PostOrganic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #765
OldschoolGhettostyle

Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.Naren has more eRep than he knows what to do with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuk View Post

Gah... That was horrible. That's my favorite song on the album and I like the kind of sad and mellow way Devin sings it, but she's singing it all bubbly and energized like power pop. There is, of course, personal taste, but the vocals alone completely ruined it for me.
Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:25 AM   #766
Deftones Guru.

BrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to behold
Sweet, I can't wait for this to come out!

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, Jakke and -42.

I am Poi; The Ipu pounding, Ukulele shredding rapey clown, who ruins childhood dreams of balloon animals!
BrainArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #767
tacos?

Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.Mr. S is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Awesome, I can't wait to give this a listen I really enjoyed Ki.

Knights that say
Mr. S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:37 AM   #768
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I wonder which one 'Nibz' is, I'm guessing 'The Way Home'...

here's a clip for those who ain't seen it.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 05:55 AM   #769
Sir Paul of the Mosh

as already said, annie is singing hyperdrive. I really look forward to seeing what he has done with it. Knowing Dev it might just be a re-hash of some of the lyrics.
I doubt he would let her sing it all happy and bubbly though
Unread 08-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #770
Banned

Apophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himselfApophis is deemed true by Crom himself
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
really nice cover, original and simple
Apophis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 11:07 AM   #771
APEX

Esp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud of
Awesome cover, inspires much more confidence than "Ki".
Esp Griffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #772
Appreciates Kwolity

ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.ZeroSignal shreds in his sleep.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luuk View Post

Oh dear...

Compare that to this track and weep at the destruction of a stunningly beautiful song:

I are a sad panda...
ZeroSignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #773
APEX

Esp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud of
Holy shit, thats more like it, the Devin version is amazing!

EDIT: My faith could be restored by this album, this energy level is exactly what Dev needs to get out of the "Ki" phase, which was an energy vacuum.
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #774
Sir Paul of the Mosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esp Griffyn View Post
Holy shit, thats more like it, the Devin version is amazing!

EDIT: My faith could be restored by this album, this energy level is exactly what Dev needs to get out of the "Ki" phase, which was an energy vacuum.
that's from Ziltoid, long before Ki. And we get that you didn't like Ki, but lots of people did. Aside from that, Ki has plenty of energy. Could be you only listened to the first song, as you obviously did not buy the album
Unread 08-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #775
APEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmosh View Post
that's from Ziltoid, long before Ki. And we get that you didn't like Ki, but lots of people did. Aside from that, Ki has plenty of energy. Could be you only listened to the first song, as you obviously did not buy the album
Oh damn, my hopes have been dashed.

And actually I purchased Ki the day it hit the shelves here in the UK, though I might aswell have not bothered. "Trainfire" is the only good song on it, though "Ki" and "Quiet Riot" are ok. It's just such a flat, listless album, it doesnt bode well for Dev's future output.