homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:30 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Adil-2552 has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry AMP DILEMMA...HELP!

Hey guys, I play Metal, Rock and Blues and I’m after an amp that is versatile enough to cover all these genres. I was wondering which of the following is the best and most versatile...

1) Mesa Triple Rectifier

2) Peavey 6505 Plus

3) ENGL Powerball
Adil-2552 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-14-2008, 09:11 AM   #2
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
I'd actually say the mesa to be honest. THe 6505+ is more metal orientated and really won't be great for blues, same with the powerball. You want something that roars, has aggression and bite, and can be tight when you want it, or loosen up.

I think the triple rectifier is the best one to fit that description to be honest, i've heard some nice bluesy tones out of them, some aggressive as hell stuff, and it'll definately do rock.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #3
SS Contributor

Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.Mattmc74 is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Mesa Triple Rectifier all the way! I played one in a local music store and it blew me away! I want one so bad! I just have to same up for it now, but someday it will be mine!!!!!!!!!!

Mattmc74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 09:55 AM   #4
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
you'll want the Mesa. i've read that the Engl's are really tight, and the 6505 is a bit of a one trick pony. for rock'n roll and the blues, you'll want something with a little more life, a little more sag, and a little more grit to it. Mesa's can be dialed in as such

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #5
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
i vote Dual rec unless you need the always-clean cleans and supertight low end of the triple.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Fionn is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Engl is a defo! Played a Mesa in Londinium about 2 months ago and twas shit! No nice evil low mids! Sounded more like a Marshall! I have the cheapest Engl preamp (E530) and its better than most amps I've played! Mates got a DSL100, creams that! Dunno bout Peavey tho heard they rock too!

Perfection at Blistering Speeds! TM
Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 06:12 PM   #7
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
Engl is a defo! Played a Mesa in Londinium about 2 months ago and twas shit! No nice evil low mids! Sounded more like a Marshall! I have the cheapest Engl preamp (E530) and its better than most amps I've played! Mates got a DSL100, creams that! Dunno bout Peavey tho heard they rock too!

That's one of the craziest things I have read here.

You really need to listen to some tracks by someone who knows what they are doing with a Mesa, have a listen to Drews stuff.

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
El Caco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Fionn is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
true i only was in there 15mins say, some of my fav tones on record are mesa, maybe the tubes were old, dunno. twas shit tho!

Perfection at Blistering Speeds! TM
Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
no, it was probably a case of mesa's EQ is interactive, and you didnt know how to set it up using that.

that's my guess.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 07:10 PM   #10
{##[====:::.

Leon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnateLeon is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by budda View Post
no, it was probably a case of mesa's EQ is interactive, and you didnt know how to set it up using that.

that's my guess.
....or, the tubes were old, which will give you a shitty, flubby tone 100% of the time

Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 07:25 PM   #11
Smokestack Lightning

telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/telecaster90 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rectumfryer!
telecaster90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #12
Sarcy English Twat

Location: 7th Ethereal Plane of interstellar hell, Innit Bruv, Safe, London, UK
7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.7 Dying Trees has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 44 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fionn View Post
true i only was in there 15mins say, some of my fav tones on record are mesa, maybe the tubes were old, dunno. twas shit tho!
Same thing you hear when someone goes to try out a triaxis, or a dual rec, or frankly most mesa amps and try and set them like other amps, it simply doesn't work... If anything, they are hard amps to play, but rewarding when played well.

Basically, if you don't research settings that work and start with them, well, you may as well not try it out at all to be honest, as you'll end up trying to eq it and just not get the best out of it. They are odd, but good.

Also heavily depends on cab you run it through, AND how loud it is.

Also, an ENGl really is far too tight an amp to work for blues, and probably too much for rock (powerball wise). THe 6505/5150 is aggressive and huge, but you really will not get a blues tone out of that either.

The Chaos has come:
www.chaosanct.com
7 Dying Trees is offline   Reply With Quote