homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:08 AM   #226
Banned

siggy14 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Actually, if you knew anything about her, the whole first album is about her personal pain of being in her beautiful very successfull sisters footsteps.

And have you seen opeth perform tons of times and seen them on spot everytime? Actualy bigger question is have you seen Ashlee perform tons of times and seen her not perform well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf View Post
Umm... guess what? Opeth has TONS of awesome live performances to BACK UP their quality.

Ashlee?

How much depth, thought, feeling, or real emotional goes into her cookie-cutter music, anyway? Same tired old pop cliche themes (Big Macs ), at least from what I heard on the radio.
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #227
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by siggy14 View Post
So now, if i come on here and start saying bands you like are crap, you wouldnt retaliate?
Dude, know what I'm listening to as I type this? The first Winger album. I don't give a .... if someone doesn't like what I like, and there are SCORES of people out there who will attest to the fact that this album is crap. I, on the other hand, am enjoying listening to it, and it doesn't make you narrow minded, immature or any of the other lovely adjectives you've thrown out in this thread if you think it's crap.

Amp: 6505+ / Recto 4x12s
Rack: Axe-Fx II / HD1221s
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #228
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
For someone "not a fan" of hers, you've A) vigorously defended her throughout this thread, B) fail to see her musical faults, and C) have seen her live.

Wow, I hope I can have "not fans" like you someday.

http://www.wolf.org
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #229
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
...is akin to a kid sticking his fingers in his hears and yelling "LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU".
Kinda funny that you could also describe this video that way

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:12 AM   #230
Banned

But she does normaly sing, people just fucos in on what they want too. Yes you are right about her being a singer with studio musicans, she is still an artist though.

As to the last thing you asked me to prove where someone said something i did, and that was your defence? Why did you ask me to prove only to go back on what you originaly asked?

Funny thing is you keep saying I starting the trouble, but I have said my peace and done it respectfully, you guys keep coming back at me.

Quote:
You're leaving something out. She got caught lip syncing after claiming to be a legitimate rock act, not a pop princess. And then she blamed her band for "playing the wrong song".

In perspective, Opeth is actually a band. Ashlee Simpson is one person with a bunch of studio guys getting paid to play songs that someone else wrote for her.

Actually, I'd probably just find a live clip of Opeth kicking ass and post it. If you have a live clip of Ashlee kicking ass, fire it up.

That's his opinion. Funny how that works, eh?
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #231
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Yes and I have seen many artists have a bad day where they cant sing. I saw ashley live once in person and she was right on all night. It is funny how people always seem to post when someone is having a bad day.
It's funny how you saw her live and defend her as if your feelings have been hurt and yet claim to not be a fan.

No offense dude, I used to be you back in my Jemsite days, that's why my post count there is so high, I wouldn't constantly get into full-blown arguments defending bands I liked that people bashed, until I realized it doesn't matter what other people think, and different opinions are what makes this whole music thing interesting.

One more thing: she was caught lip syncing, you saw her live and she was spot on all night...you don't see a possible connection there at all? Unless you were front row center, 10 feet away from her, I doubt you'd be able to say definitively that she wasn't lip syncing.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:13 AM   #232
Canis lupis obscurus

The Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnateThe Dark Wolf is Odin incarnate
1. I'm not going to go watch Ashlee perform "tons of times." Y'know, I had Long John Silvers a couple of times in my life, but even that is enough to know it's not on the same level as Red Lobster. Oh, wait! By your logic, I have to go eat there 465, 798 times!

2. Gimmie a break, dude. I've seen and heard Ashlee's music. It's clever formula pop made by the big studios just like all the rest of that stuff. Replaces talent with clever studio tricks, because of image. My OPINION, but the video facts back it up.

Unread 02-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #233
None shall pass.

Quote:
And have you seen opeth perform tons of times and seen them on spot everytime? Actualy bigger question is have you seen Ashlee perform tons of times and seen her not perform well?
In video form, yes.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:14 AM   #234
Banned

Actually i like winger too, but to be honest I would never say anything bad about any band, because honestly I respect all music, even if it makes me cringe listening to it.

Quote:
Dude, know what I'm listening to as I type this? The first Winger album. I don't give a .... if someone doesn't like what I like, and there are SCORES of people out there who will attest to the fact that this album is crap. I, on the other hand, am enjoying listening to it, and it doesn't make you narrow minded, immature or any of the other lovely adjectives you've thrown out in this thread if you think it's crap.
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:15 AM   #235
None shall pass.

FYI dude, the word "fan" is a short form of "fanatic".

You say you're not a "fan" but I'd say your defense of her music is the definition of fanatical.

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:16 AM   #236
Djavli te ponesli

El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.El Caco is deemed true.
Oh well threads gone to hell anyway.

IMO Ashley sucked long before the latest TV .... up and being popular is not an indicator of talent unless you are referring to the talent the media machine has in influencing the way people think.

Milli Vanilli
Kellis

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #237
Canis lupis obscurus

Man, people like you are why Paris Hilton makes records.

There are honest, sincere, thoughtful, hard working musicians out there... real musicians, who struggle, and have so much to say, yet people with a catchy look and studio backing get heard. And along comes someone like you to defend it all, saying if someone points out the differences between the two, they are "narrow minded" or a "hypocrite."

Not ....ing cool, man.

Unread 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #238
metalguitarist.org

Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.Chris is an automated shredding machine.
Quote:
But she does normaly sing, people just fucos in on what they want too. Yes you are right about her being a singer with studio musicans, she is still an artist though.
And people here are of the opinion that her singing sucks. What's so hard abou tthis?

Quote:
As to the last thing you asked me to prove where someone said something i did, and that was your defence? Why did you ask me to prove only to go back on what you originaly asked?
I asked you to show me where someone said that every album that's popular and sells millions is crap. You did say that's what people here are saying, so show me where it's said.

Quote:
Funny thing is you keep saying I starting the trouble, but I have said my peace and done it respectfully, you guys keep coming back at me.
You are an uninformed, closed minded hypocrite. See? Not so respectful, is it?

Unread 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #239
Banned

OK first of all i see many bands i wish i didnt have to see. As to knowing if she was lip syncing, trust me she wasnt, I have been alive long enough to know the difference, played many shows back in the 80's and to honest, yes i was about ten feet away.

I am not so much defending Ashlee, althought that seems to be what it turned into, but more the fact i just cant stand it when people put down music they dont like, or make assumptions on music over a few little things they know about it.

As to seeing opeth on video form, trust me it can be cleaned up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleven59 View Post
It's funny how you saw her live and defend her as if your feelings have been hurt and yet claim to not be a fan.

No offense dude, I used to be you back in my Jemsite days, that's why my post count there is so high, I wouldn't constantly get into full-blown arguments defending bands I liked that people bashed, until I realized it doesn't matter what other people think, and different opinions are what makes this whole music thing interesting.

One more thing: she was caught lip syncing, you saw her live and she was spot on all night...you don't see a possible connection there at all? Unless you were front row center, 10 feet away from her, I doubt you'd be able to say definitively that she wasn't lip syncing.
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:17 AM   #240
SS.org Regular

Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.Makelele is shredding to new heights.
Iron Maiden caught lip-synching:

It's shocking!!!

Now I lay me down to sleep
Blah, blah, blah my soul to keep
If I die before I wake
I'll go to hell for heaven's sake
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #241
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian View Post
You talking about this ?
The faux Sinatra/oldschool country vocal is hilarious. Heroin kills, kiddies.

[action=Drew]loves Nirvana but knows a good joke when he sees it.[/action]

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #242
Banned

Once again, i used Ashlee as an example, but you dont seem to pick the up. My whole big argument is about people putting down music and artists they do not know much about. Which ironicaly is what this whole thread was started for.

Quote:
FYI dude, the word "fan" is a short form of "fanatic".

You say you're not a "fan" but I'd say your defense of her music is the definition of fanatical.
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #243
None shall pass.

Quote:
Actually i like winger too, but to be honest I would never say anything bad about any band, because honestly I respect all music, even if it makes me cringe listening to it.
And they're not saying anything "bad" about Ashlee. They're saying they've seen videos where she was singing way out of key (and not a single video of her singing in tune where she's not clearly lip syncing, I might point out), they're saying it's manufactured pop music WHICH IT IS, and they're saying they don't personally like her music or consider her very talented.

I personally don't have a problem with manufactured pop music as, being an aspiring songwriter/producer/engineer I see the talent lurking behind the scenes, and I love a catchy tune. Hell, I actually like some of Ashlee's songs, even if I don't like her voice or personality.

But, dude, if you consider yourself a musician at all, you can't possibly deny that she is singing out of tune in the video I posted. If you don't hear it, you need to invest in a seriously good tuner for your guitars as you definitely won't be able to do it by ear (a lot of guitarists can't).

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #244
Canis lupis obscurus

"Few little things?"

Ashlee has been in the public spotlight forever, especially because of the substance and "quality" of her music, her music has been played ad nauseum on the radio, and yet you keep asserting we know little to nothing about her.

Unread 02-24-2008, 09:22 AM   #245
None shall pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Wolf View Post
Man, people like you are why Paris Hilton makes records.

There are honest, sincere, thoughtful, hard working musicians out there... real musicians, who struggle, and have so much to say, yet people with a catchy look and studio backing get heard. And along comes someone like you to defend it all, saying if someone points out the differences between the two, they are "narrow minded" or a "hypocrite."

Not ....ing cool, man.
To be fair, a lot of those honest, sincere, thoughtful, hard working musicians are working behind the scenes writing and playing on those albums

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:23 AM   #246
Banned

Do you not see it, this whole thread is about people making judgements about artists and groups they do not know much about. Yet they are making judgements and stupid comments, is that not being a hypocrite?

Yes people have there opinions, but when they are posting in a thread about how people make stupid comments based on there opinions, and yet they are making the same stupid opinions on another artist I have a problem with that.

Quote:
And people here are of the opinion that her singing sucks. What's so hard abou tthis?

I asked you to show me where someone said that every album that's popular and sells millions is crap. You did say that's what people here are saying, so show me where it's said.

You are an uninformed, closed minded hypocrite. See? Not so respectful, is it?
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #247
metalguitarist.org

Quote:
You're talking to a forum full of musicians about a premade pop princess who started out with a multi million dollar budget and had a team of producers pen her an album full of songs that she wrote lyrics to. Lyrics about how much life sucks when you're loaded but your sister is prettier and more famous than you are.

I have more in common with gangsta rappers talking about how hard it is to live in the 'hood than I do with Ashlee Simpson and her "pain", and I'm a white dude who lives in the burbs. At least the rappers are talking about something legitimate.

Then, because her sister and family are famous, that album got ....tons of MTV rotation and airplay. BECAUSE OF THAT, the album sold millions of copies, because the nature of media is that people buy what's popular, unless you think 13 year old girls are out there buying albums because they appreciate the intricate musical compositions.

Given all this, I don't see where your shock and awe comes from when people on here (actual musicians!) say she sucks.

Unread 02-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #248
Canis lupis obscurus

Which only reinforces my point. I can't believe you don't see that, Eleven.

It's like if the world's best chef's could only have jobs at McDonalds, because they control 99% of all restaurants. A situation very analogous to the music industry, at least until very, very recently.

Chris - well said. My point exactly.

Unread 02-24-2008, 09:24 AM   #249
Fear the Polo!

Drew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnateDrew is Odin incarnate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makelele View Post
Iron Maiden caught lip-synching:

It's shocking!!!

Ok, and this one's even better. If I'm in an international rock band that ever has to lip-sync a performance, I'm SO doing this.

My think with Ashley is that she from day one billed herself as an anti-mainstream artist, with the punkier edgeand rebel image and whatnot. Since then, she's gotten caught lip-syncing and had a nosejob, after saying she'dnever have plastic surgery.

In short, she sold out. I don't really care to debate if she has "talent" or not, because I have zero respect for her credibility.

(To be fair, her father is probably at fault)

"...and everything under the sun is in tune, but the sun is eclipsed by the moon."

http://www.metalguitarist.org
Unread 02-24-2008, 09:26 AM   #250
Banned

OK you posted one video of her out of tune, i never said she wasnt, actualy i said everyone has a bad day.

Now once again you say it is manafactured pop music, but yet she is writing on her own personal feelings, is that really manafactured?

Quote:
And they're not saying anything "bad" about Ashlee. They're saying they've seen videos where she was singing way out of key (and not a single video of her singing in tune where she's not clearly lip syncing, I might point out), they're saying it's manufactured pop music WHICH IT IS, and they're saying they don't personally like her music or consider her very talented.

I personally don't have a problem with manufactured pop music as, being an aspiring songwriter/producer/engineer I see the talent lurking behind the scenes, and I love a catchy tune. Hell, I actually like some of Ashlee's songs, even if I don't like her voice or personality.

But, dude, if you consider yourself a musician at all, you can't possibly deny that she is singing out of tune in the video I posted. If you don't hear it, you need to invest in a seriously good tuner for your guitars as you definitely won't be able to do it by ear (a lot of guitarists can't).
Closed Thread