homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
Yarrrrrr

shadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sepultura

"Lookaway" and "Ratamahata" (sp?) came on shuffle on my iPod in the last few days and I was really into it. I bought Roots months and months ago and was just like What makes this good? I'll admit though, it's growing on me... that guitar is thick as ..... What makes that kind of tone?

wouldn't say i'm really into them yet, but i'm coming round.
shadowgenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-05-2007, 01:43 AM   #2
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Schizophrenia, Arise & Chaos AD are all you need.
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
^^You forgot Beneath The Remains and Morbid Visions. Tsk tsk.

From memory, Max had just started playing ESP and Andreas was still playing Jackson, no idea about amplifiers though. Downtuning to B (roughly, the tuning's all over the place on that album) and hiring Ross Robinson to steal all of Korn's tricks were a big part of it, I'm sure.

Max has mentioned he's warming to the idea of a reunion tour with Sepultura but that it'd have to include ex-members from the early days, like their first lead guitarist and vocalist. I wonder if the current post/Cavalera members are part of his vision...
DDDorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:56 AM   #4
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 50 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowgenesis View Post
"Lookaway" and "Ratamahata" (sp?) came on shuffle on my iPod in the last few days and I was really into it. I bought Roots months and months ago and was just like What makes this good? I'll admit though, it's growing on me... that guitar is thick as ..... What makes that kind of tone?

wouldn't say i'm really into them yet, but i'm coming round.
Roots is just Mesas, I believe a rackmount Dual Rectifier w/ Seymour Duncan pickups. The usual Ross Robinson produced fair. The tone on the record is pretty cool. I used to love that record when I was younger, but it no longer interests me. I don't really think their old-school thrash material is that special, kind of boring to me. I do like/own Chaos AD though, best of both worlds. I actually found the latest Soulfly record to be pretty heavy, I was pretty surprised.
zimbloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 01:58 AM   #5
Yarrrrrr

shadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud ofshadowgenesis has much to be proud of
ya know it's weird. I could probably get grilled for saying it, but listening to some of their stuff, i hear some similar elements in older Korn. There's some of the same guitar tone, and on Lookaway, the kinda spoken vocals sound just like when John Davis does that kinda stuff. Really breathy and soft.
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:00 AM   #6
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.DDDorian harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
I'm pretty sure he that's actually him on that track. The Korn drummer is on "Ratamahatta" too, if I recall correctly. It's been so long since I listened to that album, might have to dig it out
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:00 AM   #7
Nick // Axe Palace

zimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnatezimbloth is Odin incarnate
Quote:
ya know it's weird. I could probably get grilled for saying it, but listening to some of their stuff, i hear some similar elements in older Korn. There's some of the same guitar tone, and on Lookaway, the kinda spoken vocals sound just like when John Davis does that kinda stuff. Really breathy and soft.
Like I said, typical Ross Robinson produced fair. All the albums he did in that era (Korn's first 2 albums, Bizkit's first, Roots, the first Soulfly, even the Vanilla Ice metal CD) all had that same sound. I'm pretty sure he used the Mesa Racktifier on all of those.
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:01 AM   #8
Yarrrrrr

yeah... didn't the original vocalist (who was kinda the heart of their sound from what i read) eventually leave the band and start another band that had pretty moderate success in that scene? I don't remember the details... or where i read about it actually. I was doing that "listening to what my influences listen to", and i found out Daron Malakian was hugely influenced by Sepultura. It's so cool hearing influences in music and kinda seeing how it all comes together.
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:03 AM   #9
Nick // Axe Palace

Quote:
yeah... didn't the original vocalist (who was kinda the heart of their sound from what i read) eventually leave the band and start another band that had pretty moderate success in that scene? I don't remember the details... or where i read about it actually. I was doing that "listening to what my influences listen to", and i found out Daron Malakian was hugely influenced by Sepultura. It's so cool hearing influences in music and kinda seeing how it all comes together.
You mean Max Cavalera? Yeah he quit in 1997 to start "Soulfly". Sepultura replaced him with Derrick Green, who is still with the band.
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:04 AM   #10
Yarrrrrr

wow. i never would have put those two bands together. It seems like guys into the metal that's this heavy always stay FAR from Korn and other more pop-friendly metal.

what's Soulfly like? at first i was thinking of Flyleaf and i was just like wtf???
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:06 AM   #11
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

If you mean Sepultura's first singer, he went by "Wagner Antichrist" (they all had dumb names back then) and did vocals on the first Sepultura EP, Bestial Devastation, which is included on the reissue of the Morbid Visions album. He went on to form Sarcofago who sound pretty similar to early Sepultura, although their first album INRI used a drum machine that just makes the sloppiness of the guitars even more apparent It's a pretty cool album if you're into that style though.

EDIT: you were talking about Max, figures Yeah, Max was the singer/rythym guitarist in Sepultura who left and formed Soulfly, which has pretty much continued in the style of Roots to varying degrees of success.
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:08 AM   #12
Nick // Axe Palace

Quote:
wow. i never would have put those two bands together. It seems like guys into the metal that's this heavy always stay FAR from Korn and other more pop-friendly metal.

what's Soulfly like? at first i was thinking of Flyleaf and i was just like wtf???
You've never heard Soulfly? Where have you been? Been around for like 10 years now. Anyways, Soulfly is a lot like stuff you'd hear on the Roots album, only a little more groovy and heavy. It's very simple stuff, hit or miss really. Nothing special.

Also I don't really think old Korn was any less heavy than Sepultura. I'd argue that Korn's self-titled album was heavier than "Roots" or pretty much anything Sepultura has done since Chaos AD.
Unread 09-05-2007, 02:10 AM   #13
Yarrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDorian View Post
EDIT: you were talking about Max, figures
ha. it's all good. props for having the random knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimbloth View Post
Also I don't really think old Korn was any less heavy than Sepultura. I'd argue that Korn's self-titled album was heavier than "Roots" or pretty much anything Sepultura has done since Chaos AD.
yeahhh.. you're probably right. i too-quickly associate how heavy/intense something is by the vocals which really isn't true whatsoever. *sigh* I need to be more culturally enlightened.

Last edited by shadowgenesis; 09-05-2007 at 02:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Unread 09-05-2007, 08:03 AM   #14

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Chaos AD was the last thing they did I like. BTR is a masterpiece, IMO.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2007, 10:10 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Decipher is just really niceDecipher is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Roots is defenitly one of my top 5 albums that really launched me into guitar. And the tone on that album is sooooo raunchy!! Andreas' leads are one of my hugest influences to the day. Chaos AD was a masterpeice!! I love listening to Beneath the Reamins and Arise here and there. Schizophrenia is also a guilty pleasure. And I've only liked the odd tracks from more recent albums. I really think they've gone downhill oveer the years.......
Decipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2007, 03:57 AM   #16
Yarrrrrr

/\ didn't even know they were still around.. I kinda hear them talked about as a band that "was" not "is"

found the CD booklet for Roots and found out John Davis and Mike Patton were both on Lookaway. No wonder i liked it so much. That's an eclectic group of metal vocalists... Wish i saw more cool collaboration stuff like that.

so methinks ordering Chaos AD is in line.
Unread 09-06-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
Mantis Toboggan, M.D
Super Moderator

Sepultura appreciation thread

Try this thread for some clips and a bunch of opinions
Unread 09-07-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
ERG Ambassador

lucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
As a brazilian and metaller I was (and I still am) very influenced by these guys. I used to be so proud of them (I´m still proud) but they´re not the same anymore since Max left.

Anyway, Chaos and Roots opened my mind to a lot of heavier metal and I thank them for that. I still love those albums and spin them ocasionally.

Max is like a hero to me, he can´t play to save his life, but he makes cool riffs and is a godly frontman. I own all of Soulfly´s albums also and I´m looking forward to The Cavalera Conspiracy, which is the new band by Max and Igor Cavalera. They will release their debut in the beginning of 2008.

They have Marc Rizzo on guitar (just like Soulfly) and Joe Duplantier from Gojira on bass. Really looking forward to it...
lucasreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 01:09 AM   #19
Ibanez Fanboy

amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Man that post made me feel old...

Chaos AD ruled my world from about 1993-1996. I remember them copping a lot of flack when roots came out cause of the huge influence Ross Robinson had on their sound. I am actually a big fan of that early Robinson sound... It was totally new to me and I remember putting roots on, hearing the song was waaaay tuned down and going "wow".
amonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 01:32 AM   #20
No More Mr. Nice Guy

Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.Michael is so metal, he bleeds rust.
I haven't listened to much Sepultura before. At Gigantour last year, Soulfly played Roots Bloody Roots. It was pretty cool.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 01:44 AM   #21
Hates the Air

Metal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from CirrhosisMetal Ken is suffering from Cirrhosis
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by amonb View Post
It was totally new to me and I remember putting roots on, hearing the song was waaaay tuned down and going "wow".

Same thing happened to me, except i went "Wow" and went to listen to Arise again
Metal Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 02:05 AM   #22
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 30 reviews
i dig roots, i found their older thrash albums to be some what mediocre, just kind of plain, roots really has a different sound

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 08:37 AM   #23
ss.org Regular

lordofthesewers can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ken View Post
Same thing happened to me, except i went "Wow" and went to listen to Arise again
haha yeah!
lordofthesewers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 09:07 AM   #24

Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.Toshiro is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 20 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Ken View Post
+1

Or I reached for Nailbomb.
Toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2007, 09:12 AM   #25
Ibanez Fanboy

amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/amonb is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiro View Post
+1

Or I reached for Nailbomb.
+1 Goddamn I loved that Nailbomb CD... I personally thought it pissed over a LOT of the so-called "milestone"metal albums that came out around that time. I won't mention them cause I don't want that much flaming!
amonb is offline   Reply With Quote