homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-05-2012, 09:23 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Amazing Bands who just arrived too late to the party...

Talking bout bands that deserved to be huge, should have been but arrived on their relative scenes just too late to catch the tidal wave of success and missed out on platinum sales, stadium tours etc etc and all down to nothing more than changing times & tastes...

Start this off with UK Band Thunder... Imagine if Backstreet Symphony had been release in 1987/88 same time as Hysteria and 1987....

She so fine

Love walked in
Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 08-05-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
SYL

PettyThief is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The old lineup of Exodus. (should have been way bigger than metallica....)
M3CHK1LLA likes this.

Cheers
PettyThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM   #3
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
Probably Testament. First album out in '87, way after the first wave of thrash had broken. They still aren't doing too badly though

That would be a combination of skill, determination and ....ing cracking songs.

Also, these guys:

They really should have been big, and I don't know why they weren't. They had the songs, they most certainly had the chops (Steve Lynch was known for his incredible eight-fingered tapping solos on nearly every song), the singer's voice is a little annoying in large doses but he can definitely sing... but they just never hit big, and consequently barely anyone has ever heard of them. That's a shame IMO.
Sikthness likes this.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Sanctuary
Sofos likes this.
Thep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 02:09 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

wrongnote85 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketheadRules View Post
Probably Testament. First album out in '87, way after the first wave of thrash had broken. They still aren't doing too badly though

That would be a combination of skill, determination and ....ing cracking songs.

Also, these guys:

They really should have been big, and I don't know why they weren't. They had the songs, they most certainly had the chops (Steve Lynch was known for his incredible eight-fingered tapping solos on nearly every song), the singer's voice is a little annoying in large doses but he can definitely sing... but they just never hit big, and consequently barely anyone has ever heard of them. That's a shame IMO.
dude, i'm pretty sure everyone knows turn up the radio. however, not knowing who the band/artist is has been the norm for a majority of the population for years now.
SirMyghin likes this.

The Official Traverser ReverbNation
http://www.reverbnation.com/traverserofficial

The Official Traverser Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/Traverserofficial
wrongnote85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Shammas has a spectacular aura about
Event- An awesome late 90s prog band that came out right around when DT was doing FII and LTE. They toured with some good bands, just never really got the credit they deserved.

Weatherman-
Perfect Illusion-
Shammas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #7
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
.... yeah, Thunder.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Koop is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ghost!
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongnote85 View Post
dude, i'm pretty sure everyone knows turn up the radio. however, not knowing who the band/artist is has been the norm for a majority of the population for years now.
That's the only one they know though - they were a complete one-hit wonder but Turn Up The Radio is by no means their best song. Does it still count if they had about five minutes of fame and little else?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
Gegen England!

LamaSabachthani will become famous soon enough
Even though they're not at all a favourite band, I think that TNT would fit the bill. They've enjoyed a relatively long career, albeit with a hefty dose of cheesiness thrown in.

Typically absurd 1980s needlessly over the top drumkit as well haha
LamaSabachthani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
Edgy Highschooler

BIG ND SWEATY is just really niceBIG ND SWEATY is just really nice

they were kinda early to the party i guess lol

brutalwizard- "idk what kind of heavy dicked men you have come across,

but they almost sound as interesting as you say hahaha"

"That's because if you're going to dip your marshmallow in the fire, you need to crisp that ............ up to make it all gooey and delicious.

Not opting to let the man let his artistry run wild is like lightly browning the marshmallow. Still very tasty, just not quite the same."- Valennic on daemoness guitars
BIG ND SWEATY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 11:06 PM   #12
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Probably Testament. First album out in '87, way after the first wave of thrash had broken.
Testament have been around since 83 but they got signed on the day Cliff Burton died so even the band themselves thought that to be an eerie stigma. But then again, Death Angel were around the same time and also released their first album in 87. Hell if it weren't for another unfortunate but non fatal accident....

Otherwise I agree:

An amazingly heavy album that came right in the peak of the grunge era long after thrash was on the down low (pun intended). Though it's also arguable that the album was ahead of it's time...

Quote:
They still aren't doing too badly though

They're doing far better than a lot of their peers and predecessors and still showing the new thrash bands who's boss.
Heineken and M3CHK1LLA like this.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #13
Lazy Ryebread Viking

ilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to all
I'd say Warrant, but they did have one hit. Killed by grunge. And D-A-D had one hit in the USA in 1989, but were similarly knocked off by grunge when it exploded. However they had, and still have, a pretty decent career in Denmark.

After that they managed to make some great alt rock albums (one of which actually made it to Beavis and Butthead), but by then it was too late.

If you're a prog fan, you probably know Threshold, but they should have been a lot bigger than they were (or are, because they're still active in England mostly).

ilyti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

anomynous has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Revocation

20 years too late, if they were somehow around in the 80's, I think they'd be in the Big Four
xhellchosemex likes this.
anomynous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
Testament have been around since 83 but they got signed on the day Cliff Burton died so even the band themselves thought that to be an eerie stigma. But then again, Death Angel were around the same time and also released their first album in 87. Hell if it weren't for another unfortunate but non fatal accident....
Actually, to elaborate further, 1986-1987 onwards was when thrash was really booming. Vio-Lence, Forbidden, Annhialator: all also released their debut albums in 87. A lot of the next wave of thrash bands were also bringing their big guns at this time. That's what happens when Master of Puppets, Peace Sells, Among The Living and Reign In Blood all come out.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 11:38 PM   #16
The One Who Knocks

Ralyks is just really niceRalyks is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Fates Warning. I firmly believe that had 'Parallels' been released before Grunge kicked in and they were pretty much lost promotion for the album, they would had been big.

ilyti, November5th, cfrank and 1 others like this.
Ralyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #17
Pardon my french

Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Andromalia is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Queensryche. Being a prog metal band from Seattle with quite a technical background at the time of the grunge explosion woas sort of counterproductive, people expected grunge when they heard "Seattle".
Andromalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #18
Master of Chihuahuas

Tang is just really niceTang is just really nice

I feel they really missed the apex of the whole 'djent' wave.
Tang is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 01:06 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

anomynous has a spectacular aura about
Considering the djent wave is still going strong (apparently), I find it hard to say they missed it.
anomynous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 02:54 AM   #20
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
If Tom Waits was born roughly 2000 years earlier, nobody would have given that "Jesus" guy any credit.
kris_jammage and djyngwie like this.
Loomer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #21
angel sword guardian

M3CHK1LLA is a name known to allM3CHK1LLA is a name known to allM3CHK1LLA is a name known to allM3CHK1LLA is a name known to all
yeah some great bands mentioned...testement, exodus, fates warning & death angel for sure! i would also add flotsam and jetsam.

maybe a little more "underground" but also s.o.d. / m.o.d. and d.r.i.

from texas or live here? check in ---> http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/off...ers-check.html

I always thought Cliff getting killed instead of Lars was like John Lennon getting killed instead of Yoko - MJS
M3CHK1LLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 03:20 AM   #22
Tears Are My Bidet

HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.HeHasTheJazzHands is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andromalia View Post
Queensryche. Being a prog metal band from Seattle with quite a technical background at the time of the grunge explosion woas sort of counterproductive, people expected grunge when they heard "Seattle".
Queensryche released their first album in '84 and were consodered one of the biggest metal bands between '88 - '94. They died out because of GT's and his wife's horrible decisions.

Iced Earth fits the bill, IMO. They released their first studio albums, which are amazing thash records .in the early 90s, when grunge was booming.
ilyti likes this.
HeHasTheJazzHands is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 04:27 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

TheSpaceforthis can only hope to improve
Textures, Mnemic, Sybreed

all those would be bigger by now
TheSpaceforthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyti View Post
I'd say Warrant, but they did have one hit. Killed by grunge.
They were killed by grunge, but they were big, just not for very long. Their first two albums both went double platinum and IIRC 6 songs from those albums hit above 20 on the US rock charts... Dog Eat Dog not being anywhere near as good as the first two albums didn't help them either
HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

Osiris will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralyks View Post
Fates Warning. I firmly believe that had 'Parallels' been released before Grunge kicked in and they were pretty much lost promotion for the album, they would had been big.
I was gonna say something about Arch-Matheos' recent work, but then again there wasn't really a prog party, ever. or was there
Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote