homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
Banned

DarkRain93 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lightbulb Raised A tuning for Extreme soloing

I saw a Ibanez 30 fret guitar not long ago and I got an idea for extreme soloing for it, I'm not much for super high key soloing but I had the idea of Tuning one to Raised A tuning (basically E standard minus the low E and a High A440 string)and already on a 24 fret guitar its extremely high, a perfect 4th higher than normal, sounds not much but really it is.(I know so cause I tune down a P4 from Standard to B) But I wonder if any extreme or Super Power metal bands or any band would do this? You'd get some seriously insane solos into the stratosphere lol.
DarkRain93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-25-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Please use a different color font. That blue is hard to read.
The Beard and DarkRain93 like this.

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Melodic Mamma Jamma

JStraitiff is a jewel in the rough
That is one weird looking guitar. Thats probably how the Uli Jon Roth guitar started then they realized that the horn was so thin they might as well knock it off

I dont personally desire to go any higher than the 24th fret on high E. I think it would probably sound pretty shrill that high up.
DarkRain93 likes this.

JStraitiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:12 AM   #4
Banned

Ooops sorry dude, my bad
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
There's plenty of talk about high A tuning here It doesn't work without Octave4Plus strings on a normal scale guitar, though.
I definitely wouldn't fancy a 6 string for it - no low E would be fine for solos but I wouldn't like it for riffing at all.
I'm planning to have a short scale 7 string made with a high A and a trem for 'Extreme soloing' haha
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
Banned

My dad told me most Glam metal bands play in A even though tuned to E >.> , A sounds interesting to me.
Unread 06-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #7
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Quite possible - I can think of a few oldies I've covered that are in A.
However key of the song has nothing to do with tuning - I'd just feel weird not being able to lower than A regardless of what key I'm playing in

Can give it a try but you'll be needing O4P strings or a guitar with 23" scale length or so. Or you can just tune to G and Capo
AxeHappy and DarkRain93 like this.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 02:07 AM   #8
Banned

Yeah , I thought it was true
You got a point too, even if the high A string existed long ago, not many would have just strictly used it, they would miss the Low E
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Banned

Really this is food for thought, I always think of odd ideas like this.
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
SenorDingDong and DarkRain93 like this.
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #11
Banned

Playing in A for Riffing would be fun for me and I already do so with Dropped A on my Guitar, more for contrasting, Im sure it would work fine. Octave4plus A440 is a definite need for it , I don't know how well it would do with the trem >.> but I seen the high string on many different types of guitars. 7, 8 even a 11 string guitar that had 43 frets I believe O.o, and the scale had to be past 30" lol I'll look for the youtube video it was on later.
Unread 06-26-2012, 07:06 AM   #12
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRain93 View Post
Playing in A for Riffing would be fun for me and I already do so with Dropped A on my Guitar, more for contrasting, Im sure it would work fine. Octave4plus A440 is a definite need for it , I don't know how well it would do with the trem >.> but I seen the high string on many different types of guitars. 7, 8 even a 11 string guitar that had 43 frets I believe O.o, and the scale had to be past 30" lol I'll look for the youtube video it was on later.
This post is barely coherent. Please put some effort into typing out your thoughts so other people might understand what you are talking about.
Also, use punctuation and grammar!
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:21 AM   #13
delicious neckbeard

Fat-Elf is a glorious beacon of lightFat-Elf is a glorious beacon of lightFat-Elf is a glorious beacon of light
Raised A-tuning? I tuned my 22 fret Telecaster to G-standard and even that made my ears bleed.
DarkRain93 likes this.
Fat-Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #14
Giver of the Likes

Nile is a jewel in the rough
IMO, anything higher than the 24th fret in E standard on the high E would give me a massive headache.
sleightest and DarkRain93 like this.

PUSSIES DON'T SIGN NEG REP.

Nile is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.troyguitar is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
ss.org, where all extended range is good - as long as it's in bass territory. Those violins can keep their high notes, get off my lawn!
Murmel, AxeHappy, kamello and 4 others like this.
troyguitar is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:34 PM   #16
Banned

I don't see anything wrong with what I wrote, its just a general quick comment, maybe slow down and read it, then again I did write that at 2am so eh. Seems ok with me. It could be worse.
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

sleightest will become famous soon enough
or you could just use a pedal.... I agree with the massive headache as well. "Marooned" is one of my favorite solos but the super high notes still rustle my jimmies sometimes when I listen to it. I think maybe if you could work out a good tone specifically for playing notes that high up you could do some cool stuff though. There are definitley other instruments that can play notes that high and not sound annoying as .... so im sure tweaking tone and effects you could do some cool stuff. Definitely slower playing would be easier to pull off and have it sound good. The problem with shredding that high up and staying up there is its too many high notes and it would sound annoying really easily if you threw in only a few high notes though or did string skipping it would be cool.
DarkRain93 likes this.
sleightest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:58 PM   #18
Banned

Clear up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRain93 View Post
Playing on the 2nd A string in Dropped A (A E "A" D F# B), going between octaves for contrasting low and "higher" A strings. But now just using that A2 string as the lowest string for Raised A to get a brighter rhythm sound as compared to the Darker Low A1.\m/ The Octave4plus A440 string, High A4 is very much needed, other strings would break. I don't know if it would break when using the tremolo. And continued to say on many different types of guitars; people have used the High A, so it shouldn't be an issue in theory. Now I will look for that cool 11 string guitar video, I hope guys will enjoy it.
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #19
Banned

Clear up

<deleted>
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:02 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

InfinityCollision is a name known to allInfinityCollision is a name known to allInfinityCollision is a name known to allInfinityCollision is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by troyguitar View Post
ss.org, where all extended range is good - as long as it's in bass territory. Those violins can keep their high notes, get off my lawn!
I'd be ok with the violins not playing their high notes either, not a fan of super-high notes in general. Then there's piccolos... ever sit with your ear next to the business end of a piccolo? It's actually painful.
celticelk likes this.
InfinityCollision is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:12 AM   #21
SS.org Regular

groovemasta is a jewel in the rough
The cut away looks like it would snap off if you picked it up by it
DarkRain93 likes this.
groovemasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 12:44 AM   #22
SS.org Regular

decypher is a jewel in the rough
Listen to Dragonforce. Guitars, 24th frets, sliding up, Mickey Mouse... it's fun for some but usually it's just cheese.
DarkRain93 likes this.
decypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #23
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
I'm in favor of not playing a bunch of ultra-high notes as well. Personally, I rarely play above the 15th-17th fret. Sonny Sharrock used to say of soloing on the wound strings: "That's a tenor saxophone down there, man!" I'm inclined to agree. Give me a tenor over a soprano sax any day.
InfinityCollision likes this.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

RevDrucifer is a jewel in the rough
I played one of those at NAMM a couple years ago, the last few frets were so tight spaced, I couldn't really even get my fingers on em' properly. It felt kind of like a toy, really.
DarkRain93 likes this.
RevDrucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 10:42 PM   #25
Lefty cursed...

MetalMike04 is just really niceMetalMike04 is just really nice
just have to add...

looks way better...
SpaceDock and DarkRain93 like this.
MetalMike04 is offline   Reply With Quote