homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

Gashzilla is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Guitar Player Question - Number of Instruments

So, I was thinking...I have always been at odds when owning more than one guitar at a time. I know its kind of the heavy metal 'standard' to own tons of guitars, but for me, between the costs and the aforementioned uneasiness, owning more than one guitar at a time has always been odd. I am currently playing a Fender Tele with a DiMarzio X2N bridge, and a Dean Vendetta VNXM 7 string. I had only owned a single Ibanez, then traded up to a better one, then bought the Dean, then traded the Ibby for the Tele. I'm starting to have the urge to consolidate my guitars and my existing amp for one single very nice 7 string.

My questions: are there other 'lone ranger' guitarists out there? If you have more than one, do you favor one over the other, and if so, why would you NOT consolidate your equipment? Am I odd for wanting to find the one instrument that inspires me? What is the impetus for purchasing so many guitars?

Thank you all, and I look forward to your answers!!!
Gashzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #2
sixstringer

Bigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I only have two at the moment. Sold all my others because of my RG2120xvv. I also have two basses, an oud, and a ukelele and my drums. plenty to keep me busy and entertained.
Bigfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:44 AM   #3
Edgy Highschooler

BIG ND SWEATY is just really niceBIG ND SWEATY is just really nice
I have 6 at the moment the 2 that get the most play time is my Ibanez 7 and my ibanez gsz120. I don't really play the the others but its not because they are bad guitars, I just don't gel with them like I do the others.

brutalwizard- "idk what kind of heavy dicked men you have come across,

but they almost sound as interesting as you say hahaha"

"That's because if you're going to dip your marshmallow in the fire, you need to crisp that ............ up to make it all gooey and delicious.

Not opting to let the man let his artistry run wild is like lightly browning the marshmallow. Still very tasty, just not quite the same."- Valennic on daemoness guitars
BIG ND SWEATY is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:48 AM   #4
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm trying to downsize to 2-3. Im at 7 or 8 atm.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

So, why keep all the crap around??? Sounds to me like some guys have maybe one or two instruments they dig, and then a ton that could easily add up to at least one custom piece if sold...are guitarists natural packrats? Don't get me wrong, I think in general there is probably a guitar for every musical occasion, and I love having a six and a seven to play on, but I get a creepy feeling having more than one...I guess especially since I feel that my sweet spot axe is still out there waiting for me...
Unread 06-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #6
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.brutalwizard is shredding to new heights.
I have 1 that i play and the parts to put together a couple 6's.

The only reason i would consider another mij ibby 7 is to fulfill my want for different tunings.

Until you really have the financial situation to own insane amounts of nice gear, get the best you can find in your price range.
Gashzilla likes this.

Check out my band

Facebook.come/forsythiaofficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:01 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

OttoMcintyre is on a distinguished road
I only have two at the moment.
OttoMcintyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:06 AM   #8
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gashzilla View Post
So, why keep all the crap around??? Sounds to me like some guys have maybe one or two instruments they dig, and then a ton that could easily add up to at least one custom piece if sold...are guitarists natural packrats? Don't get me wrong, I think in general there is probably a guitar for every musical occasion, and I love having a six and a seven to play on, but I get a creepy feeling having more than one...I guess especially since I feel that my sweet spot axe is still out there waiting for me...
I think it depends on each person, some people play in different tuning, play in multiple bands, etc...

Im downsizing for the reason you listed though, switching out to all high end stuff. Just waiting on a vik and I have an o.a.f on route.
NeoTheMaggot and Gashzilla like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

Viks look really nice. I'm holding out for the Parker 7...yup...in my dreams. Until then I'm gonna hawk my tele and dean and line 6 amp and get an Agile Intrepid Dual Pro and throw a calibrated Aftermath set in it...and then buy my bassists Johnson head and cabinet for playing out in the open. I think...subject to change as usual...
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #10
Hairy Old Bloke

hairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to allhairychris is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If you play live and only own one guitar you're, IMO, asking for trouble somewhere down the line.

GADZOOKS AND ODDS BODKINS!!!!!
Not a hipster: Blackmachine, Jaden Rose, Paul Reed Smith, Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Gibson, Boss, Diezel, Marshall, Framus, VHT, Ampeg, Electro Harmonix, Korg, Alesis, MFB, Doepfer, Moog, Arturia.
hairychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:58 AM   #11
Jiggywiggy

myrtorp is a jewel in the rough
I have a fender 6, ibby 7 and a schecter 8. They each offer something different!
Gashzilla likes this.
myrtorp is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:40 AM   #12
SS.org Regular

prashanthan will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairychris View Post
If you play live and only own one guitar you're, IMO, asking for trouble somewhere down the line.
This. It's fine to just have one guitar if you don't play live I guess, but otherwise, you never know what could happen, so it's always worth gigging with a back-up.
Solodini likes this.
prashanthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 05:49 AM   #13
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah until very recently I've only wanted one and have always kept only one. I'm not fussed about wanting a variety of tones or something. Nor am I fussed about needing a smaller number of strings (i.e. a 9 string has a 6 string in it so that was going to be my only guitar).
However that's changed as I've got into an open tuning too, so I'm wanting a 7 string for that. My 9 can't have a trem either so I want a 7 string with a trem also.
I'm definitely still a minimalist and going to keep the number as low as possible while retaining the features I want.
Gashzilla likes this.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #14
SS.org Regular

Sikthness is a jewel in the rough
If I could find one guitar that satisfied all my playing needs, Id gladly part w/ everything I have. But for me I just don't think thats possible.
Gashzilla likes this.
Sikthness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.Louis Cypher is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I got 5 right now, due to be 6 soon, most I had 8.... Any lone ranger player who gigs and that shoudl have atleast one back up, but other than that I don't see the problem having as many as you want or can afford even if you don't play live or record or need them for different tunings etc etc... apart from all that, guitars are fcuking gorgeous, they are great things to own and why not have as many as you want they will all mean something different to you, even if its just in the looks department.

Mine will always be a minimum of 4 coz over the years I been lucky enough to find 4 "sweet spot" guitars that I really could never part with (relic strat, mutt voyager, custom 7 string & my Jackson Adrian Smith fyi) Others come and go and I may find a 5th sweet spot guitar but thoses four just cover every base from being a musical tool right through to just pure GAS....
Louis Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
Resident Cherokee

mr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to beholdmr_rainmaker is a splendid one to behold
Always gotta have a backup incase one goes down.
Gashzilla likes this.

I started out with Nothing,I still got some left...
mr_rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:08 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

TankJon666 is a jewel in the rough
I've owned tons of guitars since I started playing. At the most I had 10 at one time but I have two guitars and a bass now that are keepers. I try to be more selective about my guitar purchasing now.
Gashzilla likes this.
TankJon666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Absolute minimum is 1, of course, or 2 if you're playing live (backup, backup, backup!). Absolute maximum is the limit of your storage space and ability to keep yourself fed/housed/otherwise healthy and happy while acquiring new instruments. Other than that, I'd say it's a matter of taste. I've sold off over half of my collection in the last year, both to fund a custom 8 and to get instruments I don't play out of the house in preparation for a move. I'm down to two 6-strings (both of which I've owned for over ten years), the custom 8, and a semi-hollow 7. I expect to order another custom 8 from OAF this year, to expand my stable of available sounds in the 8-string domain. I'll probably get a solidbody 7 at some point to complement the "jazz" guitar. Other than that, I'd like new instruments to fit a new niche in some way. A Godin Glissentar is high on my "buy someday" list - fretless double-course nylon-string. That's definitely a different niche.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

Melody is the outpouring of the soul. Words interrupt the stream of the emotions.
For the songs of the souls, at the time they are swaying in the high regions to drink from the well of the Almighty,
consist of tones only, dismantled of words.
-Rabbi Shneur Zalman

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Great replies so far. I never really played out enough to warrant having a backup, but I completely understand that facet of guitar ownership. And yes, they are works of art, so should you have the cash to do so, I can see the investment as wise for any guitar player.

Keep 'em coming!
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

Interloper is just really niceInterloper is just really nice
I currently have 6 in the house but only 4 are really mine.

ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibanez RG1XXV
Ibanez RGD2127z
Agile Intrepid 828

Wife owns a Taylor acoustic and a nice MIM strat. I'm the only person who plays them though so they are kind of mine. I do play all of them except for the fender and I'm already planing to get a DC800 after we are settled in (having our first baby in about a month).

I keep them all in different tunings and I find that they each excel at different things. I really can't imagine having any less than what I have though if I had to I guess I could get by with just the RGD. But that would mean we've fallen under hard times. Ultimately I would like to grab another nice 7 string so i would have 2 of each.

all of my guitars are pretty nice though, it gets me when people have 3 or 4 low end guitars instead of just getting one nice one. You gotta have at least one nice one.
Gashzilla likes this.
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:01 PM   #21
Cherokee Warrior

TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.TonyFlyingSquirrel is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have 4:
6 in A440
7 in A440
6 Baritone
6 acoustic in A440
my Warmoth Z duned down a whole step to DGCFAD got stolen about a year ago.

I prefere having more, different tunings give you additional tonal centers, allows you to acquire different tones, and helps service vocal range as well.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=268162
Seven Strings to rule them all, Seven Strings to find them, Seven Strings to bring them all and in the music bind them.
TonyFlyingSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:19 PM   #22
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.

This is probably too many for a 17-year-old who doesn't play live atm...

I have:

3 sixers in E/drop D
1 sixer in Eb
1 in open C
1 seven, in either B or A
1 acoustic
1 bass

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #23
SS.org Regular

bhakan is just really nicebhakan is just really nice
I use different guitars for different tunings, sounds, and feels. I would love to find a single perfect guitar, and then buy two (for different tunings/backup) of them and be done, but no guitar can do everything. Sometimes I want humbuckers, sometimes single coils, sometime 6 strings, sometimes 7, sometime short scale, sometimes longer... the list can go on forever. Playing a les paul will never sound or feel like a strat, nor an ibanez. Each type of guitar inspires me to do different things, so I like owning many.
celticelk likes this.
bhakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:23 PM   #24
SS.org Regular

wizbit81 is a jewel in the rough
2 BRJ's in E

Carvin Holdsworth down one tone

Custom made 8 string Sutch guitar tuned normally

Status bass tuned randomly...when I record with it I tune the low string to my riff and the rest to in key notes and just play

Ibanez Archtop from my jazz degree days.

Ovation acoustic for quiet Opeth moments

Daemoness Hadian Flesh Failure currently being used for recording.

You can do everything with one, but most of us are collectors as well as musicians I think, they often go together.
wizbit81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
SS.org Regular

brector is a jewel in the rough
I only have two, my Carvin DC800 and my first guitar, a yamaha strat copy. The yamaha was my first guitar and my late grandmother bought it for me. So I will always keep it because of the sentimental value, how much she did for me.

-Brian
brector is offline   Reply With Quote