homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By technomancer
  • 2 Post By USMarine75
  • 2 Post By RevDrucifer
  • 1 Post By Esp Griffyn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #1
Lazy Ryebread Viking

ilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steve Vai - Story of Light (album and tour!)

Searched and didn't see a thread for the album yet. I'm stoked. Most anticipated album and tour for 2012 for me.

Quote:
Announcing “The Story of Light”

STEVE VAI TO RELEASE NEW SOLO ALBUM THE STORY OF LIGHT AUGUST 14 ON FAVORED NATIONS RECORDS, WITH GUEST VOCALISTS INCLUDING AIMEE MANN AND BEVERLY MCCLELLAN 12 ORIGINAL RECORDINGS CONTINUE A CONCEPTUAL NARRATIVE ARC STARTED ON VAI’S ACCLAIMED REAL ILLUSIONS: REFLECTIONS ALBUM

LOS ANGELES, CA, May 23, 2012: Virtuoso guitarist and visionary composer Steve Vai will release The Story of Light, a new solo album of original material, on August 14. The title comes out on Favored Nations Entertainment, the label Vai founded in 1999. Its sprawling and expressive 12-song set continues a conceptual and cosmic narrative arc begun on the artist’s acclaimed 2005 album Real Illusions: Reflections (also Vai’s most recent solo studio release).
Although The Story of Light is largely instrumental, the album does feature guest vocalists including singer-songwriter Aimee Mann—dueting with Vai on “No More Amsterdam,” which she also cowrote—and Beverly McClellan, a season one finalist on The Voice. McClellan appears on “John the Revelator,” a track inspired by a vintage recording of blues singer Blind Willie Johnson, whose acidsoaked vocals are in the mix as well. Other highlights include the title track (which opens the album), “Gravity Storm,” “The Moon and I,” and “Velorum.”
Throughout, three-time GRAMMY-winner Vai’s lead guitar is as lyrically resonant as it is technically masterful, his licks and solos bending sounds and in listeners’ minds in equal measure. The Story of Light follows the journey of a man driven mad by grief, intertwining tragedy, revelation, enlightenment, and redemption.
“I’m always pursuing knowledge, I’m a seeker of spiritual equilibrium—and music is a big part of that,” says Vai. “I’ve been obsessed with these kinds of ideas for years.” Looking ahead, Vai envisions a third set of songs that will unravel the mysteries and reveal truths that swirl through both The Story of Light and Real Illusions: Reflections. The completed trilogy, intended to be cinematic—even operatic—in scope, will include lyrics and narration.
The Story of Light is available as of today for online pre-sale orders. This special pre-sale selection of bundled packages is offered exclusively through Vai’s website, Steve Vai | The Story of Light, where complete details on the products and ordering information are available. Each package includes an instant download of a track from the new album personally selected by Vai, “Gravity Storm.” Following up the 2009 live album Where The Wild Things Are, The Story of Light, is Vai’s 16th solo effort. In support of its release, Vai will begin a tour of North America on August 15th in Fort Lauderdale Florida, accompanied by his band—who are also featured on the new album: Dave Weiner (guitar), Jeremy Colson (drums), Philip Bynoe (bass), and Deborah Hensen (harp, vocals, keyboards). For more information: Steve Vai | The Story of Light
Meganormous North American tour:
Quote:
08/15/12 Ft. Lauderdale, FL Revolution United States

08/16/12 St. Petersburg, FL Palladium Theater United States

08/17/12 Lake Buena Vista, FL House of Blues United States

08/17/12 Jacksonville, FL Florida Theatre United States

08/20/12 Charlotte, NC The Fillmore United States

08/21/12 Nashville, TN Marathon Musicworks United States

08/22/12 Asheville, NC Orange Peel United States

08/23/12 Atlanta, GA Centerstage United States

08/24/12 N. Myrtle Beach, SC House of Blues United States

08/25/12 Durham, NC Carolina Theatre United States

08/26/12 Richmond, VA The National United States

08/28/12 Washington D.C. The Howard Theatre United States

08/29/12 Stroudsberg, PA Sherman Theatre United States

08/30/12 Glenside, PA Keswick Theatre United States

08/31/12 Westbury, NY Theatre at Westbury United States

09/02/12 Lancaster, PA Chameleon Club United States

09/04/12 Ridgefield, CT The Ridgefield Playhouse United States

09/05/12 Wilmington, DE The Grand Opera House United States

09/06/12 Greensburg, PA Palace Theatre United States

09/07/12 New Brunswick, NJ State Theater United States

09/08/12 Morristown, NJ Mayo Performing Arts Center United States

09/09/12 Albany, NY The Egg United States

09/11/12 New York, NY Best Buy Theater United States

09/13/12 Boston, MA Wilbur Theatre United States

09/14/12 Northampton, MA Calvin Theatre United States

09/15/12 Concord, NH Capitol Center United States

09/16/12 Lebanon, NH Lebanon Opera House United States

09/17/12 Quebec, QA Capitole Du Quebec Canada

09/18/12 Montreal, QC Metropolis Canada

09/20/12 Toronto, ON Sony Centre Canada

09/21/12 Royal Oak, MI Royal Oak Music Hall United States

09/22/12 Buffalo, NY University of Buffalo Center for the Arts United States

09/24/12 Cleveland, OH House of Blues United States

09/26/12 Minneapolis, MN The Brick United States

09/27/12 Milwaukee, WI Pabst Theater United States

09/28/12 Chicago, IL House of Blues United States

09/29/12 St. Louis, MO The Pageant United States

09/30/12 Salina, KS The Stiefel United States

10/01/12 Denver, CO The Ogden Theatre United States

10/03/12 Boise, ID Knitting Factory United States

10/04/12 Seattle, WA The Moore Theatre United States

10/05/12 Vancouver, BC Commodore Ballroom Canada

10/06/12 Portland, OR Roseland Theater United States

10/07/12 Napa, CA Uptown Theatre United States

10/09/12 San Francisco, CA Regency Ballroom United States

10/10/12 Sacramento, CA Ace of Spades United States

10/11/12 Anaheim, CA City National Grove of Anaheim United States

10/12/12 Los Angeles Club Nokia United States

10/13/12 Agoura Hills, CA Canyon Club United States
So happy!
ilyti is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
Hmm he's playing Greensburg, might FINALLY get to see Vai (well, solo, saw him with David Lee Roth when Sheehan was also in the band)
Powermetalbass likes this.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
I noticed he hitting Nashville when I'll be in town visiting the wife's family. I wonder if I could convince her to let me ditch family crap for a few hours to go rock out

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Wow, 2 dates for New Hampshire - one of which is rather random, that's odd; I don't think I've ever seen any band make a stop in Lebanon, NH especially someone like Vai Maybe I'll try to get some folks together and catch him at the Wilbur

(´・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Oh shit, he's starting off in Ft. Lauderdale! I need to see that show.I don't even know if starting is significant but he's actually playing down here which is awesome!

Actually he's hitting all over Florida, and quite a few extremely less common stops. It's pretty cool that he's bringing his epicness all over the nation!

If the rest of the album is like Gravity Storm it's gonna be fantastic!

I know this probably sound weird, but I can't wait to see him. Steve Vai has to be one of the most stylish men in rock.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #6
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well, at work when his show hits Toronto.... dang. middle of a shift too at that, not willing to take the vacation really.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

the hittmann is headed in the right direction.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Hope to catch him in atl.
the hittmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #8
The GAS Man

Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.Adam Of Angels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 102 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by technomancer View Post
Hmm he's playing Greensburg, might FINALLY get to see Vai (well, solo, saw him with David Lee Roth when Sheehan was also in the band)

Didn't expect that either. Very cool

[Necris] 6:23 pm: "you will deal with the pork you recieve"
Adam Of Angels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

RevDrucifer is a jewel in the rough
I'm DEFINITELY catching the first show. The Revolution is 10 minutes from my house.

Haven't seen Vai since the 01' G3 with Petrucci/Satch. I won meet and greet passes for the G3 tour with Yngwie, but could NOT get out of working that night....man, I was PISSED.
RevDrucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
Five Align

Lagtastic is just really niceLagtastic is just really nice
Haven't seen Vai in a decade at least. Great news.
Lagtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

guitareben is a jewel in the rough
Well there was my thread.... New Steve Vai

:P But no, doesn't matter, BECAUSE HE'S TOURING!!!! OMG!! Thanks!!!!
guitareben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:33 AM   #12
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Sweet... But, more importantly... will Ann Marie Calhoun be playing violin?

BrianUV777BK and guitareben like this.

I'm a lover… Not a fighter... But I'm also a fighter, so don’t get any ideas.
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #13
Riffmiester General

BrianUV777BK is a jewel in the rough
Looks like he's hitting some different venues this tour. I'm going to hit 2 og them near Philly!! Woohoo!!

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR BAD TONE

GIMME SHRED 'TILL I"M DEAD!!
BrianUV777BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

Ill-Gotten James is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianUV777BK View Post
Looks like he's hitting some different venues this tour. I'm going to hit 2 og them near Philly!! Woohoo!!
I was just thinking that myself.

J.K. Eggleston
Ill-Gotten James is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

He's definitely playing A LOT of shows on this tour. Guess it's easier when only 5-10% of your set is vocal orientated. Lots of 4-5 shows in a row.

No Ann Marie on this tour. He's bringing out an electric harpist named Deborah Hensen though, which I'm really stoked about. She recently took the Vai class at Berklee, so she's definitely familiar with the style. Can't wait to see what they come up with using a harp.

Dave Weiner will be out with him again, as well as Jeremy Colson on drums and Philip Bynoe on bass. I'll take Phil over Sheehan any day. Love Sheehan, the dude is AMAZING, but Phil is a BASS player, not so much a lead bass player.
USMarine75 and guitareben like this.
Unread 06-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Sick, will be seeing him for sure
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:23 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

lurgar is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I'd love to go see him, but no Texas dates...or anywhere reasonably close either.
lurgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #18
progressive insanity

IAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of light
Steve Vai - "Gravity Storm" Preview from his upcoming solo album "The Story of Light" - YouTube
IAMLORDVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 10:04 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

guitareben is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDrucifer View Post
Dave Weiner will be out with him again, as well as Jeremy Colson on drums and Philip Bynoe on bass. I'll take Phil over Sheehan any day. Love Sheehan, the dude is AMAZING, but Phil is a BASS player, not so much a lead bass player.
How does Phil compare to Mr Bryan Beller? Because (IMO) HE was the sickest bass player Vai has had :o (His ear is just... omfg :p )

Edit: Oh wait, Philip was Vai's bass player back in 1996 and stuff (back when Fire garden was released and stuff), so nvm, he's sick as hell :O
guitareben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

Bryan is a beast! I think Phil's got a bit more groove and feel to his playing though.

Actually, back before that 96' tour, Bryan was auditioning, I believe the same day as Phil, for the bass spot. Vai had a really hard time choosing, understandably.

Either way, I'd take Bryan or Phil over Sheehan most days.
Unread 06-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #21
APEX

Esp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud ofEsp Griffyn has much to be proud of
There is one bassist who Vai has played with who knocks all of the others into a cocked hat;

Sheehan is the best of the modern era, but I believe that for an all round line up, the Weiner / Macalpine / Sheehan / Colsen band won't be beaten, they were amazing. Vai really had a good thing going for the 2000-2006 period, when the live show was a very slick, tight virtuoso rock act.

I heard the "Gravity Storm" track last night, it's good but not mind-blowing. Unfortunately it seems to fall into the same pit that Satch has mired in a for a few years now, in that Vai is doing something that is for him, very easy and sticking to it. The track does not really contain any progressive elements, it pretty much finishes as it started with not a whole lot of exploration in between. Compared to something off Passion and Warfare, it seems very safe, staid almost, and P&W is 22 years old now! I know Vai has taken a few years off the guitar now to focus on more orchestral stuff and is definitely keen to be remembered more a musical persona who could turn his hand to anything than just a guitar hero, but imo he should not shy away from absolutely incredible stuff that he can do.

I wait with interest to see what my all-time favourite musician will come out with, I just hope he does himself justice.
mr_rainmaker likes this.

think of it this way. you could have a room full of worthless douchebag darrel signature deans - jymellis
Esp Griffyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

Yeah man, Stu is pretty hard to beat. He was playing with Satch when I saw the first G3 tour 96', got a great little solo spot during the Satch set.

I agree with what you're saying about Vai. I actually dig the Gravity tune, because the whammy stuff is just cool, but I am really hoping for some really interesting songs on this disc. Sometimes he needs to get the .... away from a drum machine unless he's programming craziness for Mike Mangini to come in and play. ("Fire Garden Suite"!!)