homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree66Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #26
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Also, the whole "music I like is excellent, music they like is MEDIOCRE" is a shitty attitude to have. They like what they like. You like what you like. Don't expect to always agree about it. Putting down the music your band mates likes as "mediocrity" makes you sound judgmental, egotistical, and a hard guy to work with. All from just a single choice of words.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-28-2012, 12:51 PM   #27
SS.org Regular

CrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of light
I have one choice: GO SOLO like Putrid Pile and Insidious Decrepency. I highly doubt were prepared and they haven't even practiced these songs. Besides, I really don't like those songs. I just need background music

Besides I don't have to worry about cutting through and getting a tone just to be heard. I just need to play at a loud volume(or maybe I'm wrong)
CrownofWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #28
SS.org Regular

^ there's a local band here that does that. It's two guys. It's actually pretty awesome live.

Finding a good sounding video is tough, but this is them:

It's black metal, and may not be your thing, but the point is that the audience keeps right on rocking when they hit the stage, the sound is just as full and heavy, and none of the audience seem to mind how few members there are.

There's also the "cynic solution". Find a like-minded musician and writing partner you work well with, and just keep a revolving door of musicians coming in and out to help the two of you with recording and gigs. In this type of arrangement, it's a little easier to just say "no" when you don't like a musician's choices or input. After all, they're not band members, they're hired session or fill in musicians.
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:00 PM   #29
fps
Kit

fps is a jewel in the rough
Seriously, I think it would be very difficult to get that Texas In July song you just put up nailed and tight. And no I'm not joking. My band plays all kinds of things in a hard rock context, originals, in terms of covers we've recently been playing Clutch- The Mob Goes Wild, for an upcoming show. It's a fun song, brilliantly catchy, simple as anything, here it is

It's honestly been more difficult to capture the swing and energy of this song, while playing tight, than play a lot of our own comparatively more complicated material. Obviously I don't know how long you've been together or your level, but it should go without saying that just because you can play the notes of a song, that doesn't mean you can perform it well as a band. If you're not happy with their song choice then you should fight your corner, one song they want, another you're a lot happier doing, I'm just saying there are serious benefits in getting together, picking a *simple* song (and that's not simple by the way, not to my ears, generic yes but that's different) and playing it perfectly.
ArrowHead likes this.

Stream our AWESOME ROCK ALBUM Supervolcano ----------------> http://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/album/supervolcano
https://www.facebook.com/DeathApeDisco
fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #30
SS.org Regular

The amazing part about doing covers is how you can all listen to the exact thing, yet find that you each interpret it completely different. It's one thing to sit down and get on the same page note-wise, but even the entire FEEL of a song can change from member to member. We all hear things differently.

In an originals context, it's not as noticeable. When the drummer jumps in with a feel you didn't expect over a riff you bring in, it's a happy surprise. When he jumps in with a feel you didn't expect over the riff of your favorite song, now you have a problem.
fps and Guitarman700 like this.
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #31
SS.org Regular

CrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
Also, the whole "music I like is excellent, music they like is MEDIOCRE" is a shitty attitude to have. They like what they like. You like what you like. Don't expect to always agree about it. Putting down the music your band mates likes as "mediocrity" makes you sound judgmental, egotistical, and a hard guy to work with. All from just a single choice of words.
Its not that they have bad taste. We can disagree on certain bands, but I'm surprised they chose such a mundane song,when they play and listen to much better stuff. They are really not showing their true potential.
Unread 05-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #32
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownofWorms View Post
Its not that they have bad taste. We can disagree on certain bands, but I'm surprised they chose such a mundane song,when they play and listen to much better stuff. They are really not showing their true potential.
Maybe they don't think it's mundane. Try this foolish sounding positive-thinking exercise. Write down what you're thinking. Now re-read it and remove any OPINION from it. For example:

"It's not that they have bad taste. We can disagree on certain bands, but I'm surprised they chose a style like A when I thought they preferred stuff like B, which I prefer. I do not know if we have the same goals."

When you call it mundane, or not living up to potential, you sound condescending. I doubt they think it's mundane if they enjoy it. Be more specific and leave your opinion out of it. What is it about it that they like and you do not?

How would you feel if you brought a song to the table, and they called it mundane? Stupid? Boring? Lame? Those are opinion words, they don't convey much about the music, just about you. Instead use universal words, and try to find a common ground. "I prefer faster, I prefer louder, I prefer more technical, I prefer more or less groove and variation, I prefer melodic or growled vocals."

Like I said, once you start writing originals this stuff really starts to matter less. Your drummer playing groovy over something you think is broootal might create a completely unique and awesome vibe. I was freaked out in many bands, or BY many bands, to find out all the members didn't listen to anything even similar to the music they play.
Unread 05-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #33
Mattress Associate

slumber_party is on a distinguished road
I feel your pain, none of my band members want to play Dillinger escape plan stuff, fun yet challenging.

But to defend them, jumping around playing shitty hardcore is high up on the fun scale. And we tend to blend a lot of our influences, so it sounds a lot cooler in retrospect.
slumber_party is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #34
SS.org Regular

I've gone solo for just this one show(hopefully). My band is just not ready to know a song in 3 days(except my drummer who knows the song, but never played live and/or be in a band). I don't want to kick them out or part ways. We need to practice at least a dozen times(probably by the time were ready, we would have originals)
Unread 05-28-2012, 03:54 PM   #35
Shred till your dead

SpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud ofSpaceDock has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Maybe you should play what they want for this show.

If the audience doesn't like it, you will have a much better chance of switching them to you're music. If the audience does enjoy the mediocre music, maybe you will evaluate you're expectations of what the audience will enjoy.

SpaceDock is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 04:04 PM   #36
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDock View Post
Maybe you should play what they want for this show.

If the audience doesn't like it, you will have a much better chance of switching them to you're music. If the audience does enjoy the mediocre music, maybe you will evaluate you're expectations of what the audience will enjoy.
I think you didn't read that We only have 3 days to get the feeling of a song. Plus its our first time ever hearing this song(except drummer)
Unread 05-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #37
SS.org Regular

bhakan is just really nicebhakan is just really nice
So if they generally have good taste, and you say they are normally up for playing more technical stuff than this, it could be the fact that they have to learn and get it tight in 3 days. I would never want to have to get a new band to learn a sets worth of easy songs in 3 days, let alone relatively difficult ones. With so little time, get whatever you can ready for this show, and discuss what songs you guys will do in the future when you have enough time to fully learn them.
bhakan is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #38
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhakan View Post
So if they generally have good taste, and you say they are normally up for playing more technical stuff than this, it could be the fact that they have to learn and get it tight in 3 days. I would never want to have to get a new band to learn a sets worth of easy songs in 3 days, let alone relatively difficult ones. With so little time, get whatever you can ready for this show, and discuss what songs you guys will do in the future when you have enough time to fully learn them.
I'm going solo for this 1 show. We would be able to play in the future, I just think we got so much pressure for 3 days on a song I don't like and 2/3 of the band just heard. We need to be tight
Unread 05-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #39
Duh-Jent

CTID is a jewel in the rough
What I don't understand is why you got booked onto a show 3 days in advance, as an unestablished band that doesn't know their songs. Not trying to knock you but my first band had 3 weeks before our first show to get our songs down and that still wasn't enough to be tight as a band, so unless you're all rock gods, getting put onto a show 3 days in advance when your band as a whole doesn't know the songs was a bad idea.

Also, am I the only person that thinks that bands should play as bands? My band's lead guitarist has stated numerous times that if one of the members like myself couldn't be there, we'd still play the show, and it just makes him come off as an asshole. I'd rather drop the show and play one where everyone could be there instead of just playing without members all the time.
CTID is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #40
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTID View Post
What I don't understand is why you got booked onto a show 3 days in advance, as an unestablished band that doesn't know their songs. Not trying to knock you but my first band had 3 weeks before our first show to get our songs down and that still wasn't enough to be tight as a band, so unless you're all rock gods, getting put onto a show 3 days in advance when your band as a whole doesn't know the songs was a bad idea.

Also, am I the only person that thinks that bands should play as bands? My band's lead guitarist has stated numerous times that if one of the members like myself couldn't be there, we'd still play the show, and it just makes him come off as an asshole. I'd rather drop the show and play one where everyone could be there instead of just playing without members all the time.
We had about 3 weeks in advance. They just changed their mind and wanted to play something else last night. I thought they were practicing those songs, but in reality it was that time we actually had to review. A week before my band was booked, and I don't wanna have to stop a show that was already planned and booked. Going solo is my only choice right now. IMO highly unprofessional
Unread 05-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #41
fps
Kit

fps is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownofWorms View Post
We had about 3 weeks in advance. They just changed their mind and wanted to play something else last night. I thought they were practicing those songs, but in reality it was that time we actually had to review. A week before my band was booked, and I don't wanna have to stop a show that was already planned and booked. Going solo is my only choice right now. IMO highly unprofessional
Sounds like there's been poor communication within the band from all members in all aspects of preparation for this gig.
trianglebutt likes this.

Stream our AWESOME ROCK ALBUM Supervolcano ----------------> http://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/album/supervolcano
https://www.facebook.com/DeathApeDisco
fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #42
ss.org Regular

steve1 is just really nicesteve1 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
@CTID if the show is already booked and promoted then it's better for your bands reputation to play without a member than pulling out of the show last minute. Or find another band to take your slot. Promoters and venues remember flakey bands and you want to minimise any damage to your reputation.

booking a show that you know a member can't play is different, though if it's a good opportunity then maybe for the greater good of the band it might be worth it.
steve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #43
SS.org Regular

Who books a show before their band has even learned a song together? You're putting the horse before the cart, for sure.
Unread 05-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #44
SS.org Regular

If we had a chance I would of cancelled it. But we don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1 View Post
@CTID if the show is already booked and promoted then it's better for your bands reputation to play without a member than pulling out of the show last minute. Or find another band to take your slot. Promoters and venues remember flakey bands and you want to minimise any damage to your reputation.

booking a show that you know a member can't play is different, though if it's a good opportunity then maybe for the greater good of the band it might be worth it.
There isn't much of an opportunity than just playing our first show.
Unread 05-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #45
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
To me it sounds like you are being the supremest and acting like your taste in music is so much better than theirs. I think if you are looking to play the kind of music you want, you are going to have to find other people. I would much rather listen to chief keef than pantera, but that is just me. I understand the fact that you want to challenge them, and maybe play something that is a bit harder, and suits your tastes more, but there are actually some pretty difficult texas in july songs. For me it was all about having fun playing, it didn't really matter what I was playing as long as I was having fun. My band played metalcore, and I thought it was pretty fun (granted it was a bit more technical than most). I just think you should do whatever they want for the first show and try to have fun, and then look for other people who have more similar musical aspirations as you do.

My main setup:
Ibanez uv7bk green dot, Engl fireball 60, genz benz g flex 2x12.
poopyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #46
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyalligator View Post
To me it sounds like you are being the supremest and acting like your taste in music is so much better than theirs. I think if you are looking to play the kind of music you want, you are going to have to find other people. I would much rather listen to chief keef than pantera, but that is just me. I understand the fact that you want to challenge them, and maybe play something that is a bit harder, and suits your tastes more, but there are actually some pretty difficult texas in july songs. For me it was all about having fun playing, it didn't really matter what I was playing as long as I was having fun. My band played metalcore, and I thought it was pretty fun (granted it was a bit more technical than most). I just think you should do whatever they want for the first show and try to have fun, and then look for other people who have more similar musical aspirations as you do.
I recommended those songs and they all just turned it down. I tried my best to find something we would all enjoy and not be too difficult. Heres why songs cant be too hard
How do I regain my strength

If I didn't have to go to the hospital and still recover we would play TBDM and Mastodon, hell even Necrophagist and much more difficult songs than the shown songs(besides what is difficult in most of these peoples eyes)
Unread 05-28-2012, 07:22 PM   #47
Dr Djodson

xCaptainx is a name known to allxCaptainx is a name known to allxCaptainx is a name known to allxCaptainx is a name known to all
To give us all some context......how old are you?

btw with ALL my bands first shows; two practises a week for a minimum of 6 months. First sets usually of 6-7 originals.

3 weeks lead in, no practises, arguing about songs 3 days leading to it?
xCaptainx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #48
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCaptainx View Post
To give us all some context......how old are you
I dont wanna be specific. Me and my guitar player are still in Highschool( upper classmen though). And my drummer is a freshman in college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCaptainx View Post

btw with ALL my bands first shows; two practises a week for a minimum of 6 months. First sets usually of 6-7 originals.

3 weeks lead in, no practises, arguing about songs 3 days leading to it?
Thats a much better way of getting prepared.
Unread 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #49
Duh-Jent

CTID is a jewel in the rough
Three weeks is really not enough time to realy gel as a band and play a good, tight set.
CTID is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:09 AM   #50
SS.org Regular

Osiris will become famous soon enough
2:57 into that Texas in July video kicked major ass.
Osiris is offline   Reply With Quote