homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree241Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #126
Oaf Tobar

ROAR is just really niceROAR is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I like some of these bands that have been mentioned, Avenged Sevenfold, LoG.
And I don't think they sold out at all.
Bands don't really sell out, tastes are just different.

ROAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #127
Ibby Fanboy

Sephiroth952 is just really niceSephiroth952 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopyalligator View Post
So back in the day I was really into offspring. I loved the punk sound that they had. I heard a new song of theirs on the radio, and it went a little something like this-

Clearly they have changed their sound a lot lol.
That was...disturbing...

Axes:
S540OL(Stock F-series pick-ups they're just to good to change)
Rg5Ex1(B:Tone Zone, M:True Velvet, N:Liquifire)
Sephiroth952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #128
SS.org Regular

spawnofthesith is just really nicespawnofthesith is just really nice
I feel like that Offspring song must be some sort of trolling by the band...

I mean those ....ing lyrics and the whole sound of the song... cracks me up for sure, whether intentional or not
spawnofthesith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:52 PM   #129
bigeh

brutus627 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I feel "sold out" is a fairly loosely used term anyway but the examples i mentioned were IMO trying to sell more albums/gain a broader fan base(minus the herd would appeal to more people because it's easier to listen to...listen to solace then that album then picture which one people could follow or even tolerate lol more easily). Soilwork was a heavy screaming thrash band and now sings regularly/employ much more "melody" end result being easier to listen to. You are correct that I enjoyed the earlier music better myself but I do think that these bands have made an effort to sell more albums/tickets to shows. As much as some metal music is limited in he amount of fans or sales you can possibly accrue at the very tip top of that market, tweaking your music to be more "accessable" can ultimately make you more successful i.e. my definition of selling out...as wrong as it may be lol. I never really call people out on selling out Because at the end of the day making money putting out music is awesome I just thought in the spirit of the op I'd throw out when I thought selling out within my understanding of it had occurred

EC1000/RG7620GN/FM418
Jamup<--
brutus627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:58 PM   #130
Downpicker \m/

ASoC is a jewel in the rough
Not sure its selling out, but I hate the turn that Rise Against's music has taken

From

To

^I absolutely HATE this song

Check out my band
soundcloud.com/a-stream-of-consciousness
https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Str...96505327048017
or follow us @ASoCBand

"There you have it, Slender. Totally wasn't scared. But, it seems as if someone poured urine on my pants and shoved mashed potatoes down the back of my pants"
-Bane
ASoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 10:10 PM   #131
bigeh

brutus627 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Aaron Lewis went on record saying that after staind's first album the producers/executives of their record company were basically dictating what kind of music they were going to be putting out. They undoubtedly agreed to give up creative control at some point, if not selling out what do you call that? Serious question!!! like I said obviously making a large amount of money is sweet and I would do the same... but what term is used for those kind of decisions so the title of he thread can be changed accordingly! Obviously ion dissonance and staind are worlds apart btw and sometimes influences and sounds can change without money being involved but as reality tv watching humans we love controversial overtones haha your disappointment that the band you love isn't the same anymore is what can make you accuse them of selling out I believe...it's like your "getting them back" by accusing them of that.

EC1000/RG7620GN/FM418
Jamup<--
brutus627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 11:15 PM   #132
SS.org Regular

RevDrucifer is a jewel in the rough
One thing to put into perspective is-

Maybe some people love catchy music.

I certainly do. It's the *ONLY* reason I've kept listening to Mudvayne this whole time. I LOVE having a chorus pop up and it's stuck in my head so bad it's all I want to listen to, over and over and over until I'm sick of it.

This is why I LOVE All Hope Is Gone (Slipknot). It's got the heavy stuff you'd expect from them, but then these choruses come up and they're ....ing perfect. I love Sevendust so much BECAUSE they're so damn catchy. That's a band that's been TRYING to sell out to hit a bigger audience and the people just won't listen.

It's why I love Alice In Chains, Faith No More, Devin Townsend ("Kingdom"!!! "Supercrush", "Love?"). Fear Factory, Pantera, Linkin Park, Adele, Elton John, Zeppelin, I can go on and on and on....

I've found that after writing a few songs on my own, I've been able to focus in and that catchy factor after I've written a few. You learn how the song breaths and you find the spaces to fill in...

I'm a sucker for melody. I know damn well I'm not the only musician out there who loves shit that gets stuck in their heads. First time I heard "End Of Heartache"....holy ....ing shit, man.

We all have our own ideas of what "good songs" are. 15 years ago, for me, it was 10 minute Dream Theater songs. These days, it's anything I can remember after listening to it once or twice.
RevDrucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #133
ERG Ambassador

lucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASoC View Post
Not sure its selling out, but I hate the turn that Rise Against's music has taken

From

To

^I absolutely HATE this song
I actually prefer the ultra melodic Rise Against than the old one

Satellites, Savior, Help is on the Way... all of them have insanely good vocal melodies for my tastes! lol
Sikthness likes this.
lucasreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #134
ERG Ambassador

lucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutus627 View Post
Aaron Lewis went on record saying that after staind's first album the producers/executives of their record company were basically dictating what kind of music they were going to be putting out. They undoubtedly agreed to give up creative control at some point, if not selling out what do you call that? Serious question!!! like I said obviously making a large amount of money is sweet and I would do the same... but what term is used for those kind of decisions so the title of he thread can be changed accordingly! Obviously ion dissonance and staind are worlds apart btw and sometimes influences and sounds can change without money being involved but as reality tv watching humans we love controversial overtones haha your disappointment that the band you love isn't the same anymore is what can make you accuse them of selling out I believe...it's like your "getting them back" by accusing them of that.
But, fortunately, Staind grew back some balls and made a real good and heavy album with Staind (2011).
Blackhearted likes this.
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:33 AM   #135
ERG Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDrucifer View Post
One thing to put into perspective is-

Maybe some people love catchy music.

I certainly do. It's the *ONLY* reason I've kept listening to Mudvayne this whole time. I LOVE having a chorus pop up and it's stuck in my head so bad it's all I want to listen to, over and over and over until I'm sick of it.

This is why I LOVE All Hope Is Gone (Slipknot). It's got the heavy stuff you'd expect from them, but then these choruses come up and they're ....ing perfect. I love Sevendust so much BECAUSE they're so damn catchy. That's a band that's been TRYING to sell out to hit a bigger audience and the people just won't listen.

It's why I love Alice In Chains, Faith No More, Devin Townsend ("Kingdom"!!! "Supercrush", "Love?"). Fear Factory, Pantera, Linkin Park, Adele, Elton John, Zeppelin, I can go on and on and on....

I've found that after writing a few songs on my own, I've been able to focus in and that catchy factor after I've written a few. You learn how the song breaths and you find the spaces to fill in...

I'm a sucker for melody. I know damn well I'm not the only musician out there who loves shit that gets stuck in their heads. First time I heard "End Of Heartache"....holy ....ing shit, man.

We all have our own ideas of what "good songs" are. 15 years ago, for me, it was 10 minute Dream Theater songs. These days, it's anything I can remember after listening to it once or twice.
I agree with your comment almost entirely! I love some catchy melodies as well! I don't know why the metal community is so against melody. Older metal had a lot of melody and people didn't complain.
Unread 06-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #136
Downpicker \m/

ASoC is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasreis View Post
I actually prefer the ultra melodic Rise Against than the old one

Satellites, Savior, Help is on the Way... all of them have insanely good vocal melodies for my tastes! lol
Its not that I'm against melody, there are catchy songs in the older Rise Against catalogue, but I think that Appeal to Reason and Endgame are horrible albums.

I miss the raw sound that The Unraveling had, even Sufferer & the Witness had plenty of balls. The two most recent albums just don't carry enough weight for me

Check out my band
soundcloud.com/a-stream-of-consciousness
https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Str...96505327048017
or follow us @ASoCBand

"There you have it, Slender. Totally wasn't scared. But, it seems as if someone poured urine on my pants and shoved mashed potatoes down the back of my pants"
-Bane
ASoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 12:11 PM   #137
Fistful Of Zach

Styxmata will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
A Day To Remember.... never liked the music, now I really don't like the music. My brother is really into them so by default I hear some of the stuff, but jesus christ the new stuff sounds sooooooo 'generic' and pop-tarty.
Styxmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #138
Fistful Of Zach

Styxmata will become famous soon enough
Social Distortion FTW!
Styxmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #139
優れた

ArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud of
Quote:
I agree with your comment almost entirely! I love some catchy melodies as well! I don't know why the metal community is so against melody. Older metal had a lot of melody and people didn't complain.
This. Melody over brutality any day of the week. If you can't get me to sing along, I don't care how heavy you are.

See: Iron Maiden

"Excellent!"
ArtDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #140
ss.org Regular

bass7620bk is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But, fortunately, Staind grew back some balls and made a real good and heavy album with Staind (2011).
Staind has enough money now they can do pretty much whatever they want.
bass7620bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #141
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass7620bk View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if their contractual situation has shifted a lot since the mentioned days of label interference too.
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #142
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Despised icon sold out the boise venue once...........

Oh wait pointless thread about bands that have changed there sound and people or arguing the term.

Check out my band

Facebook.come/forsythiaofficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #143
angel sword guardian

M3CHK1LLA is a name known to allM3CHK1LLA is a name known to allM3CHK1LLA is a name known to allM3CHK1LLA is a name known to all
Quote:
didnt the singer quite and start a country band or something?

from texas or live here? check in ---> http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/off...ers-check.html

I always thought Cliff getting killed instead of Lars was like John Lennon getting killed instead of Yoko - MJS
M3CHK1LLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:02 PM   #144
Formerly Lern2Swim

Ben.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of lightBen.Last is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalwizard View Post
Despised icon sold out the boise venue once...........

Oh wait pointless thread about bands that have changed there sound and people or arguing the term.
And a thread being "pointless" determines... what exactly???
Ben.Last is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #145
SS.org Regular

CrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of light
ion dissonance changed their sound

I'm just getting into em and wanna see like a before and now
CrownofWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #146
SS.org Regular

Sikthness is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownofWorms View Post
ion dissonance changed their sound

I'm just getting into em and wanna see like a before and now
minus the heard is much less chaotic than any other release. a lot simpler. its not a radical departure but its definitely more straightforward deathcore than BII, Solace, and Cursed.
Sikthness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #147
ERG Ambassador

Quote:
True, still nice to see that they made a kick-ass record this time. Hopefully they'll keep up with this stuff.
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:09 PM   #148
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
This was an interesting read! I have to think on it and then I'll try to write a good response.

Sparrows: sparrows613.bandcamp.com

Safety's Off: safetysoff.bandcamp.com/
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:28 PM   #149
Call me Charlie :)

CloudAC is a jewel in the rough
I don't believe in the term selling out. I think of it more as the band evolving their sound, and if you don't like the direction it's going in, well then thats that really. Move on.

Many people accuse Linkin Park on 'selling out' but watching their studio diaries and tour diaries it clearly shows that they have enjoyed where they have come musically and are constantly evolving their sound. I really respect that. and there isn't a single Linkin Park album I dislike.
CloudAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2012, 01:41 PM   #150
SS.org Regular

wizbit81 is a jewel in the rough
Lost Prophets first album put them on the verge of greatness, then they followed up with a US sellout, then got worse. I could have seen them the other week, put the new album on to see what it was like and I actually turned it off after two tracks it was so bad. I didn't bother to go see them as well. This is from a band I used to think were AMAZING. I still love that first album, it's brilliant! Sad they just dumped the heavy and clever musical stuff for pop hooks and choruses.
wizbit81 is offline   Reply With Quote