homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By grey dog
  • 1 Post By ilyti
  • 1 Post By eaeolian
  • 2 Post By Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-20-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Kansas!

A recent topic on how we decided what music to buy in the pre-Internet days reminded me of one of the first bands I sought out.

I never thought of them as progressive rock, but they were clearly different from most bands on the radio.

Intrigued, I bought the album "Point of Know Return." I was blown away.

As someone to whom I introduced this album said about this next cut, "You mean this is just the introduction to the next song?" *laugh*

But again, how can you avoid an introduction like that when you're heading into a song about Albert Einstein?

Sadly, one of their songs has been ruined for me, as too many of my friends died too early on and I've both attended and played music at too many funerals. Everything slips away, and all your money won't another minute buy.

It's just as beautiful, but I can remember the list of the dead from those years every time I hear it. Still, not a bad painting for your memory to be attached to in my personal memory palace (c'mon, I know I'm not the only one who has one here, am I?).

The Kansas I loved moved on and broke up, but it defined a high water mark which few bands have managed to approach in the decades since.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in older music, I highly recommend the classic Kansas lineup, and especially the album "Point of Know Return."

----

BTW, I remember the license plates from the state of Kansas during the late '80s/early '90s, and loved that they appeared to be based on some of the band logos.

How rocking is that, that an apparent Kansas fan got that design through his superiors and got it approved? *laugh*

----

Anyone else a fan of the band from Topeka?

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-20-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

grey dog can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
carry on my wayward...i don't have kids.
ilyti and CannibalKiller like this.
grey dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
love kansas. leftoverture is a classic record imo. you can hear that Symphony X worships them pretty hard. there's a part in Rediscovery on V that sounds just like Song for America.
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
really digging the song paradox

Check out my band

Facebook.come/forsythiaofficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 03:38 AM   #5
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Not a real kansas fan, but I always had allot of respect for their talent and songwriting. Dust in the wind is very deservingly a classic rock hall of fame tune. (in my book anyway)
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 04:01 AM   #6
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
thread has inspired a kansas marathon as I get some work done on this sunday morning.

leftoverture, song for america and point of no return queued
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
Lazy Ryebread Viking

ilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to all
I have to admit not knowing a whole lot about Kansas, except a greatest hits CD, which I listen to regularly. I also have Audio Visions on vinyl, and it's pretty awesome. Until last year I made mix CDs for people as a "thanks for having me over!" And I almost always put a Kansas song on there.. it's prog, but it's accessible prog for the average person.
DLG likes this.
ilyti is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2012, 10:33 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

broj15 is just really nicebroj15 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Never could get into the band. There is obviously tons of talent but it always gave off this cheesy classic rock vibe that really turned me off. However I will say they have top notch album art.

"It's all jagged and jaded, but it suits us. We just fake it through."
broj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #10
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
One of the greatest bands of all time

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Sojourner

Splinterhead is a glorious beacon of lightSplinterhead is a glorious beacon of lightSplinterhead is a glorious beacon of light
I'm a bit of a fan. For me it holds a bit of a nostalgic connection because I remember hearing these great songs on the radio when I was a kid. I have a clear memory of being at my Dad's rock club when I was 9 years old on a sunday nite and hearing my future guitar teacher's band break into a spot on version of Carry On My Wayward Son. It blew my mind.
Splinterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

Hybrid_Child is headed in the right direction.
Kansas were great in the 70's but the turn their sound took in the 80's is horrible imo.

Anyway Masque is probably my favorite album. Steve Walsh's voice is just incredible.

Check out this live version of The Pinnacle. Pure gold.

Kansas- The Pėnnacle - YouTube
Hybrid_Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Fabrizi0 will become famous soon enough
I LOVE KANSAS!!
Fabrizi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #14
The Church of SEVEN
Super Moderator

eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.eaeolian is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Been a big fan since I was a kid. "Leftoverture" and "Point of Know Return" are essential road trip albums for me. Complexity, melody and passion in one musical package. It really pisses me off that a lot of people referred to them then (and now, even) as "corporate rock". Something like "Song for America" is about as far from corporate radio-friendly as you can get, IMO.
DLG likes this.

Division - American metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook, and Soundclick might eventually be updated, too.
eaeolian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #15
優れた

ArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud of
KANSAS! I had to give them the benefit of the caps lock. Great band, but they seem very under-appreciated nowadays. Oh well, I still consider most of their tunes real gems.

"Excellent!"
ArtDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #16
..to pay the beels

skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
Can we give it up for Triumph also?
skeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #17
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You mean, can you start an appreciation thread for Triumph, rather than hijack this one?

Sure!

*laugh*

I'm on a trip right now, and before I left I loaded the classic original Kansas albums onto my player... except for Leftoverture, which is inexplicably missing from the shelf.

I cut my musical teeth on Point of Know Return, and I could remember every lick off that thing when I was on the plane.
ArtDecade and SenorDingDong like this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote