homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

polarbeast666 can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy ITT my bands 5 song demo. Honest opinions?

So I recorded all of this for my band (Transcendency | Facebook) in fl studio, its crappy quality but I needed to make these so our vocalist could have something to make lyrics to ect. We're going into the studio fairly soon to acually record though.

Like many I'v become so ingrained in writing ect that its hard to take a step back and actually hear the actual music for what it is, so for anyone who wants to help with some feedback (ANY would be appreciated) heres the 5 songs, not all of which are totally done

soundcloud.com/polarbeast666
polarbeast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #2
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
I'm gonna be honest.

You can only listen to a breakdown for so long, and these 5 songs are mostly just one big breakdown.
I enjoyed "pre pod 4" the most, because it had some variety.

I took the time to listen because I know how much it sucks to record shitty demos for your band to jam to. I've done it myself

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

rjnix_0329 will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree with Murmel, Pre Prod 4 is the most enjoyable track on here. It has some variety, bursts of speed offset with breakdowns, nice flow and use of cymbals, etc.

With the others, I really liked and appreciated a lot of the rhythm and ideas you presented, and I'm a big fan of the lead/melodic guitar style. That being said, they do sound like pieces of a song, rather than the full thing. I think this is kind of common with progressive music, where people really shy away from anything that sounds like a verse or chorus in favor of making variations on a main theme.

Using a bit of a visual metaphor, I believe that all music (especially progressive music) should be coming from somewhere and headed somewhere. Some of these tracks sound more like being dropped in the middle and left to fend for yourself.

TL;DR: Musically, I like a lot of what I hear, but conceptually I feel like it needs more variation.
rjnix_0329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjnix_0329 View Post
I agree with Murmel, Pre Prod 4 is the most enjoyable track on here. It has some variety, bursts of speed offset with breakdowns, nice flow and use of cymbals, etc.

With the others, I really liked and appreciated a lot of the rhythm and ideas you presented, and I'm a big fan of the lead/melodic guitar style. That being said, they do sound like pieces of a song, rather than the full thing. I think this is kind of common with progressive music, where people really shy away from anything that sounds like a verse or chorus in favor of making variations on a main theme.

Using a bit of a visual metaphor, I believe that all music (especially progressive music) should be coming from somewhere and headed somewhere. Some of these tracks sound more like being dropped in the middle and left to fend for yourself.

TL;DR: Musically, I like a lot of what I hear, but conceptually I feel like it needs more variation.

Thanks a million dude, I need more stuff like this. Outside opinions are a huge help for sure. Most these songs dont have a good beginning or end yet so that might help the whole "parts of music" thing. But noted for sure, thankyou for the input
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
No like the floppy

Floppystrings is just really niceFloppystrings is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
listening to: "REAL PROD PROD 5" right now.

I like the guitar sound, but there is too much bass in the mix I think. I am listening on KRK monitors that are being EQed though (for general music listening).

Ok I just turned the EQ off, and there is still a lot of low end cloudyness.

I like the riffing though. PRE PROD 1 is awesome. You could make the reverb even more dominate.

The drums are a little loud, turn down the higher mids and make sure the guitar is dominating in that area (2k-4k) region. And drums sound too thick, the kick should be peaking at around 60, and it sounds really low like 30.

Don't get stuck in the endless blackhole of tweaking though! haha (like me)
Floppystrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
No like the floppy

Floppystrings is just really niceFloppystrings is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
On second thought just keep recording, the guitar parts sound fine to me.

If you are on a roll don't stop and tweak if you can do it later.

It has lots of groove and I like the tones.
Floppystrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floppystrings View Post
listening to: "REAL PROD PROD 5" right now.

I like the guitar sound, but there is too much bass in the mix I think. I am listening on KRK monitors that are being EQed though (for general music listening).

Ok I just turned the EQ off, and there is still a lot of low end cloudyness.

I like the riffing though. PRE PROD 1 is awesome. You could make the reverb even more dominate.

The drums are a little loud, turn down the higher mids and make sure the guitar is dominating in that area (2k-4k) region. And drums sound too thick, the kick should be peaking at around 60, and it sounds really low like 30.

Don't get stuck in the endless blackhole of tweaking though! haha (like me)
Yeah I'm still trying to figure out whats wrong with my mix, so I'll definately try what you said. All that was with podfarm but I'm just using impulses now so it is a bit better imo. And thankyou duder
Unread 05-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

buuuump
Unread 05-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #9
Mattress Associate

slumber_party is on a distinguished road
I love the melodic guitar on pre prod 4. Otherwise, good stuff! The drums seem a little overpowering, like the cymbals have too sharp of a hit. But otherwise, I enjoyed all of them.
slumber_party is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by slumber_party View Post
I love the melodic guitar on pre prod 4. Otherwise, good stuff! The drums seem a little overpowering, like the cymbals have too sharp of a hit. But otherwise, I enjoyed all of them.
Thanks dude!
Unread 05-13-2012, 04:26 AM   #11
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
You might want to double track your guitars...
Kurkkuviipale is offline   Reply With Quote