homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

Zaeyin will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Metal survey

I have enough data/responses now, thank you so much!
Zaeyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-05-2012, 05:42 PM   #2
look at each other..

Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Unknown Doodl3.2 is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
How old were you when you first got into heavy metal?

What drew you to heavy metal?

My dad

How old are you now?

What is your gender?

Male

What do you think there is an inherent value system in the metal community?

It's just like any other reference group; It has subcategories, complexities, and variety that makes it harder and harder to identify specific systems of values. That said, I think there used to be a certain "code", one that is less and less relevant, for lack of a better word, in so far as the metal crowd in general is concerned.

Why is metal important to you?

It's an aesthetic that's just engrained within my personality and my interests/hobbies.

Do you ever feel like you are looked down on by people who are not part of the metal community?

Not necessarily. I think many of the flack that is sent the way of metal heads is either self imposed or self maintained. But I come from a place/town/area/household that is generally open to alternative styles of music so I can't speak for everyone else; It's all in the individual's demeanour in my opinion. They may have an initial stereotypes/impression of you based on your appearance or various physical features, but there are other "minorities" who have it way worse. Being a metal head is not an absolute status in the eyes of the general population by comparison.

Has your personal taste in metal ever been attacked by other metal heads?

All the time

How do you deem someone an authentic metalhead?

There's no such thing; Paradoxically there are posers though don't quite know how to explain it XD

How do you deem a band an authentic metal band?

The attitude. The aesthetic.

Unknown Doodl3.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Do yourself a favor and use google survey!
flint757, RuffeDK and Augminished like this.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
not quite a shredder

VBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to allVBCheeseGrater is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

The heavy guitars, the in your face "realness"

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
male

What do you think there is an inherent value system in the metal community
Be true to thyself, Do nothing for the love of money (not that i agree)

It moves a part of my soul that no other music can. I like the brotherhood aspect of it.

Do you ever feel like you are looked down on by people who are not part of the metal community? Probably, but it's not something i concern myself with.

Hell yes, metalheads can be opinionated mother funkers.

They like metal music, no other requirement

How do you deem a band an authentic metal band? They play metal music. I think chugging away on a palm muted string at some point is a necessity.

Ibanez ARZ307, ICEMAN IC400, RG921F-BK
Frknstrt of Doom, MIM FSR Strat
POD HD Pro, Mesa 50/50, Recto 2x12,1x12,Theile
Randal Diavlo V30 1x12
VBCheeseGrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
Augminished Studio

Augminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of lightAugminished is a glorious beacon of light

Friends were into it and overall liked the sound.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
Male

There is something about metal players. I have noticed the seem to have more "fun". I have dealt with a ton of bands and they all seem to be stuck up or nervous but whenever I have a metal act come in there is a sense of brotherhood. (think that answered your question)

Its important because I love music. I just prefer metal. There is just something about it.

Do you ever feel like you are looked down on by people who are not part of the metal community?
Definitely. It is ridiculous the amount of people that see metal as this awful genre that is satanic, aggressive and simple. As we all know this is not true. For some metal yes, but don't group it in.

A bit when I was into more power metal stuff.

I don't really. If they are into metal then I see them as a metalhead. They don't have to sign an oath in blood.

Heavy. Thats it everything has to be heavy. Drums, guitars, bass etc. The two things I don't think about with a metal band is keys and vocals.

Check out my Facebook: Augminished-Studio

Last edited by Augminished; 05-05-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Fixed spacing
Augminished is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #6
Control The Sun

The Uncreator is just really niceThe Uncreator is just really nice

Guitar oriented music

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
Male

For the most part, we thrive on general equality, although we love to debate.

It is existence, it is life, it is oxygen. It is the vessel which allows me endless freedoms to create worlds, manipulate galaxies, and explore humanity

The ignorant ones do look down upon you, at least where I have grown up

Sure, that more to do with them being close minded more so than there affiliation with metal though.

You listen to metal frequently.

They play Metal. Good look defining metal though, Nightwish is metal just as Cannibal Corpse is metal, its the same family, our tree however is just absolutely massive.

[/QUOTE]

L A S C A I L L E 'S S H R O U D

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

YouTube

Facebook
The Uncreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Thanks!
You're welcome!

16-ish. Hard to really say, depending whether one counts "nu-metal". Around that age, a blend of nu-metal, Ozzy, Slayer, and Metallica. Then came college with access to broadband internet, napster, and the ability to chat about bands online and learn about the "underground".

The energy, propulsion, power, and as a guitar player it's exciting to hear the extremes to which the instrument can go. Also, it seemed "dangerous" in way, with my religious upbringing, to be completely honest.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
Male

For awhile, there seemed to be at least the ideal of one. When it was totally off the cultural map, there seemed to be a sense of community that now doesn't exist as much with the music becoming mainstream and ultra-factionalized. In my travels, I've probably met maybe two or three people "IRL" with tastes in metal similar to mine- it almost felt like being part of a secret society.

It's music I enjoy, first and foremost, and still for the reasons above. Music is important to me, therefore metal is important. The older I get, of course, my interests become more compartmentalized, so metal has kind of become a source of catharsis I can turn-to when I need it... not really a "way of life," though.

I think that the people I know generally respect me. I don't make my taste in music an obvious part of my identity, so it's not like, "oh, there's Eric, the metalhead- what a spazz!" Within the so-called "metal community," I run more fuzz pedals than noise gates in my rig, so I don't know what they think of me.

Of course. I have an internet connection.

If they say they like metal and actually listen to it, that seems to be enough.

If they play metal, then that's what they are, right? I know what's being gotten at. Restating what was referred to above, there was a time where metal was not mainstream (mainstream = not actively maligned or ridiculed), and I think some fans still hold onto that notion when they see certain subgenres breaking through and other bands hopping on that gravy train. Metal fans are very shrewd with the notion of authenticity in that regard, but I must be too old or too outside of the scene to waste my energy acting as arbiter. If I don't like something, I don't like it, and the stuff that seems to be reaching popularity really isn't my bag anyway, so my reason for dislike would be the music over anything else.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

Chromaticity will become famous soon enough

-It was strange for me. I got into Carcass and In Flames at 11 but got bored of those bands quickly (Not surprising since both bands are terrible) as I prefered Punk music at the time.
...and got right back into metal at 13 when I saw Judas Priest and Anthrax live for the first time. I never looked back since then.

-Everything about the music. Nothing else.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?

-Male

-I'm not too sure I perfectly get the question but I think there is a strong sense of community in the metal scene, especially here in Quebec between musicians in the death metal scene. Which is a good thing.

But besides that, I personally feel out of place among most metal fans that I know, somehow. Probably because I don't share most of their views towards a lot of things, and maybe also because most metalheads don't like picky elitist assholes like me. Can't blame them.

-It is one of my favorite musical genres to listen to. I am part of 8 metal bands and I love to play it.

-No.

- Multiple times, usually by people with horrendously shitty taste in metal with a few exceptions. Then again, I have contradictory tastes so I can't blame them.

Examples :

"WHAT?! You actually prefer cheesy 80's heavy metal over (*insert shitty deathcore band name here*). You must be out of your mind!"

"You prefer heavy metal over death metal? You must be joking, right?!"

The same thing applies to other genres of music. Most metalheads can't seem to accept the fact that I may think that some rap artists are more enjoyable than their favorite metal bands.

- I don't really pay attention to that kind of stuff.

- As long as the band plays anything but deathcore or metalcore. Many people like these genres, I personally don't. But these are not "authentic" metal genres in my opinion.
Chromaticity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:45 PM   #9
Hej

theperfectcell6 is a jewel in the rough

-Loved guitar and the musical technicalities metal brings along.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
-male

-We do what we want to do and enjoy it a ton although majority of people think metal and the metal community is all a joke.

-It gives me energy and fascinates me. Metal is always my first choice of music to go to, even though I have wide variety. Not a minute goes by where I am not humming some sweet metal tune out loud.

-All the time. As I mentioned earlier, most people see the whole thing as a joke. I hear all the time that metal is "not music" and is rubbish. We have all heard the cliche insults. I think people who are musically inclined can find something in metal to appreciate even if it is not their cup of tea, but for those who are into the mainstream stuff or other genres seem to write it off immediately. When I tell someone that metal is my favorite genre, they look at me like I am kidding. Doesn't bother me, it's just a shame.

-Definitely. I tend to be very narrow with my choice of metal. With so many acts today, I just become more and more picky about what I actually enjoy. We all see the death metal vs. deathcore, genre comparison crap. It really isn't necessary, but hey it is what people do. Why bother in caring, it really makes no difference. We like what we like.

-I want to say that things like this don't matter to me, but that would make me hypocritical. Most of us have that ego like "Oh, I started listening to metal 15 (or more) years ago." But hey if someone really gets into the scene or just the music, then so be it. As long as they aren't being a poser, it is nice to see the community expanding.

-This is where I get picky with the bands I listen to. It is so hard to find originality in metal (music in general) nowadays. If a band can offer even a smidgen of originality with their music, I give them credit for trying new things. I guess as long as the bands are doing their best to have fun and put out material that they and their fans will enjoy, that is what is important. After all, that is what music is all about. So I guess, any metal band has the potential to be authentic.
theperfectcell6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

broj15 is just really nicebroj15 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

about 13

it was unlike anything i had been subjected to before

How old are you now?

I'll be 21 in 3 months

What is your gender?

Male

I guess you could say that there are certain values and rules laid down by the father of the genre such as rejecting things that were commercial or mainstream, however I feel like those rules no longer apply and are kind of obsolete in the modern era, except for those who i guess you could call "the old guard", which may not necesarrilly be for the better

To me, metal is like nothing else in this world. I can walk up to a complete stranger at a metal show and be 100% comfortable starting a conversation with them because we're both there for the same reason: to listen to some good music. I guess you could say that the metal community kind of serves as a community/ family who don't really have a community or a family of thier own.

to an extent, yes. I live in the rural mid west and It seems like everyone who is either conservative, listens to county, or top 40 either considers you an "emo faggot" or a satanist. However for every person who feels that way there is at least one other person who can see past the piercings, black shirt with illegable script, and mesh gym shorts and see that I'm just a normal person who just so happens to have a very different taste in music.

Yes. All the time. I love all sub genres of metal (slam, groove, brutal death metal, tech death, thrash, etc... anything except djent. Unless it's Meshuggah) but i do have an affinity for deathcore, which i catch alot of shit for.

How do you deem someone an authentic metal head?

If they have a legitimate love for the music and the community and thier not just in it because it's the trendy thing to do then they're a real metal head.

how do you deem a band an authentic metal band?

If they play heavy metal then they're an authentic heavy metal band. Simple as that.

"It's all jagged and jaded, but it suits us. We just fake it through."
broj15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
Hipster Mustaine

Polythoral is a glorious beacon of lightPolythoral is a glorious beacon of lightPolythoral is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaeyin View Post
Hey everyone,

I am in an anthropology class in college and I am doing an ethnographic report on metal music. I would really love it if you could fill out this survey for me. You can either post your answers here or pm them to me.

Thanks!
Given 'heavy metal' means metal in general, around 15 I think. I then learned of this nifty band named Protest The Hero, which turned me onto BTBAM, Human Abstract, and such. I had listened to Metallica and stuff before that, but not in a way that would really count me as a huge fan, I just kinda listened to whatever I was shown back then.

Well, first band I really listened to was Protest The Hero as I said, and they were the first band I ever really focused on the instrumental work before I did the vocals/lyrics (which were a separate amazement at a later time.). From that point forward I sort of had a love for music with decent musicianship and at least slightly technical work, and metal is a good place to find those things.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
Male

Not sure what is meant here, sorry. I'm assuming your first language isn't English.

I wouldn't say metal is exactly important to me, moreso just music in general. Decent metal is no more important to me that decent hip hop or pop.

Not too much. I don't necessarily look like a metal cliche, so usually its a while before people learn I like metal, and by the time they do they've already learned that I'm mostly a normal person, not a violent satanist or something, haha.

Oh yes. No matter your taste as a metal fan, another fan will claim himself superior and go great lengths to try and argue/prove it, unfortunately.

I don't, really. Simple as that.

I really don't, again. I mean there are bands that are clearly closer to original metal and all, and I guess as such are 'truer' metal, but eh, in the end I don't care about such things.

My 60+ minute progressive metal(core?) solo album! -^
Polythoral is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews

Its energy and aggression

How old are you now?

What is your gender?

Male

i don't understand your question

Its something that I understand so well and like nothing else. It has taught me that even the most hideous things can be beautiful if you take the time to know it. Its an incredibly sincere form of art yet can be incredibly technical and physically demanding.

Never.

Yes.

Their knowledge of metal history, classic bands, and to a lesser extent knowledge of underground and obscure bands.

All about attitude. Metal should be serious and hateful. Lyrical content should be powerful and universal. No hair styling product should ever be used.
Thep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light

The energy and depth/complexity.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?

Male

I don't quite understand the question, I'll answer it if you clarify.

It's a fun, effective means of expression. I think of that as enough to be worth it.

Not really, save for a few authority figures who have expressed an prejudice. Most people just don't understand what I like about it but don't really concern themselves with it.

I like some metalcore, deathcore, nu-metal, and am a major fan of power metal if that tells you anything.

If they like metal, they are a metal head, unless they aren't.

They play metal.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #14
ss.org Regular

Zaeyin will become famous soon enough
Thanks so much for the responses! I really appreciate it.

I realized I made a typo on one of my questions, it is supposed to be:

Do you think there is an inherent value system in the metal community?

@Polythoral: English is my first language, I just posted without really reading it over. Sorry about that.
Zaeyin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
9-10

The extremity of it, the air of mystery and the culture of independence. The physical and mental dexterity and stamina necessary to perform it.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?

Male

Eh, somewhat. There seems to be an unwritten code of conduct.

It's as important to me as any other musical genre. By itself, it's important because it pushes boundaries.

Of course, but for it to happen because of my musical preferences is the exception rather than the norm.

Yes, definitely. I'm very open minded about music, whereas the average metalhead often takes on a rather elitist mindset.

Not really sure how to answer this, probably because I never cared about being deemed "Real" or "True"

See above answer.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 03:20 AM   #16
Ibanez whore

theo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to beholdtheo is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
roughly 14 - 15 give or take a year or so

The energy and power.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
male

Are you asking what heavy metal enthusiasts value? for me it's profficiency in the instrument you play as well as feel.

It changed my life, once I got into guitar my friendship group changed, I stopped hanging out with the dropkicks who thought stealing, wagging school and smoking at 14 years old was an awesome lifestyle and started hanging out with intellectuals and musicians.

without a doubt.

Yes

I find that this question implies I myself am a music snob, deciding who is kvlt and troo. To me there is no such thing as authenticity in musical tastes. People enjoy what they will regardless of my opinions.

Same as above.

EDIT! TWO THOUSAND POSTS!
theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #17
SS.org Regular

ascl is just really niceascl is just really nice
I signed up to answer this

12 - Metallica - Ride the Lightning - was my first metal tape (yeah showing my age). Given to me by my brother cause he didn't like it.

The speed, complexity and raw power.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
Male

Not entirely sure what you are asking here, but if you are asking if there is a particular moral or ethical structure within the community that is unique, then no, I don't. The metal community can certainly be friendly, and, as with any group of society there is a certain amount of camaraderie due simply to participating in the group. People are often surprised that the more extreme live events are actually very friendly and social, but I think that is basic ignorance. In my experience every group acts this way, the less socially acceptable or understood the group, the more it happens.

Metal per se isn't. Music is. I happen to like the complexity and power of metal, the trappings that go along with it are fun, but aren't different to any other genre. The sense of community was fun when I was young, but that is true of any social group.

Sure, people often look down upon other, less socially acceptable or common groups. It's not unique to metal.

Hah, sure, doesn't everyone know "that guy" who only listens to the most obscure bands and everything almost by definition that you have heard of is "main stream".

Someone who is in to the music because they like it, not just because they want to be liked. But really this is just about people actually choosing to listen to whatever they feel like, not what they feel they should, and, again, doesn't apply to just "metal". I can quite happily discuss music with pretty much anyone who has real knowledge and interest in music (regardless of style).

There is no good answer to this IMO. Genres and classification is a highly subjective and continually evolving thing, and I try not to get too caught up with it. Whether something is "authentic" is a further pointless step. Metal isn't a religion, or philosophy to me, it's music. I do have a bit of a pet peeve about "artists" who don't write their own music, but thankfully that is mostly restricted to pop... so, a band can call itself metal, I won't be upset about it, even if I don't like their music.
ascl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 07:27 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

WhiteWalls is a jewel in the rough

power, speed and complexity

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
male

Contrary to what one from the outside might think everyone in the metal community (at least where I live) is very friendly and passionate about what they do, and many of my best friends are band mates or musicians i've played with in the past

Because it's music I can relate to, it's complex, it's fun to play, fun to watch and fun to listen to.

No, in the past it happened a few times, but never by people I personally know or respect

Of course! There's a huge number of sub-genres that it's kind of inevitable. It's okay to like deathcore and hate symphonic folk metal, haha

One who believes in the local community and tries to push it further, I don't care for looks, I care for what people do to help others

That's not a good quality about a band in my opinion. Trying to stay true to all the metal cliches just to appear as "metal" as possible, both in music and looks, just prevents the band from progressing
WhiteWalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #19
Set up us the bomb

MF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himselfMF_Kitten is deemed true by Crom himself
12-13

The power, the emotional output of the artists, the feeling of "therapeutic" release of emotion it gave me, the interesting and intriguing sounds, the feeling of raw ballsyness.

How old are you now?
soon to be 24

What is your gender?
male, last i checked.

Not entirely sure what you were after with this, but if we talk about value in the metal community, i think there is a surprising (to most people) amount of comradery and sticking together within the metal community. There's a sense of doing the right thing, of being moral, of being truthful and honest, and of being who you are, and being "real". Like in any larger group of people, there will be bad people of course, but as a whole, there's a feeling of brotherhood within metal. acceptance of people being different.

It conveys the sense of largeness and power that i enjoy, and that i find in other parts of life. When you think about life itself, the universe and it's vastness, the expansiveness of our world, the injustice performed by people, the intense emotions we all feel, and our real place in nature, etc... There are few genres of music that can convey that. Metal does it really well, and can express everything from the small things in life, to the vastness of the expanding universe, to fantasy, to injustice and war. It does some of the things that makes classical music so great. It gets intense. it gets powerful. it doesn't hide the truth, it doesn't censor. To me it's an amazing way to express myself as a musician, because i can put out the feelings and emotions and sense of awe and wonder and anger and happiness that i feel, in a way that truly conveys how amazing and overwhelming these feelings are. I am a very emotional person, and Metal fits that perfectly.

I don't feel that I, as a person, are looked down on anymore. That was in junior high, and a little in high school. And that was mostly my silly goth appearance back then (an attempt to express myself, really). I do feel that Metal is still not an easily digestible type of music to most people though, and i can't just casually turn on some metal in any setting. It's either in the company of other metal lovers, or by myself. No in-betweens. My friends who don't listen to metal all like the stuff that i make though, because they "get" the music from knowing what i mean by it to begin with, and they don't think any worse of me for enjoying metal, they just don't get along with metal in general. It's usually because of the screaming vocals though.

Yes and no. They have disagreed with me back and forth, and because of the different trains of thought that exist in metal, some only listen to metal from a certain period, citing it as the only good metal, or the only true metal. And as with many other bands of different genres, there is always debate over which albums or periods from different bands were the best. But in general, i haven't been in a heated argument or anything like that because of my taste. it's been more like a discussion or exchange of opinions.

I don't really believe in "authenticity" that much. If someone likes metal, they like metal. Some are more dedicated to the culture of it, some are less. If you can play someone a song that is simply good music, and the genre is metal, and they like the song despite of the genre, then i would say that person can recognize good music without genre being a barrier. But again, there is no real barrier where you like or do not like metal. Some don't like or listen to enough metal to call themselves metalheads, in their own opinions, and that's really the whole thing. it's a personal thing. There are many metal bands that play music that many think isn't "real" or "true" metal, and so many don't think they have the right to call it that, or to call themselves metalheads, but i don't agree with that. "pop-metal" is still metal, whether you like it or not.

As above, i don't believe there is a real definition of "real" or "true" or "authentic" metal. Something can be said about understanding what metal is today, and something can be said about the intent put into it, but i don't think these are important. If a band enjoys metal, and "understands" it, and wishes to convey that, then that's really all there is to it. There are those who say they play heavy metal, when they really play some harder blues rock, but that's just a misundersanding of what metal is.

--------------------------------------
What will metal be doing in ten years? What ever Meshuggah will be doing in two.
-Anthony
MF_Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
SS.org Regular

ghostred7 is just really niceghostred7 is just really nice
~9/10

Parents listened to Country. Bro listened to Zeppelin. Sis listened to Moody Blues. None of it fit....Metal did.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
Male

What do you think there is an inherent value system in the metal community.
Yes

It keeps me content, almost like audible therapy.

Not since mid 80s

Yes

Be a fan of the music is ALL that makes a Metalhead IMO.

By playing Metal and ability to maintain energy within their fanbase and/or live crowd
ghostred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #21
DW3%

TheStockholmChainsaw is on a distinguished road

It's aggressive nature and dark tonality embodied the profound psychological and emotional damage sustained as a result of years of horrific childhood experiences, immediately "drawing me in" to the "serious" and angry thrust of the music. It mimiced, encouraged, and yet soothed my rage by becoming a cathartic outlet for it.

It was music that spoke to how I felt; it was the musical embodiment of life-changing/destroying experiences that have become integral as the centerpiece of both my degeneration and growth as a man.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
male

I believe the value of *any* system or organization is subjective, relative, and non-static.

To clarify, "metal" isn't inherently important to me-GOOD metal, which is entirely subjective-is important to me. It is aesthetically, emotionally, and intellectually stimulating and satisfying. It's goddamned fun.

If I am, I am both unaware and quite unconcerned. Given my mannerisms, appearance, and vocation, I doubt most people I interact with would have even the vaguest notion that I am a fan of quality metal music, let alone a dm guitarist of 23 years. But I spend no time thinking on such things.

It's been noted with disinterest. Again, I am unconcerned. I dance to the tunes that give me "the chill".

What a ridiculous sentiment, and entirely counter to the "code" that was once prevalent in metal-that the status quo, ANY status quo, be questioned and regarded with suspicioun and contempt as it is often used as a means of controling a group of people by convincing them to willfully surrender their own better judgment and free will. Yet again however, I do not dwell on these things at all.

If they possess a fiddle player.

Incremental change occurring beyond the viewers perception appears invisible--Big-D
TheStockholmChainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #22
Banned

NovaReaper is a jewel in the rough

-Heavily distorted guitars, which was a new and exciting sound to me, being used to the radio/classic rock my parents listened to.

How old are you now?
~20

What is your gender?
-Male

-I feel like even though there is such a wide spectrum of metal (from doom metal to black metal and everything in between) that all metal shares an inherent affirmation of obscurity and the unknown in it's own right.

-To me metal is an outright rejection of pop music, and thus represents musicians creating what they want to hear instead of trying to please millions of people, which to me seems like a much higher form of art.

-No

-Not so much, I can find bands to talk about with most metalheads.

-Somebody who listens to and understands heavy metal.

-No crying, no keyboards (few exceptions), no open string chugdowns.
NovaReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #23
Coffee Cups?

Location: A place with stuff and things and people. Just kidding. Pennsylvania doesn't have all that.
SkapocalypseNow is a jewel in the rough
13, maybe younger, but let's go with that.

Later on the aggression came into play a little bit, but initially, it was definitely the musicianship and speed.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?
Female

I feel like each variation of metal has their own respective guidelines, but no over-arching value system.

It's an aspect of my musical taste that allows for equal parts appreciation and expression, in both listening and performance. For example, I don't play metal guitar often enough to say it's something that I do consistently, but I can admire the work that goes into it, not only when I listen, but when I'm working with someone who plays metal well. At the same time, I'd consider myself a metal vocalist, which is an effective outlet in it's own right, for anything I please. Metal just happens to be good for anger, but really, it can be anything.

Well, no, because when it comes up, it becomes clear rather quickly that I'm not exclusive to the metal community.

I wouldn't say that no, but I've probably been looked down upon by other metalheads for the rest of my taste in music

If they listen to metal, and appreciate it for what it is. Although I can't say I like the label myself, because it comes across as exclusive, and the stereotypical metalhead that's been formed by society comes to mind.

This feels like a no brainer, but a metal band has to play metal, with primarily metal instrumentation. Metal, within certain confines, can be damn near anything, influenced and tweaked by just as much, but it's normally stylistically distinct. Look at it this way: you can have the "metal" attitude all day, but if you're sitting there playing polka, you missed the train.

▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀

Do you see some of those big imposing Securitrons with their lovely laser guns and rocket launchers and scary faces? I am not one of those.

(That's a link, by the way.)
SkapocalypseNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #24
ERG Ambassador

lucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to alllucasreis is a name known to all
Cool, I'll gladly respond to it (and also read every member's answer!! hehe)

I was 7 years old, very influenced by my mother, who always listened to Sabbath, Zeppelin, Queen, among others.

I always liked the way the electric guitar sounds, the distortion, and metal just took everything to the next level. It's the best way to experience a good guitar-bass-drums combo. It means so much more to me than Punk Rock, which sounds too flat.

How old are you now?

28 years old

What is your gender?

Male

I guess that, to be metal, it has to belong to a certain attitude and ethos. Power Metal is way different than Djent or Thrash Metal, for example, but whenever a person listens to it, it's easily identifiable as metal. Because of certain characteristics of the way it sounds.

It means everything to me. I can't explain, it's like therapy for my ears and my brain. The way metal sounds, it helps me to get things off my chest, to give me courage, strenght, it makes me happy... I don't know how to explain, but it's kind of like a drug addiction to me, and one I never want to quit. I just feel like I need to listen to it every single day... if I'm sad, it makes me happy, if I'm happy, it makes me even more happy. It's just joy in form of music, to me. Also, it made a better person, in terms of learning new cultures. English is not my first language, but nowadays I work as a translator (English, Spanish, Portuguese) and metal was key for me to learn this language, which I love even more than my mother tongue (Portuguese). I love the way English sounds, and a large part of it is because of metal.

Yes, absolutely, almost always. People are quick to judge, and even more so because I don't really look like a metal fan in the eyes of people who stereotype it. They always come off as surprised when I say what I'm into... and it used to bug me, but now I think it's funny (looks are deceptive, people should just deal with it).

Yeah, several times. That's the part I don't like about the metal community. Too many purists who are not open minded. I would say that a good 95% of what I listen to is rock/metal oriented, but I was attacked for liking stuff that is outside of the metal realm, as well for liking more "commercial" rock and metal acts and I honestly think it's bullshit, because I don't like to attack anyone. Outside of that, it's all good.

A person who does not care about what people think and who follows metal, who really likes the style, and everything that is associated with it. I mean... I'm not a metalhead in terms of the way I look, but the attitude is inside of me, so I think that a real metal fan doesn't really care if he/she has the looks, a real metal fan is about the music, about the feeling, about going to concerts and experiencing it to the fullest.

A band that is heavy, of course, and who isn't afraid to take risks, even if it means pissing off their fans and the metal community. Metal is attitude, metal is not just style, I guess being metal is not conforming to what is common, it's not conforming to guidelines, is always trying to achieve something different, that's it.
lucasreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2012, 12:33 PM   #25
\m/^_^\m/

AliceLG is just really niceAliceLG is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

A friend from high school was really into Metallica, and another into KoRn and the Nu Metal wave of the late 90s, so I picked it up.

How old are you now?

What is your gender?

Male

I consider metalheads to be more balanced and less prone to wake up one day and just kill everyone in the office In all seriousness, I really think we are more tolerant and open-minded, and also, in my experience, more respectful of others' opinions and beliefs. It might stem from being used to hearing things like "How can you listen to that shit?" and "Do you believe in God?" pretty much on a daily basis. I think metal has really shaped my ability to appreciate and enjoy music in general, and also respect others' opinions and tastes.

The music moves me in a way that all other styles of contemporary music don't. Sometimes it's an adrenaline rush, sometimes it's just awe. Like I said before, it's made me appreciate music more.

Sometimes, not so much anymore but 5-10 years ago it was more so. I think it's necessary to say that I grew up and used to live in a country were sadly rock and metal are constantly frowned upon.

Yes, of course, that comes with the territory. I don't see it as a bad thing, it's just part of the diversity of genres and opinions. As long as no one gets stabbed because "my kind of metal is better than yours", we're all good.

I go straight to the music, if your music collection is more than half metal you're a metalhead in my book. Going to gigs, concerts and festivals would also be a requirement. I've always said if metal were a religion, a pilgrimage to Wacken would be an obligation

That's a harder one. I'd say as long as one can see that they enjoy what they're doing as a band and are passionate about it, they're authentic.

Metal is the air I breathe

For poorly recorded melo/black/power/thrash metal click here

AliceLG is offline   Reply With Quote