homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 05-02-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

Hybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you like when bands post "funny" videos?

I like when they do. I try to do some with my band but I don't know if they actually do us any good. When you first check out a band and their video isn't purely music, does it hurt or help their first impression on you? Is it good marketing? Periphery usually has humor in their videos and I think it makes their videos even better.

Here are some of my band's. Remember that I put funny in quotation marks!!!

Bacchanalian Bliss (My Ska band):
http://www.facebook.com/blisstx (Facebook)

http://www.sonicbids.com/epk/epk.aspx?epk_id=223821
(SonicBids)

Hybrid138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 05-02-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
ss.org Regular

marked is a jewel in the rough
haha love your videos man, you guys seem heaps of fun

I love it when bands make funny videos, takes the serious side off it, gets you to know them a bit better, i make some funny videos for my band, incl try and make studio updates funny

Heres one that my band Revelations made at our vocalists aunts 60th party:

PS i totally owned that pit...
Hybrid138 likes this.
marked is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Hybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of lightHybrid138 is a glorious beacon of light
LOL that was awesome! Funny and you get to hear the what your band sounds like. I like it better than "hey check out our band we're awesome" and music plays with black screen. It's a fun way to show your bands personality and get your band heard.

(SonicBids)

Unread 05-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #4
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid138 View Post
LOL that was awesome! Funny and you get to hear the what your band sounds like. I like it better than "hey check out our band we're awesome" and music plays with black screen. It's a fun way to show your bands personality and get your band heard.
oh no that's not our song :\ would hav ebeen a good idea to use our song, Y I NO THINK

maybe next time
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

haha either way it got me to check out one of your live videos. I saw the one where your bassist had that checkered bass!

(SonicBids)

Unread 05-02-2012, 11:31 PM   #6
ss.org Regular

oh no ! dont watch them, they are old
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:33 PM   #7
Master of Chihuahuas

Tang is a jewel in the rough
I think Devin Townsend does a good bit of humourous videos. he's a funny dude.

Blood Ghost and Slunk Dragon like this.
Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #8

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Honestly, I think they are annoying or can be at times unless they are really, really funny.

Like once in a while it doesn't bother me, but if it's one like everytime, it gets old.

It really just depends on the video and I actually think that sometimes it can hurt a first impression.
But that's just me, when I watch a video about a band, I usually want the video to be serious.
I love jokes and what not, but I can't stand always having a comedy fest from bands.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

Deathspell Omega is new.
But funny videos c a n be just as overdone and pretentious as serious ones. For example I have yet to see a lot of studio diaries which are not full of childish jokes and too much irrelevant information by the bands not related to music. That`s really comical then, unintentionally of course . On the other side there are definitely exceptions to the rule though and humorous bands not trying too hard.
highlordmugfug likes this.
Deathspell Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2012, 11:47 PM   #10
themuthaphukkindeath

highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/highlordmugfug is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
ITT:

oh no!
highlordmugfug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
SS.org Regular

For those of you that don't like "funny" videos, is there a balance that you guys would prefer? That way they band could still be "funny' but demonstrate the music properly. It sounds more like the problem is when bands try to have a "comedy fest" which I understand. It should be music before comedy, because that's what we do. I think as long as the "funny" parts aren't forced it's ok. It shows the bands personality, and I believe (want to believe) it helps some people connect with the band.

(SonicBids)

Unread 05-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #12
Norwegian metalhead

Seventary is a jewel in the rough

This one's pretty funny. . .

Check out my band: www.profaniametal.net
Seventary is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #13
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
After The Burial's videos are, for the most part, pretty funny.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #14

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Yeah After the Burial isn't too bad, because they have a good amount of musicality in their videos. Plus I thought the baby producer was pretty funny. XD
Razzy likes this.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:21 AM   #15
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠

Into Obsidian is just really niceInto Obsidian is just really nice

follow the rest on Youtube.
ilyti likes this.

Support Maine Music

"You wouldn't know death metal culture if it hired a priest to rape you and your family" - Unknown
Into Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #16
ಠ_ಠ

Marv Attaxx is a name known to allMarv Attaxx is a name known to allMarv Attaxx is a name known to allMarv Attaxx is a name known to all

aaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Marv Attaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Attaxx View Post

aaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
That is the greatest thing I've ever seen.
Variant likes this.

ESP M-II -> Randall Diavlo 100 -> Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and 2x12.
Razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

JoeyBTL is a jewel in the rough
One of the things I hate the most is when bands post "studio updates" that contain 90% of the band dicking around and doing stuff only they think is funny and 10% of actual studio stuff. I wanna see the music!

I like Peripherys studio updates because they contain plenty of playing and a good bit of stuff that is funny in general. Same with After the Burial's.
JoeyBTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
Honestly, I think they are annoying or can be at times unless they are really, really funny.

Like once in a while it doesn't bother me, but if it's one like everytime, it gets old.

It really just depends on the video and I actually think that sometimes it can hurt a first impression.
But that's just me, when I watch a video about a band, I usually want the video to be serious.
I love jokes and what not, but I can't stand always having a comedy fest from bands.
Basically... It's one thing if they just happen to be funny ppl. But if it looks like you're trying too hard to get a laugh I lose interest.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #20
Is a Pastafarian

sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.sakeido harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
some are funny. Devin Townsend has some great ones, where he is dancing around looking like Beaker and I thought "hey he looks like Beaker"... then suddenly it just cuts to a clip of Beaker from the Muppets. ATB Baby Producer was pretty good.

bands like Periphery do studio diaries then just use stupid memetic humor, smash cuts or shit that just outright doesn't make sense to save themselves the trouble of actually being funny "FUS RO DAH" hurr hurr hurr

in the end the better approach, imo - make your studio diaries simple and awesome. the few vids Gojira did for L'Enfant Sauvage were way, way too good. and you can't just be funny.. you are a band after all. take your music and make it funny, like Protest the Hero does with their videos. like the one where they are gokarting and running around playing their guitars
Hybrid138 likes this.

"Ah, she's built like a steakhouse but she handles like a bistro" - ZB
Soundcloud - New clip April 19
sakeido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #21
Leda Fanboy #2

BornToLooze is just really niceBornToLooze is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
I always thought these were funny

BornToLooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:49 PM   #22
ss.org Regular

Chromaticity will become famous soon enough
Most of those "funny" videos are unfunny, so no.
Chromaticity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #23
Resident Studio Nerd

KingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of lightKingAenarion is a glorious beacon of light
Under the following conditions:

1) The humour isn't COMPLETELY crass. Some swear words, some rudeness is ok... but if it's all there is it's lame.

2) The humour isn't just the band being idiots. Every band mucks around, particularly in the studio, nothing new... and it's usually only funny for the people involved.

3) The humour isn't in jokes. In jokes are the worst if you're watching something for the first time.

4) There is still music in the video.

My band - Ex Curia - Prog metal in an Opeth meets Machine Head kind of way
KingAenarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
Control The Sun

The Uncreator is just really niceThe Uncreator is just really nice
Periphery have the worst videos, a minute long and rarely have anything memorable in them. I like Periphery a lot, but they couldnt make a decent studio update to save their life.
BIG ND SWEATY likes this.

L A S C A I L L E 'S S H R O U D

Progressive Cosmic Death Metal

YouTube

Facebook
The Uncreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #25
Army Without A Flag

All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.All_Ľour_Bass is shredding to new heights.
Yes.

No Nation. No Philosophy. No Ideology.
All_Ľour_Bass is online now   Reply With Quote