homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

broj15 is just really nicebroj15 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Record Store Day 2012 Thread!

Not sure how many of you guys on here are as excited about this as me, but as a vinyl collecter, overall music enthusiast, and assistant manager at an independent record store I must say I can't hardly wait for this saturday (National Independent Record Store Day).
For the uninitiated RSD is an internationally celebrated day observed on the third saturday of April and is celebrated by over 700 record stores in the USA and over 100 stores internationally. Record Store Day was established in 2007 with the first Black Friday RSD celebrated in 2010.
Every year there are tons of highly collectable and very limited releases from artists of almost every genre imaginable.
Now that the little history lesson is over it's time to get down to business. What do any of my fellow audiophiles and wax enthusiasts have thier eyes on this year? It feels like every year there are more and more releases and it's alot to keep track of

Here are a few of the pieces i know i'll be picking up come Saturday.

Mastadon/ Flaming Lips split 7" on pink vinyl. Not sure what this one is limited to.
The Breakfast Club Soundtrack on white vinyl. Limited to 2500 copies world wide.
Odd Future - OF tape 2. First and last time this will be available on vinyl.
The Misfits - Walk Among Us 30th anniversary re-press on colored vinyl.

So, everyone, feel free to discuss what you have your eye on and feel free to post whatever pics you have of past RSD purchases. After saturday i'll post some pics of this years haul.

Also, I felt it was okay to post about this outside of the CD Haul thread, as the vast majority of RSD releases are on vinyl and they ae just so cool they deserve thier own thread

"It's all jagged and jaded, but it suits us. We just fake it through."
broj15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-17-2012, 02:23 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

Here are a few of my past RSD purchases. Hope you guys enjoy:

Neil Young - Heart Of Gold B sided w/ Sugar Mountain 7"

Iron & Wine - Walking Far From Home B sided w/ Summer In Savana and Biting Your Tail 12" single. This is the only way Summer in Savana and Biting your Tail has ever been released and the mix of the A side is phenominal and way better than the album mix.

GlassJAw - Worship and Tribute. First time this was ever pressed on vinyl and IIRC limited to 2400 copies

Ramones - Mania. Green and blue split colored 180 gram double LP and limited to 1500 copies

Ramones Havana Affair B sided w/ Red Hot Chili Peppers cover of Havana Affair. IIRC limited to 1200 copies.

Iron & Wine interview and live set from KCRW's "Morning Becomes Eclectic" radio program packaged elegantly in a plain white sleeve.

Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik on red colored 180 gram double LP. Limited and numbered to 2500. I have # 1316/2500

Flaming Lips, Star Death and White Dwarfs, Henry Rollins, and Peaches covering Pink Floyd's Dark Side of The Moon on sea foam green 180 gram vinyl. There was a huge mix up in the release of this record. They only advertised the sea foam green records as being limited to 2800 copies. Some people opened thier copies to find it on clear w/ black flake vinyl. Warner said that thier were originally supposed to be 3600 on seafoam green and 2800 on clear with black flake. The company contracted to press the record ....ed up some of the mix resulting in "hybrid" records (such as mine) like sea foam w/ black flake or clear w/ blake flake swirled with the sea foam green. The "imperfection" on mine is hardly noticable, but there is a considerably darker 1/4" wide line with several black flakes that extends from the center of the record to about the 3rd track.

This isn't a record store day release but it is my most prized record in my entire collection. It's a frist pressing of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's record "F#, A# infinity". it still boggles my mind as to how a record released in 1997 and sold at the bands shows in Canada managed to make it's way down to souther indiana lol

Also, apologies for the less than stellar cell phone pics.

Unread 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

warhead is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wish there is something simmilar in my shitty little country.....vinyl is hard to get over here and usually the prices are steep
warhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Sadly, the only store here that "participates" in RSD doesnt actually sell the stuff they get. They get it and sell it online the next day because they make more money that way. I reported them to the RSD officials and didnt hear shit from them. I am looking at getting a few though. I really want to get the receiving end of sirens, glassjaw, and Odd Future records.

My main setup:
Ibanez uv7bk green dot, Engl fireball 60, genz benz g flex 2x12.
poopyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
The One Who Knocks

Ralyks is just really niceRalyks is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
My yearly reminder that I really need to get around to buying a record player...
Ralyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
Reggie J Worthington

Sicarius is just really niceSicarius is just really nice
http://www.recordstoreday.com/SpecialReleases

Those are all the "special Releases" specifically for RSD.

I get paid Friday, and get to finally go to the Vinyl shop an old friend told me about.

I'll probably get a couple records, but I have a few too many as it is, with no Record player.
probably getting the Childish Gambino, and maybe The Black Keys records.

if it's cheap enough, maybe the Empire Records one, too

Through victory, my chains are broken.

Sicarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
SS.org Regular

I was really tempted to buy the empire records release as well but I feel like I've already spent too much money. I'm surprised that store selling shit online didn't get in trouble. They take the RSD stuff really seriously.

Unread 04-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

Ibanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of lightIbanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of lightIbanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of light
scored both Mastodon 7" records and the Miles Davis limited release (this one is never leaving the packaging). Thought about grabbing the Dio picture record (still kicking myself for grabbing it). but other than that i picked up some other records and cds i was looking to buy anyways

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-Wr...22806487780403 <--- photo page, click it, and maybe like????
The horror that was that video made my bowels explode in an inhuman fashion that scared me, my dog, and the bird in the tree outside my room window-Insackclothandashes
Ibanezsam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Count Blastula

FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.FrancescoFiligoi is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
I'm a proud vinyl collector, this is rather cool, thank you!
FrancescoFiligoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Ibanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of lightIbanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of lightIbanezsam4 is a glorious beacon of light
i was pumped to get the childish gambino one... but then i realized it was only the song Heartbeat remixed.. pass

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sam-Wr...22806487780403 <--- photo page, click it, and maybe like????
The horror that was that video made my bowels explode in an inhuman fashion that scared me, my dog, and the bird in the tree outside my room window-Insackclothandashes
Ibanezsam4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Reggie J Worthington

Yeah, I was pumped to see it listed, and then I saw the cover art.

I'm going to try and go after lunch today.

Unread 04-21-2012, 11:21 AM   #12
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
After a few stops, tracked-down the super-limited Steve Wilson 12". My wife picked-up the Garbage and Florence + The Machine. We also had to get the White Stripes because of the pictures of Meg White- oh, what was she thinking?

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #13
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
I bought "Resolution" by Lamb of God on CD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
Reggie J Worthington

I saw that Steve Wilson on the List. I'll have to see if it's there.

If the Townshend thing ends up being too much, I may get a special edition of Devin Townsend's Accelerated Evolution, if they'll work on the price, because $24 is a bit much for a digipack that only adds 3 songs.

Unread 04-21-2012, 02:32 PM   #15
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all

A pic of the modest, yet righteous, haul. It's hard to see in the photo, but the White Stripes disc is translucent red with a diffuse, black marbling- looks really neat. Newbury Comics (2 of which I went to) were giving out loads of CD samplers. I also patronized the local comic book store that participated- they were very helpful and had an employee asking people waiting in line if they were looking for something in particular that could be set aside for them, which was really cool.

I've really gotta know- was any store really planning on selling a ton of copies of Jimmy Fallon's Tim Tebow parody song? Each store had a sizable pile of them.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Unread 04-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #16
Reggie J Worthington

missed out on the Townshend album.

however, I countered sadness with a $3 purchase of The Who's Quadrophenia, and $15 The Clash London Calling (not a repress)

fun fun drive.

Unread 04-21-2012, 10:47 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

CrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of light
Missed it again. All I know is that it's the day all the Hipsters make the record store look empty(except the Metal section). But I'll see if there is some nice gem like a vinyl of Portal or Origin next time I go to a record store([probably Monday)
CrownofWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

Well I haven't gotten all my stuff in yet. I'm still waiting on the fiestadon as we ran out of copies so i am having one of the other stores my boss owns send me a copy. I'm also picking up the Flaming lips and heady fwends on Friday after I get paid since I didn't get paid ad much as usual this week. My stores hottest sellers was the white stripes single, the philharmonic releases (we were able to score two of the Pollock edition DS and 2 deluxe), and the buck Owens coloring book + flexible disc. I was gonna buy the buck Owens if they were still left at the end of the day but we sold all the copies we got pretty quick.

Unread 04-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

MartinMTL will become famous soon enough
I was on a very tight budget. I found two vinyls $5 each. One Duke Ellignton and one Dizzy Gillespie. At the moment I don't even remeber what they were called, but the Dizzy Gillespie was some weird stuff. I don't really like it. I kind of like buying vinyls that I don't know about. Makes it a bit more exciting when you listen for the first time. And at least I supported a good cause.

I'm hoping the duke ellington vinyl will be more jazzy though.
MartinMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #20
Intrepid Jackass

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownofWorms View Post
Missed it again. All I know is that it's the day all the Hipsters make the record store look empty(except the Metal section). But I'll see if there is some nice gem like a vinyl of Portal or Origin next time I go to a record store([probably Monday)
I didn't see many hipsters in my travels... unless the Hipster Council decided that bathing, eating vegetables and exercising, and acknowledging personal space are all for squares. If so, then I'm wrong.