homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By SenorDingDong
  • 1 Post By 2ManyShoes
  • 2 Post By ghostred7

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-10-2012, 11:03 PM   #1
Lazy Ryebread Viking

ilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Jethro Tull - Thick as a Brick 2

So, this just came out and I am loving it!!

Thick As a Brick 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Along with the album, they've made a website to promote it, in the style of the original fake newspaper album cover.

www.stcleve.com - Parish Newspaper for St. Cleve, Linwell, and Little Cruddock (formerly St. Cleve Chronicle)

I love Ian Anderson.. if only this tour came anywhere near me. Yeah, he's touring and playing both albums.
ilyti is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-10-2012, 11:44 PM   #2
Theory God

Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.Mr. Big Noodles is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Does this strike anyone else as ironic? Thick As A Brick is publicly regarded as a criticism on pretense in music. This was back in the 70's, when everybody and their mom was writing songs with titles like "The Ascension of the Necromancer". Now, here we are, 40 years later (when very few people are making this sort of music, and those that do live in obscurity), and Ian Anderson comes back with... this sort of music. Oh, how times have changed.

Skype theory lessons. PM me.
Mr. Big Noodles is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Such a great ....ing band, and I love Ian; definitely going to pick this up soon
ghostred7 likes this.

No signature because censored blah blah blah.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #4
Frets? What frets?

Varcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchecterWhore View Post
Does this strike anyone else as ironic? Thick As A Brick is publicly regarded as a criticism on pretense in music. This was back in the 70's, when everybody and their mom was writing songs with titles like "The Ascension of the Necromancer". Now, here we are, 40 years later (when very few people are making this sort of music, and those that do live in obscurity), and Ian Anderson comes back with... this sort of music. Oh, how times have changed.
I dunno, Rush and Dream Theater still do sell-out arena tours, Roger Waters makes obscene amounts of money playing an entire concept album live with an army of session musicians, and somehow, despite being completely unable to write a lyric that's even halfway good, Arjen Anthony Lucassen still makes a living. Pretention isn't dead, it's just less visible. I get what you mean though, the point of Thick As A Brick is sort of missing today. However, Jethro Tull, despite not wanting to be prog, always got lumbered with that description. Maybe after four decades Ian Anderson's finally just said "Screw it, I'm prog. Have another concept album."

Concept or not, Thick As A Brick had some great moments on it. Hopefully this'll deliver.

SchecterWhore: "Development, phase four. Beethoven
takes you for a ride through space in his Pontiac Trans Am."
Varcolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
10th Degree GearSlut

2ManyShoes is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
The original is one of my all-time favorites. I don't think Ian Anderson gets enough credit for being an amazing acoustic guitar player.

I haven't been too wild about his last several records, though, and his voice has faded quite a bit. How does the new record hold up in those regards?
ghostred7 likes this.
2ManyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
What's a Panini?

eventhetrees is just really niceeventhetrees is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I received this album in at work. I had to take a couple glances at it cause I was finding it hard to believe they made a part two after so many years!

If you have a minute please check out my most recent EP - TANUKI here:

http://www.eventhetrees.bandcamp.com

Any form of support is welcomed and appreciated

eventhetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

ghostred7 is just really niceghostred7 is just really nice
In 92-94 when I was a broadcaster on the air in OBX (Rock 102.5 FM), I used to get blazed and play Thick as a Brick in it's ENTIRETY on the air b/c they screwed up and gave me a psychadelic show ("Trippin' w/ Izzie") and I used to play stuff like that all the time. My audience LOVED hearing the full version of TAAB.
ghostred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #8
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varcolac View Post
I dunno, Rush and Dream Theater still do sell-out arena tours, Roger Waters makes obscene amounts of money playing an entire concept album live with an army of session musicians, and somehow, despite being completely unable to write a lyric that's even halfway good, Arjen Anthony Lucassen still makes a living. Pretention isn't dead, it's just less visible. I get what you mean though, the point of Thick As A Brick is sort of missing today. However, Jethro Tull, despite not wanting to be prog, always got lumbered with that description. Maybe after four decades Ian Anderson's finally just said "Screw it, I'm prog. Have another concept album."

Concept or not, Thick As A Brick had some great moments on it. Hopefully this'll deliver.
there's also this little band called the mars volta that's pretty popular too.
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
優れた

ArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud ofArtDecade has much to be proud of
Is this a Tull album or an Anderson solo venture? I was under the impression that it was just Ian. Also, the original album was well received when it came out by both Rolling Stone and NME.

"Excellent!"
ArtDecade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
Lazy Ryebread Viking

ilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to allilyti is a name known to all
Yeah I made a mistake in the thread title. It's officially and Ian Anderson release, but the CD case said "Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson - TAAB2". So I guess I was a bit confused. But really, I see no difference whether it's called Jethro Tull or Ian Anderson.

I've listened to the record and the guy CAN still sing. Not like in the 70s, sure, but he gets the job done.

Thing is, even if TAAB was criticised back when it came out... that was because it sold tons of copies and was #1 on the Billboard charts. People who liked it "got it", people who didn't like it were the tongue-wagging critics. There was a wide enough audience that there was plenty of room for negative reactions.
ilyti is offline   Reply With Quote