homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #26

sevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 24 reviews
Looks like someone's mother was killed and his dog raped.

sevenstringj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-28-2012, 03:16 PM   #27
Bastard of Thousands

ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenstringj View Post
Looks like someone's mother was killed and his dog raped.

http://www.timbeaux.com/wp-content/uploads/waving.gif
ridner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #28
Уродливый, но честны

JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I've always dug Dying Fetus pretty hard, but I will forever believe that the greatest thing Dying Fetus ever did was Misery Index I've yet to find a death metal album with more raw aggression than Retaliate. Classic.

This great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves

moments before the wind
JeffFromMtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:52 PM   #29

sevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of lightsevenstringj is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffFromMtl View Post
I've always dug Dying Fetus pretty hard, but I will forever believe that the greatest thing Dying Fetus ever did was Misery Index I've yet to find a death metal album with more raw aggression than Retaliate. Classic.
Bruh, I was pissed the .... off when Kevin Talley (and Jason Netherton, but mostly Talley) left Fetus for Misery Index. I got one of their albums with high expectations and was disappointed. They're like Dying Fetus but without the grove, beatdowns, or John's trademark bark. Eh. I got Origin when I want relentlessness.
Unread 03-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #30
Banned

Mazzy can only hope to improve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaReaper View Post
I'm no more trolling this thread than you are by saying they they take dumps all over pyrexia or internal bleeding. I don't even like those bands, I was just using them as an example, they're just as bad IMO.

Eh, I could say the same exact thing about bands like Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, All That Remains, etc. Bands that had the same influences, started at around the same time, played the same shows. I don't even know what you're trying to say with this. You also contradicted yourself by saying that those BDM bands have the same influences yet sound nothing alike.

There's a ....ton of BDM bands that sound very much like dying fetus, pyrexia and internal bleeding being the in flames/at the gates to their metalcore. Check this out bro:

Again, I'm not trolling at all, just simply stating my opinions on a matter I actually care about. You don't see me interjecting in the Periphery/BoO/any djent thread because I don't care enough to. Feel free to add more red to my user CP, shit's starting to look way too green for me
The point of my last post was very clear. I'm a longtime fan of Soils of Fate, "bro". Your assertion that Dying Fetus is anymore "fourth rate internal bleeding/pyrexia worship" than any other brutal death metal is ridiculous. Yeah, they sound like they came from the '90s NE BDM scene, what do you expect? It doesn't make them a cookie-cutter worship band. Soils of Fate is a great band, and borrowed heavily from that sound, but they ARE a second wave worship band, while Dying Fetus is an original. I'm not a djent fan, so I have no idea what you're talking about.
Mazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #31
Уродливый, но честны

JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.JeffFromMtl is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenstringj View Post
Bruh, I was pissed the .... off when Kevin Talley (and Jason Netherton, but mostly Talley) left Fetus for Misery Index. I got one of their albums with high expectations and was disappointed. They're like Dying Fetus but without the grove, beatdowns, or John's trademark bark. Eh. I got Origin when I want relentlessness.
If you're strictly speaking of their work post-Retaliate, I completely understand. However, Retaliate itself was a monumental record. The aggression and groove on that album is immeasurable, but it isn't quite the same type of groove as Dying Fetus. And it's an entirely different kind of relentless than Origin. It's got more of that gritty hardcore punk/grindcore element to it, so I think it comes across as angrier and more energetic. I also felt the more polished production on the records that followed really took away from the raw aesthetic they had. If you haven't given Retaliate a spin yet, I highly recommend it. You may change your mind.

This great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves

moments before the wind
JeffFromMtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #32
Spanish Thrasher

Goro923 is just really niceGoro923 is just really nice
I would pay large amounts of green for the next DF record to sound like this:

"It's spelled Raymond Luxury-Yacht, but it's pronounced Throatwobbler Mangrove"
"He didn't talk to you about how Rockabilly is the Klezmer Music of the red states?"
"NO TOUCHING"
Goro923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:35 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffFromMtl View Post
If you're strictly speaking of their work post-Retaliate, I completely understand. However, Retaliate itself was a monumental record. The aggression and groove on that album is immeasurable, but it isn't quite the same type of groove as Dying Fetus. And it's an entirely different kind of relentless than Origin. It's got more of that gritty hardcore punk/grindcore element to it, so I think it comes across as angrier and more energetic. I also felt the more polished production on the records that followed really took away from the raw aesthetic they had. If you haven't given Retaliate a spin yet, I highly recommend it. You may change your mind.
Come to think of it, it was Retaliate. I got it as soon as possible back in the day because I was anxious to hear it. It was solid and intense, and there were some cool riffs, no doubt, but it just made it clear to me that John Gallagher is the real heart and soul of DF. But yeah, I know what you mean about Origin. I actually can't take too much of them in one sitting.
Unread 03-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #34
\m/-_-\m/

thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/thrsher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
besides the connection of slam, i dont think dying fetus internal bleeding and pyrexia sound that much alike. dying fetus is on another level. being that pyrexia and IB are from LI and have shared mutiple members, those two bands sound alike. fetus would be lumped with misery index and early criminal element cause they all shared members.

its easy to lump shadows fall, killswitch and all that remains together casue they all played together

HEISENBERG- Long Island DeathSlam www.facebook.com/heisenbergny
Our debut record is available now!www.heisenbergny.bandcamp.com
thrsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:44 AM   #35
SS Contributor

elrrek is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Marvellous band.

Hey look out! It's an opinion! WTF?!?

at war with false noise records
elrrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #36
Bastard of Thousands

ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.ridner is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 27 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by elrrek View Post

Marvellous band.

ridner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM   #37

^

Now I know what they're saying!
Unread 04-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #38
SS.org Regular

great_kthulu is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound View Post
Point taken. I have never really listened to these guys ever since getting into harder metal but right now listening to samples off their "Descend into Depravity" I am getting goosebumps listening to their guitar tone...it has a vicious sound for sure. What the heck I'll add this album to my collection as well.
I may not like all of it but honestly finding an album that is flawless from beginning to end is a rare thing.
To get get the descend tone, all you need is to blend an ampeg vh-140 with a engl savage both EQ'd with lows 10 mids 0 and highs 5. I talked gear with John when they played a place near me, he said this is what his settings were. His also said his biggest problem with the tightmetal was to much mid.
great_kthulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2012, 02:25 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_kthulu View Post
To get get the descend tone, all you need is to blend an ampeg vh-140 with a engl savage both EQ'd with lows 10 mids 0 and highs 5. I talked gear with John when they played a place near me, he said this is what his settings were. His also said his biggest problem with the tightmetal was to much mid.
Wow. That flies in the face of everything this community stands for.

Is this some sort of cruel joke?

I remember seeing some band open for a friend of mine. They had 2 guitarists. 1 looked like a chubby nerd with a Les Paul and Marshall amp, the other looked like a skinny metalhead [wannabe] badass with some pointy guitar and a Line 6 amp scooped to hell. They may as well have had only 1 guitarist. The most hilarious part was when the skinny kid moseyed on over to these 2 hot blondes in the front and played a solo right in front of them... because you couldn't hear a single ....ing note. (Of course my friend's drummer walked away with both chicks. )