homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree33Likes
  • 1 Post By AChRush1349
  • 13 Post By Scar Symmetry
  • 7 Post By Cabinet
  • 12 Post By Harry

Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-26-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
Lazy Bastard

ryugkun is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wink Djent is just a nice way of saying deathcore

Seriously I really can't see the difference other than the processed guitar sound and the majority of bands I've seen that call themselves "djent" sound tighter than those that call themselves "deathcore"

Whats all your guys opinions on it?
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-26-2012, 04:38 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

AChRush1349 is a jewel in the rough
I, Individually...

A. Don't personally see "djent" as a genre
B. Don't see all "djent" oriented bands as inherently core, or specifically deathcore
C. See distinct differences between bands typically labeled as/grouped in the "djent" scene vs. the death core scene (guitar tone, lyrics, playing style, musical philosophy, gear, even fashion style, as pointless of a difference it is)
D. Do admit that the styles can/do intersect a lot, but,

"Djent" is derived from Meshuggah (obviously). Meshuggah themselves are not a "djent" band, but I think any band from the "first wave" took Meshuggah's rhythmic approach, and added a little of proggy elements from bands like Dream theater and Cynic and melded them together into a sub-sub genre of progressive metal...some bands who saw bands like Periphery doing this took it a step further and added more typical song structures with breakdowns (albeit, syncopated or odd-timed breakdowns) and more "core" vocals, making the style more trendy and typical. Not to sound elitist, but just from experience listening to, and talking to people in bands that identify with the "djent" scene, I think most times it's a little more creatively written and musical. Even though many "djent" bands have similar song structures, the good ones stand out to me, as opposed to 99.99999999% of deathcore, which sounds the same to me.

However, this is just all how I see it. I have an intense hatred of 90% of core, so take what I say worth a grain of salt.
BucketheadRules likes this.

"A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. "
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think I don't care.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

CyborgSlunk will become famous soon enough
What I consider Djent are Bands like Meshuggah, Vildhjarta etc. and I don´t think those sound like deathcore. You could play these songs without the "djent" on a 6 string and it still wouldn´t sound alike.
Unread 02-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

AChRush1349 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgSlunk View Post
What I consider Djent are Bands like Meshuggah, Vildhjarta etc. and I don´t think those sound like deathcore. You could play these songs without the "djent" on a 6 string and it still wouldn´t sound alike.
I'm with you. The whole "djent" scene to me is Vildhjarta, Periphery, TesseracT, but 90% of these bands I just call progressive. The genre people call "djent" to me is just a sub-sub genre of progressive metal. I REALLY do hate using the word when not referring to tone or technique though...

"A man should not strive to eliminate his complexes but to get into accord with them: they are legitimately what directs his conduct in the world. "
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
:O

Cabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to behold
My opinion is to stop trying to categorize everything.
It's a waste of time.
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
You've been a member of this forum for this long and yet STILL haven't figured out this topic isn't a good idea? Oh boy
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #8
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChRush1349 View Post
I'm with you. The whole "djent" scene to me is Vildhjarta, Periphery, TesseracT, but 90% of these bands I just call progressive. The genre people call "djent" to me is just a sub-sub genre of progressive metal. I REALLY do hate using the word when not referring to tone or technique though...
...That still makes it a genre, whether you like the fact or not.

Using the word genre to mean a group of things that share a style, form, or content, I think we definitely have a group of bands that can be said to possess more common or shared characteristics than other generally accepted genres.

Having said that, if by the OP you mean the trendy nature, I can agree with you. It certainly seems to be getting more and more popular, similar to deathcore during 2004-06, right before that genre really exploded. Stylistically, I don't see where TesseracT is nigh-indistinguishable from Suicide Silence or With Blood Comes Cleansing. In pretty much every category one would list for defining a musical genre, there is a huge disparity between the two genres.

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

Unread 02-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #9
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
I think this is the place to use that drinking coffee smiley, right?
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:08 AM   #10
Giddyup.

Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.Prydogga is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
You've been a member of this forum for this long and yet STILL haven't figured out this topic isn't a good idea? Oh boy
This. Also yes to comment above. Sub-sub(sub-sub) sub-genres/categorisations suck. Listen to the music, who cares whether it's deathcore or djent, how does that hurt you?

M E M O I R S
Music from myself and Kurkkuviipale!
http://soundcloud.com/m-e-m-o-i-r-s

I also do graphic design, both freelance and for label Myriad Records.
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:18 AM   #11
All Fourths Advocate

Waelstrum is just really niceWaelstrum is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinet View Post
It's a waste of time.
I partially agree. Metal (and music as a whole) is at the point where you can hear two songs from the same band, that are both identifiable as being typical of that band's style, but also are from different genres. This is silly.

However, labels and categories are useful. When I first heard Liquid Tension Experiment it blew my mind. I wanted to listen to those two albums all the time, to an almost wearying extent. I wanted to find more music of this style, so I jumped onto Wikipedia (the source of all human knowledge) and discovered that it was progressive metal. Through that I discovered that vast and highly interesting music that this sub-genre of metal has to offer.

-------------------------------------------

On topic, I pretty much agree with AChRush1349, except the intense hatred of 90% of all -core is more like a burning indifference. I can also see where you're going with this thread in terms of bands in the ilk of After the Burial and Born of Osiris, but whilst they may have influences from djent to varying degrees, I'd still call them deathcore.
Unread 02-26-2012, 05:30 AM   #12
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabinet View Post
It's a waste of time.
This. I just call different genres by their most basic category. If something is a mix of 2 or more genres, I call it by whatever genre influence stands out the most. Metal. Blues. Rock. Reggae. Jazz. Your mom. Country. Pop. Rap. Classical.
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:47 AM   #13
:O

Cabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to beholdCabinet is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEBOV View Post
This. I just call different genres by their most basic category. If something is a mix of 2 or more genres, I call it by whatever genre influence stands out the most. Metal. Blues. Rock. Reggae. Jazz. Your mom. Country. Pop. Rap. Classical.
Yeah, that's how I would approach it. Genres are nothing more than perspectives. Certain characteristics might stand out in Band A that would make me file them under progressive metal, but what I think counts as progressive metal doesn't apply to someone else. And if we can't keep our heads it ends up in a pointless argument.
Unread 02-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #14
..to pay the beels

skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.skeels is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 25 reviews
I'm bored.
Closed Thread