homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree118Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #26
Gegen England!

LamaSabachthani will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstring View Post

but his screams were always poor in my opinion. They sounded forced and dry.

Really? I always thought his screams were so... 'distorted'... that they were almost inorganic - like a human voicebox couldn't have made them, just like jens kidman (although I do love the sound of both singers).
LamaSabachthani is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-04-2012, 11:32 PM   #27
SS.org Regular

mithologian is a jewel in the rough
First the human abstract, then this? After a year filled with so much great musical renditions, this seems to be like a rough start for 2012.
This is the lineup that got me into heavy music, now i will never be able to see this combination live. I do agree the newest album was not their best work, but id like to think its because Adam didn't produce it. Seems to be the only thing different in the formula that made heartache and daylight dies great, as well as any other records he has produced.
mithologian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #28
SS.org Regular

oddcam is on a distinguished road
Too many Howard haters in here. He can sing, scream, and everything-in-between better than 99% of metal vocalists out there, and his voice has great character.

If Jesse comes back they can do a KsE/Times of Grace tour, but he can't really sing and it's only a matter of time before his vocal technique (or lack thereof) keeps him from performing.

In conclusion... Chris Clancy!
BucketheadRules and littledoc like this.
oddcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #29
Go meat!

littledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of lightlittledoc is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Yeah, let's get freaking Chris Clancy in there stat!

Howard was an awesome vocalist. Jesse was alright, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking he has anywhere near the range and power that Howard does. I definitely don't think it's a coincidence that KSE shot to fame with The End of Heartache. Not too many vocalists are that good, or that unique.

So, again... Chris Clancy!
BucketheadRules likes this.
littledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #30
SS.org Regular

Uncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud ofUncreative123 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthdjentstic View Post
Weird, they're pretty popular so I dont see why he'd leave if it's easy bank

The guy is a massive alcoholic- they had to cancel a (their last?) tour because of it. Dude couldn't get his shit together. I think this was more of a him 'being asked/told to leave' rather than him leaving just of his own accord. He was basically preventing them from being able to tour or function. I'm actually surprised it took them as long as it did.
Uncreative123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:44 AM   #31
Sauvage

TheFerryMan is a jewel in the rough
this is such a terrible way to end my already terrible day.

that being said, there is only one person in my head that could do better than howard

Christian Älvestam. True facts.
SD83 likes this.

"TERATOPHOBIA" is an unusual fear of giving birth to a monster.

twitter.com/hailthered follow me on twitter, i say stuff.

I'm not trying to push my album of on anybody, but i am. it's Free(unless you want to donate) ! get at it http://hailthered.bandcamp.com/
TheFerryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:25 AM   #32
SS.org Regular

Hankey has a spectacular aura about
This makes me a sad panda :/...

But on the other hand:

Probably more Times Of Grace and maybe Philswitch Engage?
Hankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:31 AM   #33
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFerryMan View Post
this is such a terrible way to end my already terrible day.

that being said, there is only one person in my head that could do better than howard

Christian Älvestam. True facts.
dude didn't want to tour with SS who tour about 10 times less than KSE.
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:21 AM   #34
I like green guitars

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDrucifer View Post
I figured this was going to happen after Howard went on break while Phil Labonte covered for him a couple years ago. Actually just saw on Phil's twitter earlier "No, I am not joining kse".
Thank god, because Phil Labonte is a ....ing terrible singer.

I mean... seriously? Jesus Christ, he's about two and a quarter semitones off at the best of times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:45 AM   #35
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
yeah Phil's a great screamer, but his cleans sound like heavy studio magic.

when they covered Believe in Nothing by Nevermore my soul cried.
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #36
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncreative123 View Post
The guy is a massive alcoholic- they had to cancel a (their last?) tour because of it. Dude couldn't get his shit together. I think this was more of a him 'being asked/told to leave' rather than him leaving just of his own accord. He was basically preventing them from being able to tour or function. I'm actually surprised it took them as long as it did.
Source?
Something doesn't add up. He's well known for being a straight edge musician
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 09:46 AM   #37
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Jessie's screams were way more powerful and emotion filled than Howard's IMO, but Howard had a much more powerful singing voice.

That being said, I'm not really upset by this at all. The band definitely needed a breath of fresh air, their last couple albums were pretty generic. Alive or Just Breathing was a freakin masterpiece, and The End Of Heartache was a damn good record too, but after that...not so much.
Randy and M3CHK1LLA like this.

For some sweet progressive/grunge/metal, check out my band:
www.facebook.com/wearenihilistcrane

Our debut ep will be available April 1st!

For all my solo stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/brianharrigan
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #38
Death Metal™

cwhitey2 is just really nicecwhitey2 is just really nice
Now only if Jesse will make a return....that would be win.

I liked Howard, but the style of music changed when he came on board...i guess i just prefer the old killswitch sound
Triple7 likes this.

Mesa 2 channel
Basson 4x12

cwhitey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #39
Specter

linchpin is just really nicelinchpin is just really nice
Man I'm gonna miss his love songs.
linchpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #40
DJUN DJUNDJUNDJUN
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG View Post
yeah Phil's a great screamer, but his cleans sound like heavy studio magic.
Add Oli Herbert to that list. The crispest, cleanest solos on the album and just a total car wreck live. /OT
poopyalligator likes this.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #41
I like green guitars

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Add Oli Herbert to that list. The crispest, cleanest solos on the album and just a total car wreck live. /OT
Yeah, this too. Used to really admire him, his solos are amazing on the records.

I've gone right off ATR, they're just a studio band who write boring music with good solos that they can't play live.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:12 AM   #42
The Decepticon

Triple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to beholdTriple7 is a splendid one to behold
This Darkened Heart by All That Remains was an awesome record for sure, but after that they started writing in a more generic formula, which I can only assume was to gain mass appeal.

For some sweet progressive/grunge/metal, check out my band:
www.facebook.com/wearenihilistcrane

Our debut ep will be available April 1st!

For all my solo stuff:
https://soundcloud.com/brianharrigan
Triple7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:20 AM   #43
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
Source?
Something doesn't add up. He's well known for being a straight edge musician
I'd like to know where this was heard as well.

I've ALWAYS gotten the impression from the very day he joined that Howard was not a huge fan of KSE's music, and that he did NOT like Adam. I've witnessed quite a few tense moments between the two over the years, and seen a few snippy comments from Howard towards Adam in interviews.

Too many people saying "Bring back Jesse!!!", not enough people saying "Bring back Blood Has Been Shed!!!!"

Randy, Triple7 and DLG like this.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #44
mids are overrated

MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.MetalDaze is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
At first I didn't like the tone of Howard's clean vocals, but I liked the music and he eventually grew on me.

When my musical 'world' was much smaller, I would have been crushed if the singer of a band I liked was no longer there, but not anymore. I'm hopeful Killswitch will find a good replacement and put out some new stuff that I like, but if not, there's plenty of other good music to be heard
MetalDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #45
DESU METARU!

kamello is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ND SWEATY View Post
this would happen the day i decide to wear my KSE shirt
Im having a pretty similar feeling , I just got into them like 3 weeks ago, The End of the Heartache is killer
kamello is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #46
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I'm glad Howard Jones left Killswitch Engage because now he can get back to singing his hits like "Things Can Only Get Better", "What is Love" and "No One is to Blame"...

You forgot his classic, "Party All The Time".
Blood Ghost likes this.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
FREE Sample Chapters Here
Buy the full book here.
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #47
SS.org Regular

Blood Ghost is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Really liked his stuff when I was first getting into music with heavy vocals, since he had such a robust singing voice. That said, his vocals just felt too "over the top" to me when I got older and they just totally dropped off my radar.

Still a Jesse Leach fan, though.
A little off topic, but Randy, no matter what you say or how intelligently you put out your thoughts, I always giggle thanks to David Vincent.

Ahem, anyway, yeah, I'm in the same boat with Howard's vocals. Jesse Leach would be a really good choice for KSE to continue with.
Randy and DLG like this.
Blood Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #48
Bastard of Thousands

ridner is shredding to new heights.ridner is shredding to new heights.ridner is shredding to new heights.ridner is shredding to new heights.ridner is shredding to new heights.ridner is shredding to new heights.ridner is shredding to new heights.ridner is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Blood Has Been Shed
kerska likes this.
ridner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #49
angel sword guardian

M3CHK1LLA is a name known to allM3CHK1LLA is a name known to allM3CHK1LLA is a name known to allM3CHK1LLA is a name known to all
dang, has it really been 9 yrs? still a kse fan but the last couple albums have been so, so...nothing as epic as "alive" or "heartache"

ive always loved jesse's sound & "times of grace" was great album. nice guy too, i meet him in fort worth when he was in seemless. i did miss having his scream style & heartfelt emotions in the kse songs. it would be great if he does come back, just hope this time he sticks to it. im sure lessons were learned on both sides.

that being said howard has some of the best vocals out there & he will def be hard to replace. if he has any issues, i wish him the best & hope they get resolved cause this guy needs to be in the music scene.

I always thought Cliff getting killed instead of Lars was like John Lennon getting killed instead of Yoko - MJS
M3CHK1LLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #50
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a name known to allpoopyalligator is a name known to allpoopyalligator is a name known to allpoopyalligator is a name known to all
Quote:

I have seen them twice, and Oli butchered every single solo. Along with Phil sounding like crap. Worst live band I have ever witnessed twice

Back on topic. I think it sucks that Howard is gone. I liked him a lot more than Jesse. Although I wouldnt be sad if Jesse were to rejoin the band.

My main setup:
Ibanez uv7bk green dot, Engl fireball 60, genz benz g flex 2x12.
poopyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote