homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

mrlespaulman will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Music: Art or Entertainment?

I was recently told by a self-proclaimed "virtuoso" and "professional" musician that all music from modern times is purely for surface-level entertainment value. According to him, only music from the Baroque-Romantic period has any "Art-Value" or deeper meaning.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love listening to good classical music compositions. But isn't it a little vain to say that NO music from the modern era has deeper meaning? Obviously pop-radio-garbage is what he's referring to here, but it frustrates me to think that a "knowledgeable" musician has little to no knowledge of the current state of good music. Does Pat Methany pump out stale pop tunes? Does John Petrucci play his fantastic improv for entertainment value? I don't think so.

Am I right? Or did all music become stale crap after the turn of the century?

Like prog-rock with real singing and catchy riffs?
Check out Eden Regained!
http://www.facebook.com/edenregained
http://www.youtube.com/user/edenregained
mrlespaulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-29-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Banned

in-pursuit is just really nicein-pursuit is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
whoever you heard that from is on par, as far as ignorance goes, with the people who only listen to top forty and claim that music like jazz/classical/metal/insert genre here has no tune, rhythm, or musical value.
elrrek, Konfyouzd, Adari and 2 others like this.
in-pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #3
SS.org Unsui

bandinaboy is just really nicebandinaboy is just really nice
This just turns down to the opinion on "what is considered art" You could even view each genre has aspects of art and entertainment. Like pop music is generally mostly entertainment value. And Prog is generally art value. but genres like jazz can be either. And I suppose it all boils down to the song and intent. But I personally think there is plenty of art out there today in this century. Just because "its not good" doesn't mean its not art either. It all boils down to listeners opinion and musicians intent.
flaik likes this.
bandinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
i don't know who your talking to but music is nothing more then organized sound and silence.

music is the craft of pitch, volume, duration and timbre.

what you see it as beyond that simple concept, is subjective.

so don't argue something with no answer?

Check out my band

Facebook.come/forsythiaofficial

My youtube
youtube.com/therealgtarbeast666

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Im a super chill mellow ambient slut. --7 STRINGS OF HATE
brutalwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

mrlespaulman will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalwizard View Post
i don't know who your talking to but music is nothing more then organized sound and silence.

music is the craft of pitch, volume, duration and timbre.

what you see it as beyond that simple concept, is subjective.

so don't argue something with no answer?
Exactly my point.

Like prog-rock with real singing and catchy riffs?
Check out Eden Regained!
http://www.facebook.com/edenregained
http://www.youtube.com/user/edenregained
mrlespaulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #6
Taokaka BOOM!

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Yes.

I would like to point to intent, but that's not a very defensible position.
asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
To be honest, the only appropriate response I could think of to that is "LOL".
There is just no reasoning with people like that quite frankly
Mwoit and Adari like this.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 12:53 AM   #8
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlespaulman View Post
I was recently told by a self-proclaimed "virtuoso" and "professional" musician that all music from modern times is purely for surface-level entertainment value. According to him, only music from the Baroque-Romantic period has any "Art-Value" or deeper meaning.

(D)id all music become stale crap after the turn of the century?
What jumped out at me is that he's asserting that he himself is incapable of writing any music with any "art-value" or deeper meaning. That's a pretty funny assertion, and I'd bring it to his attention as often as possible. *laugh*

Geez, some pieces which immediately jumped to mind were Respighi's Pines of Rome (1924) and Thelonius Monk's Round Midnight (1944).

Any person who just dismisses Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue is just a pretentious twat.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:07 AM   #9
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I never got this whole one or the other thing.
Isn't art a form of entertainment?
Can't something that's entertaining be a work of art?
Don't the two often go hand in hand?

I be crazy some times.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:11 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

guitareben is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Surely it's oneself's decision as to what is art and what is entertainment. It's not like new music is intrinsically NOT art, as if there were some universal law against newer musics being art...

Either way, who cares right? Music is just... awesome
guitareben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:16 AM   #11
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
you hung out with Yngwie?
elrrek, AcousticMinja and thedonal like this.
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 02:27 AM   #12
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
So Béla Bartók's music is not art because he did most of his work in the 20th century?
That guy is stupid...

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 03:08 AM   #13
Totally Random

JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.JPMike is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Well, I truly believe Music is Art, no matter what genre.

Evolution wise, music hasn't been evolved since the time Schillinger and Scriabin were alive. That's true, we reached an edge there and we still haven't been able to surpass that. Meaning, music hasn't come up with anything new, language wise.

And, as Plato's "Πολιτεία" says, Music were called all the arts back in Ancient Greece and then the Catholics or dunno whoever did, baptimised Music the hearing/listening arts.
So in my mind and as my guitar teacher likes to say, Music is the ART of Arts.
Deathspell Omega likes this.
JPMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 03:20 AM   #14
String Theorist

AcousticMinja is just really niceAcousticMinja is just really nice
I'm guessing it depends on what artist you're talking to.
I've talked to people before who simply play music to make money. So they'll play whatever is entertaining and sells to the crowd.

For me, it's just something I do. it's a way of expressing myself.
I play from the heart. I guess it's cause I'm a very emotional person, but still. The guys in my band are the same way.
And I know a lot of people on here are like that, too. They play from within.

To say that all new music is purely for entertainment value is, well, in my opinion, very ignorant. Take a look around you, forget the mainstream media for a minute and go watch some local bands. Sure, you'll find some who want to just make money, but look closer, you'll see those who really "feel" their music. That's art to me. Regardless of whether or not they're good in your opinion. Especially when you see a band who all literally perform together and feel the music as one.

art-Noun
1. The expression or application of human creative skill and imagination
AcousticMinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 03:39 AM   #15
SS.org Regular

thedonal is a jewel in the rough
Frankly, the guy sounds like a bit of a .... to me. I'd best avoid him...

A Drug By The Name Of "World Without End"

https://soundcloud.com/#atomsun
thedonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 04:30 AM   #16
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
Art is entertainment.
Kurkkuviipale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:08 AM   #17
Bald and gribbly.

BigBaldIan is just really niceBigBaldIan is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
What jumped out at me is that he's asserting that he himself is incapable of writing any music with any "art-value" or deeper meaning. That's a pretty funny assertion, and I'd bring it to his attention as often as possible. *laugh*

Geez, some pieces which immediately jumped to mind were Respighi's Pines of Rome (1924) and Thelonius Monk's Round Midnight (1944).

Any person who just dismisses Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue is just a pretentious twat.
Hello Mr. Virtuoso, please point bazooka at foot and feel free to pull the trigger whenever you please. All humour aside I've had several conversations with a good friend of mine about this subject, whilst driving to lunch. If we treat music as a meme, then by definition all we are hearing now from the Baroque and Romantic periods are the ideas that were persistent enough to survive. Given a time machine, I'm sure we would find in the same given periods, the equivalent of ephemeral music that was designed to be superficially entertaining with no deeper meaning.

Given the same time machine and projecting the same time into the future, only the music deemed by society worthy of saving will still be remembered. Perhaps more will survive due to technological paradigm shifts, but how much of it will still be played?

To assert that no modern music has value based on the small percentile of music that has survived from older periods, shows deeply flawed logic and astonishing arrogance in my humble opinion. It's like saying that because a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost is a classic car, nothing made today has that potential.

Edit: Note to self will listen to Rhapsody in Blue tonight. If I remember correctly the famous opening clarinet line was originally done as a joke, but Gershwin loved it.
BigBaldIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #18
Pretty Your Petunia

brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/brutalwizard is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
to me personally music is but, 500 beavers screaming in unison with a Canadian accent, over amplified water dripping arhythmically to the sound of a ceiling fan with a Pokemon card glued to it. Thus causing an ambient screeching in the process and varying in volume, only given a beat by the bumps of the dry ceiling paint occurring in 5/8 time.

When something is as vague and subjective as music, it can be perceived as anything.

Check out my band

My youtube

I don't think that we ever thought of it as the equivalent of music, as the end-goal was to buy more in-game slut clothes-- schecterwhore on rock band

Unread 09-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #19
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Wouldn't lose too much sleep over the jackass making that claim in the OP. Idiots like that will always make ridiculous arguments that essentially boil down to assertions that the object of their particular interest is just so much more "important" than what other people are interested in.

Classical snobbery is the art-criticism equivalent of lamenting about how comic books no longer cost a nickel- it's low-level nostalgia and takes no effort to cultivate. The thing is, that era has had the benefit of centuries of time of natural selection where the good elements have been canonized and the shitty elements are largely forgotten. I bet that there was a lot of shitty music back then that simply didn't survive. Our era might not have that same benefit, thanks to digital storage and CDs being pressed by the 100k's.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #20
Bald and gribbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demiurge View Post
The thing is, that era has had the benefit of centuries of time of natural selection where the good elements have been canonized and the shitty elements are largely forgotten. I bet that there was a lot of shitty music back then that simply didn't survive. Our era might not have that same benefit, thanks to digital storage and CDs being pressed by the 100k's.
Exactly the point I was making earlier, glad to see I'm not the only one.
Unread 09-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #21
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Years ago over at Sonic State (synth forum), I suggested the Filter of Time Theory: Time eliminates weaker examples of art and technology, so we only have stronger examples from any given time period.

We remember Hendrix and those who played Woodstock... but what we think of as the Sixties was really less than a few years, culminating in the Summer of Love. How much bad music is now forgotten from that decade?

And, extending that... how much bad music is forgotten from the Romantic/Baroque eras?

Sure, we'll remember the most amazing pieces, as they passed through the FoT successfully, but not many people spend study time on music from that period that just didn't have an enduring quality beyond the moment, in the same way few (if any) college courses concentrate on romance novels or other popular writings.

----

And now, I'm going to toss on Naked Keys, a wonderful and atypical (for her) album of solo piano by singer/songwriter Margie Adam, just the thing for an overcast day....
JPMike and Demiurge like this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #22
Bald and gribbly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
We remember Hendrix and those who played Woodstock... but what we think of as the Sixties was really less than a few years, culminating in the Summer of Love. How much bad music is now forgotten from that decade?
I may be dating myself here, but as I'm in my mid-thirties, people my age generally tend to look upon the post New Romantic era as the time when pop went downhill. Personally I blame the Hit Factory but that's another story for another day. It was only when I was watching some reruns of Top of The Pops 2, that I realised how much unmitigated dross was around and was popular for that matter. I had simply filtered them out of my memory and the only songs that remained had some intrinsic value (if subjectively).

Ahh TotP the only show that could have Megadeth following Diana Ross.
thedonal likes this.
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:09 AM   #23
OVER THE LINE!

Wingchunwarrior is a glorious beacon of lightWingchunwarrior is a glorious beacon of lightWingchunwarrior is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Music is a sport

*deal with it gif.*

Shono.........

ahead of his time
Wingchunwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 01:17 PM   #24
Pretty Your Petunia

Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalwizard View Post
to me personally music is but, 500 beavers screaming in unison with a Canadian accent, over amplified water dripping arhythmically to the sound of a ceiling fan with a Pokemon card glued to it. Thus causing an ambient screeching in the process and varying in volume, only given a beat by the bumps of the dry ceiling paint occurring in 5/8 time.
ohh wait that is mike pattons version of music

Check out my band

My youtube

Unread 09-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #25
Dread-I Master

Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.Konfyouzd is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Art is entertaining...
ArrowHead likes this.

Konfyouzd is offline   Reply With Quote