homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #176
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wow.

My synopsis of the album so far:

Cynic: Carbon-Based Anatomy EP | Tracks | Pitchfork

Observe that link. Note the # of plays for each song. Note how they just keep losing fans as each track progresses. 3000 plays, 2500 plays, 1700 plays, 1300 plays, 1100 plays. So if the attempt was a body of music to be listened to as a whole, they've missed their mark with many people. Only a third of the people that started that EP finished it.

It's a nice EP. Much better than Re-Traced. But still - while musically boundaries are expanding the instrumental boundaries have constricted. The drumming and guitar playing are not what I expected from a Cynic album. The songs are great, however.

Sadly, there is no trace of aggression on this album. Not only are the harsh vocals gone, but the muted chord progression backing the chorus of Elves Beam Out is perhaps the heaviest thing on this record.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #177
fps
Kit

fps is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
Wow.

My synopsis of the album so far:

Cynic: Carbon-Based Anatomy EP | Tracks | Pitchfork

Observe that link. Note the # of plays for each song. Note how they just keep losing fans as each track progresses. 3000 plays, 2500 plays, 1700 plays, 1300 plays, 1100 plays. So if the attempt was a body of music to be listened to as a whole, they've missed their mark with many people. Only a third of the people that started that EP finished it.

It's a nice EP. Much better than Re-Traced. But still - while musically boundaries are expanding the instrumental boundaries have constricted. The drumming and guitar playing are not what I expected from a Cynic album. The songs are great, however.

Sadly, there is no trace of aggression on this album. Not only are the harsh vocals gone, but the muted chord progression backing the chorus of Elves Beam Out is perhaps the heaviest thing on this record.
People on the internet are utterly fickle, very rare they're going to listen to a whole album online, plus they may want to sample then buy later and not spoil it by listening to every track. Or even not know who the band are and just want to listen to a track.

Stream our AWESOME ROCK ALBUM Supervolcano ----------------> http://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/album/supervolcano
https://www.facebook.com/DeathApeDisco
fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #178
SS.org Regular

I don't know about other people. I know some are likely similar to me - waiting for pre-orders to arrive. I've streamed the album beginning to end about 30 times or so in the last 2 days. So of those 1000 people that even listened to the last track, 30-40 of them were myself, streaming it in it's entirety.

It's a great EP, too, but it goes by QUICK. And like I said, it's lacking the aggressive element and musical technicality many fans might have been hoping for.

Although the people saying it sounds like Aeon Spoke are overstating the matter. It's most definitely somewhere in-between. Call it flushed out Aeon Spoke songs, or call it mellowed out Cynic songs. It's straddling that middle line. It's nice, in it's own way. They've just dropped the whole "metal" aspect of Cynic completely with these last two EPs.

Whether it's complex death metal music, or even simple aggression like Ani Difranco ranting about her tampon with an acoustic guitar, I like it when the music has a driving aggressive element. It doesn't necessarily have to be "metal". That is not evident on this EP. It does not seem to be an important part of their sound anymore.
Unread 11-13-2011, 11:53 AM   #179
fps
Kit

fps is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I don't know about other people. I know some are likely similar to me - waiting for pre-orders to arrive. I've streamed the album beginning to end about 30 times or so in the last 2 days. So of those 1000 people that even listened to the last track, 30-40 of them were myself, streaming it in it's entirety.

It's a great EP, too, but it goes by QUICK. And like I said, it's lacking the aggressive element and musical technicality many fans might have been hoping for.

Although the people saying it sounds like Aeon Spoke are overstating the matter. It's most definitely somewhere in-between. Call it flushed out Aeon Spoke songs, or call it mellowed out Cynic songs. It's straddling that middle line. It's nice, in it's own way. They've just dropped the whole "metal" aspect of Cynic completely with these last two EPs.

Whether it's complex death metal music, or even simple aggression like Ani Difranco ranting about her tampon with an acoustic guitar, I like it when the music has a driving aggressive element. It doesn't necessarily have to be "metal". That is not evident on this EP. It does not seem to be an important part of their sound anymore.
Is it less metal than Traced In Air then? I mean, I loved, LOVED that album, it was so light, but softer than that and I don't think I'll bother.

Stream our AWESOME ROCK ALBUM Supervolcano ----------------> http://deathapedisco.bandcamp.com/album/supervolcano
https://www.facebook.com/DeathApeDisco
fps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 12:00 PM   #180
SS.org Regular

anomynous has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
This is way softer than Traced in Air, traced in air is death metal compared to this
anomynous is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #181
SS.org Regular

It's like 3 "wheels within wheels" songs, interspersed with world music.

You can actually stream the entire album at that link. It's worthwhile, I'm still glad to pick it up. It's not another re-traced, but it's not another Traced in Air either. I actually thing Elves Beam Out is the most "metal" song on there, but most would disagree with me. There's an underlying driving pulse that sticks out. There's also the closest thing to the original vocoder vocals.
Unread 11-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #182
PTP
SS.org Regular

PTP is a jewel in the rough
It sounds more like Portal than Aeon Spoke to me.
wannabguitarist likes this.
PTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #183
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
^just as bad imo
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 06:28 PM   #184
SS.org Unsui

bandinaboy is just really nicebandinaboy is just really nice
Sober, the album is good at best. However "on the other side" the album is controlling and mind altering good.
bandinaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #185
The One Who Knocks

Ralyks is just really niceRalyks is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandinaboy View Post
Sober, the album is good at best. However "on the other side" the album is controlling and mind altering good.
Yeah, thats the best way the put it
Really dig the EP, but I do miss the technical riffage. I just hope the next FULL LENGTH (hoping, 20 minutes is not enough) recalls a bit of vintage Cynic. Nothing wrong with new direction, just don't forget your roots man
Ralyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 12:12 PM   #186
SS.org Regular

Has anybody that preordered from Season of Mist received their CD yet? I got an email over a week ago that it would ship "soon" and that I'd get an email when it ships. I haven't heard from them since.
Unread 11-18-2011, 02:52 PM   #187
Lifted By Skin

Mwoit is a name known to allMwoit is a name known to allMwoit is a name known to allMwoit is a name known to all
Yup, I got mine on Tuesday. Good EP, although I feel like future releases will be in similar vein to this. Cool, but not why I love Cynic in the first place.

Nonetheless, I'll still be watching them!
Mwoit is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 03:34 PM   #188
Mid-Level Asshole

7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.7 Strings of Hate is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 28 reviews
I LOVED this ep. Its ....ing great. Now that being said, the 3 real songs on it sound like traced in air to me but a little lighter. Not like aeon spoke at all to me.
I hope they do pick up the agression when they put out a whole album, but these songs are great.

Confront and Destroy!
7 Strings of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #189
SS Contributor

wannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to beholdwannabguitarist is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
I ....ing love this EP. Granted I've enjoyed pretty much everything Cynic related

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandinaboy View Post
However "on the other side" the album is controlling and mind altering good.
This is so true

Love Charity Esteem
wannabguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 05:38 PM   #190
A Chap Called Ross

vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.vampiregenocide harnesses the souls of 1,000 dead viking lords.
It's a brilliant EP. The production is solid, and while the heavy vocals are gone I didn't miss them so much because the vocal melodies in this are so good. The short instrumentals are cool too, especially the opening track. They really build up a great atmosphere and lead into the other tracks well.

However, I paid an album price for what is essentially three full tracks, so it felt somewhat lacking. I mean it was worth it because it's a great EP, but it would have been cool to have some more complete songs. They need to hurry up and release a full-length.
vampiregenocide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #191
SS.org Regular

Doug N has a spectacular aura about
So, I'm new to Cynic - just bought the EP and it's interesting but not blowing me away. If I'm going to dig into their catalogue, what should I buy next?
Doug N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2011, 11:11 PM   #192
SS.org Regular

anomynous has a spectacular aura about
Traced in Air and Focus........aka their only other two albums. Re-traced is just ambient version of TIA
anomynous is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2011, 05:48 PM   #193
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠

Into Obsidian is just really niceInto Obsidian is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug N View Post
So, I'm new to Cynic - just bought the EP and it's interesting but not blowing me away. If I'm going to dig into their catalogue, what should I buy next?
FOCUS
Into Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #194
long ball larry!

adrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of lightadrock is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
so i've never really listened to Cynic before (i know, i know), so take this opinion with a grain of salt. but, this new EP is ....ing amazing. i'm really into it. time to go back, and see how it compares to their older material...
adrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2011, 02:02 PM   #195
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoit View Post
Yup, I got mine on Tuesday.
I wonder what's holding up the US orders? Not only am I still waiting, but every US retailer I check is out of stock. Something is snafu'd.

This will be the last time I preorder, seems to completely defeat the purpose.
Unread 11-21-2011, 01:05 PM   #196
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠

Into Obsidian is just really niceInto Obsidian is just really nice
Quote:
I wonder what's holding up the US orders? Not only am I still waiting, but every US retailer I check is out of stock. Something is snafu'd.

This will be the last time I preorder, seems to completely defeat the purpose.
Ive personally always had bad luck with pre-orders
ArrowHead likes this.
Into Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:24 AM   #197
SS.org Regular

Just got a reply from the email I sent SOM last week about my pre-order. It seems like English isn't the first language there, so I might not be understanding it right, but what I got from it is that the US branch/distributor is waiting for their inventory to clear through customs.

Bummer, but at least I've got the streaming copy to listen to for now.

A question for any one who received theirs yet that ordered the VINYL and the CD - did you notice any difference in the mix between the two copies? Is the vinyl worth listening to, or should I just hang it on the wall as I planned? If it's a good LP mix with lots of tasty dynamics, I might go get ye olde phonograph out of storage.
Unread 11-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #198
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Into Obsidian View Post
Ive personally always had bad luck with pre-orders
This was my first time pre-ordering music. I've had bad luck with video game pre-orders, but figured things might be different here. I was wrong.

Whatever, it's not a biggie. I've got the stream to listen to. But I'm dying to dig into the digi-pak and see the artwork, as well as get a look at the blue vinyl I ordered.

Seems like the tour/release/distribution timing here was really off. Is there going to be another tour after the CD has been out for a bit? I'd like to see them once I know the material a lot better.
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #199
SS.org Regular

Okay, it's December. Still haven't received my pre-order. Got the email from the label saying it was stuck at customs. Meanwhile, the records store at my local mall HAS the album. I guess customs only hates people that already paid.

This will be my last venture with SOM, and likely my last Cynic purchase if they remain on the label.
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:42 AM   #200
Lifted By Skin

Mwoit is a name known to allMwoit is a name known to allMwoit is a name known to allMwoit is a name known to all
Quote:
Okay, it's December. Still haven't received my pre-order. Got the email from the label saying it was stuck at customs. Meanwhile, the records store at my local mall HAS the album. I guess customs only hates people that already paid.

This will be my last venture with SOM, and likely my last Cynic purchase if they remain on the label.
Shame man, I've had good service with them (ordered DEP - Option Paralysis previously and it came in good time and nick) before!
Mwoit is online now   Reply With Quote