homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By Explorer
  • 1 Post By TheDjentlman
  • 1 Post By Explorer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:13 AM   #1
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Demo videos with barely any demo? Maddening!

Youtube can be a great tool for actually hearing something which might otherwise be impossible to easily test in the real world. It can make the difference between taking a chance on ordering something from the interwebz without trying it yourself, or just deciding to play it safe.

Even a good comparison demo between something you know and something you're curious about can be very informative.

However... tonight I thought I'd give a listen to some demos regarding something I want compared to something else, and some of these guys just never seem to get down to business. I'm talking about a five-minute demo, and I'm waiting for the product to actually be used, but there is a lot of talk about the specs and such. I start skipping forward bit by bit, and there's no evidence of anything being played when I jump by 10 second intervals. I got to the end on one, and there was no actual demonstration, even though they had enough time to stick in a computer-generated logo sequence for their business which would have put the NFL to shame.

This happened to me on at least 6 demos, so I now just wait 30 seconds, then start skipping.

I understand wanting to let someone know the specs, even though I think if someone found the video, they can probably investigate the product. Still, are they just trying to pad the video?

This just barely outpaces my second peeve about demos, clean demos on which someone decides to drench the clean sound in delay, chorus, reverb or a huge combination of similar effects. If you're going to demo the clean tone, including its articulation, then taking a walk on the spacey side defeats the purpose.

Clearly this isn't earthshaking, but I just wonder what's on someone's mind when they put something like this up. Do they have a quota they have to fill? Anxious subscribers who will unsubscribe unless there's something new to watch, however uninformative it might be?

Anyone else ever been frustrated by demos which turned out not to be?

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 07-25-2011, 03:28 AM   #2
Giant Fridge Magnet

Ishan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud ofIshan has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I watch tones of these while browsing for new gears, and tones of actual demos but with pretty terrible recording so it's useless (most those guys buy expensive gears but don't have a freakin' decent mic...).
I'm with you man!

Current rig : Agile Intrepid Pro with Lace Aluma Deathbar pickup -> Eleven Rack + TC G-Major -> ESI Near 5 Experience
My string tension calculator STC - supports most D'addarrio and Circle K Strings
Ishan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

Edika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I totally agree. Sometimes you see some demos that are divided in three parts. You expect to find and hear in depth the channels the person demoing the amp is going to make, and end up hearing the amp in the third part, with a few chords in the clean channel a lot of chugging in the crunch/distortion channels and a lot of interruptions in the playing to attest how amazing the amp is.

Best demo's I've seen are with a brief introduction, more details in the description below the video and the player covering different different styles of music with different settings of the amp!

New songs from my band Semic Stains up at:

http://www.myspace.com/semicstains

Check 'em out!
Edika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #4
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Not entirely relating to the title topic question, but in general I find basically any demo worthless unless it's been put together by someone with a decent amount of audio engineering knowledge.
Those 'demo' videos where someone has thrown a video camera in a room and then just has the amp blaring tells me how the amp sounds in exactly that situation.........through a shitty video camera microphone.
Unless you plan to be doing nothing but making videos of sticking your vid cam in the room and then recording via it's shitty mic for the ultimate in muffled, stuffy tone and throwing it up on youtube, it's more or less entirely useless, because it doesn't tell us anything about how the product sounds in a practical, real situation.

Now THIS is actually a good video demonstrating (primarily) the sound of a guitar amp and cabinet.
It actually lets us hear the product being used in a real, practical situation a recorded, full band mix, rather than just hearing it alone and not in a mix.
I trust Ola's videos to get a real representation of how a guitar amp sounds, because he actually knows what he's doing.
It's also kickass that he isn't blabbering on about the damn amp for 5 minutes straight, but instead just gets straight to the audio and fortunately for us, is 10000 times a better player than most of those idiot hack players that 'demo' gear.

A lot of people will say "BUT OMG IT'S POST PROCESSED", but those are the same people that fail to realize unless you get it within 90 per cent of how you want it at the source, it's just a junk recording of a guitar track that needs to be tossed away and redone.
With Ola's videos, all you're hearing is some low pass, high pass and a tiny bit of EQ-ing in the middle there maybe, but otherwise what you hear is 95 per cent true to what came out of the microphone.
Pretty much any great guitar tone you've heard off an, let's say, Andy Sneap record for example, is about the same. Some low pass, high pass, a tiny bit of EQ, but otherwise most of the work is spent getting the best sound as possible from mic placement and careful adjustments on the actual amp head itself.

And if I must say so, 95 per cent true out of the mic in a real, practical situation beats the pants off the 100 per cent in a environment that has no real basis in what we encounter in reality.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
awkward soul

datalore is a jewel in the rough
I'm with the OP. A lot of people will claim that they are doing a demonstration, but what they actually do is a review that involves telling the viewer what every knob and switch on the device is called. "...and over here we have the derp control, for variable, uh... derp."

I like the Pro Guitar Shop videos and Greg V's demos. They just give a verbal description of the basic physical and sonic properties of the gear, describe a useful application for the gear, then show a bunch of cool sounds that you can get with a piece of gear in combination with a range of other gear, using a high quality but relatively neutral recording signal chain.

In my ideal world, every demo would include both processed and unprocessed clips of the gear both alone and in a full band mix. Also, because gear responds differently to different playing styles, I really like when demonstrations include more than one player.
datalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Heavy Blog Is Heavy

NaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud of
A trend in this genre of video is to have a super long video and the guy keeps talking about the product endlessly, with no real content. And whenever there's content you can easily obtain it from the website of the product.

We want to hear how the product sounds, not how you sound!

Ola's videos are great. He's what convinced me to buy an axe-fx. (they really need a better vocalist though)

I can't not buy Parker guitars.

My 9 string carbon fiber custom guitar

Author for HeavyBlogIsHeavy - http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com
Check out my solo project: NYN
Guitarist of Carthage
NaYoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
User name = Regret

TheDjentlman is a jewel in the rough
The only demo videos I stick to are PGS, but half the time they demo shit I'm not even interested in
highlordmugfug likes this.

"If I wanted to get a girl from playing in a band, I'd probably join a Screamo band and put a Keyboard over my Breakdown" - Rob Watson
TheDjentlman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
SS.org Regular

georg_f is a jewel in the rough
absolutely
a good demo should be like this:
Someone is playing the guitar or amp etc. at the VERY beginning (some short riffs/licks etc.)
then maybe some talking
then some more demonstrating of all the features etc.
georg_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM   #9
ss.org Regular

CurTro-P has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
seriously frustrating when you come across a "blah blah blah - NEW SONG" video on youtube an its live and all you hear is a distorted noise an crowd screams!

sorry somewhat off topic but still in the same vein of inaudible no help at all uploaded content.
CurTro-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
SS.org Regular

Espaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of light
This one, made by a fellow sevenstring.org member called Lechuga, is pretty much what I look for in a demo vid.

I haven't gotten this amp to sound this clean just yet, but bought one of these because of the vid.

You: "I'd like a Coke." Waiter:"Is Pepsi ok?" You: "Is Monopoly money ok?"

http://www.youtube.com/concretenor
Espaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Heavy Blog Is Heavy

NaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud ofNaYoN has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by georg_f View Post
absolutely
a good demo should be like this:
Someone is playing the guitar or amp etc. at the VERY beginning (some short riffs/licks etc.)
then maybe some talking
then some more demonstrating of all the features etc.
I know right? I hate having to go through 5 minutes of blabbering to get to the actual demonstration.

I can't not buy Parker guitars.

My 9 string carbon fiber custom guitar

Author for HeavyBlogIsHeavy - http://www.heavyblogisheavy.com
Check out my solo project: NYN
Guitarist of Carthage
NaYoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #12
Banned

AySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to all
It is very frustrating.

Another thing that pisses me of is people who demo/review guitars with "clean" and "lead" with lead being a shitty gain 10, high 10, mid 0, low 10 mess, and clean being the same thing with no distortion. I'm always confused by these people. Amateur guitar players putting up reviews and demos, while being terrible players, in no position to be doing so. The alternative is a 50-something guitar store employee demoing a Chuck Schuldiner signature or something like that, and playing bluegrass on it.

BTW Explorer just wanted to say I would love to see you with a twitter account...
AySay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AySay View Post
BTW Explorer just wanted to say I would love to see you with a twitter account...
You might think you do, but you have no idea what you'd be opening yourself up for. This morning, I've already used Julius Caesar, second language acquisition, the Traveling Salesman problem, and more in explaining a few things I need done at work. You've seen the viewpoints I bring to SS.org.

Do you really want that kind of tweet every 20 minutes?

If so, here's something all my subordinates know by heart:

If you keep your expectations tiny
You'll go through life without being whiney.

It's good to be the king. *laugh*
Bigfan likes this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #14
Banned

AySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to allAySay is a name known to all
^

What I meant is that I'd love to see your attempts at condensing your usual..."wordy"...posts into 140 characters or less.
AySay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2011, 02:47 PM   #15
Vulcan Lute God

kung_fu is a name known to allkung_fu is a name known to allkung_fu is a name known to allkung_fu is a name known to all
Agree with OP. The same can be said of most "lessons" you find on youtube, as they tend to be simply someone showing off a flashy lick/idea with no explanation or thought, except instead of showing off technique they are showing off their expensive gear...but as you said they don't tend to spring for a good mic/camera.

David Warren Brubeck (December 6, 1920 – December 5, 2012)
kung_fu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #16
Bald and gribbly.

BigBaldIan is just really niceBigBaldIan is just really nice
Unfortunately, it appears to be the way of things these days. Even with the seemingly almighty power of search-engines at comsumers' fingertips, it seems that God-forbid actually researching a potential purchase has died. A lot of demos appear to have degenerated into a series of soundbites, which merely repeat the manufacturer's spec sheet with the occasional noodling. It's gotten to the point where demonstration and review are now apparently interchangeable terms.

One example I can find of a company trying to get it right is Blackstar. A simple setup with a scrolling graphic showing the settings used and no blathering.

Also agree with the whole "clean demo" and the tone being swamped in effects. Although it can be helpful to hear how an amp might sound in context, the consumer should be given the basic tonal palette to start with and not have matters clouded by effects.

"Sorry you dropped £xxxx on the new Super-vibe-deluxoverb and it wasn't quite what you imagined, you now need to spend £xxx on some bootique(sic) effects as well."

In summary, some of these Youtube posters should check the dictionary, learn and take to heart the difference between the words "review" and "demonstration". It'll save a load of hassle and wasted time.

Last edited by BigBaldIan; 07-26-2011 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Grammar.
BigBaldIan is offline   Reply With Quote