homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #1
SS.org Regular

noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/noob_pwn is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
So my band has been plagiarised

So I was told by one of our fans from another city that this other band had released a song that was ripping off one of my band's songs. I listened to it with an open mind and realised they had lifted one of the most recognisable riffs from our EP which came out about 18 months ago. The track in question was actually released as a demo before then in late 2009. I'm not sure whether to feel mad, flattered or just sorry for them? They are claiming they've never heard our track but they had us listed as an influence on their page until people started speaking up. It kinda sucks that you can work so hard on something and be proud of it, only to have someone else come along and shamelessly call it their own but it guess thats just how things are.

The original track (opening riff):

Their track (opening riff):
listen to "losing my mind"
The Evening | Facebook
noob_pwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 06-26-2011, 11:34 AM   #2
SS.org Regular

TheBotquax is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Whatever, they look like a bunch of high-school sceenie weenies anyway. I'm sure the metal gods will unleash their wrath on them in one way or another.
TheBotquax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #3
Loves his Q-tuners

Cheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to beholdCheesebuiscut is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Good thing they said they're changing it :P

also I enjoyed the song which is surprising to me since I haven't listened to anything that screamy in a while.
The Beard likes this.
Cheesebuiscut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:14 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Petal will become famous soon enough
1) That riff is dope.

2) You're recording sounds x10 better.

3) They look like bitches now that people are telling them off on their own facebook page
The Beard and Rook like this.
Petal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Really? Not a very original riff to start with it. I wouldn't lose much sleep over someone stealing ten seconds you stole from the deftones 10 years ago. Move on. As Lays says - crunch all you want, we'll make more.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Honestly, that riff could have been originally thought of from both parties.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Tr00f

matt397 is a glorious beacon of lightmatt397 is a glorious beacon of lightmatt397 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
Really? Not a very original riff to start with it. I wouldn't lose much sleep over someone stealing ten seconds you stole from the deftones 10 years ago. Move on. As Lays says - crunch all you want, we'll make more.
If your going to say shit like that then at least show some reference material, otherwise your simply talking through your ass. If your refering to White pony which came out 10 years ago, nothing on that album resembles either track in question.

Though If your stance on theft, intellectual property or physical, is to forget about it an move on then would you mind letting me browse through some of your gear ?
Korngod likes this.

Gsus died for your sins

Tell the people there's an invisible man in the sky that created the universe and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin
matt397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
ss.org Regular

RubenBernges is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
Honestly, that riff could have been originally thought of from both parties.
Honestly, that's what I'm thinking in a lot of cases of plagiarism
GSingleton likes this.
RubenBernges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
Sleep on, Fly on

GSingleton is just really niceGSingleton is just really nice
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
words of advice....shit happens. Just keep it real and continue shredding.

Music Facebook: www.facebook.com/grsingleton
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/gsingleton

Me:You could djent using a toothpick and aluminum foil.
Michael T: Aluminum + Djent = Alumidjent
Didn't Lace already do this....hmmmm
GSingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm always surprised when people are pissed when their riffs get stolen. Correct me if I'm wrong but we all strive to write the best riffs we can and then we're surprised when someone thinks that they are so good that they have to reuse them?

Purrrrleeeeeeease.

Be flattered if anything, I personally don't think it's something worth starting a thread over as it just makes it seem like you think "omg how could this possibly happen to me???" which is obviously a ridiculous mindset, whether that's what you actually think or not.

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 02:39 PM   #11
came and went

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
Your riff sounds great. Theirs is OK, but a little different. Wheather or not it is a "take" on yours is debatable(might very well be). I personally wouldn't even consider worrying about it, but then again I don't play for proffesional reasons anyway(unfortunately/fortunately). Even if the riffs were note for note, the differences of the other instruments and the slight nuancing changes that occur from one player to the next have a way of naturally differing the feel. I constantly hear big name metal bands playing riffs that IMO are definetly "takes" on classic(slayer, death, C.C., metallica, ect, ect) band's riffs.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #12
SS.org Regular

WhiteWalls is a jewel in the rough
Don't take it personally because i really like your song and i think you're good, but honestly, that beginning riff is not very creative and the idea behind it (chugging + dissonance) been done at least once by every metalcore/hardcore/deathcore band in the world.
If you were playing really original stuff i could see the point, but there are just so many metalcore bands around that ripping off riffs, consciously or not, has become ordinary, so i think you should either be flattered or not care at all.

The fact that the other band chose to modify it for their next release is a huge class act on their side, but it's not like they HAD to do it.
WhiteWalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
SS.org Regular

Quantumface is a jewel in the rough
write more creative riffs IMO
Quantumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #14
Heavy Noise

Brewtal_Damage will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I 2nd what The Armada posted above, the band I was previously with, wrote a song, recorded it, it was on their myspace page since 2006, Lamb of God released Sacrament, and one of their songs has a part with the same rythm pattern, who cares, I highly doubt LoG would had listened to the song and plagiarized the riff, you should have thought it was coincidence before plagiarism
Nile likes this.
Brewtal_Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #15
z o m b i e 1 3

Zombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud ofZombie13 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
I have this black metal side project (Morphesia) in which I wrote this cool intro riff/lead for a song.

Fast forward about a year, I discover Watain (never heard of them before) get super , then I listened to "Devil's Blood" SAME intro as mine....
Bigfan likes this.

Morphesia (Black Metal)
http://morphesia.bandcamp.com/
Squirrelly Arts (Industrial Metal)
http://www.facebook.com/SquirrellyArts
Zombie13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #16
Subhuman

Double A is a jewel in the rough
Honestly, besides the dissonance thing that every metal band does at one point or another, the riffs really are not the same at all. Are they similar? Yeah, but similar doesn't mean plagiarism at all.

Who needs bass players? If I wanted something to lay around and do nothing, I'd get a cat. -ArkaneDemon
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? He can't even trust his own pants!" -Morton
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:30 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

Xarn is a jewel in the rough
Stuff like this happens all the time, especially in a genre like the one your both playing in.

Architects have a similar riff as both these bands as well, not a very original riff in the first place so it shouldn't come as a surprise that someone else happens to come up with it.

0:20 in this song.
smarek88 likes this.

Mudpusher - Swedish Groove Metal

Follow us on YouTube

Like us on Facebook

Xarn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

shredguitar7 is just really niceshredguitar7 is just really nice
ive wasted enough time reading through this thread @ work and i feel i could have had enough time to do this ( 8=====D ~~~ ) instead...

Once more into the fray
Into the last good fight i'll ever know
Live and die on this day
Live and die on this day
shredguitar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:01 PM   #19
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That isn't really similar enough to be called plagarism. I do see where you're coming from though.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt397 View Post
If your going to say shit like that then at least show some reference material, otherwise your simply talking through your ass. If your refering to White pony which came out 10 years ago, nothing on that album resembles either track in question.

Though If your stance on theft, intellectual property or physical, is to forget about it an move on then would you mind letting me browse through some of your gear ?

Settle down, anger issues.

It's a derivative riff. There's a million versions by a million bands, including Deftones, Remembering Never, Glassjaw, Burn In Silence, ... you get the idea. It's metal, these things happen. There's gonna be a lot of bands with similar riffs.
K3V1N SHR3DZ likes this.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:01 PM   #21
ss.org Regular

Shaunheiser will become famous soon enough
I wonder if the first band that had a C-F-G progression got angry about it?
TheHandOfStone, Bigfan and jnukes2 like this.
Shaunheiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:08 PM   #22
EMPERORoftheUNIVERSE

K3V1N SHR3DZ is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
I wouldn't lose much sleep over someone stealing ten seconds you stole from the deftones 10 years ago.

/THREAD
K3V1N SHR3DZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #23
ss.org Regular

jack10110 will become famous soon enough
Every riff in both songs has probably been done by 1,000's of other bands anyway, try and write less generic songs if you don't want them to be stolen.
jack10110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:39 PM   #24
Chug Life

themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Horror chords - .... yeah! haha

themike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #25
ss.org Regular

Shaunheiser will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3m1ke View Post
Horror chords - .... yeah! haha
dun dun dundundundundun dun dun wee wee
Shaunheiser is offline   Reply With Quote