homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By UnderTheSign
  • 1 Post By 74n4LL0

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-04-2011, 04:21 AM   #1
ss.org Irregular

malufet is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Question Can you hand carry a guitar in the plane cabin?

It's gonna be my first time bringing a guitar with me back in asia and I was wondering if they allow a guitar inside the cabin? I don't want to check them in because I saw them throwing packages.
malufet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #2
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I've done this various times with a gig bag. They fit right in the overhead compartment or if you don't mind having it on your lap for a few hong hours.

Weird because this only applies to the international flights I've been on. Australian domestic flights classifies guitars as heavy baggage.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:29 AM   #3
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
KLM (Dutch airlines) offers you an extra seat or a seat with some more space if you're carrying an instrument for a 30 euro ($40-50) upcharge. Check with the airline company to make sure you can take it into the cabin.

SPEEDGURU - fuzz/doom/death
http://www.facebook.com/speedgurudoom
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:42 AM   #4
JP BFR Whore

Metalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of lightMetalus is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Ive taken it with me on flights countless times. I ask the stewardesses all the time to put it in the storage space behind first class where people put their baby carriages (American Airlines)
Metalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:18 AM   #5
SS.org Regular

Edika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of lightEdika is a glorious beacon of light
If you also have a reasonably sized hardcase there is no problem. When I carried around my Carvin with the molded hardcase I was even able to put it in the hand luggage compartments. However when I called an airline company to ask if I can put the Bc Rich jrV with the molded BC Rich case in the storage space behind the first class they said I had to buy another seat that would cost me 190 Euros extra. So I just didn't take the guitar hahahaha. The other way was to give it as regular luggage, but I don't trust the luggage monkeys to handle musical instruments.

No offense to workers in airports but they throw around luggage like they would throw around sacks of potatoes. Not to mention if you luggage goes "mysteriously" missing.

New songs from my band Semic Stains up at:

http://www.myspace.com/semicstains

Check 'em out!
Edika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #6
Archrocker

Kr1zalid is a jewel in the rough
No problem for me to put my guitar inside the overhead compartment~~ I'll just loosen the strings though in case if the pressure in the airplane would damage the guitar...

"You've heard djent, this is thrunnnggg and thrennnggg" - ixlramp on Blut Aus Nord's 777 sects album

God bless you all!! Cheers
- Kr1zalid -
Kr1zalid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Not So Kool-Aid

-One- is a jewel in the rough
What you could do, and what someone did on my flight back from Orlando a few weeks ago did, is take the guitar to your gate, and leave it plane-side once it boards, and it will be loaded manually, and much more carefully.

"I wonder if Kurt rolls his eyes everytime we come up with a new idea. 'Oh no. Not ss.org, again. NOW WHAT?'" - I_infect
"For all we know is some super bass wizard the likes of which hasn't been seen since Gandalf invented the bass." - heavy7-665
-One- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
ss.org Irregular

So they allow gig bags and hard case? I'm afraid bringing a gig bag they might not allow it and be force to check it in! lol

They really don't care about your baggage, They even manage to damage my friend's SKB case! Fist sized ding! Good thing the guitar was ok.
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:55 AM   #9
SS.org Regular

georg_f is a jewel in the rough
It depends on the Airline: At Air Berlin (this would be if you would be flying around in Europe) they let you take your guitar in a gigbag with you.
Maybe someone at the check in will get super nervous when they see you with your non-regulation sized bag, but then they hectically call someone and some minutes later they'll let you take it on the plane with you.

Yes, booking an extra seat for your guitar is also an option.

When coming along with a hard case you pretty much need to check it in.
georg_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:07 AM   #10
Stay Negative™

leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.leandroab is pretty much the man.
What I've heard is that if you have it inside a gig bag you are allowed to stow it inside the overhead compartments or inside the little closet/storage space for gate claim.

But if you have it inside a hard case, they'll try to check it as luggage... Although if it's small you can manage to talk into taking it inside with you.

is the new black

RIP PETER STEELE

Music:
* www.soundclick.com/leandroabaurre
*www.soundcloud.com/leandroab

Guitar projects:

*Baritone 6 Conversion

Quotes:
* ''
I intend them to .... them with the long cock of the law." - Trashmanzac
* "
I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." - metallisuk
"I'm a big fan of the effects of alcohol." - Peter Steele
leandroab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
I'm a robot...

74n4LL0 is a glorious beacon of light74n4LL0 is a glorious beacon of light74n4LL0 is a glorious beacon of light
I actually carried a bass with me, actually just the neck, the body was in the luggage
Dead Undead likes this.
74n4LL0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
Gegen England!

LamaSabachthani will become famous soon enough
Just carry it on with you and ask them to put it in the coatrack. I have done that every time I have transited from the US to the UK (I travel the route probably 2 or 3 times a year).
LamaSabachthani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #13
ss.org Regular

Luuk is just really niceLuuk is just really nice
Which airline are you flying with? You can take you guitar as handluggage for free with British Airways
Luuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #14
Taokaka BOOM!

asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/asher is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
For domestic US flights (I've done this a bunch, going from east-west coast) on Delta, United, and Jet Blue, gig bags are totally okay and either get stuck in an overhead or in a coat closet. I believe I also put my acoustic in a molded gig back in the overhead once, and I've seen people bring on molded hardcases without much issue. This past winter I also just straight-up checked my Soloist in my SKB case with TSA lock, and it went through with no issues at all.
asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
ss.org Irregular

Thanks for all your advices, I'll try to find the smallest and thinnest gig bag so they will be allowed. lol
Unread 04-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

rogrotten will become famous soon enough
I carried a 6 string bass in a gig bag without a problem, and I always carry my cymbals with me.
rogrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:03 PM   #17
Dovahkiin

TheGhunther is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I've carried on my guitar in a gig bag loads of times, they never batted an eye. I've only ever used a hardshell for it on the plane twice. Both times they allowed me to bring in inot the cabin, both times actually getting it in and out was a pain in the ass lol.
TheGhunther is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:14 PM   #18
Thundercrafter

Dead Undead is just really niceDead Undead is just really nice
Personally I'd sooner swim across the Pacific than deal with airlines, but they are sometimes a necessary evil.
There was a story about this somewhere... Ah, yes, Dave Carroll.
Story | Dave Carroll Music

In short, airline companies suck to deal with.
Dead Undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:17 PM   #19
ss.org Irregular

So just the guitar inside the gig bag? What about the cables and accessories?
Unread 04-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
Frets? What frets?

Varcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud ofVarcolac has much to be proud of
Taken an acoustic to Switzerland and back, and an èrhú back from China. Both were hand luggage, though the èrhú is a lot smaller than a guitar. I don't trust airport luggage monkeys with my instruments.

SchecterWhore: "Development, phase four. Beethoven
takes you for a ride through space in his Pontiac Trans Am."
Varcolac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #21
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Living in Spain for two years while my family lived in Bahrain lead me to travel about 3-4 times per year on longs scale flights. It all depends on the airline. Most of the time, they'll let you take it with you as hand luggage. I usually bring it in a gig bag and store it on the overhead compartments like everyone else. Some times, if you ask the flight attendants, they'll agree to put it in a small closet where they hang coats, purses, umbrellas, and stuff like that.

The only time they did not let me bring my guitar was when I traveled with Iberia. I called them before buying the ticket (which probably was a mistake... I should've just showed up with the guitar in my hands) and they told me that it would have to go with luggage.

That said, cases are usually troublesome when you want to bring them as hand luggage. But it really all boils down to which airline you're using.

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #22
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malufet View Post
So just the guitar inside the gig bag? What about the cables and accessories?
Best to keep cables and extras into your checkin baggage. Cables aren't visible through x-rays so you'll be pulling them out once you go through them. Anything else, don't bring it as hand carry just to be safe. My drummer got his electric tape confiscated as it was classified as a restraint.
Bloody_Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote