homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
SS.org Regular

gdbjr21 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Misha GW Column

Cool, Misha Mansoor has a column in Guitar World now.

GDBJR21
gdbjr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #2
/)'3'(\

ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.ittoa666 is the epitome of metal.
Really?

Ride the wings of death!

"Seriously... You DO NOT headbang with your knees" Murmel

ittoa666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #3
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Well played guitar world, well played.
You MIGHT get me to buy another issue now. Something I said would NEVER happen.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #4
SS.org Regular

Yup, just got my May issue today. Its called "The Djent Set" he covers the intro to "Buttersnips" this month.
Also a Nice Periphery Interview in the issue.

GDBJR21
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Which columnist did he replace?
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
SS.org Regular

Not sure who he replaced?

GDBJR21
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
GHETTO KING OF SWAG

The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.The Reverend is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
This is pretty interesting to me. I think Misha has an approach that the more mainstream guitar-playing community hasn't heard yet. Good for him

If you're going to 'like' my posts, give me some rep instead.

"
i just laughed at my own reflection, not sure if ugly or drunk" -Murmel

The Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

Universe74 is a glorious beacon of lightUniverse74 is a glorious beacon of lightUniverse74 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
Well played guitar world, well played.
You MIGHT get me to buy another issue now. Something I said would NEVER happen.
Ditto. I remember reading a letter from a subscriber saying the day he saw the column from the guitarists from Good Charlotte was the day he cancelled.
matt397 and Guitarman700 like this.
Universe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

ZackP3750 is just really niceZackP3750 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Talk about opening up the doors, kids are going to be incredibly exposed to this whole world of metal. ....ing win for Guitar World, I haven't bought an issue in probably 3 years but this just might bring me back
ZackP3750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe74 View Post
Ditto. I remember reading a letter from a subscriber saying the day he saw the column from the guitarists from Good Charlotte was the day he cancelled.
For me, it was the fact they were too busy sucking Metallica and Jimmy page's dicks to cover any really unique or progressive music. Every goddamn issue was Metallica or Led zeppelin. I love Zep, but it just got to be too much. I canceled a few years ago. Might buy an issue to check this out though.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:09 AM   #11
Banned

Valknut will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
Every goddamn issue was Metallica or Led zeppelin. I love Zep, but it just got to be too much.
Yeah everyone gets caught in this circle of 1) people getting tired of the old bands that layed the foundation for the music we listen to today taking up all the media exposure and spot lights that can be used to promote new bands that can take everything in a new direction that makes the music world less stagnant, 2) then people misinterpret others getting sick of hearing about old bands as disrespect, and think that people just don't know how much the old bands have inspired and helped the progress of newer musicians today even though we've all listened to the old bands into the dirt, 3) which makes everyone talk about how great all of the old musicians are EVEN MORE which keeps everyone from hearing about new bands and you get piles and piles of magazines with old bands all over it, which causes the whole thing to repeat all over again because you get even more tired of them.

I love led zeppelin, you love led zeppelin, we all love led zeppelin, but we already know everything there is to know about led zeppelin, because the band split up 30 or so years ago. Can we get some exposure on some other bands now? lol

I understand educating the youth about older bands is necessary so they can understand how important all of those old guys were to the music we listen to now, but damn dude are we doomed to go to some indie record store/coffee shop ran by beatnicks that spend more time shaping their facial hair than they do helping their customers dig through the piles of contemporary pop and industrial crunk core just to get our inside scoop on the new bands? haha

But its cool. I have the time to lurk around on the internet for my music news. It just sucks for people who like the convenience of a magazine i guess lol.
Valknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:27 AM   #12
Need more gain

Lukifer is a glorious beacon of lightLukifer is a glorious beacon of lightLukifer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Yaah for Bulb! I will definitely buy this issue!

Man I agree so much about GW!! You know Led Zep hasnt put out new material in how long but you still cover them so much. Ok dont misinterpret this, I respect Hendrix, but hes been dead for how many years and still gets articles??? You have modern bands like Periphery tearing it up, and so many current metal players get no respect and are animals!!! Wheres Tosin??? Shit even John Petrucci doesnt get much coverage!! But like you all I havent bought an issue in a few years
Lukifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:32 AM   #13
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Any of you actually read the magazine? Because I'd swear most of you haven't touched it in 6 years.

My subscription just ran out. I've seen Protest the Hero, Periphery, AAL, and tons of other bands getting covered. Articles on zeppeling, metallica, and all that other shit is few and far between. They've had regular columnists like Jeff Loomis.

Check the magazine out before you bash it.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:40 AM   #14
Need more gain

Lukifer is a glorious beacon of lightLukifer is a glorious beacon of lightLukifer is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I knew Loomis has a column. I admit I havent looked at one in probably two years so I have old info on my bashing. Ill get the new issue and re think my stance on it.
Lukifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
Any of you actually read the magazine? Because I'd swear most of you haven't touched it in 6 years.
Yep you totally called it. i haven't read the shit in ages. It is very cool that they are covering guys like loomis. Thanks for the heads up.
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:14 AM   #16
blood junkie

TRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to allTRENCHLORD is a name known to all
I agree with everyone so far. GW has made it a point to include articles on NILE,EMPEROR,DEATH,MASTADON,HIGH ON FIRE,CELTIC FROST, as well as many newer more up and coming bands. However, I'm very very sick of seeing so many of the same old rocknroll guitar gods that have been studied for decades get so many feature articles and covers. Everone knows how great of musicians guys like SRV, HENDRIX, LENNON, RHOADS and so on were/are. I hope guitar world will have faith that their reader/subscriber list will grow if they grow.
TRENCHLORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:37 AM   #17
Djackass

Curt is a jewel in the rough
I stopped caring about Guitar world back when the most promoted bands were Avenged Sevenfold, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, and Steve Vai.

Haven't bought one in 5 years, really.

I love Zep and Hendrix, and metallica was good until 96. but they just get far too much coverage for most stuff to really get any recognition to most guitarist or musicians in general.
AK DRAGON likes this.
Curt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 03:51 AM   #18
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'll try to look it up however it's a publication I leave well alone for the most part - I was a long-running purchaser in the 90's and there was an awful lot of dross in-between the covers at the time. I can't see that changing even if Misha is writing a column.....but I'll make the attempt to check it out at least
AK DRAGON likes this.

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 04:48 AM   #19
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Yeah, I've taken a look at it periodically, mostly to see what songs they have tabbed out to see if there's anything interesting. I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned the insane over Dimebagging they did for awhile. That's part of what turned me off of the magazine. I love the guy as much as anybody, but for christ sake let him die.
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 05:05 AM   #20
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattofvengeance View Post
Yeah, I've taken a look at it periodically, mostly to see what songs they have tabbed out to see if there's anything interesting. I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned the insane over Dimebagging they did for awhile. That's part of what turned me off of the magazine. I love the guy as much as anybody, but for christ sake let him die.
Shit. I know so many people who hate dimebag just because they didnt know who he was and the media talked about him so much after his death. The whole situation is just a tragedy. But yeah, I hope he has time to rest in peace for real now that everybody is done posting "RIP dime" on every pantera vid on youtube. but even now i feel like saying rip dime so i guess it will never end.
Unread 04-02-2011, 05:08 AM   #21
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
Sick, I have to buy this.

Now I just need to find somewhere in the UK that sells it... since all the UK branches of Borders went under it'll be tough, but it'll be worth it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 05:55 AM   #22
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valknut View Post
Shit. I know so many people who hate dimebag just because they didnt know who he was and the media talked about him so much after his death. The whole situation is just a tragedy. But yeah, I hope he has time to rest in peace for real now that everybody is done posting "RIP dime" on every pantera vid on youtube. but even now i feel like saying rip dime so i guess it will never end.
I live in Arlington, within walking distance of his house, and I hang out in Dallas all the time. It will never end, of that I am sure.
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 06:02 AM   #23
progressive insanity

IAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucketheadRules View Post
Sick, I have to buy this.

Now I just need to find somewhere in the UK that sells it... since all the UK branches of Borders went under it'll be tough, but it'll be worth it.
WHsmith
IAMLORDVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 06:50 AM   #24
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMLORDVADER View Post
WHsmith
Ah yes! Conveniently forgot they existed for a minute there. There's even a branch on my local high street, it's a small one though so I don't know if it'll be there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #25
Tr00f

matt397 is a glorious beacon of lightmatt397 is a glorious beacon of lightmatt397 is a glorious beacon of light
I know this was covered in another thread but I love how every single guitar world I've ever purchased has had something about Metallica or Nirvana including this months edition. Good to see Periphery blowin up though and good to see Misha doing a column.

Gsus died for your sins

Tell the people there's an invisible man in the sky that created the universe and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin
matt397 is offline   Reply With Quote