homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By adb
  • 2 Post By ArrowHead
  • 2 Post By gunshow86de
  • 2 Post By Alberto7
  • 2 Post By JamesM
  • 1 Post By SirMyghin
  • 2 Post By groph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-21-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Happy Metal

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Awesome guitar store story

I'm not entirely sure if this belongs here but it's worth a shot

------

I wander into a guitar store and am met by a very nice sales representative who wants to know if there's anything in particular I'm looking for.

"Yeah, I was wondering what you guys had in the way of extended range guitars"

Guy looks at me, peers really hard, scratches his head and finally says

"I uh...am not familiar with that term. What is that?"

"Oh, you know, like seven strings, eight strings"

He finally sees the light and leads me over to an Ibanez RG Prestige 8, which I actually happened to like very much. As he hands it down to me, he also imparts some wisdom:

"You know, my son plays a seven string. He is very involved in metal music and stuff like that."

I see something on the other side of the store and decide to try my fortune

"Hey man, I'm gonna go check out that hollowbody over there real quick, would you mind tuning the eight string up for me real quick?"

Suddenly his face goes from being quite pleasant to something that can only be described as horror-stricken, as if I had pulled out and executed a chicken before his very eyes.

"Well you see, I uh..I don't know what notes I'm tuning to for ya here..."

"Oh?"

I look at him inquisitively

"Yeah um, I'm in an AC/DC cover band..."

It took everything within me to not just die with laughter right there.

When I started playing the guitar, he looked at me with further curiosity.

"You are not playing metal music!" he said with such conviction that I was worried it would hurt him

"Yeah this is 'All Blues' actually"

"Is that a band?"

Legendary...
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-22-2011, 12:58 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

etcetera is a jewel in the rough
Hahaha, glorious. At least he was just bewildered, and didn't give you the dick treatment I expected.
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 01:06 AM   #3
adb
Banned

adb can only hope to improve
last time I went to Guitar Center to try out a 7 string the rep was wearing a Venom shirt
CrushingAnvil likes this.
adb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 01:41 AM   #4
SS.org Regular

edsped is just really niceedsped is just really nice
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Well alright then.
edsped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 12:42 PM   #5
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Wow, he tried to be supportive and honest, and your reaction is condescension. Cool story. Someday, 20 years from now, pray you're not that guy.
Bigfan and Sollesnes like this.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #6
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
vhmetalx and Stealth7 like this.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #7
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
Wow, he tried to be supportive and honest, and your reaction is condescension. Cool story. Someday, 20 years from now, pray you're not that guy.
This. It sounds like he was being nothing but helpful and honest; however a little ignorant, but an honest man, nonetheless.

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
YOU SURE SHOWED HIM
groph and Guitarman700 like this.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
Tr00f

matt397 is a glorious beacon of lightmatt397 is a glorious beacon of lightmatt397 is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"Hey man, I'm gonna go check out that hollowbody over there real quick, would you mind tuning the eight string up for me real quick?"
I confused. Your fingers broken or somethin ? For christs sake, I've never picked up a guitar in a shop an had it be in tune, its the first thing I check an the first thing I do to a guitar Im checking out.
But yeah cool story, way to put that guy in his place !

Gsus died for your sins

Tell the people there's an invisible man in the sky that created the universe and the vast majority believe you. Tell them the paint is wet and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin
matt397 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto7 View Post
This. It sounds like he was being nothing but helpful and honest; however a little ignorant, but an honest man, nonetheless.
Gotta agree here, instead of trying to perpetuate a better image for extended rangers (which would help eliminate stigma) you try to put him out of his area. I am sure that will do wonders for how he looks at people picking up those instruments.
Bigfan likes this.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #11
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of

This is totally at OP's expense.

Funny story though, but yeah at least the sales rep wasn't all like

I HATE those people. Anybody who cringes when somebody suggests that a guitar can be tuned lower than Drop D needs to golf off, seriously. At least the guy directed you towards an 8 string. I guess by applying basic guitar tuning skills he could have tuned it just fine, but let's face it. 8 strings are in a tiny minority, so maybe he was thinking it was in a strange open tuning or something nonstandard. Maybe he didn't know what you wanted it tuned to?
Bigfan and Treeunit212 like this.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #12
Banned

NovaReaper is a jewel in the rough
Here's a better guitar store story:

>Go to shop, trade in an old Les Paul doublecutaway (one of the really cheap ones) that i never play anymore
>Buy an Epiphone Sheraton II with the money from the other guitar
>Sales rep has same taste in guitars as me
>Talk about gear and jam for an hour and a half

No one was insulted in the process either. Wow huh?
NovaReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:32 PM   #13
Happy Metal

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
Wow, this was not at all the kind of backlash I was expecting.

I do not mean to bag on this guy for his lack of knowledge or for being a jerk (because he was a really nice), it's just the lines he chose to deliver and the timing of them (such as telling me he was in an AC/DC cover band as an explanation for not being able to tune the 8 string) were just comedy gold. Furthermore, his earnest and brow-furrowed references to "metal music" were something I thought everyone here would find commonly amusing as the metal community tends to fall under this realm of mystery for seemingly everyone outside of it.

Again, I'm sorry everyone here is so upset and thinks that I kept this man up late at night shaking his fist at "those extended range guitarists", but I think you're all interpreting this as a whole lot more malicious than it really was.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 06:36 PM   #14
SS.org Regular

CrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of light
Cool story Bro
CrownofWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #15
Gegen England!

LamaSabachthani will become famous soon enough
Not so sure I see what was so malicious. Perhaps some of the commentary was a bit hyperbolic, but alas. Not as if he said 'this tool didn't know what I was talking about'.

I always like talking to the older guys at music stores. They usually have some interesting stories about how they managed to stay in retail for so long. Not that I'm trying to get down on them - I think it's cool that they enjoy music and guitars that much that they literally make it their life's work.

LamaSabachthani is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #16
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Wow, this was not at all the kind of backlash I was expecting.

I do not mean to bag on this guy for his lack of knowledge or for being a jerk (because he was a really nice), it's just the lines he chose to deliver and the timing of them (such as telling me he was in an AC/DC cover band as an explanation for not being able to tune the 8 string) were just comedy gold. Furthermore, his earnest and brow-furrowed references to "metal music" were something I thought everyone here would find commonly amusing as the metal community tends to fall under this realm of mystery for seemingly everyone outside of it.

Again, I'm sorry everyone here is so upset and thinks that I kept this man up late at night shaking his fist at "those extended range guitarists", but I think you're all interpreting this as a whole lot more malicious than it really was.
Just goes to show how hard it is to convey tone on the internet I suppose.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #17
SS.org Regular

theclap is a jewel in the rough
OMG the ending killed me! that was so epic that he not only didn't know how to tune a guitar, no knowledge in 2 realms of genres, metal and jazz. Was this a franchise store like sam ash or guitar center?

Yeah, I'm in a band.
theclap is offline   Reply With Quote