homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #1
ss.org Regular

hxcdeathcore will become famous soon enough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ever had tough stuck up band mates?

Ever had this problem? I brought in some riffs one day for some songs and he said they all sucked because they weren't as good as Lamb of God.
And we tried out a bassist, and he fit all of our standards but our vocalist said no to bringing him in because he was wearing a blink 182 shirt. Anybody else have these kinds of problems with band mates? And you can surely know that I have left that band awhile ago.

Go now, that guitar's not gonna shred itself.
hxcdeathcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-10-2011, 06:43 PM   #2
Intrepid Jackass

Demiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to allDemiurge is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcdeathcore View Post
Ever had this problem? I brought in some riffs one day for some songs and he said they all sucked because they weren't as good as Lamb of God.
Just tell him that his riffs suck because they're not as good as Fergie's.
MABGuitar and Jonathan20022 like this.

"I like Christian rock. It's very positive. It's not like those real musicians who think they're so cool and hip." -George Costanza
Demiurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:15 PM   #3
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Fergie writes the best ....ing riffs.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:18 PM   #4
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
95 percent of musicians I know are stuck up a little.

The stuff you described (the blink shirt scenario) just sounds like the guy is a douche.
DLG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
He seldomly knows...

Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.Explorer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You did call the bass player and ask him to be part of the nucleus of your new band, right?
Nimgoble likes this.

If you don't care enough to research your own question, why should anyone else care more?

"Pay no attention to his long winded posts... (Explorer) seldomly knows what he's talking about." Adam Of Angels

"Actual knowledge and a google bookmark are very different things." Anonymous neg-repper
Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:23 PM   #6
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
For the record, Blink 182 kicks ....in' ass. Anyone who says otherwise has very little validity as far as I'm concerned.
JamesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
The Minotaur

Meatbucket is just really niceMeatbucket is just really nice
I just got out of one of these scenarios. My best buddy (who is also an epic vocalist) and I were jamming with and old bassist friend of my buddy's. He turned out to be a humongous arrogant, racist asshole that thought he was the shit at bass, when, truth be told, wanted to play music like a shitty Mudvayne, which he still couldn't do!

I give him credit for having a Carvin bass though, couldn't use it at all though. He also straight called my best buddy fat. Rule #1, you NEVER EVER call Dave fat. EVER. He maybe a little pudgy but you don't EVER do it or you are no longer a person.

We don't communicate with that guy anymore.

When asked to write stuff for him to play, he couldn't play along and would always ask for simpler things. When he would say to play along with something of his, I would come up with four or five different styles and each one he would say are crap and too complex, so I'd just end up following his exact, boring lines. When I would ask to tweek it just a little to make it sound kinda cool, I'd get this response: "Well I mean, I wrote this, I want it to be like this." I can completely understand that, but just a few minor tweeks to make it really sound cool to give it that WOW factor.

So all in all: arrogant, racist, nonflexible douche that can't play bass very well but thinks he does.

[Infinity Complex] 12:39 am: i hate you, meat.
---------------------------------------------
[Razzy] 11:50 am: I'd so suck her penis.
[Razzy] 11:51 am: I typed that without thinking. I apologize.
---------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/TheMinotaurMeatbucket
Meatbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
SS.org Regular

JoeyBTL is a jewel in the rough
if thats how hes acting, its not good.
get out now or get him out quickly. it won't end well.
JoeyBTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #9
SS.org Regular

ascender is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've dealt with some serious clowns in my day.

For instance ... when I was playing with my now former band, the other guitar player was a complete control freak about song writing. If I brought a new riff to the table that he didn't like, that riff was cut. No matter who else was digging on it. It could've been everyone versus him on a riff, but it was instantly shot to shit if he didn't like it. However, if the rolls were reversed and he brought one that I wasn't quite into, he would flip. Direct quote from one scenario ... "Well, agree to disagree I suppose. I wrote it. So no matter what, we're using it whether you like it or not. I write riffs, and I intend to use them." He was ultimately the reason I quit the band a SECOND time. The first time was because of a third guitar player we had with the same exact ego. Then we tried to reconcile with just two players. That didn't turn out so well, because even though the first problem person was gone, apparently he forgot his attitude when he left.

That's just one of the situations I've dealt with. I seriously could go on for days about all the self-centered and/or stuck up bandmates I've played with.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Just don't bother, being in a band is great, but you don't want it to be a stress inducer. Pick up the bassist and move on.

aka Explorer wins.

Can we get an edit on the thread title to 'have you ever been in a band'.
Encephalon5 likes this.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:31 PM   #11
SS.org Regular

CrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of lightCrownofWorms is a glorious beacon of light
Hmmmmmm, sounds like you have a Axl Rose in your band....in other words Douche
CrownofWorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #12
ss.org Regular

krypter has a spectacular aura about
its taken me a ridiculous amount of time to get this band together, but i'm 100% comfortable with it because everyone is totally rad.

Best advice? Find people you can get along with. You can always improve technically, but not personally.

In other words, i would rather teach someone to play better and know we all get along, than have someone who is Vai incarnate but a total douchenozzle.
krypter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #13
Whisper into nose

Asrial is just really niceAsrial is just really nice
I'm not a member of a band per se, but since I study music on B-level, I got a school-band.

Every single time we pick a new song to play, we got the front dude who is a prick by the way, who ONLY listens to and plays pop and soft rock, who picks some random shiz. We got two female vocalists who adorns him and his musical taste, the chill giant who likes his stuff but is meh over all, and then comes me and my buddy who just wants to play good music.

I suggested last time, that we should play bulls on parade, because it's a known song, it's not that hard, Peter, my buddy, could rap the text flawlessly, and it's just a great song to play overall.
"What the ...., we can't be arsed with your death metal. Go back playing your sevenstring..."
LOLWAT

And then we proceed to play a song by... Pink...
Only upside was headbanging vigurously while playing bass, against Peter on the cowbell.
cwhitey2 likes this.

The Asrial Project Bandcamp
The Asrial Project Soundcloud
The Asrial Project Twitter
The Asrial Project Facebook

JeffFromMtl: Anyone who says sex is over-rated is doing it wrong.
I don't care how good your stupid toffee brioche pudding is.
Myself: Han shot first
Asrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
Deftones Guru.

BrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to beholdBrainArt is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypter View Post
its taken me a ridiculous amount of time to get this band together, but i'm 100% comfortable with it because everyone is totally rad.

Best advice? Find people you can get along with. You can always improve technically, but not personally.

In other words, i would rather teach someone to play better and know we all get along, than have someone who is Vai incarnate but a total douchenozzle.
This. All of this.

Member of the Injustice League with Pooluke41, Jakke and -42.

I am Poi; The Ipu pounding, Ukulele shredding rapey clown, who ruins childhood dreams of balloon animals!
BrainArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #15
Whitechapel

Doomcreeper is a jewel in the rough
It's funny I had an old band but the singer and drummer each had an attitude, now my new band a year later ended up being started with the same bassist because we still wanted to make the same kinda music and still worked really well. Now our drummer lives out of town so we can't jam as often, but it's worth it because of the people. I don't think i could be in a band where someone had that much of an attitude, especially after how our previous band went. I agree with Krypter, it might take a while, but finding the right people is worth it.
Doomcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:20 AM   #16
Brown note

heilarkyguitar is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Just take control if think your band has the shot. If not .... it move on. Call blink and jam .
heilarkyguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #17
Ex Whiny Bitch

Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.Scar Symmetry is a happy camper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMyghin View Post
Just don't bother, being in a band is great, but you don't want it to be a stress inducer. Pick up the bassist and move on.

aka Explorer wins.

Can we get an edit on the thread title to 'have you ever been in a band'.
If your band doesn't stress you out then you are definitely doing it wrong

A balance of pros and cons is a good sign

What happened to Jeff? Funny how he dropped off the radar now that the entire Western world disagrees with his right wing bullshit.
Scar Symmetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #18
SS.org Regular

Kali Yuga has a spectacular aura about
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I'm the dickhead in most of my bands.
johnythehero likes this.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 08:25 AM   #19
///M

Saber_777 is a jewel in the rough
I used to be one but I grew up... Yeah, the bassist I have playing with my band now is in love with Cage the Elephant (They came out near where we live. But what the hey, he can slap like no man and hes really good, and doesnt use a pic. As long as we have a good time, I dont much care what we listen to. I remember that I was in a band with... 7 people. Then we had this bright ass idea to cover Psychosocial (I grew out of this), I learned it. No one else did. Then I got a little upset, and they kept doing it with different songs, thats why its just me and another bassist and guitarist. Dont let them bring you down, dont worry about image either, its the music that is important. Drop the dick or get past it? I used to be one of those guys that had to have everything a certain way. It'll usually grow out, espically when they realize they need what they or you have to offer
Deathcore props from me.
Saber_777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Teh Groove Metuhl

Taylor is a name known to allTaylor is a name known to allTaylor is a name known to allTaylor is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Surprisingly, I didn't have to deal with stuck up band mates.

Then I left the band because I didn't like the music.

Then they got a bit of a fan base.

And now they're stuck up.

At least 5/6 are anyways.

TG Audio

Good rates, good returns.
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
I even lift.

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
To be fair, I wouldn't let anyone in a Blink-182 shirt in my band either.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #22
Doc McStuffins

USMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to allUSMarine75 is a name known to all
My first band... the bassist kicked the other guitarist out, who was his best friend. He wanted me out because all he listened to was Exodus, SOD, and Danzig... he thought if you listened to anything else you were a poser. He stopped listening to Metallica when the Black album came out because they sold out. He stopped listening to Testament because they wrote ballads. He kicked the singer out because he listened to multiple genres including classic rock and pop. He wanted me out because I refused to just play only chromatic galloping riffs... every time I'd play a chord that wasn't E dim he would cringe... Eventually, I got tired and left... Pretty soon the band was just him and the drummer. Now they're just old fat stoner hippies...

I'm a lover… Not a fighter... But I'm also a fighter, so don’t get any ideas.
USMarine75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #23
SS.org Regular

Krullnar is a jewel in the rough
If someone auditions in a blink 182 shirt, that's grounds for immediate disqualification. I don't care how nice you are, that bassist has to move on. I don't see how that's being mean, that's just common sense.

edit:

Second thoughts about that. It's possible the shirt was a gift, and it has sentimental value.

I'd ask, and if not, then move on.
Ryan-ZenGtr- likes this.
Krullnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #24
Banned

Joeywilson is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
For the record, Blink 182 kicks ....in' ass. Anyone who says otherwise has very little validity as far as I'm concerned.
+6 and a half million at least.
Joeywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 11:36 AM   #25
Dr.Poopyalligator

poopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to beholdpoopyalligator is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcdeathcore View Post
And we tried out a bassist, and he fit all of our standards but our vocalist said no to bringing him in because he was wearing a blink 182 shirt.

I am wearing a blink 182 shirt right now. I would be out of your band lol.

My main setup:
Ibanez uv7bk green dot, Engl fireball 60, genz benz g flex 2x12.
poopyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote