homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #26
Not your bro, bro.

Treeunit212 is just really niceTreeunit212 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Good bassists are hard to come by. Period.

My band of about three years now has had three. The first was a cool guy and all, just didn't fit in with the sound/style we were going for. The second couldn't even play bass and was more of a networker of sorts. He ended up picking a fight with KING, and then stole $300 from us. Our current bassist is still in highschool, but can actually play and keep up with the material .

In order for a band to work, there needs to be a lot of common ground and everyone has to be on the same page with everything. Otherwise, problems will arise and you won't get along with each other. My drummer is a whole-nother level of arrogant asshole, but that's just the way he is. We all give each other plenty of shit, but we all understand that nothing is actually meant.

It's a lot like a committed relationship, really... Except there's no awesome makeup sex.

...Usually.

"Far best is he who knows all things himself; Good, he that hearkens when men counsel right;
But he who neither knows, nor lays to heart another's wisdom, is a useless wight." -Aristotle

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bury-T...app_2405167945
http://www.reverbnation.com/burythecreator
Treeunit212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 03-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #27
ss.org Regular

krypter has a spectacular aura about
One can only assume this bassist showed up to a metal band try-out wearing a B182 shirt......
which means he has either a righteously good sense of humor, or balls the size of a buffalo.

Or, he just likes what he likes. In any case i'd say showing up in that kind of shirt is grounds for immediate approval. Good for him being comfortable in what he likes, and actually knowing how to play his instrument. Let the elitist pricks cock fight over who has the most underground shirt collection, and take the dudes who can play, and that you can hang out with.

Hell, that's the most important part of it all. When i look around on stage i don't want to see a bunch of guys i detest, i want to look around and say ".... yea man" and be just as proud of my friends as i am of myself.
krypter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #28
SS.org Regular

GalacticDeath is a jewel in the rough
Yep that's been the case in just about all the bands I've been in. That's why I started my own band, now I get to be the ego maniacal douchebag. lol
GalacticDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #29
Wound tight

Nimgoble is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypter View Post
Or, he just likes what he likes. In any case i'd say showing up in that kind of shirt is grounds for immediate approval. Good for him being comfortable in what he likes, and actually knowing how to play his instrument. Let the elitist pricks cock fight over who has the most underground shirt collection, and take the dudes who can play, and that you can hang out with.
This. Glad someone finally said it. Who gives a shit what bands a person likes as long as they're competent with their instrument, fit in with what you're trying to do and get along with you?
ZEBOV likes this.
Nimgoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 10:21 PM   #30
ss.org Regular

4String will become famous soon enough
Yup. Anyone who has been in a band HAS had these problems. I remember when I used to be in a band and we couldn't write anything "Satanic" which wasn't even satanic, it was just suggestive. Ya feel me?

Musician? I have some twitter updates you might be interested in

http://www.twitter.com/RetroMonster
4String is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #31
Dog Sized Bird

PyramidSmasher is a glorious beacon of lightPyramidSmasher is a glorious beacon of lightPyramidSmasher is a glorious beacon of light
I knew this kid who could SHRED at a young age. He could alt pick like a pro, sweep fast, tap like a G, everything, and at like age 13 or 14. He wouldn't play anything that wasn't "Progressive Metal" (90% of which he claimed wasnt progressive) which to him meant he would only play music with stolen PTH riffs, and get PISSED when we accused him of stealing them. He's like "THESE ARE SO ORIGINAL". Then when he was over once he got to play with Dirk from Soilwork and is like "I dont even like Soilwork", and dismissed the whole situation. He's since gone to making these horrific recordings where he puts his Line 6 spider through an m-audio fast track and just kind of endlessly sweep picks out of time with 0 rhythm or flow. He's wasted any talent he had.

Misery Signals for life
PyramidSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 04:26 PM   #32
Melowiddler

DaveCarter is a name known to allDaveCarter is a name known to allDaveCarter is a name known to allDaveCarter is a name known to all
As stated before, you can always improve at your instrument if you work hard enough, but people dont change. If its not working out from day one then it probably wont long term either, you're best off getting a band of good friends together and not taking it too seriously. Ive been in plenty of bands that took themselves far too seroiusly, and met some complete douches along the way, but the band I enjoy the most is the side-project that I have with one of my best mates. His guitar playing has improved a lot since we started jamming so we can now play tech metal together, and we still have a great time every time we jam. Its supposed to fun, so keep it that way

UK Guitar Teacher and Session Guitarist

DaveCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #33
SS.org Regular

sleepy502 is a jewel in the rough
Basically every metal musician I've come across has a general problem whether you can work with it or not. Being "metal as ...." and "not caring about what anybody thinks" are not the attitudes you bring to the jam space. The latter definitely applies when I'm trying to teach you how to EQ an amp, and full bass full gain with a distortion pedal in front isn't "good tone".

Also, there is a fine line between being in a band and being a musician. I find I have troubles with singers, as they don't really "sing" and don't understand the time required to become proficient at an instrument. Now if you've spent half your life in conservatory with the grades to prove it, you can be a prick about certain things, but if you don't, keep your mouth shut
sleepy502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #34
ss.org Regular

hxcdeathcore will become famous soon enough
Yup, I've been out of that band. I got one of my really good friends and we've been jamming for a while now and we always have a good time Nd write some awesome stuff. Lesson learned.

Go now, that guitar's not gonna shred itself.
hxcdeathcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 09:41 PM   #35
SS.org Regular

ArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of lightArkaneDemon is a glorious beacon of light
I've only had one stuck up band member since I started playing music. It was SO long ago. I met this dude in summer school English class by accident and he's like "so let's start a black metal band, I know a drummer" so I said sure why not. Like four months later we actually started the band. The guy played bass and we were working on two songs then. We got to the next song and he kept playing really weaksauce quarter notes which sounded very dull because he could do better. So I say "can't you just follow the guitar's eighth note triplet feel?" And he said he doesn't want to because it's too much effort.

Me and the drummer gave him an ultimatum of 'start showing interest in this band and put effort into it or gtfo' and he gtfo'd. He said it was too much effort to practice bass because he was busy talking to his girlfriend and studying for school (that last one was a lie since he rarely studied anyways).

I still talked to him after we kicked him out but he didn't want to have to do much with me or the drummer after that. Eventually I had a heated msn fight with him over stupid shit how he should hate us because his friends think that we kicked him out wrongfully and how we're assholes and whatever, and then he started saying how we didn't kick him out but rather that he left, and all this other stupid shit, and it ended up with him never talking to me ever again, which started on New Year's day last last year. Talk about an inflated ego.

He went on to create a drone project which lasted like a day, which ended up producing a long ass song where it's just the same two notes for over five minutes and it was in MIDI on MySpace, and he kept saying how he was waiting for a band of his friends from a neighbouring city to move to our city so he can join them.

Basically it makes no sense.
ArkaneDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 09:37 AM   #36
SS.org Regular

Jontain is just really niceJontain is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I know people that would give people some 'shit'/banter over wearing a blink shirt, also cant picture those people wanting to be in a band with a blink fan, however this is more because their musical tastes will be different (which is a shocker! lol). For the most part though I think if a band is made up of people with very different influences the results can be amazing.

However your examples sound like people who are in that band ar so for the image and not making music. Too many people seem to think their opinion is always worth more than the next person along, people like this wont work in a band unless your happy doing everything THEY want to do.
Jontain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #37
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontain View Post
I know people that would give people some 'shit'/banter over wearing a blink shirt, also cant picture those people wanting to be in a band with a blink fan, however this is more because their musical tastes will be different (which is a shocker! lol). For the most part though I think if a band is made up of people with very different influences the results can be amazing.

However your examples sound like people who are in that band ar so for the image and not making music. Too many people seem to think their opinion is always worth more than the next person along, people like this wont work in a band unless your happy doing everything THEY want to do.

I agree, bands with mixed influences are the most fun by far. You don't have any preconceptions of what the song will be when it is done, as you all have your own vision. The end product is typically immense. Metals bands seem to be more interested in 'hey we need people to achieve X sound', than lets have some fun and see what comes out though, actually and unfortunately most bands are.. period.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 12:03 PM   #38
Talk To DeWalt

jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.jymellis is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcdeathcore View Post
I brought in some riffs one day for some songs and he said they all sucked
if a band member ever said that to me about something i created i would beat his fookin eyes shut
jymellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:07 PM   #39
SS.org Regular

Krullnar is a jewel in the rough
Riffs are just riffs. Don't be mean if you don't think someone's riffs are no good. Better yet, pretend you like them. Be nice! How would you feel if someone said your riffs sucked?

If you think something sucks, that's your fault. Nothing sucks if you have the right attitude! If someone puts it out there, there must be some merit to it. No judging!

Blink 182 is a fine, fine rock band. I especially like the songs about parents not understanding your skateboard tricks at the mall.

See? That's not so hard, is it.
Krullnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #40
Iraq Lobster.

synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.synrgy is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Instead of pointing the finger another way, I'm gonna turn it on myself and say I'm kind of a pain in the ass to work with.

The other guitar player in my band likes to start most of his phrases on the 'and' instead of on the 1. This drives me absolutely ....ing bonkers, and I let him know as much every time he does it.

"And over here, our bass player, the Duke of Spook, the Doc of Shock, The Man with No Tan, please say hello to Death himself, the Grim Reaper!"
synrgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #41
Despises crabcore.

redskyharbor is a jewel in the rough
It's pretty much just the guys who take themselves way too seriously and put on the diva attitude who are annoying. They don't just don't gel with anyone. I've never actually been in a real band, 'cause there isn't really many musicians who want to do anything fresh and different, because the current fad is metalcore and Avenged Sevenfold cover bands. But personally I think the moment the focus moves from the music onto the bands "image" and when certain individuals get their ego on seems to be the point where they lose all credibility as musicians. It's not about what t-shirt you're wearing.
redskyharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #42
SS.org Regular

traditional will become famous soon enough
With bands, it really comes down to your ability to give a little and take a little.
My band are like brothers, we all get along really well and can hang out easily outside of practice, shows, etc. They do, however, have little 'ticks' that tend to annoy others but it's all about getting past them.
For instance, the other guitarist often subconsciously makes riffs easier between practices - if it's an string skipping alternate picking riff he'll replace two 16th notes with one 8th note. He doesn't do it intentionally, so it's forgiveable, but it's just painful when it comes up in the studio haha.
traditional is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #43
Smeller of Smells

SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.SenorDingDong is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Yeah I did, we kicked him out two songs into a gig, told him on the Mic in front of everyone there, and called on stage our replacement rhythm guitarist... Needless to say we out douche-bagged him.
SenorDingDong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #44
Banned

ZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to allZEBOV is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
When auditioning (bass) for a metal band, I made the following joke when we took a break: Let's do a Nickelback cover! *got on the drums and played the world's most simple drum beat at about 45bpm.*
They couldn't take a Nickelback joke, so I didn't get the cut.
ZEBOV is offline   Reply With Quote