homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Famous badass guitarists living in Texas

Kesha is performing at my university, and rumor has it, it cost the school $100,000 to do so. I've started a guitar club here and was hoping that for semester's big performance, we could get somebody to play for us. I figure if SMU is willing to spend that much for Kesha, they could probably pitch just a little bit for a guitarist since they usually fund student organizations like that. I'll probably drive them to Dallas myself!

The only ones coming to mind are:

Rusty Cooley in Houston
Ron Jarzombek in San Antonio

Know of any others?
Thep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 01-03-2011, 05:00 PM   #2
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thep View Post
Kesha is performing at my university, and rumor has it, it cost the school $100,000 to do so.
Wut?

Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:04 PM   #3

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Scott Stine.

He was playing for a church in Plano, Texas. Not sure if he still lives there or not.

EDIT:
How did your university get Ke$ha to come play and why?
lol.

Contact.
http://www.scottstine.com/contact/contact.php

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
Blast & Sweep

Thep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to allThep is a name known to all
^^ No doubt a killer guitarist, but not famous enough me thinks.

As for Kesha, I must admit that I'm a bit excited. .... you all, you're just jealous. I like Kesha so what? .... you. I'm more metal than you anyway.
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:11 PM   #5

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Quote:

As for Kesha, I must admit that I'm a bit excited. .... you all, you're just jealous. I like Kesha so what? .... you. I'm more metal than you anyway.
I was just wondering why?

What about Derek Taylor he lives in Dallas?

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
Wut?

That's actually not bad, considering how popular she is.

Not to mention, the school will probably make twice that in tickets and concessions.

Also, not to be a negative nancy, but I doubt you're going to find a lot of people who know who Rusty or Ron are. Even a lot of guitarists have no clue who Jarzombek is, and most just no Cooley as "that fast YouTube guy". There's a difference between "famous" and "famous in small circles".

Need help with setting up a trem?
Need info on your Ibby?
Live in Milwaukee? Please feel free to message me.

New Rules. Read Them.
MaxOfMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:16 PM   #7
Blast & Sweep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
I was just wondering why?

What about Derek Taylor he lives in Dallas?
Another very badass player I've previously never heard of, but still not that famous...
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.MaxOfMetal has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Thep, you might want to look into all these guitarists you've never heard of. While they might not fill stadiums (remember, neither Ron nor Rusty do either), they might have a big cult following. I've heard Derek Taylors named mentioned several times in the past.

I think getting all the guitarists you can is a good thing. Typically, the less heard of guys will be more flexible and cheaper. Heck, some might do a performance for free just to get their name out and wrangle a few students (teaching is how a lot of these guys make a living).

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Blast & Sweep

Wise words Max...I think I may have been little bit delusional, and you're absolutely right.

Just out of curiosity, did Derek Trucks come in to mind when you thought of Derek Taylor? Cuz that is what I thought initially and I was excited but after googling was wrong.
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:29 PM   #10
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Eric Johnson and Andy Timmons still live around here?

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:30 PM   #11
My name isn't Tim

timbaline is a jewel in the rough
Billy Gibbons.... I have no idea if he still lives there
Eric Johnson
The guys from Scale the Summit

Silence is broken...
timbaline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #12
Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator

Admitting, I never heard of Derek really outside of a couple forums, but in the last couple years his name has always come up here and there.

He's a great player, and was on the Shrapnel label with a lot of other great guitarists. He's certainly not famous, but if you mention the Shrapnel part to a lot of guitarists their ears tend to peak up, as that's usually an indicator of amazing chops.

I think you should rethink the idea, not just let it go. Get a few guys who are very not-famous, such as Derek and see if they'd be willing to perform for free. I know a lot of the guitarists you're going to find make a living off of teaching and the idea of playing a College and picking up a few students is usually pretty tempting. Heck, most of them will probably be in if you reimburse for gas, help setup their gear, and just make it a fun night. I know I would.

Need info on your Ibby?

New Rules. Read Them.
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #13
Red paperclip trader

Tones is a glorious beacon of lightTones is a glorious beacon of lightTones is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 18 reviews
Quote:

Win
Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 05:38 PM   #14
I̵ͨ͆̆̈́ͮͩ͑ͭ̅ͣ̆̉ͭ͑̃̚҉͞

gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.gunshow86de is his own personal hero.
Feedback Score: 26 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbaline View Post
I'm pretty sure Billy still lives around here. I've seen him at the Northside Guitar Center twice. I was too scared to talk to him both times (I was 11 or 12).

Let's scan these lists;

Category:Musicians from Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Category:Musicians from Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holy crap, didn't know Burton C. Bell was from Houston.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it. - Jack Handey

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
gunshow86de is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #15
SS.org Regular

ElliotOMNOM is just really niceElliotOMNOM is just really nice
Zack Ordway
ElliotOMNOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
SS.org Regular

thrashcomics is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbaline View Post
Eric Johnson
The guys from Scale the Summit
was gonna say scale the summit. plus ZZTOP pwns all. im from texas too and was asking family and friends the other day if it was possible to be from texas and not LOVE you some zz

"the correct number of guitars to own is n+1, where n is the number of guitars you already have - BucketheadRules"

Ibanez RG550 (89 Desert Sun Yellow)(Gravity Storm set)(SS frets)
Peavey 5150
BBE Green Screamer(modded)
Boss HM2 Heavy Metal
thrashcomics is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
Blast & Sweep

Eric Johnson....hmmm that would be awesome. He's still living in Austin, so I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrashcomics View Post
was gonna say scale the summit. plus ZZTOP pwns all. im from texas too and was asking family and friends the other day if it was possible to be from texas and not LOVE you some zz
I really don't to be honest.
Unread 01-03-2011, 08:30 PM   #18
SS.org Regular

lurgar is a jewel in the rough
Ted Nugent bought a house not too far from where I live a couple of years ago. Not sure if he's still there or not but it was a nice $7 million home on a lake.
lurgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
MFB
ExBendable

MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.MFB is the epitome of metal.
ZZ Top.

...., you get ZZ Top to do a show and I'll come down for it since they never come up here

(・ω・`)

In space, no one can hear you bree. - Metal Ken
MFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
Gives Life Meaning

White Cluster is a name known to allWhite Cluster is a name known to allWhite Cluster is a name known to allWhite Cluster is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ty Tabor
King's X is in Katy

I use Elixirs because they're easier to clean the blood off. --chiba from TGP
White Cluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM   #21
ALL HAIL DJOD

Rick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnateRick is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Burton C. Bell actually lives in PA, IIRC.

Head of Agile Gestapo

Line 6 XDS95-->Line 6 POD X3 Pro-->Matrix GT800FX-->Line 6 Spidervalve 4x12 cabinet
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:21 AM   #22
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotOMNOM View Post
Zack Ordway
I'd pay to see that

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 09:26 AM   #23
1 less ERGNESS

ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.ralphy1976 is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
Scott Stine.

that was so badass!!!!!! amazing playing!!!!
ralphy1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:31 AM   #24
SS.org Regular

UnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of lightUnderTheSign is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I'd suggest a bunch of black metal dudes but I reckon they're not famous enough.
UnderTheSign is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2011, 10:41 AM   #25
Blast & Sweep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTheSign View Post
I'd suggest a bunch of black metal dudes but I reckon they're not famous enough.
I was under the impression that black metal didn't exist in Texas...tell me anyway!