homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree411Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #1

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

Avenged Sevenfold: A7X ENTERS STUDIO WITH MIKE PORTNOY | Facebook

I want our fans to know that with Jimmy in our hearts, our journey to record has officially began. Jimmy helped leave this world an amazing gift and now it's our job to make sure to deliver that gift to our fans. We asked Jimmy's all time favorite drummer Mike Portnoy to record on behalf of him. Mike said it would be an honor and without question that’s what Jim would have wanted. Its comforting to us that someone like Mike, who is undoubtedly revered as one of the best drummers in the world, held such respect and adoration for the Rev's abilities. Even though it will never be the same without our brother by our side, his essence lives in our hearts and through the music he helped create. He was a legend before any of the success or any of that bullshit and we are ....ing excited to lay this down for our fans, and especially for Jimmy.
-Avenged Sevenfold

That's really nice on Mr. Portnoys part I'm sure it will be a great record.
Evergrey likes this.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 02-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #2
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.Customisbetter is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
oh my. i might have to buy that record then.
Customisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
Rainbow In The Dark

Origin is just really niceOrigin is just really nice
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
My favourite drummer, it's nice to know he's a legitimately nice dude and doesn't Malmsteen it up. Having lost his father recently, it's good to see him spreading good vibes knowing full well how bad it can feel to lose someone.
Origin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #5

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Origin View Post
My favourite drummer, it's nice to know he's a legitimately nice dude and doesn't Malmsteen it up. Having lost his father recently, it's good to see him spreading good vibes knowing full well how bad it can feel to lose someone.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Unread 02-17-2010, 10:07 PM   #6
Happy Metal

Charles is just really niceCharles is just really nice
That would be WAY too awesome.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
SS.org Regular

ddtonfire is just really niceddtonfire is just really nice
Mike is the coolest man in the business.
ddtonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 12:01 AM   #8
Avant Temporal

right_to_rage is just really niceright_to_rage is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Mike Portnoy is an all class standup guy, talented drummer, and legendary musician. What happened to Jim is tragic and it's good to see that the people he looked up to are willing to devote a bit of their creative selves in his memory.
right_to_rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #9

SD83 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
That's awesome of Mike to do that.
SD83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by right_to_rage View Post
Mike Portnoy is an all class standup guy, talented drummer, and legendary musician. What happened to Jim is tragic and it's good to see that the people he looked up to are willing to devote a bit of their creative selves in his memory.
He really is. Not many musicians would do this for there fans in the business.

Unread 02-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #11
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
This is really cool of Mike, and musically quite a good fit... The Rev was very Portnoy-ish in his playing, especially on later records. I think both camps will have a good time recording this.

For me it seems like the hardest part will be to replace the Rev as a songwriter though. Some of the weirdest ideas and arrangements came right from him. I think he did a lot to make A7X into less of a generic -core band and more what they sounded like on the last 2 records.
Ninetyfour likes this.

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
Cold As Ice

HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.HighGain510 is an automated shredding machine.
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnIce View Post
This is really cool of Mike, and musically quite a good fit... The Rev was very Portnoy-ish in his playing, especially on later records. I think both camps will have a good time recording this.

For me it seems like the hardest part will be to replace the Rev as a songwriter though. Some of the weirdest ideas and arrangements came right from him. I think he did a lot to make A7X into less of a generic -core band and more what they sounded like on the last 2 records.
Excellent post, I was going to say something similar but you nailed it on the head. I am looking forward to seeing what they come up with as they are similar in terms of playing so we'll see what he throws down, big fan of both the Rev and Mike P. so it should be cool seeing Mike fill his shoes for the record.

Rig: PRS -> Kemper -> Atomic CLR
First time in a while I've been THIS happy with my tone!
HighGain510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #13
Not So Kool-Aid

-One- is a jewel in the rough
I'm glad that they got a worthy drummer to fill the space on this recording, and Mike is definitely the man for that. I'm wondering if Mike will be contributing any writing ideas or backing vocals, although I'm thinking it's not likely.

"I wonder if Kurt rolls his eyes everytime we come up with a new idea. 'Oh no. Not ss.org, again. NOW WHAT?'" - I_infect
"For all we know is some super bass wizard the likes of which hasn't been seen since Gandalf invented the bass." - heavy7-665
-One- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:32 PM   #14
Guiterrorizer

budda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyonebudda flexes at just about everyone
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That's really cool, and nice to hear about

Rock on!
budda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 05:43 PM   #15
GAS problems

SamSam is just really niceSamSam is just really nice
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Some good news for them, hopefully they'll bounce back. I'm looking forward to this
SamSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #16
Sharp Dressed Man

willyman101 is a jewel in the rough
That's awesome, love to hear about this kind of stuff. It's amazing of Mike to do it. Jimmy's death was tragic and it's cool to know that big names in the metal world are paying their respects in various ways.
willyman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #17
I'm walkin' here!!!

scottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud ofscottro202 has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
That's awesome. It's good to hear they're getting back in the studio with one of the Rev's faves

Charlie Sheen says become a fan of the band I play guitar in:
http://paulisdeadmusic.bandcamp.com/

"All of a sudden I'm making out with someone and I'm thinking "sweet, I'm awesome at picking up chicks, I wasn't even trying... wait, this is a lot hairier than it should be, right?" - Naw38
scottro202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #18
Hawt-o-Saur

WoodenAshtray is on a distinguished road
That's very cool of Mike to do..

Hey, if I die, will Guthrie record an album with my band?
WoodenAshtray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #19
SS.org Regular

Nats is a glorious beacon of lightNats is a glorious beacon of lightNats is a glorious beacon of light
I feel so bad for mike portnoy. I wonder what that conversation went like.

"Hey our drummer just kicked the bucket, and his dying wish was to drum with you. Wanna play on our album?"

"...well, when you put it that way..."
Nats is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 01:56 PM   #20
ERG Ambassador

lucasreis is a glorious beacon of lightlucasreis is a glorious beacon of lightlucasreis is a glorious beacon of light
Total class act and genuinely cool guy. That's awesome of him! Great, great news! Mike rocks...
lucasreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 02:01 PM   #21
Kick The Gates Open

FYP666 is just really niceFYP666 is just really nice
Mike has indeed a very warm heart, that's awesome of him to do that. May have to check the record out when it's released!

YDG!?
FYP666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #22
SS.org Regular

RevDrucifer is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nats View Post
I feel so bad for mike portnoy. I wonder what that conversation went like.

"Hey our drummer just kicked the bucket, and his dying wish was to drum with you. Wanna play on our album?"

"...well, when you put it that way..."
Not likely, Portnoy has been a fan of them for a while now. Him and the Rev exchanged texts/e-mails for a while before he died as well.

I get the idea for some reason that the music is already written and Portnoy's there to play what's already written. His press release said he wasn't trying to step into or fill the Rev's shoes, just lace them up for him.

I think it's pretty badass and can't wait to hear it.
RevDrucifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #23
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
Appearently Mike will also tour with them throughout 2010. This is from their official website:

"After having had such an amazing experience recording my drum tracks for the new Avenged Sevenfold album, we all knew it would be awesome if I'd be able to do some touring with the band after its release...

I am happy to say that the timing worked out perfectly that my touring cycle with Dream Theater (and Transatlantic) was coming to an end just as A7X's was scheduled begin!

(well, perfect for everyone except my poor family!) : )

Although I wish I could stay on board with A7X in a more permanent capacity, the reality is that I am committed to Dream Theater as my main priority (that is my baby after all!), and I will need to resume work with DT to start a new album at some point in 2011....

However, I will be able to join my brothers in Avenged Sevenfold for at least the duration of their touring throughout 2010...and hopefully this will give them the time to continue to heal and get comfortable back on the road....

You can look at me like the band's "rebound drummer" to buy them some time until they are comfortable and ready to make a commitment to somebody new for full-time relationship in their future!

In the meantime, I am real excited to hit the road with the boys...to bring my drumming from their new album to life on stage and to honor The Rev with all of their older material....

(Hey, do I get to have a cool, bad-ass stage name now???) : )

C-ya out there,

MP"

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #24
\m/

vhmetalx is a glorious beacon of lightvhmetalx is a glorious beacon of lightvhmetalx is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Thats super nice. Makes me a little excited to see the new material now.

"DUDE YOU ARE F*CKING DEAF"
"No i'm not.. I'm a musician"
vhmetalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:26 PM   #25
None shall pass.

eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.eleven59 can play Erotomania with his toes.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Holy shit, did I just travel back in time 3 months?

I wish

The Offensive Senses
Twitter
Facebook
eleven59 is offline   Reply With Quote