homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree411Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #876
SS.org Regular

WickedSymphony is just really niceWickedSymphony is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
^ Hey man, now that Portnoy's not around they're not pushing to be heavier and more melodic!

My judgments are reserved until we actually hear some finished tracks.
WickedSymphony is online now   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #877
SS.org Regular

slapnutz is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Man that Roadrunner "doco" was awesome. Really rooting for Mangini but you never know. He just seems to have so much enthusiasm for the part. I loved it when it said, he doesnt like word "gig", serious passion there.
RevDrucifer and Shrikkanth like this.
slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 03:39 AM   #878
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
*sets alarm clock to 15:00 GMT*

11 am EST - can't wait for the next instalment!
Alberto7 and SirMyghin like this.

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #879
cali-cornia bluffer

asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyDavey View Post
*sets alarm clock to 15:00 GMT*

11 am EST - can't wait for the next instalment!
TODAY?!!

Damn you warner for making a reality type metal show online! The suspense is killing me!
asmegin_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #880
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.

Am I late?
Randy and Opeth666 like this.
Kurkkuviipale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #881
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Just on time I would say

(Watching now, immoderately excited!)

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #882
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
Holy .... Marco Minneman was nice...

And Derek Roddy nailed the blast beat!
Kurkkuviipale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:20 AM   #883
SS.org Regular

Nazca is a jewel in the rough
Marco was a beast!
It's definitely between him and Mangini, so far! Looking forward to Friday(?) I guess.
Nazca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #884
SS.org Regular

Marco Minneman was ....ing awesome. I mean holy shit, wow.

At this point, I agree with what Myung said at the end of the video. Not gonna spell it out here for spoiler's sake, though
ShadyDavey likes this.
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:21 AM   #885
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Roddy as expected, is one of those drummers that can prepare anything, but doesn't really have a brain that is wired for proggy stuff like this on the fly, like Virgil and Marco do.

Minneman definitely crushed everyone there. Didn't know he was that tall though, that wing span is terrifying, dude looks goofy as hell
Randy, Acme and TheSleeper like this.
DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:26 AM   #886
7ibrarian

Highly impressed with both Marco and Mike - I'm not terribly familiar with the other guys so it'll be interesting to see how they stack up later in the week.

Unread 04-27-2011, 10:30 AM   #887
SS.org Regular

Acme is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm quite disappointed about Virgil. I thought he would be much more precise. Maybe he just overjittered it. Marco is my favourite so far. To be honest, I don't like Mangini that much, his extreme excitement felt too pesky for me. It's funny to rate them based on 2 minute long clips, but whatever.
Acme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #888

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Virgil: Impressed the mess out of me! No wonder he's "special." That man is ridiculous!

Marco: I loved his enthusiam and his jamming was good, but it reminded me of Portnoy actually and since when did he play in Necrophagist!?!? Besides that he was ridiculous!

Derek Roddy: Impressed me with his blast beats but everything else I didn't feel like hit fitted in with the band. But he still a great drummer though!

Thomas Lang: Was fun to watch, I felt like he could be in Dream Theater and I enjoyed him.

But I would have to say by looking at the video and them mentioning Mike over again...I would really say it's him. Due to other things in the current world as well. With him canceling all his lessons and etc.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:34 AM   #889
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Plus, if this were a planned out and well made film, it would make sense to introduce the winner at the beginning, and set it up so you're rooting for them the whole time. Seems they're doing this for Mangini here.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #890
7ibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
Virgil: Impressed the mess out of me! No wonder he's "special." That man is ridiculous!

Marco: I loved his enthusiam and his jamming was good, but it reminded me of Portnoy actually and since when did he play in Necrophagist!?!? Besides that he was ridiculous!

Derek Roddy: Impressed me with his blast beats but everything else I didn't feel like hit fitted in with the band. But he still a great drummer though!

Thomas Lang: Was fun to watch, I felt like he could be in Dream Theater and I enjoyed him.

But I would have to say by looking at the video and them mentioning Mike over again...I would really say it's him. Due to other things in the current world as well. With him canceling all his lessons and etc.
Derek seemed really personable, and his speed is unquestionable but he didn't seem to suit the intricate, proggy style.

Thomas - monster technique and groove but shot himself in the foot via interpretation rather than imitation for the "canonical" songs. Can't fault his playing feel however....

Marco =/= Portnoy when the situation called for it, and clearly stamped his own authority on other parts without being quite as eager to fit in as Mike who sorta reminded me of an over-enthusiastic puppy. Lovely guy ofc and they're both tremendous musicians....

Want the last episode NAOW!!

Unread 04-27-2011, 10:43 AM   #891

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyDavey View Post
Derek seemed really personable, and his speed is unquestionable but he didn't seem to suit the intricate, proggy style.

Thomas - monster technique and groove but shot himself in the foot via interpretation rather than imitation for the "canonical" songs. Can't fault his playing feel however....

Marco =/= Portnoy when the situation called for it, and clearly stamped his own authority on other parts without being quite as eager to fit in as Mike who sorta reminded me of an over-enthusiastic puppy. Lovely guy ofc and they're both tremendous musicians....

Want the last episode NAOW!!
Marco: Yeah. I think I could agree with that and I must say his a monster though. But did he really play in Necrophagist?!

Indeed I want to see it noaw!!!!

So I wonder now who is drummer that gets James "best by far" comment?

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:45 AM   #892
Sir Paul of the Mosh

drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/drmosh is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
wish I could watch those ....ing videos in germany, I ....ing hate region blocking by IP so damn much.
Gonna have to move back home >
drmosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:47 AM   #893
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acme View Post
It's funny to rate them based on 2 minute long clips, but whatever.
I agree with you on that. There's so much more to the 3 songs they had them play, let alone the jamming and new riffs, that it seems very difficult to get a real grasp on how they compare to one another aside from saying that they're all monster to begin with. But then again, the reality is that it's the members of DT rating them based on the whole audition, not us on 2 minute clips, so there's that whole thing
Unread 04-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #894
cali-cornia bluffer

asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.asmegin_slayer is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
....!! Marco and Mangini have my votes. But I'm still going with Marco so as of now.
asmegin_slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #895
1-watt brigadier

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazca View Post
Marco was a beast!
It's definitely between him and Mangini, so far! Looking forward to Friday(?) I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSymphony View Post
Marco Minneman was ....ing awesome. I mean holy shit, wow.

At this point, I agree with what Myung said at the end of the video. Not gonna spell it out here for spoiler's sake, though
Minneman was unreal awesome. Right now, I would be happy with either him or Mike M. I think the feel of the jams I might have slightly preferred Mike's vibe with the rest of the band, but both..absolutely awesome.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #896
SS.org Regular

Espaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of light
It's probably not going to be Virgil, and I'm glad! I need him in Planet X!
AySay and TheSleeper like this.

You: "I'd like a Coke." Waiter:"Is Pepsi ok?" You: "Is Monopoly money ok?"

http://www.youtube.com/concretenor
Espaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #897
SS.org Regular

Opeth666 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Marco and Mangini........ bring em both to the band...that'd be interesting hell periphery has 3 guitarists why not two drummers....I kid
Opeth666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #898
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I can say I wouldn't want to be the guy making these choices. Donati was impressive to watch, the fact he plays with the traditional grip blew my mind.

That said I pity the drummers a bit, as a bassist I have joined bands with some tunes, and what few recordings they had I was welcome to step over. To me not being able to reinterpret is an issue, and although I understand it , unless I am playing to learn something for techniques sake I am prone to reinterpretting also.

Marcos mannerisms and the sort of awkwardness to his movements is fun to watch.

Also who else is keeping track, admit it... We have heard Myung speak 2x so far

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #899
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
Mike seemed kinda vanilla to me.
Virgil was impressive but i didnt think he fit
Marco i really liked
Thmas Lang was a monster though, he was my fave this round.

i wish i actually liked DT hahahaha...this has been really entertaining and professionally done. DT are such classy guys and great musicians, even though im no fan i have all the respect in the world for them.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2011, 11:25 AM   #900
Classy
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
Marco: Yeah. I think I could agree with that and I must say his a monster though. But did he really play in Necrophagist?!
Xiphos68 likes this.

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote