homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree411Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:14 AM   #851
ss.org Regular

Spacepants is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dream Theater's documentary on auditioning a new drummer

pretty coo'
check it out.
sorry if someone already posted this, didnt see it on the dash board
signalgrey likes this.
Spacepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #852
Ambiente Savante

signalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to allsignalgrey is a name known to all
i really enjoyed this i saw it earlier this afternoon.
signalgrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:32 AM   #853
ss.org Regular

Spacepants is a jewel in the rough
Yeah, its pretty cool. But thinking about it, it reminds me of one of those bachelor shows where theres 1 dude and he has to choose 1 from 10 chicks to be his wife or something. made me lol
Spacepants is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #854
SS.org Regular

nojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud ofnojyeloot has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
sorry guys...

Heavy Metal Soap Opera (The Mike Portnoy vs. Dream Theater Saga)

http://www.facebook.com/BristolGuitars | https://soundcloud.com/nojyeloot

"If anyone speaks badly of you, live so that no one believes it."[/FONT]

nojyeloot is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 09:52 AM   #855
Green guitar addict

BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.BucketheadRules is pretty damn metal.
If Mangini didn't get it there is no justice.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out my YouTubings by making clicks upon this most generously provided link:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ConnorFGuitar?feature=mhee

You can thank me later. Or throw stones, it's your call.

It's always funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's just hilarious...
BucketheadRules is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #856
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
he's definitely the only guy of the seven that seems just as corny and irritating as portnoy personality-wise
TheSleeper likes this.
DLG is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:34 AM   #857
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLG View Post
he's definitely the only guy of the seven that seems just as corny and irritating as portnoy personality-wise
HEY...!! ... That's one of the things I love about him

But, really, as much as I love Mangini (and Minnemann as well), I don't really mind who they've already chosen. I have faith in these guys, and I'm pretty sure they've made the right choice!

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:38 AM   #858
SS.org Regular

Espaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
0:15-0:18

Bleed anyone?
He knew the song before it was made
Xiphos68 likes this.

You: "I'd like a Coke." Waiter:"Is Pepsi ok?" You: "Is Monopoly money ok?"

http://www.youtube.com/concretenor
Espaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #859
DLG
not guthrie govan

DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/DLG is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
or maybe it's just a pretty regular metal riff?

Unread 04-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #860
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
I'm gonna guess and say it was either Donati (leaning) or Minneman.
I suspect you may be right, but let's wait to see

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 10:59 AM   #861
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyDavey View Post
I suspect you may be right, but let's wait to see
Pretty sure it's Donati, unless they're doing tricky editing. The drummer they show before he makes the comment is Donati (look at the grip)
ShadyDavey likes this.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #862
SS.org Regular

Espaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
or maybe it's just a pretty regular metal riff?
It really is! hehe, I was just kidding

Gyro, synrgy and Guitarman700 like this.

You: "I'd like a Coke." Waiter:"Is Pepsi ok?" You: "Is Monopoly money ok?"

http://www.youtube.com/concretenor
Espaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #863
SS.org Regular

WickedSymphony is just really niceWickedSymphony is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowHead View Post
Pretty sure it's Donati, unless they're doing tricky editing.
Clearly gotta be tricky editing. Best drummer comment is about Mangini and they're comparing his audition to the other guys'!!!

WickedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #864
SS.org Regular

RevDrucifer is a jewel in the rough
I'm guessing people calling Portnoy annoying or egotistical or whatever haven't spent any time with him. While I can't say I'm personal friends with him, over the years I've gotten to hang with him a bit and he's never been anything but cool and welcoming.

I've told the story before here, I believe, but after the first Roseland show on the SFAM tour, I hung out by the busses for literally a good 2-3 hours, waiting for Petrucci to come back to sign stuff. It was close to 2am and it was just Mike and I standing by the bus, all the fans had left. Mike said he was turning in for the night, asked if I was all set with a ride and thanked me for hangin' out.

I still wonder what he would have done if I told him I needed a ride.

And about Mangini being corny and irritating...

The dude is obviously stoked at the opportunity ahead of him. My buddy took private lessons with him at Berklee for a couple semesters and they still catch eachother around Boston occasionally. I've heard some good stories over the past few years....for instance, Mangini has shown up to a few double-bass labs still reekin' of booze from the night before a few times, "Oh Jay, I've gotta hang-ova somethin' bad!", then continues to sit down and tear it up like nothin!

You only get to that level of musicianship by absolutely loving each note/hit ya play. Mangini was obviously more than ready to put every bit of hisself into DT, which I think is awesome.

And I also that that Angra dude's playing style was REALLY ....in' close to Portnoy's. Dynamically, BIGTIME, just the way he hits the skins and his phrasing. When I first saw him play, first thing I thought was, "If they want a Portnoy clone....there he is.".
RevDrucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #865
SS.org Regular

aiur55 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I'm gonna guess and say it was either Donati (leaning) or Minneman.
I don't think it is gonna be Minneman because he is going into the studio this year with Guthrie Govan.
aiur55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #866
SS.org Regular

ArrowHead is just really niceArrowHead is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by aiur55 View Post
I don't think it is gonna be Minneman because he is going into the studio this year with Guthrie Govan.
He was referring to who inspired Labrie's "Best by FAR" comment at the end of this video. Not who is going to be the new DT drummer.
ArrowHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #867
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Pretty sure it's Donati, unless they're doing tricky editing. The drummer they show before he makes the comment is Donati (look at the grip)
Indeed! I went back and I've reached that conclusion as well - but it's no surprise given how much of a monster Virgil is

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 12:51 PM   #868
SS.org Regular

aiur55 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
He was referring to who inspired Labrie's "Best by FAR" comment at the end of this video. Not who is going to be the new DT drummer.
Sorry, was reading posts out of context...

Definitely Marco.
aiur55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #869
ΩGJ :3

Alberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to beholdAlberto7 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDrucifer View Post
I'm guessing people calling Portnoy annoying or egotistical or whatever haven't spent any time with him. While I can't say I'm personal friends with him, over the years I've gotten to hang with him a bit and he's never been anything but cool and welcoming.

I've told the story before here, I believe, but after the first Roseland show on the SFAM tour, I hung out by the busses for literally a good 2-3 hours, waiting for Petrucci to come back to sign stuff. It was close to 2am and it was just Mike and I standing by the bus, all the fans had left. Mike said he was turning in for the night, asked if I was all set with a ride and thanked me for hangin' out.

I still wonder what he would have done if I told him I needed a ride.

And about Mangini being corny and irritating...

The dude is obviously stoked at the opportunity ahead of him. My buddy took private lessons with him at Berklee for a couple semesters and they still catch eachother around Boston occasionally. I've heard some good stories over the past few years....for instance, Mangini has shown up to a few double-bass labs still reekin' of booze from the night before a few times, "Oh Jay, I've gotta hang-ova somethin' bad!", then continues to sit down and tear it up like nothin!

You only get to that level of musicianship by absolutely loving each note/hit ya play. Mangini was obviously more than ready to put every bit of hisself into DT, which I think is awesome.

And I also that that Angra dude's playing style was REALLY ....in' close to Portnoy's. Dynamically, BIGTIME, just the way he hits the skins and his phrasing. When I first saw him play, first thing I thought was, "If they want a Portnoy clone....there he is.".
I have to agree with this.

I have a good friend who's friends with Neal Morse, and I got to hang out with Transatlantic when they went to Madrid. A girl friend of mine came to the show with me. After the show, we hung out with Transatlantic, and Mike was such a charming character, and very open to meeting the fans. My friend (who has the most serious case of "Portnoy-obsession" I've ever seen) was speechless and literally started crying when she met Mike face to face. Upon seeing this, he just hugged her, and was kind enough to invite her to their concert the next day in Barcelona, and, out of the blue, gave her two signed drumsticks. Sadly, she had to turn down the offer, as she had personal issues to deal with the following day. Those couple of days of being around the members of Transatlantic really showed me how humble they are, and Portnoy gave me the best of impressions. (EDIT: I can't stress enough the humility of the Transatlantic guys; they're incredible people).

I don't know anyone who's met Mangini, but he really reminds me of Portnoy in the sense that he seems extremely dedicated, very humble, and extroverted. Dream Theater not only needs an incredible drummer, but a good person who will always be fully involved with the band and will push them forward.

Again, even if Mangini isn't the chosen one, I'm sure they've made the right choice.

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:21 PM   #870
SS.org Regular

Darknut will become famous soon enough
It seemed like they had mangini read lines lol. But he played the shit really well. And yes, he was pretty annoying. "Its like they're choosing a new wife. And we are all 7 pretty girls. " .. At least I won't hear his annoying frantic mannerisms on the new album. lol
Darknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:41 PM   #871
SS.org Regular

somniumaeternum is just really nicesomniumaeternum is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto7 View Post
Again, even if Mangini isn't the chosen one, I'm sure they've made the right choice.
Great point here. It's their band and while I'm very opinionated on my view from a fan's perspective, it's their band and I can't really judge the decision based on my biases.

Although I can judge /compare / critique the finished product once we hear it

I hope that the fan's point of view really has nothing in their decision. I want them to grasp the reigns of DT again and start driving it forward in a progressive fashion.
TheSleeper likes this.
somniumaeternum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #872
DLG
not guthrie govan

the new riff they are working on with mangini isn't too promising though. It's a typical heavy and odd time for odd time's sake thing that's been prevalent on the last several albums. no signs of their former greatness.
AySay likes this.
Unread 04-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #873
SS.org Regular

Darknut will become famous soon enough
Quote:
the new riff they are working on with mangini isn't too promising though. It's a typical heavy and odd time for odd time's sake thing that's been prevalent on the last several albums. no signs of their former greatness.
Agreed
Darknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #874

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espaul View Post
He knew the song before it was made

I can get over that.

Anyway, it's cool to hear all these stories about Portnoy and how he treated the fans with so much love/care for them. I hope that if I can ever be in a band that's how I would want to be.

Mangini, as well. Seeing his personality and all he seems like an awesome guy.

My friend (Travis Shore) took lessons from Mangini and he was actually Manginis teachers pet. One time Mangini got some new bass pedals (200$-300$ pedals). He said "he didn't need them" or something like that. So he gave them to my friend Travis. Supossively, at one time my friend was going to try to get in on the audition (not so sure). But he has mad skills.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #875
SS.org Regular

RevDrucifer is a jewel in the rough
Hahahaha and already the bitching starts about how the new "music" doesn't sound promising.

A 3 second riff, just being jammed on, not recorded....

Lovin' it.
drmosh, AxeHappy and SirMyghin like this.
RevDrucifer is offline   Reply With Quote