homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree411Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 04-25-2011, 11:43 AM   #801
SS.org Regular

georg_f is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
so this will really be 3 episodes long?
The first one is with Mangini only... the other drummers will get some minutes then, apparently

but it's some cool stuff
the actual episode was much less dramatic/soap opera-esque than the trailer suggested, thank god

only problem is that they don't tell the story why MP left correctly, but it's alright
Shrikkanth likes this.
georg_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 04-25-2011, 11:46 AM   #802
no lack of headroom

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Feedback Score: 34 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opeth666 View Post
Episode 1 for those who care

YouTube - RoadrunnerRecords's Channel

Thanks very much for posting that. Enjoyed watching it and am definitely cheering for Mike to take the throne at this point.
Opeth666 likes this.

Currently in progress of replacing every guitar I have...piece by piece

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Mordacain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 11:56 AM   #803
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
It's indeed really interesting seeing it behind the scenes. Lookin' forward to the part 2.
Kurkkuviipale is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 12:04 PM   #804
Chug Life

themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
I found the episode to be much more enjoyable than the preview trailer they made for sure. Mike's energy and sincerety was great, and obviously he has the chops. I was glad to see JP and the rest of the guys giving him some positive critiscism as well instead of just playing and going "thanks well be in touch".
Shrikkanth likes this.
themike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #805
SS.org Regular

Mendez is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Been missing this DT thing lately...

I liked the video though, great to see all the drummers involved and how they're personalities are.
From just this vid im definitely leaning towards mike
nojyeloot likes this.
Mendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #806
DJUN DJUNDJUNDJUN
Super Moderator

Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.Randy has an entire closet full of viking hats.
Feedback Score: 16 reviews
19:44...

Does Jordan kiss Mike Mangini on the cheek?

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Sittin' on the dashboard of my car

Argbadh - RHLC©
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #807
SS.org Regular

somniumaeternum is just really nicesomniumaeternum is just really nice
I just watched the first episode myself and enjoyed it actually. I was surprised that they played a lot of older stuff as the backing music to the bits!
somniumaeternum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #808
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Episode 1 for those who care

YouTube - RoadrunnerRecords's Channel
thanks for posting that, I had to watch it as when I put it in HD it wouldn't let me pause . It was interesting to say the least, looks like 6 minutes or so per drummer?

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #809
HACKA LÖKEN!

TheSleeper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by georg_f View Post
so this will really be 3 episodes long?
The first one is with Mangini only... the other drummers will get some minutes then, apparently
I'm guessing 4 episodes of 20 minutes each, which gives us 10 minutes per drummer + the introduction. And as the typical DT fan should notice: 4 episodes, 20 minutes; 4/20 is Portnoy's date of birth. ()

Liquid is in your throat, for Opeth's delight!
TheSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #810
Chug Life

themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.themike is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSleeper View Post
I'm guessing 4 episodes of 20 minutes each, which gives us 10 minutes per drummer + the introduction. And as the typical DT fan should notice: 4 episodes, 20 minutes; 4/20 is Portnoy's date of birth. ()
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM   #811
SS.org Regular

somniumaeternum is just really nicesomniumaeternum is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSleeper View Post
We'll there's a difference between being a fan and a stalker..

Really though, I thought there were 3 episodes though instead of 4? Did I read that wrong somewhere?

I really don't think they planned it for his bday. Maybe it was just something that happened.. or maybe they're all just huge stoners now to cope with the heartbreak that JP was talking about. Who knows
somniumaeternum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #812
Haruha Raharu... ko!

Alberto7 is a name known to allAlberto7 is a name known to allAlberto7 is a name known to allAlberto7 is a name known to all
Well, I'm gonna have to take back some of the things I said about them after the first time I watched the trailer. This IS way more enjoyable than I ever expected, and it feels genuine. Props to DT

On the other hand... This has to be said: Dream Theater now djents. Wtf JP's tone

Sum ergo cogito; cogito ergo dubito; dubito ergo cogito; cogito ergo sum.
Alberto7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #813

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
I still don't understand, why Petrucci is talking about the memories with Mike and he says "we love Mike and didn't expect this to happen." Why don't they take him back then? Because, he asked to come back.

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:35 PM   #814
Chug Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto7 View Post
On the other hand... This has to be said: Dream Theater now djents. Wtf JP's tone
Thats what happens when you use an AxeFX for your tone but keep your Mesa's in the rack so it looks like you still use them too
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #815
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiphos68 View Post
I still don't understand, why Petrucci is talking about the memories with Mike and he says "we love Mike and didn't expect this to happen." Why don't they take him back then? Because, he asked to come back.
Maybe 'cause Mike didn't want to come back by heart, but for the sake of fans whining.
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM   #816
no lack of headroom

Mordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud ofMordacain has much to be proud of
Quote:
Not to retread old ground but I'd say the issue is very complicated and could be likened to the feeling you get when someone leaves you and then comes back later. You don't shake off that feeling of abandonment easily.

Of course, the rest of DT may have thought (like many of the fans) that this whole thing presented an opportunity to revitalize the band and move forward, rather than back.

- "Unfortunately, our ability for rational thinking is inversely proportionate to our desire to stick our dicks into orifices." - pink freud

- "I don't have all the answers to everything, I'm not God, when I get girls pregnant they aren't virgins anymore." - scottro202
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #817
no lack of headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3m1ke View Post
Thats what happens when you use an AxeFX for your tone but keep your Mesa's in the rack so it looks like you still use them too
To be honest, I was kinda thinking that Petrucci was using the AxeFX and I wasn't really liking his tone much. I'd figure he probably just uses it for practice so he doesn't have to mess with his loud as f*ck Mark's.

Unread 04-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #818
SS.org Regular

Guitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to beholdGuitarman700 is a splendid one to behold
Feedback Score: 13 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordacain View Post
To be honest, I was kinda thinking that Petrucci was using the AxeFX and I wasn't really liking his tone much. I'd figure he probably just uses it for practice so he doesn't have to mess with his loud as f*ck Mark's.
I have no idea, but his tone was amazing on both Prog Nation and when they opened for Iron Maiden.

"FFDP is metal for Nascar fans."-Rick
"Someone said they like guns. I like Mel Gibson."-God
Guitarman700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #819
Another Sinking Shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
I have no idea, but his tone was amazing on both Prog Nation and when they opened for Iron Maiden.
Well he wasn't using Axe-FX back then. I bet he ain't using it for the record either.

I really don't believe that a man like Petrucci couldn't get a good sound out of a box I can get a good sound out of.
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:46 PM   #820

Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.Xiphos68 is pretty much the man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mordacain View Post
Not to retread old ground but I'd say the issue is very complicated and could be likened to the feeling you get when someone leaves you and then comes back later. You don't shake off that feeling of abandonment easily.

Of course, the rest of DT may have thought (like many of the fans) that this whole thing presented an opportunity to revitalize the band and move forward, rather than back.
Yeah, but still forgive and forget you know? There must be more to it then is mentioned, because I don't think they would just completely blow him off for leaving or at least I think they wouldn't (but I could be wrong).

Have a question about The Gospel or prayer request, PM me. Happy to help and God Bless!

Band: www.facebook.com/whisperfromheaven
For fans of Melodic-Metal.

"Once you have entered the Ocean... You have entered the food chain." - Dad
Xiphos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM   #821
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Watching now - initial thoughts are that I don't care too much WHO gets the chair as long as they gel with the rest of the guys and give DT a much-needed kick up the arse........also impressed with the size of JP's freakin' arms

Edit: Mike's energy is fabulous, and JP's tone is a step in the right direction for me at least !

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #822
The Dirt Guy

SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.SirMyghin is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:

Its not that simple, when a band has been together for a long time and someone leaves it is huge. I have been in similar scenarios (ableit not nearly as long, obviously) and the reaction was akin to, .... em. You can't ever trust them again after that point, whose to say they won't just pack in and take off, again.

Guitar techs are for sissies.

Learn some damn music theory, don't complain, and you'll be a better person. -Schecterwhore

Show me a truly awesome guitar for under $1000 and I'll show you hateful lies.
SirMyghin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM   #823
no lack of headroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman700 View Post
A little quick googling only shows lots of rumors. Judging from his rack pics and from what most of the gossip points to is that He's just using it in his "B" Rig for practice, which would explain only having the two Marks as opposed to the 3 he has in his main rig.

Unread 04-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #824
Kyo
Myung at Heart

Kyo is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
my question is...are they going to be doing episodes every wee for 7 weeks for each individual drummer?
No. There are three episodes total and they will all be released this week.
Xiphos68 likes this.

"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Kyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2011, 04:09 PM   #825
deus ex machina

atimoc is a name known to allatimoc is a name known to allatimoc is a name known to allatimoc is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I thought this drama was getting ridiculous, but that video ended up being really interesting, really looking forward to the next two clips. The only thing that bugged me a little was that giving out DT hats to some of the best drummers in the world seems a wee bit condescending. I'm guessing I'm reading too much into it, but caught my eye nevertheless...

"These songs are long and there are fast parts, so that automatically means that they're good!"
atimoc is offline   Reply With Quote