homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree411Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 12-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #601
SS.org Regular

WickedSymphony is just really niceWickedSymphony is just really nice
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Someone posted this at the JP forum, thought I'd add it here as well.

WickedSymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 12-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #602
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSymphony View Post

Priceless.
Razzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #603
SS.org Regular

ZackP3750 is just really niceZackP3750 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSymphony View Post

Mike Portnoy edition: "They ....ing kicked me out of the band! They ....ing kicked me out!!! When the .... did I become the bad guy?! I don't need them anyway, but they ....ing kicked me out!"
ZackP3750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #604
[10]

Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.Razzy is shredding to new heights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackP3750 View Post
Mike Portnoy edition: "They ....ing kicked me out of the band! They ....ing kicked me out!!! When the .... did I become the bad guy?! I don't need them anyway, but they ....ing kicked me out!"
They didn't kick him out, he QUIT.
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:25 PM   #605
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
@Lars video...

Welcome children, today we'll be discussing punctuation with Lars Ulrich...

"Well, when you really wanna ....in' get your point across you pull the 'PERIOD, EXCLAMATION POINT' move. For example:

.... YOU.!

Or

He ....ing quit the band.!

As you can see it is quite effective.!"

Period exclamation point FTL.

EDIT:
Also, sick Zematis guitar right behind Lars in the beginning. I love those things.
JamesM is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 12:29 PM   #606
SS.org Regular

ZackP3750 is just really niceZackP3750 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
They didn't kick him out, he QUIT.
I thought that about 10 seconds after posting. God damn getting called into work at 4am

Let me rephrase: "I ....ing quit the band! Now they won't let me rejoin, and I'm the ....ing bad guy?! All I ever did was tell it like it is!"
ZackP3750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM   #607
[10]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackP3750 View Post
I thought that about 10 seconds after posting. God damn getting called into work at 4am

Let me rephrase: "I ....ing quit the band! Now they won't let me rejoin, and I'm the ....ing bad guy?! All I ever did was tell it like it is!"
hahaha, that's a little more accurate.

The thing is. I was fine with Portnoy leaving. He seemed like he had completely valid reasons for doing so. I was like, "Cool, he needs a break, I get that." But then he comes out with posting all this shit publicly, and crying about shit, like, "They're not sad that I'm gone, boohoo, they're mean," and then after A7X boots him, which was the original plan all along, he tries to come back, and it's like he EXPECTED the guys from Dream Theater just to welcome him back with open arms, or be nice about saying no, after HE left THEM.

Frankly, the dude just pisses me off now.
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:10 PM   #608
Que te jodas.

RaceCar is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
hahaha, that's a little more accurate.

The thing is. I was fine with Portnoy leaving. He seemed like he had completely valid reasons for doing so. I was like, "Cool, he needs a break, I get that." But then he comes out with posting all this shit publicly, and crying about shit, like, "They're not sad that I'm gone, boohoo, they're mean," and then after A7X boots him, which was the original plan all along, he tries to come back, and it's like he EXPECTED the guys from Dream Theater just to welcome him back with open arms, or be nice about saying no, after HE left THEM.

Frankly, the dude just pisses me off now.

My feelings exactly.

He left in the first place. After 20 years.

Don't take anything too seriously. It's just life!
RaceCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #609
The Armada

JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.JamesM is pretty much the man.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I watched an interview with Portnoy about him playing with Avenged Sevenfold and he said something along the lines of--regarding tracking the Rev's drum lines--"I could hear my influence in his playing, etc."

I said, WHAT! You arrogant shit head.
JamesM is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #610
Call me Charlie :)

CloudAC is a jewel in the rough
^^^^^^^ The Rev was hugely hugely influenced by Mike Portnoy. I can hear it in his drums too, mostly in City of Evil's album, lots of MP ride cymbal style.
CloudAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #611
Que te jodas.

RaceCar is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post
I watched an interview with Portnoy about him playing with Avenged Sevenfold and he said something along the lines of--regarding tracking the Rev's drum lines--"I could hear my influence in his playing, etc."

Why, because of his "bag of tricks" drum fill (double snare-->double bass-->double toms etc.)? Does he think he invented that or something? Whatever he's talking about, what a pretentious thing to say. I'm sure he meant it in a good way, but again, the world revolves around Portnoy.

Don't take anything too seriously. It's just life!
RaceCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 01:29 PM   #612
SS.org Regular

Espaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of lightEspaul is a glorious beacon of light
This has probably been said, but the title is the most awesome mod thread name edit I've ever seen

You: "I'd like a Coke." Waiter:"Is Pepsi ok?" You: "Is Monopoly money ok?"

http://www.youtube.com/concretenor
Espaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 09:58 PM   #613
SS.org Regular

Antimatter is a jewel in the rough
Wait so he got kicked out of Avenged Sevenfold and then when he tried to go back to Dream Theater after only a few months he's surprised of the refusal? And here I thought he was an awesome guy. And what's with all this denial of everything "I'm not crying about this or anything...I didn't ask for a press release on this, seriously"
If he didn't do it then why does he specifically mention it
Antimatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #614
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antimatter View Post
Wait so he got kicked out of Avenged Sevenfold and then when he tried to go back to Dream Theater after only a few months he's surprised of the refusal? And here I thought he was an awesome guy. And what's with all this denial of everything "I'm not crying about this or anything...I didn't ask for a press release on this, seriously"
If he didn't do it then why does he specifically mention it
What happened was at some point between leaving DT and either before or after being booted from A7X he asked to rejoin Dream Theater, but my guess is they already had someone lined up for the gig so they probably couldn't bring him back now even if they wanted to. Personally, I'd like to see Portnoy back in DT some day, just not right now. He said he wanted a break and he still doesn't want to return to DT just yet, so let him have his break, let everyone get over the BS and drama, then come back.

As far as him not asking for a press release, he was referring to outside sites taking his statements and turning it into one because the reason for him making a statement was for his own fans to know what's going on. If anything, you gotta give Portnoy credit for always communicating with his fans (even if lately it may have been best to keep a bit quiet over some things).
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #615
Dog Sized Bird

PyramidSmasher is a glorious beacon of lightPyramidSmasher is a glorious beacon of lightPyramidSmasher is a glorious beacon of light
Paramore just lost their drummer, and that does seem to be the direction Mike's been moving...

Misery Signals for life
PyramidSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2010, 11:30 PM   #616
Banned

LLink2411 is just really niceLLink2411 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Armada View Post

Yeah, one of the most influential drummers of all time influencing people.

UNHEARD OF!!!!
LLink2411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 04:28 PM   #617
Hammer of the Gods

shanejohnson02 is just really niceshanejohnson02 is just really nice
When I got this news, I was totally deflated. But it really sounds like a bunch of kids arguing over who gets picked for the kickball team. As long as DT keeps putting out music, cool. If MP is with them or not, cool. If he does his own thing, awesome. Frankly, I think it totally could have been handled better and a little less publicly, but it's been done.

So, looking to the future, what drummers would you like to see with DT? Morgan Ågren comes to mind first, IMO.

shanejohnson02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #618
SS.org Regular

Hollowman is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Oh and I did forget one thing....

Hollowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:16 PM   #619
Foolish Mortal

Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.Xaios can play Erotomania with his toes.
We should start refering to everything as it relates to Mike Portnoy.

This news is Portnoy Rating of 3.7 Mikeys on the Portnoy Scale.

You won't be able to comprehend this system because your brain is only a 0.4 Portnoy.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:51 PM   #620
ss.org Regular

G33Kster is a jewel in the rough
Besides just needing a new drummer, DT is missing some other key pieces. Portnoy did drums, songwriting, backup vocals, and gig arrangements. Yes, the backup vocals can be takes up by the other members. Yes, the gig arrangements can be made by someone else. Obviously the drumming will be done by someone else.
What's left is the songwriting. Previously, the other members have written songs. The difference I find is the content of the lyrics. Mike's lyrics always seemed so deep to me, and more meaningful than the lyrics written by other members. His lyrics are what separated DT from most other prog metal bands.
My example is as follows:
The Best of Times - written by Portnoy
The Dark Eternal Night - written by Petrucci
Listen to both. Compare. Look up the wikipedia articles on both.
I'm not saying the other members suck at writing lyrics, they do a good job. What I'm saying is that Portnoy's lyrics are what made me listen to DT in the first place.
G33Kster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 05:58 PM   #621
[10]

Quote:
Originally Posted by G33Kster View Post
Besides just needing a new drummer, DT is missing some other key pieces. Portnoy did drums, songwriting, backup vocals, and gig arrangements. Yes, the backup vocals can be takes up by the other members. Yes, the gig arrangements can be made by someone else. Obviously the drumming will be done by someone else.
What's left is the songwriting. Previously, the other members have written songs. The difference I find is the content of the lyrics. Mike's lyrics always seemed so deep to me, and more meaningful than the lyrics written by other members. His lyrics are what separated DT from most other prog metal bands.
I'm not saying the other members suck at writing lyrics, they do a good job. What I'm saying is that Portnoy's lyrics are what made me listen to DT in the first place.
Don't worry, Portnoy will have a new band, since he has so many projects going on.

He'll probably call it, Aspiration Cinema, or something.

ESP M-II -> Randall Diavlo 100 -> Mesa Rectifier 4x12 and 2x12.
Unread 12-23-2010, 06:10 PM   #622
SS.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanejohnson02 View Post

So, looking to the future, what drummers would you like to see with DT? Morgan Ågren comes to mind first, IMO.
Considering they already have a drummer, there's not much point in speculation now.
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #623
SS.org Regular

progmetaldan is a glorious beacon of lightprogmetaldan is a glorious beacon of lightprogmetaldan is a glorious beacon of light
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by G33Kster View Post
That's example has pretty much taken Petrucci's worst and Portnoy's best lyrics though imo. The Best Of Times and A Change Of Seasons had great lyrics, but frankly most of Portnoys other contributions were just full of angst or try-hard metalness.

Get John Myung back in amongst the lyrics imo, he wrote Learning To Live, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Trial Of Tears and Fatal Tragedy, all very well written songs, and so long as Petrucci steers clear of the 'horror' stuff his songs are very good also. All the music was always a whole band thing anyway, so I don't think that'll be an issue at all.
progmetaldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #624
ss.org Regular

G33Kster is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmetaldan View Post
That's example has pretty much taken Petrucci's worst and Portnoy's best lyrics though imo. The Best Of Times and A Change Of Seasons had great lyrics, but frankly most of Portnoys other contributions were just full of angst or try-hard metalness.

Get John Myung back in amongst the lyrics imo, he wrote Learning To Live, Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Trial Of Tears and Fatal Tragedy, all very well written songs, and so long as Petrucci steers clear of the 'horror' stuff his songs are very good also. All the music was always a whole band thing anyway, so I don't think that'll be an issue at all.
All very valid points
G33Kster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 10:29 PM   #625
SS.org Regular

slapnutz is a jewel in the rough
Who wrote Space Dye Vest and also Wait for Sleep?

I love those lyrics... especially Wait for Sleep.

MP? JP? .... please dont tell me it was Kevin Moore?
slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote