homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #1
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Swede-core, without the suck and the polish.

Hi all.

We all know how the mallcore movement has appropriated the ear for melody that the old dudes like At The Gates had, and we all know they totally neutered it and turned it into this generation's Nu-metal.
In Flames started sucking 10 years ago, and Soilwork did the same, but somehow this has come to be associated with "The Swedish Sound"..

But NO MORE! I say.. No more shall my brethren from across Øresund be blamed for the absolute donkey shite that is the last five years of crap albums from Silently I Lay Weeping In July or whatthe....ever.

This thread, is where we remind each other just how ....ing awesome the swedish Metal, Hardcore- and Punk scene was, and still is.
Warning: There be lots of HM-2 ahead.

I'll start off:

Title translates to "Black Angels of The Apocalypse", but .... it, it sounds so much more badass in swedish.

This band just kicks ass.

Dismemeber. Boss HM-2. .... you.

Carry on, Lads!
Loomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 11-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #2
ss.org Regular

mayx is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't forget these guys:

mayx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Ikebana Noise Club

ry_z is a name known to allry_z is a name known to allry_z is a name known to allry_z is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loomer View Post
Dismemeber. Boss HM-2. .... you.

You bite at TVs, what do they taste like?
Last.fm
ry_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #4
Comfortably Dumb

Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Loomer is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Also, these guys may be american, but they sure as all .... are DOIN IT RITE:

Black Breath. They pretty much sound more like Entombed, than Entombed, but they are a prime (and lonely) example of Americans appropriating something iconically Swedish and not sucking.

Iconically swedish in this case means the Boss HM-2 and I know that it is a Japanese invention but I still say it is iconically swedish BECAUSE .... YOU KIDDO

I saw these guys live a few weeks ago, and I really love what they're doing. They are by no means reinventing the wheel, or anything else, but they just concentrate on rocking the .... out and riffing people's faces off, and I can appreciate that.
Unread 11-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Gah... Swedish lyrics in extreme metal = no thank you
If they're screamed so you can barely hear them it's alright though, I'm Swedish and I can barely make out a single word

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
SS.org Regular

Acatalepsy is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmel View Post
Gah... Swedish lyrics in extreme metal = no thank you
If they're screamed so you can barely hear them it's alright though, I'm Swedish and I can barely make out a single word
I think it's better when bands choose to write lyrics in their mother tongue as opposed to try and write something in English, when they only have a basic grasp of the language. That only leads to cringeworthy stuff.
Acatalepsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Fapping to J-rock

Murmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to beholdMurmel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acatalepsy View Post
I think it's better when bands choose to write lyrics in their mother tongue as opposed to try and write something in English, when they only have a basic grasp of the language. That only leads to cringeworthy stuff.
This is all very true (hello Japanese bands writing in English ) But most Swedes actually have a good enough understanding of the English language to write in it.
I don't think I've ever heard a Swedish band having cringeworthy English lyrics.

Schecters don't have baseball bat necks.
Get the .... over it.

"I think this mistake was the equivalent of a 6000 foot tall cock bukkake tsunami-ing Tokyo." -metallisuk

Shono, forever and always.
Murmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
sixstringer

Bigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of lightBigfan is a glorious beacon of light
Mikael Åkerfeldt once talked about how his english was pure shite prior to writing for Opeth. He apparently wrote some songs in his teens that were really terrible, but I'm not sure i believe him. He is the Åkerfeldt after all.
Bigfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #9
Comfortably Dumb

I for one absolutely love Crust and Grind bands writing in Swedish. The Language fits it perfectly in my opinion. I'm starting a grind band too, and I fully plan that to be in Danish.
Unread 11-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
ss.org Regular

jl_killer has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
...Black Breath. They pretty much sound more like Entombed, than Entombed... .

Unread 11-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #11
S-O
t(-.-t)

S-O is just really niceS-O is just really nice
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayx View Post
Don't forget these guys:

Nailed it. Two bands I ....ing love.

On top of bands already mentioned like Opeth, Sweden also has Anata and Cult of Luna.
S-O is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:24 PM   #12
Ikebana Noise Club

ry_z is a name known to allry_z is a name known to allry_z is a name known to allry_z is a name known to all
Quote:
Swede-core, without the suck and the polish.
What do you have against the Polish?

You bite at TVs, what do they taste like?
Last.fm
ry_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
ss.org Regular

Steve08 is a jewel in the rough
This thread is prime

Pretty fun old school stuff, they actually formed in 2006 though. This album was released this year.

INSANE. This was Tomas Lindberg and Alf Svensson's band prior to At the Gates.

Nothing to say about em really... amazing.

More new school Swedeath.

Can't possibly forget Entombed

Anyway, those are some of my favorites... I'd put Stench up here as well except they aren't on Youtube unfortunately.
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 04:19 PM   #14
Comfortably Dumb

Stench and Miasmal both played at this year's Kill-Town Deathfest in Copenhagen.

I, however, missed both of them.
Unread 11-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
surrounded by chairs

groph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud ofgroph has much to be proud of
Well Crucifyre kicks ....ing ass.
groph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2010, 09:33 PM   #16
0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Spaced Out Ace is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Also, these guys may be american, but they sure as all .... are DOIN IT RITE:

Black Breath. They pretty much sound more like Entombed, than Entombed, but they are a prime (and lonely) example of Americans appropriating something iconically Swedish and not sucking.

Iconically swedish in this case means the Boss HM-2 and I know that it is a Japanese invention but I still say it is iconically swedish BECAUSE .... YOU KIDDO

I saw these guys live a few weeks ago, and I really love what they're doing. They are by no means reinventing the wheel, or anything else, but they just concentrate on rocking the .... out and riffing people's faces off, and I can appreciate that.
Hey... Sony Music Ent... my dick is ready, you can suck it now.

LTD H-500 // LTD H1001
VHT Sig:X // Randall RS412LB
Line 6 POD X3 Live // Line 6 POD HD500
MXR Wylde Phase // Chorus // OD // Dimebag wah

Time stood still the way it did before
It's like I'm sleepwalking
Turn into another hole I got
It's like I'm sleepwalking
Spaced Out Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #17
I LIKE JUICE!!!

TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.TomAwesome is deemed true.
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I could never get my HM-2 to sound like that. All I ever got out of it was a broken fuzz kind of sound.

"Tom, you're like 1 part a serious dork, and 2 parts the most awesome ....ing guy ever." -
TomAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #18
Singlecoils = tr00

JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.JohnIce is his own personal hero.
This song was written by a swede:

That's right bitches. We officially invented the 90's!

Guitar player and vocalist of Mark Zero: https://www.facebook.com/MarkZeroOfficial
JohnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
Comfortably Dumb

John, as much as I think you're one of the coolest people on here, I must say this:

For that transgression, there can be no forgiveness...

but yeah that is totally a good pop song just totally ruined by horrid production and even horrid-erer vocals but if someone were to rerecord it as a more organic-sounding thing it would probably be very very good.

BUT OKAY NOW IT IS TIME FOR SOME NASUM

Unread 11-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
SS.org Regular

Inazone is just really niceInazone is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomAwesome View Post
I could never get my HM-2 to sound like that. All I ever got out of it was a broken fuzz kind of sound.
This. Were all these bands running them into clean amps, as boosts, or fuzzed out into cranked amps?

Inazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #21
Comfortably Dumb

Just turn all knobs eastward, that helps.
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #22
ss.org Regular

Islandjam2990 is a jewel in the rough
EDIT- Nevermind. Skitsystem still ....ing rocks.
Islandjam2990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 10:52 PM   #23
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Man, Refused are ridiculously good.
I remember when I first started listening to The Shape of Punk to Come and Relationship of Command (by At the Drive In) and my perception of what punk could be was totally changed forever.
Prior to that, I just thought it was 3 chord Ramones type stuff and the Sex Pistols, and hearing those two albums I listed above when I was about 14 years old totally blew my mind.
To this day, The Shape of Punk to Come is still in regular rotation. I can't get sick of it.
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2010, 11:12 PM   #24
Team Ibanez

mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.mattofvengeance is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 19 reviews
This thread has put me in a tremendous Entombed mood.

Must. Listen. Now.
mattofvengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #25
Comfortably Dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattofvengeance View Post
This thread has put me in a tremendous Entombed mood.

Must. Listen. Now.
I approve of this.