homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree2226Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #1651
ss.org Regular

etcetera is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Great to finally hear the song in good quality, it sounds great! The mix/production is fantastic, can't wait for the album. It's just a shame they aren't shipping the deluxe bundle internationally, so no poster for anyone outside the US.

Did anyone else try staring into the very center of the screen towards the end of the Isolated Incidents clip, in the final heavy section? It caused crazy optical illusions for me, almost made my eyes water.
etcetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 09-24-2011, 04:29 PM   #1652
Resident Fencer

asher is shredding to new heights.asher is shredding to new heights.asher is shredding to new heights.asher is shredding to new heights.asher is shredding to new heights.asher is shredding to new heights.asher is shredding to new heights.
Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Weightless + shirt preordered
asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 01:49 AM   #1653
Gear Nerder

Slunk Dragon is a jewel in the rough
That mix is so much better than those damn previews! Holy hell, I am now super excited for this!
Slunk Dragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:48 AM   #1654
SS.org Regular

drjeffreyodweyer is a jewel in the rough
If someones interested, heres a nice interview with tosin in vienna. (Even though tosin's a little pissed )

kung_fu, EtherealEntity and prh like this.
drjeffreyodweyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:54 AM   #1655
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:23 AM   #1656
progressive insanity

IAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of lightIAMLORDVADER is a glorious beacon of light
@paul waggoner
IAMLORDVADER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 02:12 PM   #1657
What's a Panini?

eventhetrees is just really niceeventhetrees is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
New song - Amazing, LOVE the mix sounds HUGE, this is definitely gonna be in my top 3 albums this year, can't ....ing wait!

Interview - made me laugh at times when he got annoyed, but some of the questions were good and his answer were real good as well.

If you have a minute please check out my most recent EP - TANUKI here:

http://www.eventhetrees.bandcamp.com

Any form of support is welcomed and appreciated

eventhetrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 02:29 PM   #1658
Djun djun djun

Riggy has a spectacular aura about
Saw them last night supporting BTB&M. Mind = Blown; The Strandberg 8 sounded amazing. Had a chat with Tosin afterwards too, nice chap.

Nautilus
Ship Of Theseus
Big Dog Records
Riggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 05:48 PM   #1659
Lifted By Skin

Mwoit is a splendid one to beholdMwoit is a splendid one to beholdMwoit is a splendid one to beholdMwoit is a splendid one to beholdMwoit is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodini View Post
The show in Glasgow was really good last night. I think Tosin must be picking up some heat from Ibanez, as he seems to be mostly back to using the RG and the Strandberg only saw 2 or 3 songs. What a shame.

Tosin was really nice. I spoke to him briefly about my book and the prospect of him and Javier being involved in it. Seemed like he may be interested. Sweeeet! He also mentioned that he is planning to write a book of his own, pertaining to 8 string. Didn't have a chance to chat details, though.
That gig was awesome, except leaving mid set of BtBAM (White Walls) sucked heavily. I got to shake Javier's hand though. AAL sounded tight as .... and great for sure. The gig however was very much watching the guys rip it up and chilling.
Mwoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #1660
What's a Panini?

Weightless (Animals as Leaders album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Track lengths and album length available..... hmmm...

Unread 09-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #1661
SS.org Regular

flavenstein is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventhetrees View Post
Weightless (Animals as Leaders album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Track lengths and album length available..... hmmm...
If I'm not mistaken, this information was available on amazon when the previews were still up.
flavenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #1662
What's a Panini?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavenstein View Post
If I'm not mistaken, this information was available on amazon when the previews were still up.
Ah true.

Unread 09-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #1663
Dragonblade629

Hemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of lightHemi-Powered Drone is a glorious beacon of light
Crap, I only have enough extra cash for tickets to Saints and Sinners on the fourth or Weightless on the eighth.
Hemi-Powered Drone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #1664
SS.org Regular

codync is on a distinguished road
mod edit: encouraging illegal downloading: it'll get you banned every time
codync is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 05:44 AM   #1665
Awaiting Boden8

jsl2h90 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeH View Post

Am I hearing a bass in there somewhere or am I being deceived by the lower register of the 8 string? And did anyone else notice the FX on the ending solo where it went from sounding like a guitar to a keyboard? I get the feeling the new album is going to incorporate Tosin's electronica influences quite a bit more than the first one did.

I don't know anything about mixing or production value but to me it sounds a bit more sterile than the first album. Good to see they're not putting the chugga-chugga on the back burner either. It's nice to be able to clearly hear Javier's rhythm parts underneath everything after watching this song live so many times on youtube with crappy audio.

-In Maya's Grip, Illusion Transforms Verity...
-Will sell every piece of gear I have for an 8-string Jackson soloist (JSL2H8?)
jsl2h90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 06:00 AM   #1666
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsl2h90 View Post
Am I hearing a bass in there somewhere or am I being deceived by the lower register of the 8 string? And did anyone else notice the FX on the ending solo where it went from sounding like a guitar to a keyboard? I get the feeling the new album is going to incorporate Tosin's electronica influences quite a bit more than the first one did.

I don't know anything about mixing or production value but to me it sounds a bit more sterile than the first album. Good to see they're not putting the chugga-chugga on the back burner either. It's nice to be able to clearly hear Javier's rhythm parts underneath everything after watching this song live so many times on youtube with crappy audio.
Ofcourse they used bass on the album. The mix would sound shit othervice. (Keep in mind that 8 string guitar is still one octave higher than bass)

E: Now you've mentioned bass, I've gotta say that the low-end on the mix sounds awesome. Turning my subwoofer off almost made me shed a tear.
Kurkkuviipale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:18 AM   #1667
SS.org Regular

drjeffreyodweyer is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurkkuviipale View Post
(Keep in mind that 8 string guitar is still one octave higher than bass)
Mhh I dont think so.
drjeffreyodweyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 08:27 AM   #1668
Some Say...

glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/glassmoon0fo is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 21 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjeffreyodweyer View Post
Mhh I dont think so.
+1. a regular 4 string bass and 8 string guitar in drop E are the same octave, but the bass definately fills out certain frequencies a lot better. Meshuggah's bassist and guitarists play in the same octave pretty much constantly, but if you ever listen to a track without the bass, you can really tell the difference. matter of fact, most people say that they cant hear the bass on a meshuggah track, i say that's about 65% of what they're hearing . the AAL track isnt quite that bass-heavy, but you get my drift.
EtherealEntity likes this.

"I think he actually means beach wood. As in driftwood. For a sound as huge as the ocean." - TomAwesome

"You can't solve a problem from the same level of paradigm that created it."
glassmoon0fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #1669
Awaiting Boden8

jsl2h90 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurkkuviipale View Post
Ofcourse they used bass on the album. The mix would sound shit othervice. (Keep in mind that 8 string guitar is still one octave higher than bass)

E: Now you've mentioned bass, I've gotta say that the low-end on the mix sounds awesome. Turning my subwoofer off almost made me shed a tear.
In an interview with the Music Zoo on youtube they mention they used a downtuned 6 string effect for bass on the first album if I'm remembering correctly. And if what you're saying is true then who played bass? (I'm assuming either Tosin or Javier but you never know). I always wondered what they'd sound like with a fretless Sean Malone-style bassist.

-In Maya's Grip, Illusion Transforms Verity...
-Will sell every piece of gear I have for an 8-string Jackson soloist (JSL2H8?)
jsl2h90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #1670
Another Sinking Shit

Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.Kurkkuviipale is pretty damn metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassmoon0fo View Post
+1. a regular 4 string bass and 8 string guitar in drop E are the same octave, but the bass definately fills out certain frequencies a lot better. Meshuggah's bassist and guitarists play in the same octave pretty much constantly, but if you ever listen to a track without the bass, you can really tell the difference. matter of fact, most people say that they cant hear the bass on a meshuggah track, i say that's about 65% of what they're hearing . the AAL track isnt quite that bass-heavy, but you get my drift.
Ah yea right, if you play like meshuggah then yes, but I thought people actually tune their basses lower than the usual 5-string B and to me the AAL mix sounds somewhat like that. I'm not sure if they go down to F, that'd be freaking low.

And yea, guitars are built so that their high overtones are emphasized where basses are built from bass heavy materials, which in turn emphasize the lower overtones.

Quote:
In an interview with the Music Zoo on youtube they mention they used a downtuned 6 string effect for bass on the first album if I'm remembering correctly. And if what you're saying is true then who played bass? (I'm assuming either Tosin or Javier but you never know). I always wondered what they'd sound like with a fretless Sean Malone-style bassist.
They pitched down a guitar (digitally IIRC) one octave to get the sound. I guess they're using a real bass this time as they are running on a higher budget. And yea, Tosin played the bass for the first album so why not for this as well? It's just a 'ghost guitar' anyway.

E: I just tried to separate the center channel from the rest of the mix and I really can't hear a solid bass anywhere. My subwoofer is just rumbling. Either they have cut all the highs out from the bass or then I don't know. This is getting interesting.
Kurkkuviipale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 12:31 PM   #1671
MORE RESTS!

Solodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of lightSolodini is a glorious beacon of light
Bass guitar is definitely an octave below 8 string, else a Fender bass 6 would be in the same register as a bass guitar which, with 30" scale and an .084 gauge 6th string, it is not.

Check out my book: "Playing Guitar Musically: A Guide to Creativity on Guitar & Bass"
Buy the full book here. eBook - 5. Physical copies also available.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/4063031-post14.html
PM me if you want to discuss it or just fancy a chat.

I also give lessons over Skype, Bandhappy and within the Lothians.
Solodini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 01:20 PM   #1672
Quintessentially So

Kairos is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I don't know anything about mixing or production value but to me it sounds a bit more sterile than the first album.
wutt
Kairos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 01:27 PM   #1673
SS.org Regular

flavenstein is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I don't know anything about mixing or production value but to me it sounds a bit more sterile than the first album

I agree; the first album had a much more musty, anthropomorphic sound. (see also "using non sound-related adjectives to describe sound")
flavenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #1674
Tranquil insurgent

celticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to allcelticelk is a name known to all
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solodini View Post
Bass guitar is definitely an octave below 8 string, else a Fender bass 6 would be in the same register as a bass guitar which, with 30" scale and an .084 gauge 6th string, it is not.
A Fender Bass VI is definitely the same range as a bass guitar: the octave below six-string standard guitar tuning. A 8-string dropped-E is the same note as a bass guitar standard-tuning low string.

If you bring forth what is within you, what you bring forth will save you.
If you do not bring forth what is within you, what you do not bring forth will destroy you.
-The Gospel of Thomas

...and all took responsibility for their wickedness as well as their power.
-John Campbell

7 strings, played slowly.
celticelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #1675
Needs more strings

EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.EtherealEntity is the epitome of metal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticelk View Post
A Fender Bass VI is definitely the same range as a bass guitar: the octave below six-string standard guitar tuning. A 8-string dropped-E is the same note as a bass guitar standard-tuning low string.

And as far as I know, most 8 string music is recorded with bass in the same octave, Meshuggah style.
EtherealEntity is offline   Reply With Quote