homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

Like Tree2185Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 10-15-2010, 11:01 PM   #676
Wait, what?

Holy Katana is just really niceHoly Katana is just really nice
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
He has incredible chops, but I don't care for the (IMHO) overabundance of sweeps in his music. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think there's a fine line between awesome and annoying as hell when it comes to sweeps.

But, and I've said it before and I'll say it again, most of you guys would probably hate a great deal of the music I listen to and write. Except jazz; jazz seems pretty popular here, or at least fusion is, and I tend to listen to more fusion than straight acoustic jazz.
Holy Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Seven String

Beitrag Sponsored Links

Unread 10-15-2010, 11:03 PM   #677
ss.org Regular

Steve08 is a jewel in the rough
He's pretty tasteful and creative in his use of sweeps, IMO. But different strokes really.
(Fusion/jazz is awesome btw )
Steve08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #678
LEFTY

JohnDillingerJr will become famous soon enough
He has incredible dexterity, and hes a very talented guitarist, but I feel like I begin to like his music less the more I listen to it? I'm not sure why. Maybe hes TOO good for my ears...

Check me out!
Soundclick

Never tell yourself that you're the best, but always tell yourself that you can do better.

JohnDillingerJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:03 AM   #679
SS.org Regular

guitar4tw is just really niceguitar4tw is just really nice
He is awesome
guitar4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #680
ss.org Regular

Josh Geohagan has a spectacular aura about
His sweeps are usually quite a bit more interesting than the basic minor/major forms that everyone learns.
Josh Geohagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #681
edxgxsrfrz

Psychobuddy is just really nicePsychobuddy is just really nice
I find his playing incredibly interesting.

At first I was turned off by the "abundance of sweeps" but I've grown to like it over the past few months. I find Tosin's style is different and has a little bit for everyone, if that makes sense.
Psychobuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #682
SS.org Regular

guitareben is a jewel in the rough
I love Tosin! He has so many unique ideas (such as all the tapping things he does (CAFO, Tempting time), and the his sweeps are usually much more interesting than major/minor arps ^^), and he really knows how to put together a great song. + he appears to know quite a lot of theory, and he appears to be into jazz , which makes him awesome .
guitareben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 12:26 PM   #683
Banned

Koshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of lightKoshchei is a glorious beacon of light
I find his use of ornamentation to be tasteful. They makes sense to the musical context, aren't overdone, etc. This can't be said of a lot of other players.

He also has a lot to say with his music.
Koshchei is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:19 PM   #684
SS.org Regular

getaway_fromme is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm just so glad that he can explain his compositional techniques in a musical context. That makes him a musician and not just a guitar player. ....in Fantastic.
getaway_fromme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 01:45 PM   #685
love & peace!

Cyntex is just really niceCyntex is just really nice
Looking forward to the upcoming videos. I like how he expresses himself talking. My guess is that not only is he an awesome musician, he would be an awesome teacher as well.

I want to get a vending machine, with fun sized candy bars, and the glass in front is a magnifying glass. You'll be mad, but it will be too late.
Cyntex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #686
7ibrarian

ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.ShadyDavey is pretty damn metal.
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
One of those players I still enjoy listening to - for me that's incredibly rare and puts him in some very distinguished company.

Looking forward to the videos

While raping a bear in Yellowstone and snorting coke out of a freshly-dead baby's skull, I finally felt that I had found my calling and built a time machine out of Iraqi WMDs and LOTS OF HEMP WHOA. Using this time machine I went back in time and shot JFK from outer ....ing space. I am now your god - Jeff
.....and then all of a sudden he drops the musical equivilant of a steaming turd right in our laps - ESP Griffyn
ShadyDavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 05:11 PM   #687
SS.org Regular

slapnutz is a jewel in the rough
I much as I love his music, his album must not be selling all that well... i mean he cant even afford pants that are long enough or even laces for his shoes! :P

........ Im just jealous.

Also, EMG TV needs to video all his remaining songs and just release a dvd. I'd buy it!
slapnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #688
ss.org Regular

Rako is on a distinguished road
Such a classy guy. His playing too actually.
Rako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #689
Wait, what?

Holy Katana is just really niceHoly Katana is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Geohagan View Post
His sweeps are usually quite a bit more interesting than the basic minor/major forms that everyone learns.
I wasn't talking about the tonalities of the chords. I just find that using sweeps all the damned time gets on my nerves.

Same reason why I'm not terribly fond of Frank Gambale, really.
Holy Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #690
Subhuman

Double A is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Katana View Post
I wasn't talking about the tonalities of the chords. I just find that using sweeps all the damned time gets on my nerves.

Same reason why I'm not terribly fond of Frank Gambale, really.
I guess I can see what you are getting at, it is a ton of sweeping, it just is not the run of the mill sweeping we are used to so I love it. Now, excess tapping is something that really gets on my nerves. We played with a band this weekend and every song they have has an extended tapping solo/backandforth/harmony section and it drove me nuts. Tosin does a lot too but he is good at it, these guys were basically playing Eruption in the middle of every song.

Who needs bass players? If I wanted something to lay around and do nothing, I'd get a cat. -ArkaneDemon
"How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? He can't even trust his own pants!" -Morton
Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #691
ss.org Regular

red1010 is headed in the right direction.
Animals As Leaders MEGATHREAD: Everything AAL

Is Misha going to be doing the drums again for the new album? Or will it be the current drummer? I certainly hope Misha will do magic again.
red1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:13 PM   #692
Quintessentially So

Kairos is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Misha will probably do all the programming of the glitchy/electronic type stuff. I don't know about the rest though. I'd actually quite like if Navene did the drumming.

EDIT: I don't even think a new AAL album is quite in the works yet. Unless you know something I don't.
Kairos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #693
Dog Sized Bird

PyramidSmasher is a glorious beacon of lightPyramidSmasher is a glorious beacon of lightPyramidSmasher is a glorious beacon of light
I like Navene alot... and I don't doubt he could do great work. When I first heard him in Animosity back in the day, just by what he could do at such a young age, I knew he'd be a name to remember

Misery Signals for life
PyramidSmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #694
Doom man of Doom.

Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/Harry is rather kvlt and tr00. \m/
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Can't say I liked any of the aspects of the tracking and the mix of the album.
I'm not sure if you meant the actual programming itself, which is fairly good, but the drum sound doesn't blow me away.
Don't expect any new material for a while though
Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #695
Banned

Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.Stealthdjentstic is so metal, he bleeds rust.
Feedback Score: 10 reviews
I'm with Harry, I was actually quite disappointed with the albums mix and what not. I loved it, but I feel Misha is capable of doing much, much better.
Stealthdjentstic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2010, 11:25 PM   #696
I play drums!

SYLrules88 is just really niceSYLrules88 is just really nice
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i hope they make the kick drum quieter on the second album. when i put this cd in my car, i have to turn my subs way down because the kick is all i can hear! come to think of it, periphery is the same way but not quite as extreme.

Agile AL-727 EB
Carvin V3
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion G12K-85s

SYLrules88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM   #697
Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator

technomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnatetechnomancer is Odin incarnate
Feedback Score: 36 reviews
IIRC the new album will be written by the band (Tosin/Javier/Navene) as opposed to being a collaboration between Tosin and Misha like the first album. He's also doing a Jazzier side project first from what a couple people who have talked to him recently have said.

Incoming
It's a surprise

Site Rules. Read Them.
technomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 11:57 AM   #698
Banned

paintkilz is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
navene has also wrote some pretty metal riffs for the album too.
paintkilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #699
ss.org Regular

Rudebrat is a jewel in the rough
I asked him on facebook "Did you help Tosin write Wave of Babies?"
And he replied:
"yeah i wrote a bunch of those riffs, programmed all the drums too"

...and then I got all giddy since he replied to me on facebook :P
Rudebrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #700

bulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnatebulb is Odin incarnate
tosin originally approached me to write a few of the songs on the new album with him, and the idea was i was going to program the drums for those songs, but then navene was going to learn them and give them his own flavor
the only problem is scheduling, i honestly dont know if this will work for either of our schedules based off of their deadline, but if i can, i obviously want to do it, writing with tosin is so much fun!
bulb is offline   Reply With Quote