homepage   sevenstring guitars   sevenstring registry   photo gallery   subscription   spy 
Sevenstring.org - The Seven String Guitar Authority
Go Back   SevenString.org > Music Discussion > General Music Discussion
Heritage Guitar Talk - Click here! LIKE SS.org on Facebook FOLLOW SS.org on Twitter

General Music Discussion All Music discussion here. Bands, styles, genres and anything else.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 08-08-2010, 01:44 AM   #1
ss.org Regular

Tomo009 is a jewel in the rough
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Testament in Melbourne 6th August

So I went and saw Testament a couple nights ago, it was an experience for sure.

First up was 4arm. Played well, have some awesome songs. The crowd was pretty weak at that point and the bass was a little overpowering but the mix wasn't terrible. I was still in the 2nd row at this time so I don't know what was going on behind me but there wasn't a lot happening unfortunately, the band definitely deserved a lot more.

Then Dreadnought.... not my type of band, the vocalist was beyond ridiculous in his actions but I wouldn't say they played badly at all. It started to become apparent at this point however that it wasn't going to be a sedate night. Some guy grabbed me by the shoulder and tried to pull me into a "pit" that was just a bunch of guys punching each other. The crowd was packing in and I thought the venue must be full.....

I was wrong.

When Testament was about to start the place was absolutely full, I'm talking 5-6 people per square meter, couldn't move any part of my body at all. The venue had clearly overbooked a lot. When Testament came out it started to get VIOLENT, more than a normal mosh, people were fighting, dragging people who didn't want it in etc. I was dragged away from my friend I was there with about half way through the first song, which was More Than Meets the Eye. I'm not sure what happened for a little while after that as I was defending myself, but i think they played Dog Faced Gods and something else at that point. I eventually found a reasonably stable position in front of Alex Skolnick half way through New Order.

They did play the 4 songs I really wanted, New Order, D.N.R, Practice what you Preach and The Persecuted Won't Forget, the band were pretty amazing, a little quiet when drowned out by the crowd but each of them were identifiable at least.

At some point some guy grabbed my jaw and punched my on the cheek, I have no idea why, but that definitely wasn't the only similar incident that night. I think everyone get beat around pretty bad that night. My friend had a slight gash on his face and had his wallet stolen as well.... A lot of people made it to the stage. The security did their best but they were already understaffed for just catching the many crowd surfers as there would be at least 5 at any one point.

Could have been an epic night probably if it wasn't so crowded, was enjoyable but definitely not as great as it could have been. No real pits formed for most of it, people just trying to force themselves forward and attacking anyone in their way. Some guy also almost burnt me with his cigarette repeatedly, but he ended up passing out anyway so I didn't bother with him.

Anyway thats pretty much it for my half awesome gig report, half rant.
Tomo009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by:
Unread 08-08-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
Dreamer

Arterial is just really niceArterial is just really nice
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
wow, ive been to a few metal gigs, but that gig sounds extra violent.

to be honest if someone started having a go at me...

if you had fun, then its all good

http://soundcloud.com/technicolourdreamcode

Ibanez J-Custom RG8570 TT
Ibanez J-Custom RG8570 DR
Ibanez RGA321F Prestige
Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Ibanez PGM301 - Team J. Craft
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Fractal Audio Axe-Fx Ultra
Arterial is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
Our mix was bassy? I guess we really didn't have proper time to do a full check but despite the conditions, Marita (sound girl) did a good job. It's always hard being the first opening act especially at a gig like this. And glad you liked our music.

I pretty much spent 1/2 of the set behind the mixing desk with the guys from Dreadnaught and air guitaring with Andrew Haug. You should have seen us on Into The Pit.

Quote:
At some point some guy grabbed my jaw and punched my on the cheek, I have no idea why, but that definitely wasn't the only similar incident that night. I think everyone get beat around pretty bad that night. My friend had a slight gash on his face and had his wallet stolen as well.... A lot of people made it to the stage. The security did their best but they were already understaffed for just catching the many crowd surfers as there would be at least 5 at any one point.
Damn, that sucks dude. Hope you're ok and your friend found his wallet or at least made a claim. I saw the dude that got onstage and went all over Chuck. The security guys dragged him backstage and threw him out in the street apparently. Then again, I saw Cannibal Corpse in the same venue a year ago and while I wasn't in the pit, there were similar happenings.
Bloody_Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 04:33 AM   #4
ss.org Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post
Our mix was bassy? I guess we really didn't have proper time to do a full check but despite the conditions, Marita (sound girl) did a good job. It's always hard being the first opening act especially at a gig like this. And glad you liked our music.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-...758_1140_n.jpg

I pretty much spent 1/2 of the set behind the mixing desk with the guys from Dreadnaught and air guitaring with Andrew Haug. You should have seen us on Into The Pit.

Damn, that sucks dude. Hope you're ok and your friend found his wallet or at least made a claim. I saw the dude that got onstage and went all over Chuck. The security guys dragged him backstage and threw him out in the street apparently. Then again, I saw Cannibal Corpse in the same venue a year ago and while I wasn't in the pit, there were similar happenings.
Haha, I'm fine the guy wasn't exactly at his strongest. My friend talked to the security I doubt he'll get anything back.

Your mix wasn't bad, everything was definitely audible just the bass was kind of taking over.

I'm guess they threw out the others as well, that guy didn't look like he was going to cause much harm, hope the guy that ran straight through Christian got thrown out though.
Unread 08-09-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Silence is Violence

Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.Bloody_Inferno can play Erotomania with his toes.
According to Metal Obsession, here's the setlist:

For The Glory Of…
More Than Meets The Eye
Dog Faced Gods
The New Order
Sins of Omission
Electric Crown
Riding The Snake
Legions of the Dead
The Persecuted Won’t Forget
The Legacy
Trial By Fire
Practice What You Preach
Into The Pit
D.N.R. (Do Not Resuscitate)
3 Days In Darkness
The Formation of Damnation
Unread 08-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #6
Silence is Violence

Lots of pics from Atomic at fasterlouder.com.au. His work is fantastic to say the least. There's a fair bit so I just posted my favorites. The rest can be found here.

First off, my band 4arm

Then came the next event, Dreadnaught.

Lastly, the main event. The mighty Testament!

Oddly enough... not enough of Skolnick's stage of the side. But that's ok.
Unread 08-11-2010, 02:55 AM   #7
ss.org Regular

Wow, didn't seem that foggy from in the pit, awesome pics btw. I honestly can't remember them playing Sins of Omission, I was probably strugglign at that point. I love that song can't believe I dont't remember it being there. Everything else seems right though, but For the Glory of.... was just played as their intro, they didnt actually play it themselves.
Unread 08-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #8
Silence is Violence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomo009 View Post
For the Glory of.... was just played as their intro, they didnt actually play it themselves.
Yeah, they were blaring it during their soundcheck to test the PA. What's even cooler was when Eric Peterson was soundchecking to the clean riff of "When The Smoke Is Going Down" by Scorpions. As for Alex, his playing really did intimidate me...
Unread 08-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Dreamer

talk about shameless self-promotion b-inferno :P
nice pictures though.

Ibanez RGA321F Prestige
Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV
Unread 08-12-2010, 07:24 AM   #11
Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody_Inferno View Post

Considering that it's not often one can say, "I shared the stage with Testament", I say why not?
yeah definitely, thats a huge milestone no doubt.

Ibanez RGA321F Prestige
Ibanez RG2228 Prestige
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV